The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Zeppelin to tour without Plant ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
88 - still rockin’ hard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zeppelin to tour without Plant ???
    Posted: 29-October-2008 at 16:44
softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"
Sponsored Links

softlad View Drop Down
88 - still rockin’ hard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 17:11
softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 17:25

I would happily fork out for Page, Jones, baby Bonham plus A.N Other if Plant doesn't want to do it

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 17:50

I can see both sides - Plant does not want to be pigeon holed and is enjoying a new lease of life with blue grass. Page and Jones want to rock on. I think Page and Jones should do something, but for me they should not call it Zeppelin. Bands can survive lead singer changes (AC/DC), but the replacement has to be pretty special. It can work (21st Century Doors with Ian Astbury) and it can be so so (Queen with Paul Rogers). In Zeppelins case, Bonham jnr on drums is as close as you will get to the original. Take Plant out and it probably tips the balance below worth seeing, but you never know. Interesting to see who they get.

Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-October-2008 at 19:07

Agree Sister 1. Would pay plenty to see Page as he's my all time favourite guitar player but don't think it'd be right to tour under the Zeppelin name. By all means play the songs but under another name.

Aries View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2008 at 08:30

Totally agree

No Plant--Not Zep

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-October-2008 at 11:07

Rubbish idea

It's like Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Doug 'Cosmo' Clifford and Stu Cook, the drummer and bass player from Creedence who gig without John Fogerty who wrote and sang all the great Creedence songs.

Doesn't do it for me so I can imagine Zep fans feeling the same.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Uncle Arthur View Drop Down
80-85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Arthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-October-2008 at 21:06

Got to disagree with the general thread above.

I've always been a Zep fan but if Plant won't tour I still want to listen to the music live - if they choose the replacement carefully, then I don't care what name they tour under

UA

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity but an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty"

Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2008 at 00:18
I agree with Uncle Arthur, its the music. There are a few singers out there that sound a bit like Plant, I think the singer from Kingdow Come be the closest... 
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2008 at 21:41
Plant Doesn't Even Sound Like Plant Anymore,

Read A Iterview With Him Just After The Led Zeppelin

Concert Last Year Where He Said That He Couldn't

Sing For A Month Afterwards.Maybe He Is Not Just

Up To It Anymore.
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2008 at 23:00

Yeah get any of the following,

John Fogerty
Paul Rodgers with Queen
Bono
Ozzy

Joking, think Zep are done without Plant. Queen got away with it because they got Paul Rodgers and there's really not a lot around that I can think of that would suit Zeppelin.

But then I'm an oldie and there maybe some spring chicken out there with a holler of a voice that might fill in.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2008 at 23:36
Monarch

Very good point there re Plants voice.... I am sure there are singers out there that could sing Led Zep songs....
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-November-2008 at 23:47

I vote for our own 'STAR'

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 10:56
Wouldnt be Zeppelin without Robert Plant, IMHO.  Wouldnt mind seeing the other lads play though.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Robbie63 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
80-83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 11:26
Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes would be the man for the job. Just listen to the live album they did with Jimmy Page.
Robbie     
tupelopenny View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
81- 83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupelopenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-November-2008 at 13:49

I agree Robbie, best led zep live album is Page and Black Crowes Album! way better than song remains the same!

I would still go to see them without plant,though it would be nice to see them with him. But i have seen page and plant a few times, so its not that important to me.

I also agree with Monarch, even if he was in band, he still wouldnt be singing the way we all remember him.

I love Whitesnake and go see them every tour, but coverdales voice live is poor these days, I am really only going for the songs (and my feeble attempts at singing along) and the memories.

I think Led Zep, no matter who is in them will be a bit like that, we will all be there to relive our memories of them being in their heyday and singing along - badly!

Plus it doesnt seem that long ago when people were saying, it wouldnt be the same without Bonzo! In fact even Zep were saying that, but is it right for the death of a member to mean the rest of the band cant go on, sometimes it can be just as good with new member, AC/DC being a good example of this.

Now granted they need to pick the new guy carefully, sometimes it doesnt work that well. I didnt think much of the new doors, with astbury or Queen with rogers. Love Astbury and rogers in their old bands but just didnt see a good fit in their new ones.

Plus people will say this is all for money, and theres no denying they will make a bucket load of cash, but i also get the feeling that page and jones are enjoying playing the old songs and being in a band again.

Edited by tupelopenny
Good Grief, Charlie Brown
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2008 at 09:37

As Plant said himself.

" It would be like being in a Cover band "

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-November-2008 at 08:46
if Page,Jones and Bonham jr.,want to tour,good on them,but l dont think they should tour as Led Zeppelin,it wouldnt be Zeppelin without Plant,people refer to other bands using a new singer,e.g AC/DC,the Doors,and Queen,but the difference between them and Zeppelin is that Scott,Morrison,and Mercury are dead,R.I.P.,but Robert Plant is not ! and even though he's not a young man anymore,he can still do justice to the Led Zep catalogue,for me it wouldnt be Zeppelin without him,there is a chemistry between him and Page that is so special,and is what made Zeppelin the gods of rock that they were,so they they shouldnt destroy the legacy by using a cheap imitation of Robert Plant,its either Zep with Plant,or do it under a different name
upon us all,a little rain must fall
 Post Reply Post Reply