Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Songs from The Grove
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Grove Radio/The Full Deck Show

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2017 at 23:10
Fantastic show. Thumbs Up
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-May-2018 at 23:59
Is this radio stuff still happening folks? Apologies if/for ignorance, i''m a late arrival to the website and only at the start of catching up ... Some of the forum threads look excellent (various re slow/fast sets, cheating, etc), but conversations seem to have petered out round about 2010/2012? Just my luck, late to the party as usual, be stuck in the kitchen for the night ...
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 10:12
Yes it is. It on every second Friday night and there is a show tonight on Nearfm between 9:30-11:30pm. I stepped down from it a year or so ago and started The Full Deck(which is on a break)..

Both Jen and Lynne with Brian Tucker and Sean Duffy are carrying on the Grove torch.

Nearfm 90.3fm
or
www.nearfm.ie and its available on TuneIN app and other radio apps
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 10:25
Nice one black (can I call you black, we're nearly mates now lol!), will def catch it. Play "Jack the Toad", Savoy Brown, for the craic ...
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 16:58
RR I no longer host the show on a sabbatical :-)

I have played Savoy Brown in the past not sure if I played Jack the Toad when Cecil was in the studio with me
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 18:02
Cheers BR, was only teasing really - the only radio station I know that might have played jack the toad in the past was radio Geronimo! Wouldn't be mainstream-rock enough for Nova I'd say.

Just thinkin, I'm down the sticks - outside portlaoise, hopefully my little banger of a radio will pick the station up! Can pick it up on the iPad via the web address you gave me if the other fails I guess ...
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 20:08
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-May-2018 at 23:44
Well, well, well (as Pink Fairies would have it!):

Listened to the whole show, start to finish. Compliments to the chef indeed. Standouts for me: gimme shelter (with merry clayton)
        Queen bitch - Bowie doing Lou reed
          Waterfront - simple minds

The very last song was a revelation. Never paid much attention to smashing pumpkins since I discovered that the "Shirley" who pi****d live on stage was a fella! Ah no, joking, but they never really crossed my radar - but that song, "zero", was absolutely brilliant. Will investigate more for sure.

Wasn't entirely clear what the "Grove" connection was, other than they said it a few times? But some stonking songs in there for sure ... My cocoa is coming, better go to bed.
Thanks , BR, VJ, and the rest fir putting me on to this station and show ... More later ... Night...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:27
Great discussion going on in the Grove reunion thread re participating on the radio show.

We'll try and continue it on here.😀
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 14:34
Pat,I moved to the radio show thread,thats under the reunion topic,ha ha
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 17:59
Good discussion here and as Sean Will tell you we have probably tree a lot of the suggestions here. Personally I think the show is a great format and we don't necessarily get the listenership in terms of numbers. How to increase that is the challenge. I did the Near FM course last year and was surprised to hear the weekly listenship is about 75,000. How many of those listen to the Grove Show is anybody's guess. However I do think the mire guests we get on the better and spanning all grove eras. We have a couple who met at the Grove 30 years ago next month interested in coming on for instance. Another idea I had was to ask Cecil to mention it again in Howth and maybe look into some players for folks to take away.
Keep it Local, Keep it Near!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 18:39
Good stuff Brian, def agree re getting Cecil's endorsement and encouragement around going on the show ...
One of its legs is both the same
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 20:55
I'm quite surprised also that more don't actually contribute on FB when the show is airing. I think there are far more Grovers listening in than contribute posts at the time. Perhaps they are uncomfortable mixing in the with "regulars" but I don't really know why that would be. It's a shame we don't have more guests on air as well, as that helps to generate extra discussion too.   

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 20:55
Lads - I'll stop after this - what about getting 2 or 3 (max) Grovers in to "discuss" and "debate" an issue around the Grove, eg "why St Pauls Could never be the real Grove" etc - nothing real heavy now, just another way of talking about the Grove etc ... Also:

"Could another DJ (Crusty?) ever replace Cecil - and why/why not"

"Should/could alcohol have been served in the Grove"

Etc......doesn't have t be real stuff, just another format to get people interested?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 21:03
Yeah Mel, I think it's maybe just people don't want/need the extra "work" or "stress" - as they would see it - involved with going on the show? To be fair to the FB heads, there is a small enough crew of REGULAR contributors on FB, (as far as I can see) and , when you engage with them, they are quite sound etc, the same as we are. Like,I don't think there are two "camps" or anything (at least I hope not !) , just people who are more familiar/comfortable with FB than maybe we are? But it's how to draw them a bit closer into the "Groveness" that we have !!! Jaysus, I'm making us sound like a secret society now ... But you know what I mean ... Hopefully !
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 21:07
Well, they may not have the free time or the inclination to post on a Friday night and may be up to other things and/or entertaining guests or out on the tiles that evening. I can be quite guilty of missing grove shows because I'm often caught up with friends playing dungeons and dragons but lately I have been fortunate that the show doesn't clash with my other social activities - I don't tend to go out much otherwise on a Friday.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 21:09
By the way, Gerry, I met Cecil earlier and he was saying he was hoping you'd have spent more time talking about the Mt. Prospect days last Friday but he understood why you wanted to cover different decades/styles. I mentioned that you said that if it were up to you, it'd be 1972 tracks all evening and he laughed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 21:18
Ah it's true Mel, the talking bit kinda got away from me -I'm easily diverted lol! But I will be on the show again and I will be covering more of the Grove stories etc. next time, there was a few things I wanted to do last Friday like acknowledge my new "mates" ie you, Pat etc. But I've done that now so next time I'll make sure it's more Grove-y! I'd do it again next week if they'd let me, but better to give a bit of time ...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-October-2018 at 22:07
Whilst I love (most of) the tracks that grovers play when they're on the show, I especially like the grove stories people tell - its one of the reasons why more grovers, with different perspectives, would be welcome on the show and that's probably where the radio show crew are coming from. Sometimes people make a point (like your one, Gerry, the other night, re the age you stopped going) on the show, without really meaning to and it just gets a whole discussion going in the studio and on Facebook too and the music then just adds to the overall buzz.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-October-2018 at 00:15
Absolutely Mel, makes perfect sense what you say...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223>