Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 169>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 14:57
VJ

I remember when Jim Levin played for Dublin.
At least I think I do.

[

Edited by Biker Pat - 16-July-2018 at 17:15
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 16:24
I grew up telling everyone I was half Scottish because my Ma had a thick Glasgow accent (much to the amusement of my friends). Also had a Scottish granny and grandad, aunts, uncles and cousins.
As it turned out my granny's maiden name was Murphy and she left Dublin to marry an English soldier, (which you had to do back then, circa 1916). They both settled in Glasgow. 

So actually I'm mostly Irish with a touch of English, due to my traitor of a Granny, who deserved to be hung for marrying an English soldier and for chasing us around the kitchen table with her false teeth out.

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 16-July-2018 at 16:27
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 16:28
Lol, great story Pogue. Actually my best mate's da (RIP) was from Glasgow (I think). He had the strongest Scottish accent I ever heard. I must have known the man the guts of 40 years, had many's the conversation with him. I never, ever, had the faintest idea what he was saying, genuinely! But I kept up my half of the conversations! No wonder he was always looking at me in a really weird way
One of its legs is both the same
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 17:38
"Wait till your father gets home".

Frequently used threat from the Ma.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 17:43
Myself and a brother shared a room and we'd sometimes scrap over something.

Maybe name calling or the like.

But we'd always scrap as silently as we could but sure the Ma could hear us rolling around on the floor etc.

She'd say later "I can hear ye with ye're silent fighting, ye're like a pair of animals fighting over a meal"

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 17:45
Or you'd be hanging around in the kitchen starving with the smell of the dinner in the air.

The Ma would shoo you out of the kitchen saying "you'd think you never got fed.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 17:47
(See "interesting quotes" thread for the story of my creation )
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 18:03
Always hated when me Ma made turnip to have with the dinner. It was sh*te.

Everything else on the plate might be fine.

So you'd eat everything around the turnip and then chance saying you were full.

Typical Ma retort "You'll sit there till you finish every scrap on your plate".

A battle of wits would then ensue until you had so much turnip in your hair the Ma would give up and "run" you outta the kitchen.

Sometimes the Da would come to your rescue and eat your turnip or on other days something else you didn't like.

We ended up calling him "dusty bin" because he'd devour anything

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 18:18
Ha ha, like that story Pat.

I never ate a single vegetable growing up (well, potatoes and peas, that was it)

The first meal my wife made after we got married contained a variety of vegetables ( she loves every and any vegetable). When I mentioned that I "didn't really eat" vegetables, her reply was that immortal phrase "you can eat your dinner or you can wear it". Funny, I've eaten veg ever since, and grown to like most of them
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 19:26
...and I have to say, that parsnip suit looks very well on you.
 -heheh

My mother used to say –"There's a black baby in Africa who would die for a piece of that cabbage".

I'd say_"I can't even afford to go to Africa".  (not really HAH!)
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 19:33
I'm one of ten kids (spanning 15 years in age). In our house the floor was swept after every meal and dishes washed and dried by the younger non-wage earners. Every Saturday night my mother would spread polish on the every floor, put the sisters' nylons on us and off we'd go sliding around the house all night until it was shiny new. 

It's probably the reason I'm such a good ice skater today....NOT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 19:55
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 20:08
My Ma had this yoke she made up herself to polish the floors of a Saturday evening. We'd give sliding a lash in our well used socks till we were herded to the bathroom to be scrubbed one after another in the same bath water. No central heating in those days. Back boiler coal and slack.

Once scrubbed and pajmaised down to the black and whitevtv , rabbits ears adjusted, to watch the Virginian or The Avengers or The Fugitive.

If we were lucky some Cadbury treats were provided.

But fasting and Holy Communion loomed darkly for the next morning no matter how any of the shows turned out

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 20:13
Ha - I remember it well ...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 20:34
We had no money but as a kid I lived the life of luxury with two sisters working in Cadburys and an aunt working in Jacobs. Friday nights in our house were scattered with brown paper bags filled with broken Crunchies, Broken Biscuits, Broken Club Milks,  Broken boxes of Milk Tray, Chocolate Bars and every other chocolate thing that could possibly break. We even took orders from the neighbours...I confided in Bob Dylan the last time we met and he wrote this song about it:

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 17-July-2018 at 20:42

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 20:49
Ha, Poguey, good story ... And a good rockin track from Dylan - who I really only came to appreciate later in life. I never really rated him, refused to bother with his gig in Slane, but have come to like most of his stuff now
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 20:59
I only wasted 3 months listening to Rod but possibly wasted 12 years listening to Dylan. If you don't believe me, ask me anything about Dylan and I'll Google it for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2018 at 21:02
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2018 at 00:02
Remember when your big brothers would go into the coal closet, let big farts, push you in and hold the door closed?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2018 at 00:26
Lol! I was never subject to that torture Pogue mainly though, cos the coal yoke was always too full of junk for anyone to really get in it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 159160161162163 169>