Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport miscellaneous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sport miscellaneous
    Posted: 28-November-2009 at 10:07

Thought we could have a topic where general aspects of sport in general could be posted GAA and Soccer not being the only sports people are interested in, and this would give them a home.

Rugby

Have any of you been following the news about Tendai Mtawarira "The Beast"?
Appears that he does not have South African citizenship. Born in Zimbabwe and does not appear to have the correct working visa. SA immigration are kicking up.
BUT he does meet the requirements of not having played International Test Rugby for any other country, and been resident for 36 months - Same conditions that allowed Rikki Flutey to play for England (boy do they miss him) before buggering off to play in France.

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2009 at 10:09

Just posted the fact that the Irish golfers are getting great coverage here in Thailand.

Edited by Biker Pat
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
grainne_witch View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’78 -81

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grainne_witch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2009 at 17:38
Well done to Ireland today!!! Very exciting game.
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2009 at 11:56
Agree great game. But how on earth was Ritchie McCaw (who missed or was was poor for half the season) get player of the year and not Brian O' Driscoll? 
A man must have a code
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2009 at 08:24
Have to agree. I think O'Driscoll should have got it. Great to beat the world champions so well but looks like Sexton has two broken fingers and will be out for some time. ( No wonder ROG was smiling )
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2009 at 15:31

Suggestion is that Sexton will be out of Leinster's two Heineken Cup games against the Scarlets in December.

A man must have a code
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-November-2009 at 22:16
Saw a fair bit of the All Blacks against the french. Didn't watch the Ireland game

Do the All Blacks really need the best of Fiji, Samoa etc? Have they not got enough of their own? Is their winger Fijian, and in the past they had Tongans and all sorts thrown in - Michael Jones, Graham Bachop, Tingamala etc etc.

How the hell have they thrown away so many World Cups - they look so good in between years. The old six inches between the ears I suppose..

Rugby union played well (I watch bits and pieces and would never claim to be a real fan) is as good a game as there is. Lovely mixture of raw physical confrontation allied to great skill. Like the Gah though, if it's played badly it's terrible old rubbish to watch....
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 07:46

Funny you should make that comment. I sl*g the New Zealand lads here about it. The Alll Blacks are great ..what would a New Zealand team be like ????

It has to be, next to Hurling, the best field game in the world

I'm not biast

Edited by Aries
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 09:01
Good program on RTE last night ,about the road to Irelands Grand slam,was very well put together..Great to see hurling your first choice Gary 
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 10:46

Yeh I watch it Joey

There is a great spirit amoung the squad

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 20:13
Originally posted by whippersnapper whippersnapper wrote:

Saw a fair bit of the All Blacks against the french. Didn't watch the Ireland game

Do the All Blacks really need the best of Fiji, Samoa etc? Have they not got enough of their own? Is their winger Fijian, and in the past they had Tongans and all sorts thrown in - Michael Jones, Graham Bachop, Tingamala etc etc.

How the hell have they thrown away so many World Cups - they look so good in between years. The old six inches between the ears I suppose..

Rugby union played well (I watch bits and pieces and would never claim to be a real fan) is as good a game as there is. Lovely mixture of raw physical confrontation allied to great skill. Like the Gah though, if it's played badly it's terrible old rubbish to watch....

Yes they do need the best of the fijiians, But so do Australia.

The Islander Rugby Associations are kept poor deliberately so that their best young talent are enticed away to NZ and to AU.
Nz and AU play tests from time to time BUT only on home soil as sop as then they do not becomes decent sources of revenue which might enable them to keep their best young players.. Its just so cynical.

A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 20:17
What about South Africa trying to cite 3 Irish players after the match on Saturday? What sore losers.
SA could have had one or two players sin binned, and in addition could have had Bekker red carded
A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 20:27
From Irish Times
JOHN O'SULLIVAN Reports

RUGBY NEWS ROUND-UP: THE IRFU has expressed its disappointment with the way that South Africa went about seeking to have Ireland number eight Jamie Heaslip cited for eye gouging – an allegation that was subsequently found to be groundless – following Saturday’s international at Croke Park.

The South Africans petitioned the match commissioner, Scotland’s Douglas Hunter, to examine footage of the game to substantiate their claim that Heaslip had made contact with the eye area of flanker Heinrich Brussow.

The Boks weren’t able to specify exactly when the incident was alleged to have taken place other than to suggest that it was in the second half. Hunter examined the tapes in detail and found that Heaslip had absolutely no case to answer.

The Irish Times understands that the background to the whole process angered the IRFU as not alone did the Springboks allow the name of the player to become public – the story appeared on a website and certainly wasn’t Irish led – but they also asked for three Irish players to be investigated. One hour after that request they had reduced that number to two and then half an hour later it became one.

The IRFU released a statement last night outlining their concern. It read: “The Six Nations has confirmed to the Irish Rugby Football Union that none of a number of referrals made by South Africa against Ireland players has been upheld by the independent citing commissioner that was present at the game between Ireland and South Africa in Croke Park on Saturday, November 28th.

“The Ireland management is, however, very disappointed that the name of an Ireland player was subsequently associated with eye gouging in the media as a result of one of these unsubstantiated referrals.

“The Ireland management fully support and believe in the integrity of the citing process in place but believe that any referrals in this process should be made only when they are material and substantial. The Ireland management will be making no further comment and consider the matter closed.”

It’s particularly unfair on Heaslip going forward to have his name linked with such an incident, even though the accusations were groundless.

These latest shenanigans will do little to improve relations between the two teams fuelled by comments made by South African captain John Smit is his recent autobiography and also the eye gouging incident involving Schalk Burger and Ireland’s Luke Fitzgerald during the second Test of the Lions tour this summer.

In fairness to Burger he was one of the few South Africans who stayed around shaking hands at the final whistle last Saturday as most of the Springboks ignored the post-match pitch ritual of clapping their opponents off, instead heading for the dressing room without any preamble.

A man must have a code
DAYO View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
70 / 76

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DAYO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-December-2009 at 21:30

Ya should call this thread  Rugger Buggers, There is a GAA and a soccer so why not.

Dayo

Grov'in 70 - 76
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-December-2009 at 21:08

Originally posted by joey the lips joey the lips wrote:

Good program on RTE last night ,about the road to Irelands Grand slam,was very well put together..Great to see hurling your first choice Gary 

Saw that programme as well Joey was really good seeing how they  interacted with one another.

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2009 at 09:43
I think Ryle Nugent is a rubbish rugby commentator. He didn't know anything about the game when he started (or if he did he hid it well!) Still not much better. But in the Grand Slam programme was really shown up when talking about the game against France, when the players seemed astonished at his questions and then couldn't stop laughing at him.

Apart from that thought it was an excellent programme, but should have been done sooner and been the basis of the grand slam dvd with the matches.

Dayo,
this is for all the other sports other than the majority interests of GAA and Soccer. So for those interested in Golf, Sailing and tiddliwinks you now have a home.

A man must have a code
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 13:17
The Home of the Tiddliwinks ,,I thought i would never find it
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-December-2009 at 21:49
Joey, well you have now!
A man must have a code
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 09:01
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 13:19

Not a Horse Racing fan but best of luck to Mick Kinane in his retirement.

Rode his first winner in 1975 and hangs up his whip today after 34 years in the saddle.

Respect.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>