Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Grove Documentary Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grove documentary - compilation CD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 18:19

Carol, Cecil has been at all the Reunions in The Shieling. First one, I think ( Crusty ????) was Christmas,2004 I think and then Easter, Summer, Halloween and Christmas,2005 and same for 2006.

Have ya checked out the photo gallery link on the Home Page...........we're all in there somewhere .

Sponsored Links

Caroloz View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
77- 80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 18:56
Rolo I did check it out and can't recognise anyone!! scary. I noticed on the DVD my grove generation wasn't represented :(...was hoping to see my first love :)
verh View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 19:42

Carol,

Who was it - will try & see if anyone knows just what he missed.

V

Verona
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2007 at 21:30

Originally posted by Caroloz Caroloz wrote:

Rolo I did check it out and can't recognise anyone!! scary. I noticed on the DVD my grove generation wasn't represented :(...was hoping to see my first love :)

I agree, and I mentioned this on another thread some time back, Caroloz, re the documentary.  Although I loved the documentary and have watched it about 5 times now, I was disappointed that my generation wasnt shown either (80-86 or so).  They showed the change from the old Grove to St. Pauls, then a brief mention of Pauls, and then jumped, I think, to the late 80s.  I wonder is there any unseen footage that didnt make the final programme?  Maybe RTE will release a special 2 disc DVD set with all the "extras"???

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Caroloz View Drop Down
77- 80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2007 at 04:19

Ah now Ver I can't give out his name on a website in case the others are reading it and realise it wasn't them!!

Brunswick I watched the DVD twice in a row last night...loved every minute of it and scoured the room in slow motion at the reunion but couldn't see anyone I knew - didn't matter as every face and name came back to me just listening to the background music and seeing the old place again (St Pauls).

Now if anyone from my era (77- 80) is reading...did you all know about the compound?? I didn't...and I spoke to my friend last night and she didn't know it existed either so I am wondering if that came about in the late 80's? From my memory the bouncers would pace the grounds making sure we were all behaving...or nobody just bothered inviting me to the compound

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2007 at 09:09
Originally posted by Caroloz Caroloz wrote:

Now if anyone from my era (77- 80) is reading...did you all know about the compound?? I didn't...and I spoke to my friend last night and she didn't know it existed either so I am wondering if that came about in the late 80's? From my memory the bouncers would pace the grounds making sure we were all behaving...or nobody just bothered inviting me to the compound

I went to the grove around same time and Knew nothing of the Compound. Suspect that it came after our time.

A man must have a code
Caroloz View Drop Down
77- 80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2007 at 14:31

Hi everyone

As I said I spent last night watching the Grove DVD twice in a row and was moved beyond imagination at the memories that came flooding back and the realisation that we were a really priveledged bunch to have that available to us.

Anyway today on my way to work - listening to the Grove tracks CD (thanks again Donal) I thought I would really like to write to Cecil and pay tribute to what he provided us with. Does anyone know of some way I can do that? email? email somebody here who can pass it on? etc etc.

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2007 at 16:06

Carol...Crusty sees him on occasion-not too often.

But if you like you can PM me or anyone else going to the re-union and send it to us - will gladly give it to the great man on the night...

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Caroloz View Drop Down
77- 80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-June-2007 at 17:11

Thanks Floydman I have arranged that with muller since.

Grovegirl View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
77-81

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grovegirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2007 at 17:44
Seems I'm the same Grove era as you, Caroloz...Dont worry, I was never invited to the Compound either but,as you say, maybe it hadn'nt been invented yet....I only remember being on the stage . Do you remember those masses of moving duffle coats? And dont forget the Alcove!
Caroloz View Drop Down
77- 80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2007 at 18:32
Hi Grovegirl, yes we were there at the same time. I dont recognise your name though. I think the compound only came in later but even if it was there in our day Id have stuck to the alcove! it wasn't cold and raining there!!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2007 at 23:13

The compound was the grassy/gravelly area outside the exit doors in the corridor (think there was two doors out into it).  People used to wander out into it during the summer evenings for air, and just relax (I thought!!) - there was always couples together out there but I didnt realise (until I visited this site/saw the documentary) that the compound had "such" a reputation....like yourselves, Grovegirl and Caroloz, always much more familiar with the coats and corner of the stage...

RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2007 at 23:48
Originally posted by Grovegirl Grovegirl wrote:

Seems I'm the same Grove era as you, Caroloz...Dont worry, I was never invited to the Compound either but,as you say, maybe it hadn'nt been invented yet....I only remember being on the stage . Do you remember those masses of moving duffle coats? And dont forget the Alcove!

the compound wasn't there in my time! amazing though you could leave your duffle coat up on the stage with dozens of others and still find it easily at the end of the night. Occasionally did find some people happily asleep under them too!
anyone have an Afghan coat?
CP
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2007 at 23:57
I did.  When I went down though, Afghan coats werent really around much at all and I always felt sorta self-conscious wearing it (not to mention that it was always roasting in it). 
serendippittyms View Drop Down
1978-1981

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote serendippittyms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2007 at 19:55

its good to know im not the only one here  that dont remember the compound.never eard of it.,twas just in the door ,up the stage or on the floor(watch out for low flying hair) or down the back where all was black..or down the corridor for munchies..kit kat and coke all round,that was it i think..,there was the loos but funnily enuff dont remember them at all..,mustnt have wanted to miss one single song!

i will always remember the days climbing down the gutter pathouli scented card in hand standing in q underage lynard floating thro the air dont leave me here,wonderful days,many haze,mama wondering where u dare,forget today i wudnt dare,up d grove!la vita e bella.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123