Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trivia - music or otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 243>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2016 at 11:24

Led Zeppelin Face Stairway To Heaven Lawsuit

A judge says there are "substantial" similarities between the classic and Taurus, a song written by the band Spirit in 1967.

Two members of band Led Zeppelin are to face a jury over claims they stole the opening chord progressions of their classic Stairway To Heaven.

On Friday, US District Judge Gary Klausner said the 1971 song and an instrumental work called Taurus, written by the band Spirit in 1967,  had "substantial" similarities.

His decision means that Led Zeppelin's lead singer Robert Plant and guitarist Jimmy Page will appear on 10 May in a Los Angeles court accused of copyright infringement.

The judge said: "While it is true that a descending chromatic four-chord progression is a common convention that abounds in the music industry, the similarities here transcend this core structure," he wrote.

"What remains is a subjective assessment of the 'concept and feel' of two works ... a task no more suitable for a judge than for a jury."

Here's the Spirit song "Taurus", an instrumental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2016 at 10:19

Bono Suggests Using Comedy To Fight Extremism

The musician says stars like Amy Schumer, Chris Rock and Sacha Baron Cohen could be used by the Senate to fight Daesh.

U2 frontman Bono has suggested that comedy should be used to fight extremist groups.

In testimony before a Senate subcommittee at Capitol Hill, the musician called on members to take swift action to deal with the global refugee crisis and terrorism.

"It's like, you speak violence, you speak their language. But you laugh at them when they are goose-stepping down the street and it takes away their power," he said.

"So I am suggesting that the Senate send in Amy Schumer and Chris Rock and Sacha Baron Cohen, thank you."

US senator Jeanne Shaheen said: "Actually that's not the first time I've heard experts on how we counter violent extremism talk about that."

Bono talked about the flood of people fleeing their homes and called it a human torrent threatening the very idea of European unity.

He urged lawmakers to think of foreign aid as national security instead of charity.

"When aid is structured properly, with a focus on fighting poverty and improving governance, it could just be the best bulwark we have against the extremism of our age," Bono said.

Bono said members of Congress need to confront an "existential threat" to Europe that hasn't been seen since the 1940s.

Countries such as Poland and Hungary are moving to the right politically, a shift he described as a "hyper nationalism", as the UK is set for a referendum on EU membership in June. 

"This is unthinkable stuff," he said. "And you should be very nervous in America about it."

Africa, in particular, is grappling with what Bono called a phenomenon of three extremes - ideology, poverty and climate.

"Those three extremes make one unholy trinity of an enemy and our foreign policy needs to face in that direction," he said. "It's even bigger than you think."

Bono co-founded the One Campaign, an advocacy group that works to end poverty and preventable disease.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2016 at 15:10

Ringo Starr Cancels Gig Over Transgender Law

The former Beatles drummer axes an upcoming North Carolina show, citing a "need to take a stand against this hatred".

Ringo Starr &amp; His All-Starr Band In Concert - New York, New York

Starr axed an 18 June show in Cary, North Carolina

Ringo Starr has cancelled an upcoming performance in North Carolina over the state's controversial transgender bathroom law.

The former Beatles drummer is the latest entertainer, following Bruce Springsteen and Bryan Adams, to cancel a US gig over controversial state legislation involving the LGBT community.

"I'm sorry to disappoint my fans in the area, but we need to take a stand against this hatred," Starr said in a statement. "Spread peace and love."

Starr had been scheduled to perform at the Koka Booth Ampitheatre in Cary, west of Raleigh, on 18 June.

His decision to axe the show comes as North Carolina's governor tries to stem mounting backlash over the state's transgender law.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2016 at 19:20

Pearl Jam Cancel Shows Over Transgender Law

The rock band join others in boycotting North Carolina after it passed a bill they call a "despicable piece of legislation".

Pearl Jam

Lead singer Eddie Vedder

Pearl Jam have become the latest entertainment act to cancel shows in North Carolina over a new state law they say discriminates against transgender people.

