Trivia - music or otherwise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 243>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trivia - music or otherwise
    Posted: 02-April-2024 at 13:46
Lol Pogue πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-April-2024 at 13:43
I tried that once, back when crucifixion was very popular. They asked me to cross my feet –"...'coz we only have one nail left"
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2024 at 09:39
Sounds like a lot of fun OK Pat  - apart from the nailing to the cross bits Confused.

Very interesting all the same  thanks for sharing that info.

Happy Easter, have a lovely day...Smile
One of its legs is both the same
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2024 at 07:04

Gerry,

You asked the question on the Grove Radio show the other night about Easter here in the Philippines.

Easter is huge here and Holy Week up to Easter Sunday is celebrated in different ways according to many traditions.

Here in the province where we live there are processions, fiesta style celebrations, church activities and other assorted events.

In the capital city Manila things are quite different and on a much larger scale.

There are massive processions involving huge gatherings of people.

However there are the more brutal style of activities.

For example people carry a cross and a lot of flagalations or whipping of the cross bearer happens. 

Others get nailed to a cross and allegedly these are people who consider they have sinned in some way by committing serious offences that went unpunished and in this way they are seeking redemption for their sinful acts.

In Manila millions of people follow an adorned truck carrying a  black Nazarine  statue which is considered most sacred and has allegedly miraculous healing powers. As it moves along at pace from one place to another millions follow it in a frenzy of chanting trying to touch the sacred statue. Most of these people will have been fasting since Good Friday. During this frenzied procession many die as a result of being stampeded on, from exhaustion, dehydration from the crazy heat and other things like heart attacks. Those that die believe their death to be worth it.

I have never attended nor will I ever attend such gatherings.

They are barbaric and crazy to me to say the least but are considered traditions here.

On a lighter note Easter eggs don't feature here. Easter Sunday is a big family day with hundreds of people gathering at each other's homes, beaches, parks etc...to share lots of food and drinks and party because The Lord has arisen.

Throughout the year many fiestas are held all over the Philippines commerating whatever Saint represents that region, city or town.

Indeed in May there are hundreds of fiestas all over Bohol our province and we have been invited by a dear friend to one near our home. These are really just parties where you bring food, a cake, drinks etc...to share with everyone else. 

Ours will happen on 3rd of May.

So there you have it Gerry. 

They have a saying here " it's more fun in the Philippines" πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2024 at 14:17
Brits complaining about EU passport rules.

They should have thought about this before they voted to leave.

Serves them right 😊😊😊

Disappointed holidaymakers whose EU travel plans were ruined when they were caught out by the "10-year-passport rule" have been speaking to the BBC.

Until 2018, UK travellers could transfer up to nine months from an old passport on to a new one. But post-Brexit, EU countries will not accept passports more than 10 years old.

Those who were unaware of the change were turned away by passport control.

Some were able to rebook trips, but no one we spoke to was reimbursed.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2024 at 12:04
Frightening statistic.

Access to clean and safe water is the "great connector" of our world and critical in promoting peace, according to the 2024 United Nations World Water Development Report released on World Water Day.

Globally, 2.2 billion people still live without access to safely managed drinking water and 3.5 billion people lack access to safely managed sanitation, according to the report.

The international agency's report aims to highlight how tensions over water access are leading to scarcity and stress over the essential resource β€” exacerbating conflicts across the world

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-March-2024 at 03:33
TrΓ¨s DrΓ΄le Pogue πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2024 at 17:13
Serge Gainsburg always reminds me of that joke: 

Q: How do you know ET is French?

Ans: Because he looks it 

Hrngh Hrngh -Smile  <---------French laugh

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 22-March-2024 at 17:43
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2024 at 13:06
Lol Pogue.

Unfortunately Jane did pass away on 16th July last year. 

She was 76. 

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2024 at 12:41
OOOPS! Jane died way back in 2023 - I should start reading newspapers Ermm
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2024 at 12:34
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2024 at 08:08
Interesting bit of music trivia here

Remembering songwriter, vocalist, drummer and keyboard player JOHN "SPEEDY" KEEN (29 Mar 1945– 12 Mar 2002), best known for his association with the rock band THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN. 

He wrote SOMETHING IN THE AIR (1969) for the band, which reached No. 1 in the UK Singles Chart. He also released two solo albums. A former member of several struggling beat groups, Keen garnered considerable acclaim for his composition β€˜Armenia City In The Sky’, which opened the Who’s third album, The Who Sell Out. During the punk era, Keen produced several sessions for the influential Heartbreakers, following which he kept a much lower profile. Keen died of heart failure in March 2002, seventeen days before his 57th birthday.

THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN - SOMETHING IN THE AIR (1969)

Recorded by THUNDERCLAP NEWMAN, the British rock band that PETE TOWNSHEND and KIT LAMBERT formed in 1969 in a bid to showcase the talents of three musicians: drummer John "Speedy" Keen, 16-year-old guitarist Jimmy McCulloch (who would later play in Wings from 1974 to 1977), and jazz pianist Andy "Thunderclap" Newman.

SOMETHING IN THE AIR was written by Speedy Keen who also sang the song.

Townshend engineered, arranged and played bass on this song under the pseudonym Bijou Drains. 

The Who never had a #1 hit - this was the only song he worked on that went to the top of the charts.

It was a No. 1 single for three weeks in the UK Singles Chart in July 1969 and captured the post-flower power rebellion, marrying McCulloch's sweeping acoustic and glowing electric guitars, Keen's powerful drumming and yearning falsetto, and Newman's felicitous piano solo.

The scale of the song's success surprised everyone and there were no plans to promote Thunderclap Newman with live performances. Eventually a line-up - augmented by Jim Pitman-Avory on bass and McCulloch's elder brother Jack on drums - played a handful of gigs. 

The song has been used for films, television and adverts, and has been covered by several artists. It’s original title was "Revolution," but they had to change it when The Beatles came out with a song using that title.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 23:11
Lol Pogue πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 15:45
...and I always suspected that this guy is not for real

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 12:15
I also read that Pogue.

Most of the computer staff who developed Voyager 1 are no longer around but current computer experts are working on trying to decode the messages that are still being sent and are still hopeful of getting something. Time will tell. 

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 10:15
and even more remarkable Pat:

"It looks like there's a problem with the onboard computer that takes data and packages it up to send back home. All of this computer technology is primitive compared to, say, the key fob that unlocks your car, says Dodd.

"The button you press to open the door of your car, that has more compute power than the Voyager spacecrafts do," she says.Geek

http://www.npr.org/2024/03/06/1236033493/nasas-voyager-1-spacecraft-is-talking-nonsense-its-friends-on-earth-are-worried

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2024 at 06:26
I find this amazing.

Voyager 1 is a space probe launched by NASA on September 5, 1977, as part of the Voyager program to study the outer Solar System and the interstellar space beyond the Sun's heliosphere. It was launched 16 days after its twin Voyager 2. It communicates through the NASA Deep Space Network (DSN) to receive routine commands and to transmit data to Earth. Real-time distance and velocity data is provided by NASA and JPL.[5] At a distance of 163 AU (24.4 billion km; 15.2 billion mi) from Earth as of January 2024,[5] it is the most distant human-made object from Earth.[6]

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2024 at 12:09
I saw that Sean but didn't understand the relevance to 29th tradition. 

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2024 at 11:40
Pat,I put up a post on facebook on the 29th,in reference to same...
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2024 at 11:37
Ah Sean, you're gas πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 243>