Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pub Quiz

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pub Quiz
    Posted: 08-February-2017 at 11:53
Hi All!!
In case you haven't seen it on the Facebook page, we're holding a pub quiz to raise funds for the Syrian refugee crisis.
It's a music, entertainment and pop culture quiz. It'll be a fun night and it's gonna raise money for a very, very worthy cause - I know if someone started bombing the sh*t out of Ireland (or Sweden) I'd hope that my fellow earthlings around the planet would find it in their hearts to reach out and help me and my loved ones.
The quiz will be held upstairs in the Cedars Lounge in Raheny. It starts at 8:30pm on Friday February 17th. Message me on Facebook if you're interested in reserving a table. We're already halfway booked, so don't leave it too long.
It's a maximum of 5 members per team and the entry fee is €10 per head.
The winning prize is a ticket to The Grove 50th Anniversary Reunion for all team members.
There will also be some raffle prizes on the night. So if you have a prize/service you can donate as a prize, that would be greatly appreciated. Again, message me on FB on that one.
Thanks again for all your support on this one, it's greatly appreciated!
Andy.
I'm not even supposed to be here today!
Sponsored Links

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2017 at 13:04
Great stuff.  See ya Friday evening, Andy! Thumbs Up
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
I spend too much time here!!!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2017 at 04:09
see ye on Friday
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Don Don View Drop Down
74 78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2017 at 08:47
Anybody able to contact Cecil, re pub quiz
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2017 at 16:05
I have met Cecil a couple of times on the Dart and he said that he'll come along but he isn't joining a team. Tongue
Don Don View Drop Down
74 78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-February-2017 at 16:33
great  stuff
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-February-2017 at 10:57
Great night altogether and well done to Jen & Brian, Sister1, Short Haired Hippie and Lynne on winning. Clap
crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-February-2017 at 07:52
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Thanks so much to everyone who helped us run and advertise the quiz, who participated, supported, bought raffle tickets, bought blue dots! ;) to those who donated money, time and prizes!!! Your generosity was overwhelming! The quiz was a total success! (OK, so we had to cut it short, I was a little under-prepared and we were a little under-staffed - I'd been screwed without my man Mark Sheeran on marking duties - BUT) We raised €1405 !!!
The money was transferred to https://www.dahliafoundation.org/ yesterday and Sara wrote us back with this very moving and personal message:
Hi guys!
I'm so touched at all the efforts you put in and what an amazing turnout !!
Your donation is simply sensational, it will go a long way, as it will be able to support one family with food and accommodation for 3 - 4 months ! THANK YOU
Honestly I really am touched.
I got back from Athens in the early hours Thursday, I'm 5 months pregnant so was a bit of a tougher trip physically, but I managed to meet all the families and they seem to be doing ok, adjusting to Greece and picking up English and Greek !! They were translating for me :)
I was also feeding the homeless and making sure they had sleeping bags until 4am most nights..it was so cold and many, many refugees and Greek nationals were sleeping outside.
I always am amazed how my families have nothing except for the money I support them with each month, yet they're always so giving...feeding me and looking after me.. I stayed with one family as the mother has been suffering with severe post traumatic stress disorder and I wanted to give her a help around the house and help with her young son.
Every household I went to wanted to feed me. One day I hate 5 large meals!! as I foolishly had breakfast before I visited 4 households, who had all laid on a Middle eastern feast..and unfortunately it is customary to give you double portions when pregnant !! I'm not sure if I'm now having a food baby or a normal baby!
3 more families are being given their new countries in the next few weeks...so I had the opportunity to say goodbye. I stop supporting them when they leave Greece as they are sponsored by their new legal country.
I have a new family moving to Athens from Lesvos to take over one of the apartments. It is a family of 5. They have a daughter Ariadna, who is 9 years old and was severely burnt in a bomb blast. She is in Dubai having more plastic surgery on her face, after this she will come back to Greece. The surgeon who is doing work is an amazingly kind man, he is based In Germany and did work on a small girl called Athena who was just 9 months old when she was severely burnt also in a bomb blast. I spent a lot of time with her and her mother in Lesvos. She is now nearly 2 and been living in Germany now the past 3 months. The surgeon worked also on her and was happy to get involved with Ariadna. Ariadna used to play the violin in Syria and he was able to get someone to donate one to her.
The nice thing about Athens is that there are very few families sleeping in the street, instead they reside in squats of schools which closed down. There are no shower facilities and some small grassroot foundations are providing them with heaters, food and or cooking for them.. Fortunately the school kitchens are still there and operational.
What strikes you is how well presented they are, despite the difficulties in washing and cleaning their clothes. Also I was really touched with how they personalise their individual tents to be more homely. They aren't very nice places and not so safe for children and women, so I continue to recruit new families for accommodation when I have the availability from there.
I'll try and send some photos, I normally don't like to share publicly as the women don't want to be seen without their scarves on photos and some families are trying to disappear as the Taliban / Syrian army are after them for political reasons.
Take care and I'll see Tina next week !!
Sara
I'm not even supposed to be here today!
 Post Reply Post Reply