Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Trivia - music or otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 243>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-July-2015 at 10:08
Had heard that before alright, Pat.  Bet he's kicking himself every day of his life, now.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-August-2015 at 14:44

CILLA BLACK has died at her Spanish home, police have confirmed.

The popular TV host and singer is believed to have died of natural causes. She was 72.

A Spanish police officer told the Telegraph authorities are still “awaiting autopsy results but everything at this stage is pointing towards her death being the result of natural causes”.

Black was born ion 27 May 1943. Her real name was Priscilla Maria Veronica White.

Police sources told the Telegraph they thought her death had occurred overnight.

They believe Black, who suffered from hearing problems and arthritis, had flown to Marbella few days ago with one of her three sons.

Black was a popular singer before turning her hand to TV presenting.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2015 at 11:28

Authorities in Russia are stepping up their crackdown on smugglers trying to get round a ban on importing western food.

Several tons of foreign cheese has been destroyed because of an embargo brought in last year in retaliation for western sanctions.

Some of the cheese has come through former USSR states

Much of the food is brought across former USSR-state borders

President Putin last week signed a decree ordering the destruction of the food which ranges from gourmet cheese to fruit and vegetables.

The cheese was transported from Ukraine but officials said it was most likely to have been produced in the EU.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2015 at 11:30

North Korea Turns Back Time In Japan Snub

The isolationist state will put its clocks back 30 minutes as it distances itself from the "wicked imperialists" of Japan.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un visits a farm machine exhibition

The move is thought to be a political ploy by leader Kim Jong-Un

North Korea is preparing to establish its own time zone by permanantly putting its clocks back by 30 minutes.

The move on 15 August will distance the separatist state from the "wicked Japanese imperialists" who colonised the country after World War Two," according to the North's Korean Central News Agency (KCNA).

The Korean peninsula was brought into the same time zone as Japan in 1912 during its colonial rule over the country.

This was left unchanged in 1945 when the country was liberated from Japan and divided into the Soviet-backed North and the US-supported South.

Since then, Japan, North Korea and South Korea have run on the same local time - nine hours ahead of Greenwich Mean Time.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2015 at 11:31

Cristiano Ronaldo 'Buys Agent A Greek Island'

The Real Madrid star went all out when it came to picking a gift for Jorge Mendes' wedding, according to a report.

Real Madrids Cristiano Ronaldo reacts while watching a video as he sits next to his agent Jorge Mendes during a ceremony at Santiago Bernabeu stadium in Madrid.

Ronaldo and Mendes pictured together in 2013

Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo did not scrimp when it came to picking a wedding gift for his agent.

The Portugal captain has bought Jorge Mendes a Greek island, according to a report in his native country.

News website Move Noticias said Mendes, who counts Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho among his clients, married his partner Sandra in Porto on Sunday.

Ronaldo was best man, according to reports in Spain and Portugal.

Move Noticias said the couple plan to donate all gifts of money they received from their guests, although quite what they will do with Ronaldo's present remains a mystery.

Greece has around 6,000 islands off its coast, but only 227 of them are inhabited and the vast majority of those are thought to belong to the state.

A number of them are listed for sale online, and the property agent Knight Frank recently predicted a "fire sale" of Greek islands as the country's financial crisis continues.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2015 at 01:32
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2015 at 15:03
Love the fact that Martin Luther King Jr. got a C in public speaking at seminary school

http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/2013/04/five-interesting-facts-about-dr-martin-luther-king-jr/
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2015 at 14:25

Chrissie Hynde Criticised For Rape Remarks

Chrissie Hynde, founding member of the Pretenders, has courted criticism after saying that women should not complain if they dress provocatively and then get sexually assaulted.

Hynde, who has herself been raped, told The Sunday Times: "If I'm walking around and I'm very modestly dressed and I'm keeping to myself and someone attacks me, then I'd say that's (the attacker's) fault.

"But if I'm being very lairy and putting it about and being provocative, then you are enticing someone who is already unhinged - don't do that. Come on! That's just common sense."

The 63-year-old's new book - Reckless - tells of her punk rebellion, drug-fuelled excess, and how she was sexually assaulted while high on drugs.

She had been 21 when she encountered a motorcycle gang in her home state of Ohio and when the members offered to take her to a party, she accepted. They drove her to an abandoned house where she was forced to perform sex acts.

In her book she writes: "Now let me assure you that, technically speaking, however you want to look at it, this was all my doing and I take full responsibility.

"You can't f*** about with people, especially people who wear 'I heart rape' and 'on you knees' badges."

When she spoke to The Sunday Times, she refused to condemn the men who assaulted her, saying: "They're motorcycle guys. If you play with fire, you get burnt. It's not any secret, is it?

