Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trivia - music or otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2023 at 11:54
I suppose Pat,hopefully the mystery is solved soon.
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Sponsored Links

ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2023 at 10:45
Led Zeppelin drummer,John Bonham,passed away 43 years ago today...r.i.p.
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2023 at 11:27
Yep. R. I. P John Bonham, an extraordinary drummer. 🥁🥁
One of its legs is both the same
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2023 at 14:51
1980?

Hard to believe it's that long ago.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2023 at 10:45
1980 Pat,a lifetime ago...
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2023 at 09:49
saddened to hear that Bruxelles are doing away with the rock bar.It is the end of an era,as all the other rock bars from my teens are no more... a strange decision by the owners,as the rock bar had a steady clientele,and was an iconic venue in Dublin.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2023 at 12:21
Yes Sean.

I was never a frequent visitor after the 70/80's.

But when I was there in those times it had a great selection of rock classics and a juke box if I remember.

However last time I was in there in 2019 when I was back home for the reunion they had that awful trash heavy metal playing non stop.

Absolute garbage and the people to go with that rubbish.

None of the old classics or peaceful vibe in years gone by. 

I left. 

So if they stuck to that policy not surprised it's shutting down. 

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2023 at 09:50
sorry that you had a bad experience there in 2019 Pat.I would have gone there in the early 1990's,and I loved the music and the crowd,it kind of reminded me of the Grove,so it was cool.It got a makeover @20 years ago,and I didn't like it as much after,so the visits became less frequent.Moving to Balbriggan was another factor in my reduced visits.I do know that at certain times of the evening,that they would change the music,possibly to cater for all tastes,so you must have arrived during the metal set,unfortunetly...
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2023 at 12:38
R.I.P. Shane MacGowan,frontman of the Pogues,who passed away today,aged 65.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2023 at 12:42
That's sad news Sean.

Saw a recent photo of him on FB and he didn't look great.

How he survived this long is amazing. 

He was full on drinker.

But a seriously talented and acclaimed songwriter.

RIP Shane 🙏🙏❤️❤️

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2023 at 13:51
I remember hearing Shane RIP for the first time on college radio back in the mid 80's - singing "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" and thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. The brother in Dublin sent me the first two CDs (Red Roses for Me and Rum Sodomy and The Lash). It was all me and my American buddies listened to at work for months - Shane owes me bigtime for upping his US record  sales.

... he can take credit himself for upping the sale of dental floss around the globe.Cool

It might be coincidental but, back in the early days of AOL I stole the name Pogue Mahoney (pronounced in the American way) from the bands Pogue Mahon moniker. Later I noticed they started using the Pogue Mahoney version along with a chain of New York bars that picked up on it. As I say- I stole it from them to begin with but I'm convinced I'm great and nobody will convince me differently!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2023 at 13:58
Love it Pogue ❤️❤️.

You should write a song "Fairytale Of Cleveland" 😂😂

Edited by Biker Pat - 30-November-2023 at 14:52

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2023 at 15:19
Lol lads, good posts above. I only discovered earlier that the title of their song "Fairytale of New York" - which is going to be no. 1 this Christmas - is taken from a book by J.P. Dunleavy of the same name (Fairytales of New York)  the only difference being the plural in Dunleavy's title...

...every day's a school day - for me anyway! LOL
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2023 at 22:16
My very favourite Shane song

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2024 at 01:19

Very sad to read this news.

Melanie Safka, who performed at Woodstock and won an Emmy Award in 1989 for her songwriting on the CBS series "Beauty and the Beast," has died.

The singer, who went by the mononym Melanie, was 76 years old.

Her children shared the news Wednesday in a post on the singer/songwriter's official Facebook page. "This is the hardest post for us to write, and there are so many things we want to say, first, and there’s no easy way except to say it," the statement begins. "Mom passed, peacefully, out of this world and into the next on January, 23rd, 2024."

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2024 at 07:36
RIP Melanie.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2024 at 03:57
Great news 👏 👍 ❤️

I loved Blue Mink back in the early 70's. 

It’s been 30 years since Blue Mink’s two lead singers performed together, but they’re back.

Roger Cook and Madeline Bell are reuniting in 2024 for a concert marking the latter’s 80th birthday.

Sharing lead vocals in Blue Mink, they collaborated on six Top 20 UK hits including Melting Pot, Good Morning Freedom and The Banner Man.

Originally formed of Madeline, Roger, Alan Parker, Roger Coulam, Herbie Flowers and Barry Morgan in 1969, the British pop group enjoyed eight years together before their eventual split

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2024 at 18:57
Just stumbled on this - Reminds me of the Dublin I grew up in - except for we all had cellphones back in the 50s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2024 at 21:56
Just looked at/listened to all of that Sean. Very evocative, not a million miles from our own young childhoods really - I think the young kids in this clip were better looking than.us and our pals though ...Tongue
I got married in 1984 - 40 years ago, cripes- in the big church in Finglas - turned into apartments now. I remember I made sure I had plenty of change in my pocket to scatter round for the "urchins" who gathered round as soon as we came out of the church after the ceremony ! We seem to have come a long way since then as a society, but sometimes I wonder...
...hope all good your end, we must communicate back and forth with more newsy stuff soon ...

I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2024 at 22:51
Right Gerry - "The Grush"  Usually thrown out by the best man to stop the kids from scutting on the bridal car. I was never brave enough to scut a real car but made it to school many a time hanging from the milkman's cart.

...actually that's how I got to know Derek Farrell....heheh...not really  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243>