The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Songs from The Grove
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Songs from the Grove

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 11:15

Tara

you are so right that idea would go down very well and all for charity i would buy it for sure

Must say i find myself rooting out my old cds from that era alot these days or downloading the music and its a real feel good factor

Must say my most hated song from the grove was.."come on eileen" the dexy midnight runners jeez i hated it still cringe today when i hear it deffo not one ive downloaded or had in my collection..lol

Maybe for ur idea they could record a reunion nite and at the next one sell the cds im sure loads would buy them as there'ld be a good mixture of old grove songs

Shar

All I wanted was chips!!
Sponsored Links

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-March-2006 at 14:47

Think someone mentioned that plan before but the question of copyright raised its ugly head.

Haven't a clue what the implications would be but reckon there would be issues of some sort or other.

Pity though, it would be a great plan.

Still love the idea of people voting for their top five songs. I'd love to see what the overall favourites were.

Killian get your thinking cap on.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 12:12
Originally posted by Tara Tara wrote:

Thanks,

There was so many good songs played, but there was also some bloody awful songs played too. I started to go to the Grove in 1989 and remember the first time I went thinking I had stepped into 'Heaven'. All those longhaired fellas (which I still have a thing for) and great songs, some of which I had never heard before. It was my 1960'flower power era. The funny thing now is I am back every Monday night in St Paul's as my son is in a club that meets there every Monday night. The hall still looks the same but the corridor doesn't look quite as appealing as it did back in 1989/1990.

Tara

CD idea is great. You'd need more than a double CD. I could see a series of CD's coming out.

You're talking 30 years here and I could fill 10 CD's from  1967 to 1973 alone.

By the way I'm growing the hair long again and I'll be around to pick ya up on my hog and we'll hit the road when the breeze in our faces and Steppenwolf's  "Born to be Wild" ringing in our ears.    Wink
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 13:24
Biker the eternal Rocker
All I wanted was chips!!
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 13:40
Which hair is that Pat, thought you were bald... is that the hair on your legs or under your arms...... trying to picture that blowing in the wind...LOLLOLLOL
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-April-2006 at 14:23
The hair on his chest Teresa..lol
All I wanted was chips!!
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2006 at 06:26

What about a Cd per decade 60s 70s 80s 90s ???

Have talked to a few people about this over weekend and they all thought it was a great idea

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Tara View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
89-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-April-2006 at 06:38
It's crap if the copyright issue get's in the way. Surely there must be something that can be done. There must be somebody that can pull a few strings for us. Is there anybody out there who went to the Grove and is very influential now!!!!!

Tara
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2006 at 13:51
Originally posted by Tara Tara wrote:

It's crap if the copyright issue get's in the way. Surely there must be something that can be done. There must be somebody that can pull a few strings for us. Is there anybody out there who went to the Grove and is very influential now!!!!!

Sure we'll just compile the list and download all the songs......screw copyright smiley2

Me bald...........you must be joking..........the original Quo rocker.......As the Grateful Dead say "Touch of Grey"...........

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Eclectic:87-90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic:87-90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2006 at 14:10

I know that the IMRO Gestapo regularly patrol Irish websites to threaten litigation at even the slightest hint of creativity but here's a suggestion: have various bands record versions of the songs.

That would allow:

(A) Control of content -  e.g. most ex-Grovers would prefer a Santana sound to that of the Zombies for "She's not there"

(B) Payment of royalties to the relevant companies (which can sometimes be waived if it's for charity). Don't forget that the original recording artist has no control on the use of their own music - the record companies will allow you to record a Scissors Sisters sound to Motorhead's "Ace of Spades" if you're willing to pay sufficient royalties. (You see many grumpy artists moan all the time when their music appears on 'Best of' compilations)

The only problem is finding decent bands to record Grove music: most young men would look at you with a slightly nervous stare and start edging backwards towards the door if you were to mention terms such as "guitar-based" sound: random fiddling with electronic equipment appears to be the extent of the capabilities of many 'live' performers. And how many karaokes before we find our female vocals?

