The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Knacker Drinking & Pre-Grove Activities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What did YOU do before heading down?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did YOU do before heading down?
    Posted: 09-September-2016 at 22:29
Pre Grove reunion drinks, if anyone is interested, on the night of 5th November, in the Waterside pub in Howth from 7pm.  Head up to the Abbey Tavern between 8.30pm - 8.45pm.  All welcome.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 22:31
Seem to recall spending some Saturday nights in town Bruxelles..also the flowing tide but some of that overlapped with the Grove
Oh yeah a winebar under pizzaland on O'Connell Street called Hijax(?)
A man must have a code
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2012 at 11:37
Great Idea Mel
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 16:42
No problem.  I'll maybe post something around the time the show starts to try as many as I can (i.e. everyone listening in).  On the "Grove Radio" page - no worries! Thumbs Up
Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 16:24
Yeah Mel go for it.... Thats your job.... Put it in the Grove radio page and not the Event page...
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 16:13
Peter,

If it would make things easier I could post a weekly topic for "discussion" (taken from our large "archive" on this site) on the FB Radio Page while the show is running (referencing that further discussion can be taken up on this website after the show is over) and see if people want to throw their comments in.

e.g Show topic for discussion tonight: "What did YOU do every Saturday night before going down to the Grove?? - Any comments?"
(If you're also interested in commenting on this topic after the show has finished, a similar thread, and many more interesting Grove-related threads, may be found at www.thegrovesocialclub.com).
Do sign up to the site and share your memories. 

How about something like that as a template each week, and I'll dig out a different thread from here for people to comment on every Friday.  Maybe it'll draw in extra members to here?

If you're happy enough with that, I'll do the honours, if you're cool with it?

Mel. Smile
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 15:47
Hey

I need a few researchers here so.... I am up to my eyeballs with the course inpending exams and the radio show... If anyone has a bit of time to look through some of teh threads or post maybe copy the link of the page or even some of the stories put them on a Word document and email them to me ???

I will try and mention the Grove website a bit more... With just 90mins trying to chat put cd in and cue up the right song chat again and waffle LOL We do forget things...
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2012 at 10:33
Good ideas there Mins.  Peter might have already seen your message above but I'll PM him to announce the existence of the grovesocialclub.com website, give its web address, discuss it's contents etc., on a regular basis.  Some newbies in here would be very welcome.

Edit: Message sent although Peter has mentioned that this weeks show was pre-recorded when Lesley was over from Oz so he wont be able to get the word out this Friday I presume.

Edited by Vinyl Junkie - 09-August-2012 at 10:41
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2012 at 22:13
Great ideas there Mins Thumbs Up

Edited by Biker Pat - 08-August-2012 at 22:21
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Mins View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
1984-1987

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-August-2012 at 21:59
Maybe its worthwhile as Moderator that u send an email to grove@nearfm.ie for Pete to read out and ask all the listeners to please log into the official site and register more importantly - that raises awareness for this, the reunions and now the radio show..if there is more interest then more interest will be shown in keeping the show going on longer..also there should be a slot for some of the Grove couples..the ones that were interviewd in the paper there 2 years ago..we can think of a few..anyhow BR might already have that in the pipeline but just thought to mention it..maybe also we can dig into the archives and suggest ONE funni topic to brush on to chat about in studio - like the Grove Fashion, Grove Modes of Transport, Grove Time Capsule, Slow Sets and all the other stuff we used to laugh about that can jog the newbies memories and maybe get everyone posting here afresh and anew..just ideas but u know the way...no harm in mentioning it here...look forward to listening in on Friday..Mins..
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2012 at 15:30
They really are, aren't they?  Pity we dont get more new members on here to discuss their own memories.  Far more on FB that havent (or dont seemed to have) registered (or post) here.
Mins View Drop Down
1984-1987

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-August-2012 at 05:50
The old Threads..nothing like them for a laugh..
:)
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2010 at 11:53

Originally posted by Mins Mins wrote:

Commando Rolo, Commando - Best way

Wouldn't know Miss Mins, but you know, I'll take your word for it.

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2010 at 11:40

Pogue'S Taxi  

Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2010 at 11:02

Probably just wore them really, really long Grandfather shirts...

Can picture Pogue coming along to a reunion in one of them shirts, a pair of slippers and a nightcap on his head.

Mins View Drop Down
1984-1987

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2010 at 04:40
Commando Rolo, Commando - Best way
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2010 at 00:26

Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

I had six nice shirts and four pairs of shoes that I saved mostly for the
Grove. It was vexing when our servant girl Mary did not have them shined
and ironed. Often I would tell my mother and she would make her call a
taxi for me to get there when I was running late.

No trousers then Sean, bet you were popular with the ladies .

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2010 at 19:41
I had six nice shirts and four pairs of shoes that I saved mostly for the
Grove. It was vexing when our servant girl Mary did not have them shined
and ironed. Often I would tell my mother and she would make her call a
taxi for me to get there when I was running late.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2010 at 15:47

Earliest memories as a 16 year old........ only allowed go on a Sat night at first.........most of the people I knocked around with weren't from my area so meself and the John Daly fella would mosey down early enough to check out the albums,strongest memory is hearing the Bass Drum from " You're All I've got Tonight " from the Cars first album as we went into the corridor. Used bring down the odd album and remember trying for weeks on end to get Cecil to play  but he took a lot of persuading,quite rightly predicting that it wouldn't go down too well with the rockers. Eventually one saturday he relented and was proved 100% correct...........but feck the begrudgers, I loved it.

Saturday night was spent hanging around with various different groups of people,one of my favourite things about the Grove............just meeting people that you knew would be there,stopping for a chat,maybe a bit of headbanging and then moving on. Met herself one saturday night in late 1981 ( yeah, nearly 30 years ago ) and the rest is history .No drink in those days 'cos we always had a match early Sunday morning.

After leaving school and going to College,the Grove Sunday Night became a reality. Every Sunday ( in the playing season ) was spent in the same way............up early for a match,home for the dinner,down to the Park for the afternoon to hold hands,home for the ablutions about half six and then the bus into Barney's Pub on Eden Quay to hook up with the lads off the team for a few pints of Harpic before getting the bus up to Sybil Hill and the altogether different Grove experience. Less people,older crowd,more chatting than headbanging..........

In the Summer when there was no match,just stayed in the scratcher until dinner time.

Fantastic days and ones I really wish my own 17 year old could experience.

joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-November-2010 at 10:21
great stories
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>