Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trivia - music or otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 243>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2015 at 12:20

Rudolph Does A Dasher: Nearly Causes Blitzen

An escaped reindeer is eventually recaptured after legging it from a Christmas event and nearly getting hit by a bus.

Reindeer on the street

The animal surprised locals in the Carlton area. Pic: Warren Porter

A runaway reindeer caused a commotion after making a Dasher for it from a Tesco car park and went for a Prancer around the streets of Nottingham.

With Vixen-like cunning, the animal made like a Comet after making a break for it at around noon on Sunday.

Witnesses said it could have Donner a runner after being spooked by a car horn.

The far from Cupid beast was later pictured Dancer down a residential street in the Carlton area.

Witnesses told the Nottingham Post the reindeer caused "chaos" after it Rudolph and was nearly Blitzen by a bus.

"I was putting some Christmas cards up in the window and just saw it come charging down the street," Gemma Green told the Post.

"Then I saw a group of people following it.

"It was quite strange. It's like the scene from Arthur Christmas where Santa loses his reindeer. I thought I was seeing things at first."

The organiser of the event, Animal Company, said the animal was safely tracked down to a garden and tempted back into a truck.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2015 at 15:17
Boxing Day takes place on December 26th and is only celebrated in a few countries. It was started in the UK about 800 years ago, during the Middle Ages. It was the day when the alms box, collection boxes for the poor often kept in churches, were traditionally opened so that the contents could be distributed to poor people. Some churches still open these boxes on Boxing Day.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-December-2015 at 19:43
Never knew where the term "boxing day" came from.  Cheers Pat. Thumbs Up
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-February-2016 at 16:57
On this day in 1955, sales of 45 rpm records outsold 78 rpm discs in the US for the first time. The number 45 came from taking 78 and subtracting Columbia's 33 rpm.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2016 at 17:21

Rupert Murdoch Ties The Knot With Jerry Hall

The couple were spotted together at the Rugby World Cup final last October and announced their engagement in January.

Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall wedding

Mr Murdoch and his new bride

Media mogul Rupert Murdoch has married Jerry Hall in London.

Mr Murdoch smiled for photographers next to the actress and former model, who was wearing a trench coat and flat shoes as she left Spencer House.

He later tweeted: "Feel like the luckiest AND happiest man in world."

Spencer House is described on its website as "one of the most sumptuous private residences ever built" in the capital.

The couple will hold a private ceremony of celebration on Saturday at St Bride's Church on Fleet Street.

The church, which has space for 150 to 200 guests, will be closed to the public for the day.

Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall wedding

The couple are all smiles as they prepare to leave Spencer House

The marriage is the fourth for 84-year-old Mr Murdoch and the second for Ms Hall, 59, who had a long relationship with Sir Mick Jagger.

Mr Murdoch and Ms Hall were spotted together at the Rugby World Cup final at Twickenham on 31 October last year and announced their engagement in The Times on 12 January.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2016 at 17:23

Gallagher: I Told Cohen I'd Stab Both His Eyes

The singer, who partly inspired Sacha Baron Cohen's latest character, responds to claims about a threat he made to the comedian.

WGSN Global Fashion Awards

Liam Gallagher has clarified that he threatened to stab Sacha Baron Cohen in both eyes - not just the one, as the comedian has claimed.

Cohen, who has said his look in new film Grimsby was influenced by the Mancunian singer, said Gallagher made the threat when the pair met at the 2012 GQ Awards.

According to Cohen, Gallagher said: "You know what, I'm going to stab you. I'm going to stab you in the eye."

In response to Cohen's claims, a spokeswoman for Gallagher said: "Liam wants to clarify that it wasn't just the one eye, it was both."

The heated exchange took place when Gallagher challenged Cohen about why he had not told a planned joke about the singer in his acceptance speech at the awards.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2016 at 17:25

One of the founding members of experimental rock group The Velvet Underground is to give a one-off performance of the band's legendary debut album

Welsh-born John Cale, 73, will play songs at the city's Philharmonie de Paris venue from The Velvet Underground & Nico, which was released in 1967.

The album delved into drug use and non-traditional sexuality and featured the German model and singer Nico as a vocalist.

