Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport miscellaneous

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 14:35
" Knackered "
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2009 at 14:54

Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

" Knackered "

Who ?

You or Mick Kinane

whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2010 at 22:21
Just watched the darts.

Phil The Power Taylor - awesome. Up against a former pupil, Adrian Lewis. Lewis had a 3 dart average of 102 plus, was averaging 40% plus on checkouts for most of the game and got whitewashed 5 zip. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

And not just that - you get Sidney Waddell thrown in for free. Commeting on Lewis, he suggested it was like "eating candey floss in a wind tunnell - just impossible"

A tremendous evening's entertainment.

I've tried watching the Lakeside one on the BBC before and it's just not the same - the razzmatazz and sheer gaudiness don't come across as well as on sky. That's what makes it so excellent, the sheer tackiness....

I am definitely heading out to City West next year when the boys come on tour. Got a last minute offer of tickets this year but it was the young fellas birthday party, so there's only so much you can get away with. Better planning next year will help me out

Awesome game / sport.
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2010 at 11:26

I'd just like to go for the tackyness as you said Darragh.

Looks the biz..in an odd sort of way

Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2010 at 14:18

Taylor should beat Webster easily tonight but it will be a lot closer between Barney and the Wizard of Oz. Can't wait.

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2010 at 15:46

Agree Arty.

Looking forward to seeing the world's greatest sportsman as he grinds yet another " Pretender " into the ground.

The game is definitely changing with the early demise of the old stagers like Mardle,Manley,Part, Priestly and even that upstart,Mervyn King, in the early rounds of the tournament.

No matter what's thrown at him, Taylor has the mental strength to see tham all off. Hope Whitlock beats Raymond tonight as he might win a set or two off Phil in the final. Don't want a repeat of last year.

Edited by Rolo
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2010 at 18:34
Taylor will win the final tonight but I have backed Whitlock to win at least 3 sets - wishful thinking perhaps that it will be entertaining viewing for a little while at least

Edited by Uncle Arthur
UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2010 at 08:14
What a super match.
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2010 at 20:28
Taylor is immense - there is something about him that I find it difficult to really warm to. I think it's his sheer brilliance - I like my heroes flawed I think.

Whitlock put it up to him, but no bother to the Power - checkouts of 170, 161 when it really really mattered. when it didn't matter, he missed doube 1.

Sign of an awesome competitor when he always always always does what's required.

Whitlock's darting career starts now - let's see can he do what Painter, Wade, Part and co have failed to do - improve and stay humble. Prietley never had the talent, but had the application. Manley and Lewis and Wade have the talent - do they have the application?

"He's more intense than a Beduoin tribe" - another pearler from Sydney last night....
I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2010 at 08:09
Just a funny thing I noticed. When Whitlock shot a good score the camera kept going to another bloke...is he ..............
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2010 at 11:04

.......his manager ?

Sure is Gary.

Ah 'Snapper,how can ya not warm to the legend that is Phil Taylor.

From a career in Burslem,Stoke-On-Trent making handles for toilets to the world's greatest sportsman in twenty years and humble with it.

You couldn't write it.

Saw one banner on Sunday, " 14 World Titles and not a Sir .........why ?"

Totally agree.

The campaign to make him an OBE at least starts here !

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 13:50
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

.......his manager ?

Sure is Gary.

Ah 'Snapper,how can ya not warm to the legend that is Phil Taylor.

From a career in Burslem,Stoke-On-Trent making handles for toilets to the world's greatest sportsman in twenty years and humble with it.

You couldn't write it.

Saw one banner on Sunday, " 14 World Titles and not a Sir .........why ?"

Totally agree.

The campaign to make him an OBE at least starts here !

In the Republic????
A man must have a code
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 14:01

Absolutely Finno.

True genius has to be recognised. If we get the ball rolling here there's enough Sassenachs will jump on the Bandwagon to secure a title for the great man.

Arise Sir Phil.

Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2010 at 14:04

Well I'll give him a "Sir "

Theres about 5 living in Kinsale, he can have them all if he likes ......

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2010 at 06:52

Anyone into kiteboarding should head on down to Pak Nam Pran near Hua Hin as the Asean championships are on in March.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-February-2010 at 21:42
Was at the match yesterday. Poor second half but good result. Kearney not at his best.
Poite - not the greatest of refereeing debut in the Six Nations but called the spear tackle right. Pity that the pass that proceeded it (which was sublime) got lost. It was a great move.
France up next. France looked good against Scotland but not invulnerable.
A man must have a code
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-February-2010 at 19:35
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 08:12
I suppose we shouldn't mention Julien Depuy (suspended after appeal), David Attoab (70 weeks) ..............

How about Michel Palme who cost a player to lose an eye....
Claude and Richard Dourthe who hold a unique record being the only father and son who have both been red carded in International rugby...

Palme went on to become an official of the French Rugby Federation!
A man must have a code
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 13:12
Gosh Finna pity you weren't standing there when he made all of those statements, you would of wiped him up off the floor with all that knowledge.
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-February-2010 at 13:25
We just got to beat them
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 19>