The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stryder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stryder
    Posted: 26-September-2008 at 21:18
Hi
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I am looking for copies of the Stryder single Forcin' Thru, and I though someone here must have it. I will pay any price you ask for it !

Also looking for any material concerning Irish metal / heavy rock bands from the 1980's especially a band called Sweet Revenge ...

If anyone could help I'll appreciate it !!!

thank you !
Sponsored Links

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2008 at 16:55

I remember that single "Forcin Thru'" alright and I saw Stryder in the school off Measc(?) Avenue in the late 70s...dont have a copy though, Corwin...have you tried e-bay? (actually, also try gemm.com, they have loads of singles on sale, you may get it there!?).

Edit: Had a look on e-bay and Gemm.com but couldnt find it there Corwin.  Welcome to the site by the way!  The other Irish band you mention "Sweet Revenge", I have a single "Take no prisoners" by a band called "Sweet Savage", who I think are from Ireland - it isnt them is it?

Edited by Brunswick
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
corwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2008 at 18:33

thanks, I've checked Gemm and eBay for that single dozens of times without any luck, so I though someone here who saw the band live suring the 1970's and 1980's might have a copy.

Sweet Revenge were from Cavan and had 2 singles - Hawks of Cairo and Feel the Bullets Bite both from the early 1980's. that's all I know.

Sweet Savage were a different band ...

by the way, I'm form Israel myself, so it's kinda difficult to locate this stuff here hahah ...

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2008 at 20:27
Ah, right..cheers Corwin..never heard of Sweet Revenge to be honest.
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2008 at 20:33
I think there were only 300 copies of the Stryder single pressed.

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2008 at 20:35
You're some man Finno, where did you get those photos dude?
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2008 at 20:37
Have them for years. have some others

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
tupelopenny View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
81- 83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupelopenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 20:16
I used to have several copies of the single, not sure if i have any left. I used to go see them in the baggot. They were great, as were sweet savage, that single you have mel is a classic. that has vivian campbell on it, who later ended up in, Dio, Whitesnake and Def Leppard!
Good Grief, Charlie Brown
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 21:43
Ive been thinking and I think these photos were taken in the Crofton hotel
A man must have a code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 22:12

Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

What a head of hair!!!  Wish I still had a thick head of hair like that!

Edited by Brunswick
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2008 at 22:39

Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

Ive been thinking and I think these photos were taken in the Crofton hotel

God thats weird Finno was looking at pics earlier and I thought venue looked familiar when would that have been ?????

We went to Crofton every Friday and Saturday to see Stepaside and the Lookalikes dont remember seeing Stryder there

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 09:53

A school friend of mine designed the first Stryder concert poster (a white horse on black background) and I was at a concert they gave in Ardscoil Ris in 1977 - can anyone remember the band members names as I can only remember some of the 1977 Stryder were Eugene 'Gibbey' Giblin on drums, Alan Quigley vocals - they had all met up at the old Fairview Youth Club - can't remember the rest. How long did the band last??

The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 10:16
So Corwin what is your History with The Grove.. I know you are living in Israel, Are you Irish and moved there ?.. 
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
corwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 10:39
hahah no no, I'm actually Russian and moved to Israel. I've just got interested in the band Stryder since I've heard the single on a CDR a friend gave me and decided to find a copy for myself. Quickly I have discovered it's really difficult to find it, so I though to ask here ...
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 10:41

Originally posted by Taylor Taylor wrote:

A school friend of mine designed the first Stryder concert poster (a white horse on black background) and I was at a concert they gave in Ardscoil Ris in 1977 - can anyone remember the band members names as I can only remember some of the 1977 Stryder were Eugene 'Gibbey' Giblin on drums, Alan Quigley vocals - they had all met up at the old Fairview Youth Club - can't remember the rest. How long did the band last??

Ger Kennedy from Brookwood Avenue on Guitar,that's him with the black hair in Finno's pic. ( I think ).

Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 11:50
Originally posted by corwin corwin wrote:

hahah no no, I'm actually Russian and moved to Israel. I've just got interested in the band Stryder since I've heard the single on a CDR a friend gave me and decided to find a copy for myself. Quickly I have discovered it's really difficult to find it, so I though to ask here ...

Cool so now The Grove is really "International" How did you come across the Grove website site ??
Have you read through the topics ?...

Welcome to the site too...

P
"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2008 at 21:50
Alan Quigley - vocals
Brian Meehan  - Bass
Ger Kennedy - Guitar
Joe Weiren - guitar
Eugene Giblin - drums

Not sure of year exactly but I think the started in the Crofton, playing support to the Lookalikes. Then got a residency after lookalikes moved on. I thought they were really good and who knows if they had a bit of luck??

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-September-2008 at 09:46

Thanks Finno - yes, I knew Alan and 'Gibby' but not the others. All the very best!

Edited by Taylor
The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
GerDublin View Drop Down
75-mid80s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GerDublin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-September-2009 at 23:14

Ger Kennedy from Stryder here. Only just saw these posts. What a great site ! Great memories... back when duffle coats were cool !

Anyway, i pm'd Corwin to tell him that i have the Stryder single in wav format and i would be glad to send it to him or anyone else who is interested.

Finno:

Really enjoyed seeing the pictures thanks. If you have any more please let me know.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.....
tupelopenny View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
81- 83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tupelopenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-September-2009 at 08:12

Hi Ger,

I would love if you could sent it to me too in WAV.

Cheers

Brian

Good Grief, Charlie Brown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>