Pete Doherty and Carl Barat perform live at The Forum

Libertines Pete Doherty and Carl Barat will guest at the Paris gig

Collaborators lined up to perform at the Paris concert on 3 April include Pete Doherty and Carl Barat from The Libertines, French actress and singer Lou Dillon, and Nick Franglen from Lemon Jelly.

The concert takes place almost three years after the death of the group's lead singer and co-founder Lou Reed.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-March-2016 at 17:28

Vienna Police Fine Man Over Loud Burp

A man has been fined €70 (£54) for burping too loudly in a Vienna park after feasting on a kebab.

Barman Edin Mehic was given a ticket after letting loose within earshot of a policeman on 7 February.

The ticket, posted on his Facebook page, says he offended "public decency with a loud belch next to a police officer".

Mr Mehic said he had eaten the kebab and was enjoying a Sunday stroll in the city's Prater park when he burped and "felt a hand on his shoulder".

Couple walking on tree-lined path

Mr Mehic was apprehended during a Sunday stroll in idyllic Prater park

According to his Facebook post, the officer was not impressed when he asked why he was not dealing with more serious matters.

Police spokesman Roman Hahslinger confirmed the belching offence had taken place.

In a quest for justice, more than 100 people have said they will attend a flash mob near the scene of the crime on Saturday.

Burgtheater and St. Stephens cathedral in Vienna

Vienna is the world's best city to live in, according to a study

Mr Mehic plans to appeal against the fine.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 10:13

AC/DC Halts Tour Over 'Total Deafness' Fears

The rock band's lead singer is told to stop performing immediately by doctors, as there is a real risk he could lose his hearing.

Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson, 68, joined the Australian band in 1980

AC/DC have postponed the 10 remaining shows of their US tour after lead singer Brian Johnson was told he risked total deafness if he continues to perform.

In a statement, the band said those rescheduled gigs will likely be with a guest vocalist.

The cancellations have left fans uncertain of whether the long-running group are going to play the European leg of their Rock Or Bust tour, which is due to begin on 7 May in Lisbon.

Johnson had been advised to stop touring immediately by doctors.

He had joined AC/DC in 1980 after the band's former lead singer, Bon Scott, died following a night of heavy drinking.

Concerns over the 68-year-old's hearing are the latest problem to hit the group's ageing members.

In September 2014, one founding member of AC/DC, Malcolm Young, left permanently at the age of 61 after he was diagnosed with dementia.

Last July, the band parted ways with Phil Rudd after he was convicted of threatening to kill an employee, and pleaded guilty to possessing marijuana and methamphetamine.

The drummer was sentenced to eight months of home detention by a judge in New Zealand.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 13:51

Bill Wyman Diagnosed With Prostate Cancer

The former Rolling Stones bass player is expected to make a "full recovery" after the disease was caught early.

Former Rolling Stones member Wyman arrives for the world premiere of &quot;Crossfire Hurricane&quot; in London

Bill Wyman played bass with The Rolling Stones for 31 years

Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman has been diagnosed with prostate cancer but is expected to make a "full recovery".

A spokesman for the 79-year-old said he has already started treatment and the disease was caught in the "early stages".

Wyman was born in southeast London in October 1936, and joined the Stones as the band's bass player in 1962, when the group had just started and was playing small gigs around London.

He left 31 years later in 1993 to pursue other projects, and four years later formed his own band called Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings, who last toured in 2014. 

Bill Wyman and his wife Suzanne join Bob Geldof and his wife at the wedding of Jerry Hall and Rupert Murdoch

Bill Wyman and wife Suzanne with Bob Geldof and his wife Jeanne Marine

The musician was pictured on Friday at the wedding of Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall, the ex-partner of Stones frontman Mick Jagger.

In a statement, his family have asked for privacy as he continues his treatment.

The Rolling Stones in 1964: (L-R) Charlie Watts, Brian Jones, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Bill Wyman

Wyman (R) with his former Rolling Stones bandmates in 1964

The Stones have continued to record, tour and perform since Wyman's departure, and recently announced a free concert in Havana, Cuba - the first open-air concert in the country by a British rock band.

Wyman has published two autobiographical accounts of his time in the band, Stone Alone (1997) and Rolling With The Stones (2002).