"I don't think I'm saying anything controversial."

Sarah Green of End Violence Against Women Coalition said this attitude was among the reason for figures suggesting only 10% of victims report sexual assaults to police.

She said: "It's because so many are sitting blaming themselves, they are not going to tell a police officer and go through it all again.

"They are thinking: 'I'm not sure it's not my fault. Maybe I should have done this or that'.

"Victims will often have a need to tell themselves: 'It won't happen again because I won't do the things that made it happen in the first place'.

"It's simply psychological behaviour but, of course, it's missing out the perpetrator. A woman's behaviour does not create an entitlement to assault."

Lucy Hastings, director of the charity Victim Support, said: "Victims of sexual violence should never feel or be made to feel that they were responsible for the appalling crime they suffered - regardless of circumstances or factors which may have made them particularly vulnerable.

"It is critical that nothing deters victims of sexual violence from coming forward to the police or to independent organisations so they can get the help and support they need."

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2015 at 14:26

Bikes Are Part Of Robin Williams Estate Battle

The comedian's widow, Susan Schneider, and his children from a previous marriage are involved in a bitter dispute over his estate.

A legal fight over the possessions of Robin Williams includes his large bicycle collection, books and artwork, a lawyer for the late actor's widow has said.

The comedian was a keen cyclist - a hobby which friends have reportedly said distracted him from his problems.

Widow Susan Schneider's legal team has asked a San Francisco judge to help resolve the issue if she cannot reach an agreement with Williams' children.

Ms Schneider has said she wanted to keep some personal items from her marital home.

She has also claimed a reserve fund to cover the cost of her staying in the marital home are insufficient, and her lawyers believe she should be entitled to more money.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2015 at 14:28

That's An-udder Fine Mess Moo Got Me Into!

Officers say the hapless heifer eventually managed to "self-release" itself from the garden furniture.

Cow gets chair stuck on its head

Officers were sent to help the cow. Pic: Northants Fire and Rescue

Two fire crews were called to free a cow who got its head stuck in a garden chair.

The cow was left looking far more from 'amoosed' when it was spotted with its new plastic headpiece in a field in Boughton, Northamptonshire, on Friday.

Northants Fire and Rescue sent two engines to the scene, but said the animal managed to "self-release" itself.

It is not known how the chair got in the field or why the cow became so attached to it.

Firefighters posted a picture of the animal on Twitter, and wits wasted no time replying with cow puns.

User Toby Jewell ‏questioned whether the cow "wanted to steak a claim to the chair" while @BrettWalkerToGo said "it's milking it".

Richard Stanley pointed out it was "not a clever moooove!" and Brendal Leighton added: "Oops, I thought this chair was a cowch".

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2015 at 13:50
Tame Impala top UK's first prog-rock album chart

Who said prog music died in the 1970s? The Official Charts Company and Prog magazine are launching the UK’s first album chart dedicated to the genre on Thursday 3 September, and Kevin Parker’s psych-pop band Tame Impala are the first act to hit the No 1 spot.

A list of albums eligible for inclusion on the chart has been vetted by the “progressive rock experts” at Prog magazine, according to the announcement. Names included varied from those you’d expect – such as Pink Floyd and Genesis – to newer, experimental bands such as duo Public Service Broadcasting, who combine live instrumentation with samples from archive public-information films.

“You look at some of the bestselling and acclaimed artists of the modern era like Muse, Radiohead, Mogwai, Tame Impala – what they do is incredible,” said Prog magazine editor Jerry Ewing. “They are challenging themselves, their audience and inspiring a new generation, and the official progressive albums chart is the platform in which this will be recognised.”

Each month, the new chart will be published online on the Official Charts Company site, and in print in Prog magazine. Its creation follows hot on the retro heels of April’s vinyl album chart. See the first prog top 10 in full, below:

1)Tame Impala – Currents

2)Muse – Drones

3)Roger Waters – Amused to Death

4)Joe Satriani – Shockwave Supernova

5)Public Service Broadcasting – The Race for Space

6)Faith No More – Sol Invictus

7)Symphony X – Underworld

8)Pink Floyd – The Endless River

9)Tim Bowness – Stupid Things That Mean the World

10)Nightwish – Endless Forms Most Beautiful

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2015 at 13:02

Aslan to perform at Dublin-Mayo re-match

The Jacks are back
The Jack's are back

The Jack's are back! Dublin rockers Aslan will perform before the throw-in at the crucial semi-final re-match between Dublin and Mayo this Saturday in Croke Park. 

