Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trivia - music or otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 243>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2016 at 17:19

Fans Lose £5m As Online Ticket Fraud Increases

Social media websites must do more to tackle ticket fraud as they are used in almost half of scams, councils say.

Bruce Springsteen In Concert - New York, New York

Upcoming Wembley concerts are expected to be targetted

Music and sports fans trying to secure event tickets lost more than £5m to online fraud in 2015, councils have revealed.

Customers who fell victim to ticket fraud lost an average of £444 per transaction, the Local Government Association (LGA) has said.

It urged social media sites urged to do more to prevent the problem as they were used for almost half of the scams.

Councils have warned that the problem is increasing, with total losses up from £3.35m in 2014.

Officials say that summer could be "ripe for criminals to exploit desperate fans", with a series of sporting events, festivals and Wembley concerts by Beyonce, Rihanna and Bruce Springsteen all expected to be targeted by fraudsters.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2016 at 11:41

Flintstones Car Slapped With Parking Ticket

Barney Rubble and Fred Flintstone were nowhere to be seen as officials left a violation sticker on the prehistoric vehicle.

Flintstones car

The Flintstones car with a parking ticket. Pic: City of Key West/Facebook

The owner of a replica Flintstones car found himself in deep rubble after getting a parking ticket in a Florida city.

The Stone Age vehicle, made popular in the classic cartoon series and spin-off films, was pictured illegally parked in Key West, with a red warning sticker stuck to the front wheel.

In a post on its Facebook page, the city urged the owner of the saloon vehicle to come forward before it was towed away.

It wrote: "This Flintstone car is in front of 828 Emma Street. It is illegally parked in the public right of way.

"It's been red tagged, but the city would really like to find the owner before we have to take it away. Please help us find the owner of this ride... QUICKLY!"

Helpful Bedrock-enthusiasts suggested city officials looked up Fred Flintstone, who owned the car in the cartoon, or his neighbour Barney Rubble as they could be behind the parking error.

But eventually the owner came forward to claim the unique vehicle.

City officials wrote: "The owner has been located! Thanks to everyone who helped on this!

"And thanks for all the funny remarks. This island is awesome!"

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2016 at 13:02
I wonder if Fred and Wilma Flintstone are married in real life?
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-May-2016 at 15:32

Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood becomes father to twins, aged 68

Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood has become a father again at the age of 68.

His wife Sally, who is 38, gave birth to twin girls late on Monday evening, Wood's publicist confirmed.

A statement said: "Ronnie & Sally Wood are delighted to announce the birth of their twins Gracie Jane (6lb) & Alice Rose (5.7lb).

"The girls arrived on 30 May at 22:30 and all are doing brilliantly. The babies are perfect."

The twins are Wood's fifth and sixth children, but the first for him and his wife, who is a theatre producer.

Wood has four children already - Jesse Wood with his first wife, former model Krissy Wood, daughter Leah and son Tyrone from his second marriage to Jo, and Jamie - Jo's son from a previous marriage whom Wood adopted.

The musician dated Sally Humphreys, as she was then known, for six months before they got married at London's Dorchester Hotel, with Rod Stewart as Wood's best man, in 2012.

The couple first met while she was working at the Theatre Royal in Drury Lane, where Wood was displaying some of his artwork.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2016 at 14:51
Might be of interest to some .

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2016 at 12:40

Elvis Presley Guitarist Scotty Moore Dies

The musician was recruited for Presley's band in 1954 and featured on hits such as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog.

VARIOUS ELVIS PRESLEY

Presley and Moore on stage together in 1956

Scotty Moore, a pioneering rock guitarist who was best known for being a member of Elvis Presley's original band and inspiring other musicians including Keith Richards and Jimmy Page, has died aged 84.

Moore, who played on Presley's first hit, That's All Right (Mama), as well as such singles as Heartbreak Hotel and Hound Dog, died in Nashville after several months of poor health.

"We lost one of the finest people I have ever met today," Matt Ross-Sprang, an engineer at the Sun Studio in Memphis said on Instagram. "The guitarist that changed the world ... especially mine; I hope you don't mind if I keep stealing your licks."

Moore, who was born in Gadsen, Tennessee, and began playing the guitar at age eight, was recruited for Presley's band by legendary producer Sam Phillips in 1954, according to Rolling Stone magazine.

Scotty Moore, who played guitar for the late Elvis Presley, poses in Hollywood

Moore was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame in 2000

It was that band, which was dubbed the Blue Moon Boys and also included bassist Bill Black and drummer DJ Fontana, that backed Presley over much of the next decade on the songs that earned him the title of the King of Rock 'n' Roll.

The hip-shaking Presley soon rose from regional act to superstardom, signing up with RCA Records and topping the charts.

Elvis was the star, but young musicians listened closely to Moore's contributions, whether the slow, churning solo he laid down on Heartbreak Hotel or the flashy lead on Hard-Headed Woman.

