The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 169>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 22:25
Lol, I lived directly across from St. Anne's park. As in, I lived on All Saints Road, no houses across the road, just the park. Dave Cranston (Dayo, on here) lived a few doors up from me, but just knew one another to say hello. Manor House school at the end of the road ... the whole set-up was a version of heaven, of course we didn't know it st the time. As kids, refused to play in the park, would only play on the road to parent's annoyance and frustration! Of course that changed from about age 14, then until I got married aged 29, and moved from St. Anne's. I spent more time, day and night, in the park than out of it, esp up to about age 22.

I still like to get down the Anne's whenever I can, which is tricky living in Stradbally! But, maybe 6 - 8 times a year I manage it. Just a quick ramble round, then drive around the roads of Dollymount, Mount Prospect etc, up the causeway, then home. Magic. Of course it's different wandering the park as a humpy little oul fella, I feel very conscious I maybe look "odd" in the middle of the park by myself, generally get embarrassed and leave pretty quickly. But I try and get a quick piss in against a tree, just for old times sake    all those nights drinking down there, walking through the park back from the Grovevetc, sure you'd have to . I am not a major sentimental type, but the Anne's and its environs makes me feel at peace just being around there.

Hmm, don't think that's really a story, anyway, have to do for now I guess...

Edited by Rahenyrhythm - 03-July-2018 at 22:27
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 22:40
You're not alone in feeling at peace down in the Annes, RR, many of us on the forum feel the same. It's a magical place. Used to spend many the weekend down the park - drinking before going into St. Pauls or down the Sunday afternoon to chat with your mates about the night before at the Grove. We used to hang around down near the river running down towards the old pond - so scenic - we were (and some of us still are) big Tolkien fans and the place just "spoke" to us.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 22:54
Nice sentiments and memories there RR and VJ👍
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 23:00
Yep, VJ, every word you say rings a bell. We hung around there, occasionally run down to the seafront at Dollymount, get driftwood, bring it back, light a fire (now those nights would be few and far between admittedly, and you had to have the lads with you that would go off and get the wood) - we wouldn't mess with living wood from the trees or anything. Fires, of course, would be fully extinguished in the time-honoured manner - see post above!!! The ladies with us, being spoil-sports of course, refused to "help" extinguish the fire. When I think of it

Hmm ... For someone claiming not to be sentimental, and on the forum of a club that closed 21 years ago (there's an excuse ), rhapsodising about what I did 45 years ago ... Hmmm indeed

I could go on all night, VJ, but there is something that calls to us at a very deep level in nature. Couple of times in my life, early Saturday morning, I'd have the park to myself, (well, would be very few around and it would seem like I had it to myself), go for a walk around, and got a really strong "natural" high - as close to a feeing of ecstasy as I've ever been, stimulants or no stimulants! Remarkable stuff. Stays with you, in a very good way. Anyway, enough for the minute, up at 6.00, bed soon enough I guess ...

Edited by Rahenyrhythm - 03-July-2018 at 23:12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 23:02
Cheers BP, I think all the good weather is inducing a second childhood or something...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 23:03
Sorry VJ, you are clearly not Pogue (you're not, are you?)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 23:12
It's ok, fixed it - soz!!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 23:39
Haha, no problem. Bumped into Cecil again today and told him about you bringing budgie albums down - he says that it would be hard to remember one chap, with long hair, in a denim jacket but he likes to chat - especially about the Mt. Prospect Grove.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2018 at 23:49
Ah sure he couldn't possibly be expected to remember us; and as I said earlier, we wouldn't have been up to him all the time chatting etc. We were kinda in awe of him and wouldn't have wanted to be annoying him ... we let him do his thing and we did ours
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 11:34
Great stories ,,St Annes and the Grove will always be connected ,,
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 13:05
Remember your mother making you hunch down on the bus to make you look like you were only half fare?
...and arguing with the conductor that you really were 10.
I stopped doing that when I got married.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 15:51
Lol Pogue, I've seen that go,wrong in my time. True story, I was there:

Mammy to bus conductor - "He's 5"

Kid to Mammy (loudly) - "No Mammy, I'm 6. Remember we had the party in Nanny's"

Cue collapse of entire bottom deck of bus in laughter!!!
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-July-2018 at 19:57
Are you old enough to remember arguments in pubs and with friends about facts?

Long gone- with Google there is no more of that who's right and who's wrong nonsense

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2018 at 11:04
I think pub quizzes are kinda going the same way Pogue.

I remember being, kinda randomly, in a pub quiz thing down in Wexford, our team was me, wifey, my mate and his wife. Turned out the guy running the pub used to be a barman in The Green Dolphin in Raheny - where we used to drink sometimes - I think it's called the Watermill now. Anyway, me and Joe (my mate) bumped into this guy out in the jacks during the half-time break in the quiz. He surreptitiously gave us most of the answers to the upcoming second-half questions cos he knew us and he didn't really like some of the other teams there...

...we still didn't win! Shudda had you and BP with us
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2018 at 14:54
Yeh -I'm a mine of misinformation, I made up a war once.

You had the answers and still lost?. I think this barman fella was up to something.Geek

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2018 at 15:30
Nah, just how brutal we were , I think we forgot some of what he told us, even though we wrote it down...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2018 at 22:08
My Ma was from Galway and my Da from Leitrim.

Both RIP.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-July-2018 at 22:20
Yep, I said it in other thread somewhere - my Ma from Belfast, my Da from Dublin - explosive combination ( and RIP both) - made me what I am ... Don't ask
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 13:51
Both my folks are Dubs - my Dad from Marino and my Mam from Ringsend.  My Dad (Donald) is the brother of Jim (Jimmy) Lavin, my uncle, who used to play for Dublin back in the day.Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-July-2018 at 14:09
Nice one VJ - not as many Dubs as you might think where, both of their parents were Dubs also.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 158159160161162 169>