Writing on their Facebook page today, the band said: "We are delighted to announce that, We will be performing in Croke Park before throw in this Saturday. Make sure you arrive early and bring your singing voices with you. It's gonna be a great day. Up the Dubs. Please share - Cheers The Boyz."

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-September-2015 at 15:07
THE 20TH ANNUAL BRITISH RORY GALLAGHER TRIBUTE CONCERT featuring SINNERBOY (UK) + JACQUES STOTZEM (BELGIUM) + FALL APART (GERMANY) + THE AIDEN PRYOR BAND (UK)

17 Oct 2015 Sat

16:00

Ruby Lounge

28-34 High St, M41QB Manchester

Rory Gallagher was the People's Guitarist. Unassuming but tenacious, the Irish blues man devoted his life to touring and playing his beloved Fender Stratocaster to adoring audiences. He never stopped working, and could always command a crowd, but resolutely eschewed the trappings of superstardom.

Born in Ballyshannon, Donegal and raised in Cork, Rory Gallagher fused Celtic influences, Country Blues and Rock and Roll into a burst of on-stage energy that could go on for three or four hours – Rory never disappointed his fans, they all came out of the theatre (Which in Manchester included the Free Trade Hall, Apollo, Palace, and Internationals) tired, sweaty and happy!

His followers were (and still are) devoted to him, so much so that there are tribute concerts and festivals in honour of him across Europe, Scandinavia and in America. But it all started in Manchester! June 14th 1996 was the date and 'The Pomona' was the venue – a famous Gorton music venue now, sadly in a bad state of repair.

Don't look for any famous names at this gig, the musicians on stage are all devoted fans that have studied the feel and technique of Rory's playing and singing. Nobody can be Rory, that is a fact, but these guys put on a fantastic show, and you will be as hooked as the rest of the audience at the end of the night! The organisers work tirelessly to bring you the best of Rory's music from the best in the world!

SINNERBOY (UK)The band that is generally regarded as the most passionate followers of Rory's music, Sinnerboy play with fire in their bellies, never being afraid to change the music in mid flow to respond to the audiences feelings. Barry Barnes, (Gtr. Vox) David Smylie (Bass) Steve Richardson (Drums) make up this most un-tribute-band-like tribute band!“

"Sinnerboy, named after one of Rory's best loved songs, keep Gallagher's music alive and kicking. Gallagher's songs are often complex, with subtle passages seamlessly blended with pounding, rocking sections and difficult chord and rhythm changes. It takes a hugely talented band to pull off a fitting tribute - Sinnerboy are that band. I have seen some great bands courtesy of Newbury Rock & Blues but this was the first time I witnessed the audience spontaneously get to their feet to give a standing ovation then refuse to allow the band off stage. Sinnerboy captured the live sound of Rory Gallagher and their love for the music they play was clear to see. This was quite simply an evening of great musicians playing great music to a highly appreciative audience.”

www.sinnerboy.co.uk

www.stotzem.com

www.therubylounge.com

www.twitter.com/therubylounge

www.instagram.com/rubyloungemcr

Edited by monarch - 04-September-2015 at 15:10
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-September-2015 at 13:43
"Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Never knew this before Confused

Cobain came up with the song's title when his friend Kathleen Hanna, at the time the lead singer of the riot grrrl band Bikini Kill, spray painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on his wall. Since they had been discussing anarchism, punk rock, and similar topics, Cobain interpreted the slogan as having a revolutionary meaning. What Hanna actually meant, however, was that Cobain smelled like the deodorant Teen Spirit, which his then-girlfriend Tobi Vail wore. Cobain later claimed he was unaware that it was a brand of deodorant until months after the single was released.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-September-2015 at 15:06
Cape Town - The discovery and existence of a new species,

Homo naledi (H. naledi), was revealed on Thursday,

indicating a possible missing link

in our understanding of the evolution of humankind.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/gauteng/h-naledi-what-you-need-to-know-1.1913913#.VfGNZpfdVTY

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2015 at 15:14

Houston To Return To Stage As A Hologram

A hologram of celebrated singer Whitney Houston, who died in 2012 at the age of 48, will tour the world in 2016.

Singer Whitney Houston in 2009

A virtual recreation of Houston 'will be a great opportunity for fans'

A holographic representation of the late Whitney Houston will tour the world in 2016, it has been announced.

The project is being organised three years after the singer's death by Hologram USA in conjunction with Pat Houston, Houston's sister-in-law and president of her estate.

In a statement, Ms Houston said the hologram would be "a great opportunity for her fans to see a reinvention of one the most celebrated female artists in history and to continue a legacy of performances that will not be forgotten in years to come".

The virtual recreation will perform in "a major US venue" for a show that will be beamed to TVs and computers around the world via FilmOn Studios, a live-stream website and TV app developed by Hologram USA. 

