Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer - Who do you support?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 303>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 07:23

Ah here Xgh,

First it's Star and Footballers' Wives, now you and Dream Team........... Where did it all go wrong ?

You should be watching cutting edge comedy like Early Doors or Phoenix Nights.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
Sponsored Links

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 07:43
No I'm reformed honest - stopped watching it when Tanita Tikarams brother joined the cast - he used to be a real actor.  Now its just Lost and The OC.  Both of which are on tonight.
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 07:57

Tanita Tikaram's brother....................

D'ya remember him ( Ramon ) I think his name is in " This Life ".

That was quite a good series a few years ago.Think he was a gay Motor Cycle Courier or something.

Rolo.

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 09:30

Thats the one - that was a great series. 

He was also in a film called the Kama Sutra in the nineties!!!  It wasn't what you would think - it was a visually stunning film and very sad.

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 13:33
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Ah I know Pat. Just jealous. He played for us for about fifteen games towards the end of our last championship season 91/92 , scored three goals and everyone said he won the league for us.Angry

Then he started causing trouble in the dressing room,rumour had it that whenever he didn't turn up for training all the players were immediately on the phone to their wives, checking them out.

Agree he was deadly at Old Trafford, but not as good as Keano..........now there was pure class.

Rolo.

Agreed re Keano.........leaving the soccer aside for the moment......great win for the Dubs last Sat.........saw the game on Setanta on Sun..........didn't know the score and was just flicking through the channels and lo and behold the Dubs are on and i have Setanta even though I'm not a subscriberWink

Leeds slipping up again. Looks like play-offs.

Come on the Man U.........we went easy on poor old Brucie
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 13:36
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Am a gunner through and through. Started late 70's early eighties when  Brady Stapleton etc were the heros of the day. Lived in North London for awhile so had a season ticket for a couple of seasons that was when Charlie Nicholas was the darling of the North Bank.

Now its Henri and Freddie never any shortage of heros at Highbury .

Fingers crossed for tomorrow night really think this just might be our year !!!!!!!!!

Good luck tomorrow Blondie even though I'm a Man U fan. Football is football and even though it hurts to say this but Arsenal can play some good football at times..................until they meet United of courseWink

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-March-2006 at 14:15

Yeah Pat,

Delighted to see a good win for Dublin, guarantees them Division One football for next year. Still doubt their Championship potential though. Won't bore you with my reasoning,unless of course you're really interested at which point I'll say that we don't have enough scoring forwards, lack cover in Midfield for either injury or a below par performance from Whelo and need our best half backs , ie Bryan Cullen and Paul Griffin to actually play at half back...............

Sorry, just can't resist once I start.

Rolo.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 04:23

Thanks Pat have to say really enjoyed the game last night thought the first goal was a gem starting with Veiria losing the ball doesnt get much sweeter then that and of course our Henri with the icing on the cake. Still dont want to count our chickens just yet but feeling hopefull.

Regarding playing UTD my favourite was FA cup final , cant remember year when I believe Charlie George scored the winning goal to make it three two to us am sure I could think of a few more if I tried !!!!!!!!

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 12:14

1979 Blondie and Alan Sunderland scored the winner. Arsenal went two nil up early with goals from Frank Stapleton and Brian Talbot. United equalised in the 88th or 89th minute before Sunderland scored the dramatic winner. D'ya remember Liam Brady's man of the match performance that day ?

Charlie George scored the extra time winner against Liverpool in 1971.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 12:57

1979 Blondie and Alan Sunderland scored the winner. Arsenal went two nil up early with goals from Frank Stapleton and Brian Talbot. United equalised in the 88th or 89th minute before Sunderland scored the dramatic winner. D'ya remember Liam Brady's man of the match performance that day ?

Charlie George scored the extra time winner against Liverpool in 1971.

Rolo.

Feck off you two..........1979 the year we would have won it had it gone to extra time but Sexton f**ked up by not making the substitution immediately after we equalised.

Anyway re last night. Fair play to Arsenal. Played some glorious football. I thought the Ivorians Eboue and Toure as well as Pires were brill.