Ringo Starr, Bruce Springsteen and Cirque du Soleil have all taken a stance against the measure, known as House Bill 2.

"The HB2 law that was recently passed is a despicable piece of legislation that encourages discrimination against an entire group of American citizens," Pearl Jam said in a handwritten statement posted on its Facebook page.

"The practical implications are expansive and its negative impact upon basic human rights is profound.

"We want America to be a place where no one can be turned away from a business because of who they love or fired from their job for who they are," it said.

The band had a concert scheduled in the state capital Raleigh for Wednesday but have said they hope to return at a later date.

North Carolina last month became the first state to require transgender people to use restrooms and locker rooms in schools and other public facilities that correspond with their birth gender instead of the gender with which they identify.

More than 160 business executives have signed a Human Rights Campaign letter pushing for it to be repealed.

Cyndi Lauper said she would go ahead with a concert but devote all proceeds to campaigners fighting the law.

Pearl Jam also said it would make a donation to the cause.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2016 at 12:58

AC/DC's Johnson 'Crushed' About Quitting Tour

The musician says being told his deafness meant he should not play huge venues was "the darkest day of my professional life".

Brian Johnson

Johnson has been replaced by Axl Rose

Brian Johnson, the lead singer of AC/DC has said he was "personally crushed" to have to give up touring due to his hearing loss.

The musician issued a statement saying he wanted to explain why the band was forced to postpone 10 of its US shows in March.

The British singer has been replaced by Guns N' Roses frontman Axl Rose for the rest of the band's European and US shows.

Johnson said that he is not retiring and will continue to record with the band in the studio.

He said he had partial hearing loss, which affects his performance onstage, and he was advised by doctors in March that he risked "total deafness" if he continued to tour in large venues.

Axl Rose (left) of Guns N Roses and Angus Young of AC/DC

Guns N' Roses' Axl Rose and Angus Young from AC/DC

Johnson called it "the darkest day of my professional life."

"I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine," he said.

"Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life's work. I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice."

AC/DC, known for songs such as Back In Black and Highway To Hell, was supposed to perform in US cities in March and April. The shows have yet to be rescheduled, but are expected to take place later this year.

"I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances. While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic," Johnson said.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2016 at 18:26

Musician Prince Dies At Home Aged 57

Singer-songwriter Prince has died at the age of 57 at his home in suburban Minneapolis, his publicist has confirmed.

It comes days after reports that the musician was taken to hospital after his plane made an emergency plane landing. He was said to be suffering from flu.

His publicist, Yvette Noel-Schure, told the Associated Press news agency the music icon was found dead at his home on Thursday in Chanhassen.

The Carver County Sheriff's Office wrote on Twitter that an investigation was under way on Thursday morning.

They told the Minneapolis Star Tribune newspaper that the identity of the deceased was being withheld until next of kin had been told.

Price, real name Prince Rogers Nelson, broke through to pop stardom in the 1980s with his albums 1999 and Purple Rain, which spent 24 weeks at the top of the chart.

The title track from 1999 includes one of the most widely quoted sayings in popular culture: "Tonight I'm gonna party like it's 1999."

He was known for his wide musical range, controversial lyrics, and eccentricity.

Widely regarded as one of the most naturally talented artists of all time, he was self-taught and produced and composed much of his music.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2016 at 21:05
The Former Artist Known as Prince  RIPOuch
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2016 at 22:23
Here's a tribute to Prince RIP.

One of the great guitar solos.

At the George Harrison tribute concert. Amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7INsVaR-S-w

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2016 at 14:28

Adele Tops Music Rich List With £85m Fortune

The 27-year-old is the highest-earning young musician in Britain and Ireland thanks to her record-breaking third album, 25.

Adele has become Britain's richest ever female musician after the huge success of her third album, 25.

The Hello singer topped The Sunday Times' 2016 line-up of wealthy under-30s after amassing a personal fortune of £85m.

That figure has risen from £35m last year thanks to the release of her first album since 2011.

It was a resounding win, with the singer's nearest rival Ed Sheeran, 25, a distant second with a fortune of £45m.

