Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Slow Sets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What was Cecil’s last record ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:43
Thats because they all had nasty older brothers!
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:47

Said I was sorry didn't I.

Lenny , what LPs did you and your mates bring to the Grove when we were all to old to go. ( That's me,eejit and Pat, not sure 'bout xgrovehead though.Reckon she might be a bit / lot younger.)

If only she'd own up to the photo ???????????????????????

Rolo.

Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:49

used to bring down lights camera revolution by suicidal tendancies, but cecil only played it once.

friends used to bring down slayer, metalica, stuff like that

work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:49
what stuff did you bring down rolo?

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:56

Different era of course,but tried to bring down stuff that wouldn't get played too often during the main part of the evening.

Magazine, Talking Heads, brought UFO Live Album once,can't think of the name of it now, bit of Rory Gallagher,especially Live in Europe.

Varied really.

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:57

yeah - different era. Still the same principal tho, bring down music that wouldnt normally get played.

Were ufo a sort of punkish band? Think i had one of their albums once...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:58
actually i think it was a UDO album i had rather than UFO

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 12:04

Probably right,

They were and still are a rock band,they've got John Bonham's son ,Jason as drummer.

I'll think of the name of the album later,there was one famous track which I can't remember either.

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 12:09

cool. sounds good. quick google came up with lots of results including the official UFO site

http://www.ufo-music.info/band.htm

I think the album i had was from UDO, one of the albums listed at http://www.darklyrics.com/u/udo.html

Stevie View Drop Down
1976-81ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 20:52

I'm sure I remember a certain Mr. Hewson hanging around the stage with his "boy" album under his arm hoping Cecil would play it?!

Wonder what ever happened to him???.....LOL

Stevie

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-November-2005 at 03:33
think hes working in ballymun collectng garbage or something.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2005 at 08:56
[QUOTE=Rolo]

On a dark winter's Sunday evening I brought Pendulum by Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Man, Cecil, played it.

I didn't have a record player at the time and it was pure nirvana hearing that album being played throught the speakers in the old Grove. 

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2005 at 12:36

Howya Pat,

Meant to talk to you about "  Helpless ", ( must have been weeks ago ), but I love the Last Waltz, some great songs by great artists on it.

Did you know that Robbie Robertson asked Rory Gallagher to appear but allegedly Rory turned him down.

Think Mannish Boy by Muddy Waters is a classic.

Oh yeah,jumping topics as a Man.U. man,where are you on the Keano situation.?

Rolo.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 06:20

IMHO keano is a  traitor who should never have been let pull on an irish shirt again after his disgraceful walk out in sepang.

As for the utd thing, what did he expect, going public with views on individuals like that.

Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 06:27
Your are right not much into football But got a turn off him big time the last world cup  Angry
Kay Fagan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 06:50

I'll wait for Pat before I comment.

Don't want to start a row or anything.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 08:51
[QUOTE=Rolo]

Howya Pat,

Meant to talk to you about "  Helpless ", ( must have been weeks ago ), but I love the Last Waltz, some great songs by great artists on it.

Did you know that Robbie Robertson asked Rory Gallagher to appear but allegedly Rory turned him down.

Think Mannish Boy by Muddy Waters is a classic.

Oh yeah,jumping topics as a Man.U. man,where are you on the Keano situation.?

Rolo.

Hi Rolo,

Didn't know that about Rory. He would have been great and certainly as good, if not better than Clapton.

Re Keano.

He can walk away from Old Trafford with his head held high. He'll be a legend there just like Cantona etc

I think it was time for him to go but his influence will be sorely missed.

I think thigs are not right at OT and its going to take some time to build a team as great as we had in the 90's.

Whether Fergie can do this or not I don't know.

I'm also not sure that Keane and Fergie fell out.

Re Saipan. I think Keane should have stayed but I also could understand how he walked away. He set such high standards and obviously McCarthy didn't match those standards.

Also it's not easy when your manager is belittling you in front of your team mates. That would get under my skin as well.

So back to music. The Last Waltz. A Classic.  

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 08:57
i personally think fergie should have gone a couple of years ago when he planned to. i think hes past it now and doesnt have the influence on players or other managers he used to have.

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 09:08

Sort of guessed you'd have the same opinion of Keano as I have.

Mine is more from an Ireland perspective as I'd be a big fan and get to all home games and travel to most of the away games.

For me,he was absolutely immense,particularly in the 2002 Qual. campaign and I firmly believe that McCarthy being the manager should have been able to manage the Saipan situation better.

Fully agree with you on the Man.Utd.departure,apparently the fans were still singing his name on Tuesday night.

Rolo.( Funny how the Last Waltz appeared in two different threads.)

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:05
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Sort of guessed you'd have the same opinion of Keano as I have.

Mine is more from an Ireland perspective as I'd be a big fan and get to all home games and travel to most of the away games.

For me,he was absolutely immense,particularly in the 2002 Qual. campaign and I firmly believe that McCarthy being the manager should have been able to manage the Saipan situation better.

Fully agree with you on the Man.Utd.departure,apparently the fans were still singing his name on Tuesday night.

Rolo.( Funny how the Last Waltz appeared in two different threads.)

Rock on Rolo.

And now George Best is gone.

The BEST footballer ever.

When we were kids and playing football on the road, we all wanted to be George Best.

He's a legend and he made Man U what it is today. The original master of the Theatre of Dreams.

May he rest in peace.

Edited by Biker Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>