After the show's debut online, the hologram is expected to go on an international tour.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2015 at 15:15

Michael Stipe Blasts Trump For Using REM Song

The singer reacts furiously and demands the Republican not use his music for his "moronic charade of a campaign".

Michael Stipe attacks Donald Trump for using an REM song at rally

Stipe hit out at 'sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men'

The lead singer of REM has blasted Donald Trump for using their music at a rally in Washington against the Iran nuclear deal.

Mr Trump took to the stage on Wednesday night at the US capitol to the strains of the band's 1987 hit It's The End Of World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine).

But the band reacted furiously to the use of the song and issued a response on Twitter.

Singer Michael Stipe, speaking through the band's bassist Mike Mills, said: "Go **** yourselves, the lot of you - you sad, attention-grabbing, power-hungry little men.

"Do not use our music or my voice for your moronic charade of a campaign."

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-September-2015 at 15:19

Bankrupt David Cassidy To Auction Florida Home

The Partridge Family star is forced to auction the 7,000 square-foot waterfront home after filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

Former teen TV heartthrob David Cassidy has put his spacious Florida home on the auction block after filing for bankruptcy.

Cassidy, 65, purchased the waterfront house in Ft Lauderdale for $1.1m in 2001.

The former Partridge Family star spent five years refurbishing the 7,000 square-foot, five-bedroom home.

David Cassidy In 2012 And 1974

The once baby-faced TV star has dealt with financial and legal issues

Fisher Auction Co is asking bidders for the property to show proof of financing or assets in excess of $3m (£1.9m).

The auction is set for Wednesday. Most of the existing furniture will be included in the auction price, the company said.

Cassidy has faced a string of financial and legal problems in recent months.

The Cherish and I Think I Love You singer filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy earlier this year, listing assets and debts of up to $10m.

The bankruptcy filing came after three arrests for drink-driving since 2010 and a court-ordered rehab stint for the once baby-faced TV star.

Cassidy's third wife, Sue, filed for divorce last year after 23 years of marriage.

After his singing career dwindled, Cassidy appeared in several stage productions, and even portrayed an ageing ex-teen heartthrob in the short-lived 2009 TV series Ruby & The Rockits.

He more recently landed a spot on Donald Trump's hit reality TV show Celebrity Apprentice in 2011.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2015 at 21:06

Sky gazers look forward to lunar eclipse

Amateur astronomers will be treated to a spectacular celestial event on Monday Amateur astronomers will be treated to a spectacular celestial event on Monday

A blood-red "supermoon" will cast its light on the Earth early on Monday.

It will be a rare chance to capture a spectacular celestial event that has not occurred for 30 years - a lunar eclipse with the moon near to its closest point to the Earth.

When the moon is at "perigee", its shortest distance from the Earth, it is 226,000 miles away and appears 14% larger and 30% brighter than when it is at its furthermost point.

The last time this coincided with a lunar eclipse, when the moon is covered by the Earth's shadow, was in 1982.

During a lunar eclipse, the moon turns a deep rusty red, due to sunlight being scattered by the Earth's atmosphere.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2015 at 13:02

There are fears that Ireland could be heading for a very long winter after the early arrival of migratory birds from Siberia.

A 300-strong flock of Bewick swans migrate 2,500 miles from Arctic Russia to the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust reserve at Slimbridge, Gloucestershire each year and their arrival is used as a sign to say that winter has arrived.

It is the earliest arrival of the birds since 1963 and their presence has led many to believe that western Europe is in store for a long, harsh winter.

The first of the birds began arriving on Monday, 25 days ahead of this time last year.

Bewick swans are red-listed in Ireland due to a severe decline in the number of the birds wintering in Ireland.

Slimbridge swan expert Julia Newth told the Daily Telegraph: "Apparently there's a Russian saying that 'the swan brings snow on its bill', because they tend to move just ahead of the cold weather.

"Of course, we can't infer much from the arrival of a single swan but it's certainly exciting this bird has arrived so early.

"It's only a year old and, because it's made it all the way here on its own, we assume that it must have come to Slimbridge last year as a cygnet with its parents.

"We record all the Bewick's swans that come to Slimbridge each winter by their unique bill pattern as part of our study and give them a name.

"This one needed a name, so we've called him Record Breaker."

El Niño is also underway in the tropical Pacific, which has further fuelled speculation that Europe is in for a longer and colder winter than usual.

Met Eireann are expecting ground frost in places throughout this week as our spell of settled weather continues. It should be dry until the weekend but they are warning of fog and frost developing overnight.

A polar continental air mass will make it feel very chilly all week.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 177178179180181 243>