The 27-year-old's wealth also saw her safely into 30th place in the paper's list of the Top 50 music millionaires in Britain and Ireland, above artists including Sir Cliff Richard, Gary Barlow and Kylie Minogue.

The only other female artist above her on that list was Irishwoman Enya, with a fortune of £91m. Thumbs Up

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2016 at 16:35

Prince Band To Play Again After Star's Death

Revolution played with the music legend on albums and tours, including Purple Rain and 1999, before splitting up in the mid-80s.

Prince Found Dead At His Paisley Park Compound

Prince was found dead at his studio complex

The band that played with late musician Prince during his Purple Rain era say they plan to reunite and perform again "soon".

Revolution made the announcement in a video posted on Facebook and Twitter.

Guitarist Wendy Melvoin said they "have decided after spending three or four days together now grieving over the loss of Prince that we would like to come out and do some shows."

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2016 at 11:26
This prince story is kinda funnySmile:

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2016 at 13:43

Fans' Verdict On Axl Rose's Debut With AC/DC

Fans from across Europe travelled to Lisbon to see the gig and were mostly bowled over by the Guns N' Roses singer's performance.

Axl Rose has performed his first show with AC/DC at a gig in Lisbon after stepping in for lead vocalist Brian Johnson.

"Nice to meet you!" shouted the 54-year-old Guns N' Roses frontman as he took to the stage, but was then confined to sitting in a chair because of a broken foot.

Rose was announced as a replacement after Johnson, 68, was warned he risked going deaf if he continued to tour.

AC/DC were forced to reschedule dates on their Rock Or Bust tour - and now, the veteran group is back on the road after concluding rehearsals with Rose.

Most of the die-hard AC/DC lovers at the Passeio Maritimo de Alges appeared to appreciate his efforts and confident renditions of hits such as Back In Black and Thunderstruck.

"Axl Rose has a lot of respect for the group and he has the voice for it," said Paulo Dias, 48.

"Of course he can't replace Brian Johnson, but Axl Rose is a good singer," agreed Francis Vega, also 48, who flew in from the Canary Islands for the gig.

Guns N Roses frontman Axl Rose makes his debut with AC/DC

Rose is joining the band for 12 shows

A Portuguese fan said that love was the only thing needed to enjoy the concert: "You couldn't even tell the difference in the vocals, you just need to like and love it."

But not everyone was convinced.

"Axl Rose is nothing like Brian Johnson," said a disappointed Marcos Vizoso, 44, who had brought his 10-year-old daughter to the show. "I wanted her to see the original band."

Johnson, known for his voice that strains the vocal cords, joined the band in 1980 after singer Bon Scott died following a night of heavy drinking.

Johnson earlier said he was "crushed" that he had to quit the tour - but vowed he was not retiring.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2016 at 12:54
<"Axl Rose is nothing like Brian Johnson," said a disappointed Marcos Vizoso, 44, who had brought his 10-year-old daughter to the show. "I wanted her to see the original band.">

Would be a bit of a miracle if his 10 year old daughter could see the "original" band, wouldn't you say.....

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2016 at 15:59
Originally posted by Vinyl Junkie Vinyl Junkie wrote:

<"Axl Rose is nothing like Brian Johnson," said a disappointed Marcos Vizoso, 44, who had brought his 10-year-old daughter to the show. "I wanted her to see the original band.">

Would be a bit of a miracle if his 10 year old daughter could see the "original" band, wouldn't you say.....

I saw the original AC/DC at least once but may have seen them 3 times .The end of 70's are a bit of a blur for me Mel .

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2016 at 19:36
Here's a handy link if you want to know what day of the week you were born on.

http://www.dayofbirth.net/result.php#.VzIp6SFqImY

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2016 at 09:52
Haha...good one Frank.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2016 at 10:26
Rock and roll Frank
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2016 at 18:24

Stone Roses To Release New Music After 22 Years

The legendary Manchester rockers announce a new single is imminent after teasing fans with mysterious posters around the UK.