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 13:54

Wife Of Eagles Star Accidentally Shoots Herself

Lana Rae Meisner is found dead hours after police attended a domestic incident - but officers say there is no foul play.

Lana Rae Meisner and Randy Meisner. Pic: TMZ

Lana Rae Meisner and Randy Meisner. Pic: TMZ

The wife of former Eagles member Randy Meisner has died after accidentally shooting herself in the head, police have confirmed.

Officers found Lana Rae Meisner dead from a single gunshot wound on Sunday at the couple's home in the San Fernando Valley.

Investigators have now revealed the 63-year-old was lifting a rifle from its case when another item inside shifted and hit the trigger.

Police had visited the home earlier on Sunday and took a domestic violence incident report.

Mr Meisner, 69, has been cooperative throughout the investigation, police said.

"Based on the evidence at the scene, it appears to be a complete accident," a police source told the Daily News.

"No foul play whatsoever. There is nothing indicative that it was a murder at all."

The source said Mr Meisner was in a different part of the house when the gun went off.

Mr Meisner was taken to hospital in the early hours of Monday morning, according to TMZ.

The musician co-founded the Eagles, playing bass and guitar before leaving in 1977.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 13:57

Truck-Driving Dog Leaves Trail Of Destruction

The golden Labrador knocks the lorry into gear, driving it across a Minnesota street, over a curb and towards a petrol station.

Minnesota truck crash with dog behind wheel

The golden Labrador looking sheepish behind the wheel. Pic: David Stegora

A dog who decided to teach himself a new trick has left a trail of destruction after jumping behind the wheel of his owner's lorry.

The golden Labrador retriever appeared to drive the truck across a road on Friday afternoon in the US state of Minnesota, witnesses said.

The human driver had left the unoccupied vehicle running in a nearby car park.

Mankato police say the lorry ploughed through the car park, across the street and over a curb after it was apparently knocked into gear. 

It reportedly hit a tree and then crashed into a parked car.

Customers at a Kwik Trip petrol station watched in alarm as the truck drove towards them only to stop before more chaos could be unleashed.

The Free Press of Mankato reports a passerby discovered the dog sitting in the driver's seat when he jumped into the truck to stop it.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 13:59

'Scooby Doo' Van In 100mph Police Chase

Scooby Doo Van In High Speed US Chase

An image of the van owned by Sharon Kay Turman PIC: KRCR

A van made to look like the famous Mystery Machine from the Scooby Doo cartoon series has been involved in a 100mph police chase.

The driver, 51-year-old Sharon Kay Turman, managed to evade Redding police during Sunday's chase in northern California and is still on the run.

She is now wanted for alleged probation violations.

KRCR news said Turman's 1994 Chrysler Town and Country minivan had been painted to resemble the van of cartoon fame.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Don Don View Drop Down
74 78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don Don Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2016 at 14:04
Nice photos Pat, I am trying (without success) to upload a photo of the GROVE Pub in Friar Street Liverpool.
I was on my way to Goodison Park a few weeks ago by bus to watch a usual Home defeat.

Perhaps you can upload it Pat,Your a genius when it comes to photos

Gerry
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-March-2016 at 11:52

Sir George Martin: Tributes To A 'Visionary'

Ringo Starr thanks "the fifth Beatle" for "all your love and kindness" as the music world pays tribute to the record producer.

09:41, UK, Wednesday 09 March 2016

Sir George Martin Pictured In The Studio.

Sir George Martin at work in the studio

Tributes have been paid to record producer Sir George Martin, who was nicknamed "the fifth Beatle", after his death at the age of 90.

Sir George's manager Adam Sharp said he was a "true gentleman to the end".

He said: "The family would like to thank everyone for their thoughts, prayers and messages of support.

"In a career that spanned seven decades he was an inspiration to many and is recognised globally as one of music's most creative talents.

"He was a true gentleman to the end.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2016 at 14:53

Martian Meal: Tomatoes Grown In 'Space' Soil

Soil taken from a volcano in Hawaii - which mimics Mars conditions - is used to grow peas, tomatoes and radishes.

Mars Food

Plump tomatoes dangle from one of the plants. Pics: Wieger Wamelink

Experimental crops grown in 'Martian' soil have been harvested - and the tomatoes are out of this world.