What did I say above. Arsenal outside chance to win it.

Re the Dubs...Rolo I don't know enough re current squad to comment.
I used to follow the Dubs but got pissed off as everytime they got to a Leinster, All Ireland semi or Final it was impossible to get a ticket.

So I said f**k the GAA. I'll not waste anymore money going to Croker.

Was there last year for the Meath game but that was it.

Man U to beat West Ham tonight. Clap

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-March-2006 at 13:39

Ah Pat, Croke Park on a Leinster Final Sunday...............cant' beat it.

Share your opinion on the ticket thing. However last year the only game I wanted to get to but couldn't was the All Ireland Football Final.

For all games in Leinster,including the Final, tickets are available from the Leinster Council in Portlaoise. The trick is to order them by phone before the finalists are known. Ok so you might have to go watch Laois v Meath but you're guaranteed a great occasion.

Agree with you on Arsenal last night. Here's hoping they go all the way.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 03:45

Stand corrected Rolo was 71 when Charlie George lay spread eagled on ground after scoring ???????

Anyway both good games for us .

Agree Pat that they have an outside chance but worried about getting to hopefull .

Looks like we will have to win to qualify for Europe next year as doing rubbish in premiership at the moment.

Managed to get to see the Dubs a couple of times last year have to say the atmosphere is second to none at Croke Park

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-March-2006 at 04:22

That's it Blondie. Steve Heighway had given Liverpool the lead. George Graham equalised before Champagne Charlie lashed in that famous winner.

That was the first FA Cup Final I remember watching in colour.

How about 1972 then ?

Leeds 1 Arsenal 0...........................

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 11:30

That's it Blondie. Steve Heighway had given Liverpool the lead. George Graham equalised before Champagne Charlie lashed in that famous winner.

That was the first FA Cup Final I remember watching in colour.

How about 1972 then ?

Leeds 1 Arsenal 0...........................

Rolo.

Yes. Man United win 8th game in a row. Chelsea drop two points. 7 points the difference....... Come on ye Reds...........I sniff a title in the wind......is the Chelski empire crumbling.........nerves are setting in.........

And Blondie, good win for Arsenal.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2006 at 05:10

Well Pat I never thought I would say this but was delighted that United won on Saturday.

Still cant believe I said that !!!!!!!!

Really hope they do it will be cheering all the way have gone from ABU to ABC !

Blondie
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2006 at 14:01
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Well Pat I never thought I would say this but was delighted that United won on Saturday.

Still cant believe I said that !!!!!!!!

Really hope they do it will be cheering all the way have gone from ABU to ABC !

Yo Blondie.........hope you're still in that frame of mind after next sunday when United beat Arsenal smiley2

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 05:41

Ah now Pat there are limits !!!!!!

Am happy after last night even though didnt think was a great match we are now in the semi finals and feel we have a good chance of getting to the final god if we won would make my year.

Anyway we'll see who's smiling after Sunday

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 07:52

Way to go Blondie.................

In 2001 when Leeds got to the Champions League Semi Final, it was a Spanish Team who's name began with V who did us. ( Valencia.)smiley19smiley19

Fingers crossed it don't happen again. Arsenal should have too much for Villareal ( or however you spell it.)

Rolo.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 08:17

No idea how you spell it either Rolo but think hope you are right and Arsenal sail into the final.

I reckon we'll meet Barcalona in the final reckon they have too much for Milan and then as they say its anyones game on the day.

Leeds fan I take it ?? How are they doing these days ??

Do you think they'll be back up next year ???

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-April-2006 at 08:46

Nailed on for the Play Offs this year. Few injuries to key strikers at the moment so not holding out too much hope of any success there.

Reckon if it does happen it'll be a Sunderland and right back down.

A far cry from successive European Semi Finals in 2000 and 2001.

Tend to agree with you regarding Barcelona and Milan. Would love to see Arsenal / Barcelona final....................not much chance of a negative game there.

Milan, you just never know with them. Can't ever write them off.

Rolo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 303>