Ian Brown and John Squire

Ian Brown and John Squire playing together after their 2012 reunion

The Stone Roses have announced they will release their first new music in more than 20 years tonight at 8pm.

The band, who are due to play gigs in their home city Manchester, as well as music festival T in the Park and New York's Madison Square Garden later this year, have not released new material since their album Second Coming in 1994.

After months of hype and rumours, the band confirmed the news on social media, simply tweeting: "The Stone Roses will release a new single tonight at 8pm."

A spokeswoman for the band would not give any further details on the single, including how or in what format the single will be released.

The band had teased fans ahead of the announcement, with unexplained posters featuring their lemon logo popping up at locations in Manchester, London, Leeds, Newcastle and Glasgow.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2016 at 14:17
OUCH  Ouch

Woman In Hospital With Shark Attached To Arm

The 2ft nurse shark was reportedly being bothered by other swimmers when it bit the woman and clung to her, even after it died.

A woman has been forced to go to hospital with a nurse shark attached to her arm after it bit her while she was swimming and refused to let go.

The 23-year-old woman was pictured at the beach in Boca Raton with the 2ft shark clinging to her right arm just below the elbow.

Paramedics used a splint board to support the woman's arm and the shark as she was taken away from the beach on Sunday afternoon.

Woman bitten by nurse shark which refused to let go

Swimmers had apparently been bothering the shark. Pic: Boca Raton F&R

But the determined shark would not let go, even after it had died.

Beachgoer Shlomo Jacob told the South Florida Sun Sentinel: "The shark wouldn't give up.

"It was barely breathing but it wasn't letting go of her arm, like it was stuck to her or something."

A spokesman for Boca Raton Ocean Rescue said the woman remained calm and there was little blood from the wound.

She was in a stable condition in hospital, according to Boca Raton Fire and Rescue.

Witnesses claimed other swimmers had been "messing" with the shark, the newspaper reported.

Nurse sharks are common along the US East Coast and grow up to 14ft.

Unlike other sharks, they are slow-moving and can remain motionless on the sea bed.

They will bite defensively if stepped on or bothered.

Edited by Biker Pat - 16-May-2016 at 14:19

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2016 at 22:29

Sinead O'Connor Found Safe After Going Missing

A caller had expressed concern for the 49-year-old after she failed to return from a Sunday morning bicycle ride in Illinois.

Irish singer Sinead OConnor performs on stage during the Positivus music festival in Salacgriva

It is not clear what O'Connor is doing in the US

Irish singer Sinead O'Connor has been found safe after she was reported missing by a caller amid concerns for her welfare, Illinois police say.

A dispatcher at the police department in the Chicago suburb of Wilmette told Sky News: "Sinead O'Connor has been found and she is safe and okay."

No further details were provided.

The police department had earlier said it was seeking to "check the well-being" of the singer after an unidentified caller expressed concern for her.

Irish singer OConnor poses at the amfAR?s Inspiration LA Gala in Hollywood

O'Connor was recently sued for libel

Police said she had left the Wilmette area for a bicycle ride yesterday at 6am and had not returned.

The 49-year-old singer had recently posted Facebook messages about an apparent custody dispute involving her sons.

In November last year, O'Connor suggested on social media that she had taken an overdose at a hotel somewhere in Ireland, accusing family members of "appalling cruelty", but she was later found safe.

A month later, she posted on Facebook that she was undergoing a mental health evaluation at a hospital.

It is not known why the mother-of-four is in Wilmette, an affluent community along the shores of Lake Michigan.

She recently said she planned to demonstrate in North Carolina, which has passed a bathroom law that critics say targets transgender people.

O'Connor was sued this month in a $5m libel lawsuit after she suggested comedian Arsenio Hall had provided drugs to the late pop singer Prince.

Prince, who died on 21 April, wrote O'Connor's 1990 hit ballad Nothing Compares 2 U.

Paradigm Talent Agency, which represents O'Connor, did not immediately comment on Monday's reports.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 181182183184185 243>