Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Soccer - Who do you support?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 303>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soccer - Who do you support?
    Posted: 16-November-2005 at 08:58

Ok, this is for guys and gals.

I support Manchester United.

I was named after my uncle who lived in Manchester, right next to Old Trafford.

Apparently when I was very young he would come home and sit me on his lap and chatter away to my Da about Man U.

My Da was a great Man U fan as well.

That was er................ 1950's when the Busby Babes were at their peak. My Da (RIP) before he passed away gave me a colour photo taken from the back of an Evening Herald in 1957 of the Busby Babes when they played Dalymount. Have that framed and is a prized possession.

So as I grew up into the 60's I was totally gone on Man U and then Best, Law, Charlton came along.

I remember running all the way up Collins Ave having been at "Solidarity" (remember that stuff) in Donnycarney Church to get home in time to see the 1969 European Cup final.

Still have a souvenier from that final.

Anyway we then had the barren 70's and 80's when we won the odd Cup Final which was great.

And then the glorious 90's and now.....................

Edited by Biker Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 09:03
Man United for me back in the day - these days it's whatever we get a chance to see over here in this godforsaken place of no soccer land.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 09:05

Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

Man United for me back in the day - these days it's whatever we get a chance to see over here in this godforsaken place of no soccer land.

Yeah, first down and 10.LOL

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 11:37

Every day in every way, we love you Leeds,Leeds,Leeds.               Marching on together and all that.

Similar story to Pat's, my Grandfather knew Johnny Giles and when he moved from United to Leeds in the late sixties, there was only one team for me.

But nothing compares to the Dubs.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 11:45

My boy's follow Arsenal

As that is what my husband follows

I went over once for a match must say it was good fun wouldn't be in to watching a match at home on the TV

Maybe a big match in the PUB

Kay Fagan
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 11:54
I support nobody at all, no interest in it.  I'll roar for the boys in Green if its a big match but other than that, give me snooker any day!
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 11:56

You be waiting a long time for the boys in green

Cry

Kay Fagan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 12:09

Snooker,you're kidding.

Surely you mean darts.

Rolo.( Have the sig. now ) One Hundred and Eighty................

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 16:13
Darts!!  Wondered where you came up with the sig when I saw it on the other thread.
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 16:21
Ye the penny has dropped now
Kay Fagan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2005 at 18:13

Ye know,

Thats the problem with all the different forums and topics etc.As Eejit mentioned,sometimes you end up answering a question you asked yourself on another forum.When I came back to work today I didn't know where i was.

But anyway I love Darts,think Phil Taylor's the greatest sportsman on the planet.

But nothing compares to the Dubs.

Rolo.( One Hundred and Eighty)

Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2005 at 03:38

dont support any premiership teams, but when im out watching matches im allways up for the team that are playing my mates teams ( normally liverpool, utd or chelsea)

if i had to support someone it would be city cos i like stuart pearse from his forest days.

support the drogs in irish football, but thats only cos we are in the cup final  :)

work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2005 at 08:30

Hey Lenny,

Great result for the Drogs yesterday.

Seems they won handy enough.

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2005 at 09:38

yeah- was a great result for us. The dorgs were a bit nervous for the first 20 minutes or so, then they settled down for the rest of the half. the goal really settled things down for us, then the second goal, we knew it was ours!!!!

I was in the south terrace right behind the goal for both goals, place went mad. great party then up in drogheda last night.

43 years in the waiting....

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2005 at 09:42

Jeez Lenny,

And there's me thinking you were just a blow in and a fair weather fan.

Hats off to ya.

Can't beat a bit of live sport excitement and crack.

But.............at the risk of repeating myself Nothing compares to the Dubs.

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2005 at 09:45

ive been to quite a few games up at united park, not enough tho. was bloody cold yesterday.

was a great atmosphere, nearly 25 thousand people there! great for the drogs, and great for irish football. One thing that struck a mate of mine who is from london, was the way the fans were all in the pub afterwards, with the corkonians congratulating the drogs on a good match. he thought that was pretty cool!

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2005 at 09:53

Yeah,

Unlikely to see that in London all right.

Normally the only time the rival fans mix is when they're kicking the s**t outta one another.

Rolo

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2005 at 03:34
see richardson was giving out yesterday - about the pitch, the weather, the time of year. he should build a bridge (im just rubbing it in to any cork uspporters on here :))

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2005 at 09:13
Originally posted by Lenny3fingers Lenny3fingers wrote:

ive been to quite a few games up at united park, not enough tho. was bloody cold yesterday.

was a great atmosphere, nearly 25 thousand people there! great for the drogs, and great for irish football. One thing that struck a mate of mine who is from london, was the way the fans were all in the pub afterwards, with the corkonians congratulating the drogs on a good match. he thought that was pretty cool!

Lenny,

Many congrats on Drogheda United's win in the FAI Cup.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-December-2005 at 06:51
cheers pat! still unbelievable! The drogs in europe next year. There are a gang of us preparing for the first away game, wherever it may be.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 303>