"Everyone else wanted to be Elvis," guitarist Keith Richards once observed. "I wanted to be Scotty."

Moore, Black and Fontana backed Presley for his 'shocking' TV appearances and early movies, but by 1957 had tired of what Moore called "Elvis economics".

In the memoir That's Alright, Elvis, published in 1997, Moore noted that he earned just over $8,000 in 1956, while Presley became a millionaire. Moore also cited tension with Elvis' manager, 'Colonel' Tom Parker.

In 2000, Moore was inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame. He was ranked 29th in Rolling Stone's list of 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time in 2011.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2016 at 12:42

Prince's Famed Guitar Sells For Over £100,000

The classic yellow guitar - a favourite of the late musician - has been snapped up by the owner of the Indianapolis Colts.

Princes yellow cloud guitar

The guitar's new owner is Jim Irsay, the man behind the Indianapolis Colts

Prince's Yellow Cloud electric guitar that he played in numerous gigs has been sold at auction for more than £100,000.

The owner of the American football team the Indianapolis Colts, Jim Irsay, purchased the guitar that Prince used until the mid-1990s.

Mr Irsay is said to have paid $137,500 (£103,000) for the instrument.

Heritage Auctions, which conducted the auction in Beverley Hills, California, said the solid body guitar was a favourite of the late musician from the late 1980s to the mid-1990s.

Prince died in April his Paisley Park home in Minnesota of an accidental overdose.

Mr Irsay also has instruments once owned by musicians Jerry Garcia of Grateful Dead, John Lennon and Ringo Star of The Beatles and singer Bob Dylan.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2016 at 12:40
SHE'S NOT APPY Girl asks her parents for an iPad… and she’s pretty miffed at what they got her instead .

Edited by monarch - 13-July-2016 at 12:43
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2016 at 19:09

Eric Clapton to appear on new Rolling Stones album

Guitarist Eric Clapton will appear on the Rolling Stones' blues-inspired new album, Keith Richards has confirmed.

The musician "dropped by for a couple of numbers", Richards told BBC 6 Music, adding the recording sessions had been "like old times down in Richmond".

Both the Stones and Clapton's former band, The Yardbirds, used to perform at the Crawdaddy Club in Richmond, Surrey.

Richards said the Stones were hoping to play some European dates next year and would "love to" perform in the UK.

"I think it's on the menu somewhere," the 72-year-old said.

The new album was confirmed by the band earlier this year at the launch of Exhibitionism, a career retrospective at London's Saatchi Gallery.

The recording sessions have included both new material and a number of blues covers, including songs by Little Walter and Howlin' Wolf.

Richards said the album would feature "a lot of Chicago blues" and would be "coming out in the autumn some time".

"The titles I can't reveal at the moment, for the reason that I can't quite remember them and I haven't got a list with me," he told Matt Everitt.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2016 at 21:09
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-August-2016 at 18:04
Congrats to ELO. Their album "All Over The World...The Very Best Of" is at number 1 on the UK album charts.

Great music is timeless.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-August-2016 at 19:21

Pink Floyd Releasing $700 Bumper Box Set

The Early Years will include hours of rare and obscure material, but some fans are not happy with the hefty cost.

Pink Floyd released their last album in 2014

Pink Floyd are releasing a 27-CD box set featuring previously unreleased songs, but fans have complained about the $700 price tag.

The collection, The Early Years - 1965-1972, will feature rare and bootlegged performances, tens of hours of audio and audiovisual footage, and accompanying books and vinyls.

It will go on sale in November, focusing on the period of Pink Floyd's foundations rather than the heights of the experimental rock band's success.

The box set will include the single Vegetable Man, written by founding member Syd Barrett, that the band had previously resisted from releasing, but some fans have voiced their displeasure at the cost of the new collection.

The full box set is available to pre-order at $699.98 (or £378.38), leading to complaints on social media.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-August-2016 at 16:47
Ripoff!...I wouldn't pay a penny more than $560  for a Pink Floyd album
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2016 at 11:54
The song (Money) comes to mind
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2016 at 13:00
Very clever Joe   
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2016 at 13:02
Anyone else remember when this was the only coffee generally available in Ireland .

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2016 at 18:37
Jaysus Frank, I remember it well. It was like treacle to pour but drinkable all the same.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 14:20
Watching a quiz programme yesterday.

There was a topic on England football players and what clubs they played for.

I had forgotten that Bobby Charlton played for Waterford United and Geoff Hurst played for Cork Celtic.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 15:05
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Big holiday here (last Thursday in November) when we take off work and spend all day eating to celebrate the indians and pilgrims becoming friends. Turkey, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie...and Irel cofee of course...YUMMY!Pig 

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 24-November-2016 at 16:27
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2016 at 19:46
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
Big holiday here (last Thursday in November) when we take off work and spend all day eating to celebrate the indians and pilgrims becoming friends. Turkey, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie...and Irel cofee of course...YUMMY!Pig 

Enjoy ya mad thing Beer

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 182183184185186 243>