Ten different crops have been grown by researchers in the Netherlands, using soil taken from a volcano in Hawaii designed to mimic conditions found on Mars.

In the latest experiment the team grew peas, rocket, radishes and cress, along with leeks, spinach and chives.

But it was the tomatoes that were perhaps the most impressive - with images released showing plump produce with a vibrant red colour.

Mars Food

A plant shoot peeps through a crack in the soil

While the Mars-equivalent soil produced slightly fewer crops than regular Earth soil, the results suggest that early colonisers could be able to sustainably feed themselves.

Lead researcher Wieger Wamelink said: "It shows that the Mars soil simulant has great potential when properly prepared and watered."

The volcanic soil was mixed with fresh cut grass in shallow trays, while a control tray contained regular Earth compost.

But before you decide to pack your bags for Mars - there are a couple of issues to note with the experiment.

Mars Food

The plants are likely to be grown underground on Mars, at first

While the soil resembled that found on Mars, the experiment did not mimic the other conditions found on the Red Planet - such as extreme temperatures and harsh space radiation.

Instead, the crops enjoyed stable humidity, light and temperature.

Mr Wamelink said this is because the first crops grown on Mars are likely to be grown in underground rooms.

And while some of the crops look good enough to eat, we're not quite sure whether we could.

Mars Food

A rosy red radish sits on the surface of the soil

Because the soil contains heavy metals like lead and arsenic, they could pose a risk to humans.

Mr Wamelink said: "If the components become available for the plants, they may be taken up and find their way into the fruits, making them poisonous."

Further testing will take place to establish whether humans can safely consume them.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2016 at 12:20

Madonna has caused concern among her fans after some said she appeared to be tipsy during a show in Melbourne.

The Queen of Pop is reported to have arrived on stage four hours late before asking for two Cosmopolitan cocktails to be brought to her.

The 57-year-old's behaviour on her Rebel Heart tour has been described as erratic by some as the singer continues her custody battle with ex-husband Guy Ritchie over their son Rocco.

Madonna, dressed as a clown, told the audience she had never drunk alcohol on stage before.

"One thing I want to do that I haven't done before is drink on stage," she said.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-March-2016 at 12:22

Don McLean Accused Of Abuse In Divorce Papers

The singer was arrested on domestic violence charges in January and is not allowed to have contact with his wife.

Don and Patrisha McLean

The couple in 2014

American Pie singer Don McLean's wife has filed for divorce, citing "adultery" and "cruel and abusive treatment".

The couple have been married for 30 years but Patrisha McLean's lawyer says legal papers filed in Maine cite "irreconcilable differences".

Don McLean charged with domestic violence in Maine

McLean after his arrest in January

McLean was arrested in January on charges including domestic violence assault. He has pleaded not guilty.

He has been prohibited from having contact with his wife.

A statement from Patrisha McLean's attorney, Gene Libby, said she has gained "strength and insight away from his influence and control".

McLean's divorce lawyer, Michael Asen, said his client denies the characterisations made by his wife's lawyer.

He also said McLean "cares very deeply about his wife and family" and that "this wasn't what he wanted".

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2016 at 15:25
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2016 at 16:11

Keith Emerson's Death Confirmed As Suicide

The keyboardist - who formed superband Emerson, Lake and Palmer - killed himself at his home in Los Angeles on 11 March.

Keith Emerson

Emerson was described as a 'gentle soul' who loved music

British prog rock star Keith Emerson's death has been officially confirmed as suicide by the Los Angeles coroner's office.

A report posted on the office's website stated that the 71-year-old died of a gunshot wound to the head.

It also stated that the keyboardist suffered from heart disease and depression caused by alcohol.

He died on 11 March at his home in Santa Monica, Los Angeles.

Emerson, born in Todmorden, Yorkshire, was the founding member of British superband Emerson, Lake and Palmer - one of the most famous progressive rock bands of the 1970s.

Emerson Lake and Palmer

Emerson, Lake and Palmer (L-R)

He helped form The Nice in 1967 before starting ELP in 1970 with former King Crimson guitarist Greg Lake and drummer Carl Palmer.

Palmer said in a statement: "I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music Keith Emerson.

"Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come.

"He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz.

"I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humour, compelling showmanship and dedication to his musical craft."

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 179180181182183 243>