Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Grove Reunions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grove Reunion June ’09

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2009 at 00:28
Originally posted by Aries Aries wrote:

Hey

I'm only seeing this now. I was actually discussing the poor state ofthe economy with my learned friend Sharon. I was on to the part of there being way too many public servants at the moment and what needs to be done to kick start the economy.

Anyone want to dispute that ??

I'll see ye later !!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yeah yeah yeah,lol   
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Sponsored Links

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2009 at 03:26

You know what would work ANYWHERE?

A Grove re-union/tribute night.

(I'm not suggesting we go on the road and pick places to have a night around the country/world)

BUT if Andy and Cecil (or impersonators) were to set up a night and play THAT music we all grew up with it would work.

Of course,it would by no means be The Grove without the above mentioned,but I would travel to a town nearby if I thought that kind of night was goin on.

Likewise,people (down here for example) who never heard of the Grove,or people up and down the country who simply have an appreciation for Grove type musi would absolutley love it!

We all know someone (who was never at the Grove) who loves Rock/alternative music and would do anything for a night like a re-union.

I guess what I'm flaffing about saying is,aren't we lucky to have had the re-unions? I was in a local pub recently and spoke to a lovely couple (biker types with long hair,leather stuffetc.)  who would just love what we were priveleged to.

I spoke to a colleague from Kerry who saw the doc when it was aired and he said I was so lucky to have somewhere like that to go.

Remember it,savour it,and live it to the last as we never know when it will be just that-the last.

In the meantime,be thankful to Cecil and Andy,to Tina for lending him to us,and for every Saturday night since 1967.

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2009 at 10:47
Nationwide grove,, ,,could we not sleep last night Floyd
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2009 at 11:08

JTL,

That emoticon is brill. Haven't seen it before. I think Floyd was is still getting over the last reunion but I wouldn't knock his idea at all.

Problem is, who's free to do the roadshow?
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2009 at 16:00

Hmm...it is with a great sore head I re-read whatever ramblings I posted after many a frothy pint last night/this morning. Was logged in before friends arrived and after they left I saw I was still logged on so decided to be all nostalgic and whatever-what was in my head then made sense.

Today is a real coke and sugar day (thank God not at work)

Think what I was trying to convey was that ANYONE I have spoken to over the years especially outside Dublin really wished they had somewhere like the Grove to go when they were teens and moreso something like a re-union to re-live it. Most people wish there was a decent rock venue to go to let alone what we have/had.

Made sense to me at 3:00am this morning...

That said,if there ever was a roadshow happening...I'm there!

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2009 at 16:08

No worries Floyd.

We knew what you meant. You're not the first and won't be the last to be posting in the hazy hours of the early morning

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 07:56
Rock on Floyd..makes sense to me too
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 09:13
I think Floyd should be barred
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 10:41
Originally posted by JQuinn JQuinn wrote:

That's obviously the Grainne I was talking with last night? How many Grovers, called Grainne are living in Carlow now? Enjoyed it!

Welcome to the site. Looked at your art great stuff, really liked it.
A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 10:54
Folks looked like a great night was had by all.
A man must have a code
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2009 at 14:41
Howdy Finno - good to see you about again! 
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
JQuinn View Drop Down

79-82

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2009 at 20:28
Many thanks Finno. Registered after the last reunion, but haven't found the time to visit as often as I'd like.
Glad you like the art works - been nurturing them along for nearly 30 years now, but they're still evolving!
Sister1 View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2009 at 09:25

I was in the Grand Hotel in Malahide yesterday for lunch - I realised after a while tha Cecil was standing beside us looking up at the start of the Wimbledon final on a big screen TV.

On my way out I said hello and explained I went the grove in the late 80s etc and was enjoying the reunions. Cecil said it was always nice to meet the ex-grovers. I did not delay as was in the hurray home, but thats one man I would have loved to have bought a drink and chatted longer.

Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2009 at 13:34
Originally posted by Evangeline Evangeline wrote:

Originally posted by Floyd Floyd wrote:

...standing in front of the dry ice machine trying to breathe it in...!!!

Too much dry ice is very bad for your complexion. Has anyone seen Andrew Eldritch (Sisters frontman) lately? There's my point right there!

Jen

Jen,

I have seen a recent interview with Eldritch. Its the first in 12 years and he has no hair at all - still living in Germany and now 50 years old. The photo in the article was fine, but I saw a poster for a recent gig which made him look terrible. Still gigging and still saying no need to record as tours are far more luctrative than records.

Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 04:46
Originally posted by Sister1 Sister1 wrote:

I was in the Grand Hotel in Malahide yesterday for
lunch - I realised after a while tha Cecil was standing beside us looking up
at the start of the Wimbledon final on a big screen TV.

[

How the f**k can Cecil afford to drink in the Grand Hotel? There's
supposed to be a recession on.
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 07:37
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

I was in the Grand Hotel in Malahide yesterday for
lunch - I realised after a while tha Cecil was standing beside us looking up
at the start of the Wimbledon final on a big screen TV.

[

How the f**k can Cecil afford to drink in the Grand Hotel? There's
supposed to be a recession on.

Thats the point Pogue--Cecil has never taken a drink in his life. Seact Suas or Coke is about as far as it goes.

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 11:27

After Sunday night with Gary, I wished I followed in Cecil's footsteps

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 14:44

Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

I was in the Grand Hotel in Malahide yesterday for lunch - I realised after a while tha Cecil was standing beside us looking up at the start of the Wimbledon final on a big screen TV.

[

How the f**k can Cecil afford to drink in the Grand Hotel? There's supposed to be a recession on.

Thats the point Pogue--Cecil has never taken a drink in his life. Seact Suas or Coke is about as far as it goes.

but Aries soft drinks are dearer than beers,a pint of Coke costs more than a pint of Lager...doesnt help stopping people drinking,does it ?
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 15:05
Got me there SHH. Lucky I drink the cheaper stuff then he he he he
THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2009 at 15:22

Got me there SHH. Lucky I drink the cheaper stuff then he he he he

great minds,and I see you and Biker Pat took the cheap option last Sunday    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>