Still though, after 30 years of music it wouldn't be that difficult to conduct a series of polls on the site and produce a playlist (even if you hated particular songs I suppose if they were part of the repetoire then they'd need a place on the album). Would really need Cecil to come on board.

Just my €0.02

crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2006 at 08:26

Hi Guys, apologies for my lack of presence over the last 3 months, but I'm back from my Southeast Asian tour now. I'll get on the case regarding the possibility of compiling a "Grove" CD(s). I thought about this idea a few years ago when I realised that there was still such a fire blazing in the heart of many ex-Grovers, but was put off by the amount of work involved regarding clearance and copyright. But since then I've been involved in putting together two compilation CDs, one of originals and one of covers. If Tom Dunne can do it, I'm sure we can!

Watch this space...

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2006 at 09:21
Thats great news Crusty, its something that would feature in a lot of Christmas stockings if it could be done! 
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2006 at 09:24

Nice one Crusty and Welcome Back.

Hope you'd a fantastic trip and that you're in top form for Sunday.

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2006 at 13:44
Originally posted by crusty crusty wrote:

Hi Guys, apologies for my lack of presence over the last 3 months, but I'm back from my Southeast Asian tour now. I'll get on the case regarding the possibility of compiling a "Grove" CD(s). I thought about this idea a few years ago when I realised that there was still such a fire blazing in the heart of many ex-Grovers, but was put off by the amount of work involved regarding clearance and copyright. But since then I've been involved in putting together two compilation CDs, one of originals and one of covers. If Tom Dunne can do it, I'm sure we can!

Watch this space...

Yo Crusty.........fill us in on your South Asian trip.

Where'd you go?

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-April-2006 at 14:16
Crusty fix Biker Pat up with a ticket for Sunday will ya! They all want to meet him - the legend that he is!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-April-2006 at 17:44
Crusty I think you need to do more of a double cd compilation...
Maybe 20 full of Mp3 CDs would be better.
We could buy an old Van with no Reg plates from the knackers Yard and park it outside the Sheiling and sell the Cds off as the Grovers come out
You won't have to worry about Copyright crap lol
crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-April-2006 at 04:56

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind, Black Russian, but knowing my luck I'd be reefed before I even opened the car boot!

Southeast Asia? We flew into Singapore for a couple of days (primarily to purchase a half price video camera to document the rest of the travels), then we flew up to Hanoi, North Vietnam. From there we trained and bussed our way south, then into Cambodia, up through Laos to the Golden Triangle and Northern Thailand. Then we made our way south and into Malaysia, and back up into Southern Thailand where we spent the last month island hopping on the west coast. It was a life changing experience, especially Cambodia and Laos. We went scuba-diving, snorkelling, trekking, sampled many fine national beers - I even petted a fully grown tiger!!! Which looking back, maybe wasn't such a smart thing to do, but at the time...

If the opportunity ever arises for any of you, grab it with both hands. Even to go to the Thai Islands - Ko Phi Phi, Ko Lanta, Ko Lippeh, etc. for a couple of weeks, if you're interested in doing something that little bit different, beats any of the standard Irish destinations - Greece, Spain, Canarys... and the price you pay for the flights you more than compensate for when you're there, as living is so cheap. It would work out the same if not cheaper! Beautiful people, beautiful environment! I'm even working on bringing a Thai rock covers band over to do a small Irish tour (including one Grove Night). They play all the classics - Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Motorhead, Pearl Jam, Dio, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Maiden etc. - and they do it well!

Have you been to that neck of the woods yourself Pat?

Edited by crusty
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-April-2006 at 17:07
Originally posted by crusty crusty wrote:

Yeah, that thought had crossed my mind, Black Russian, but knowing my luck I'd be reefed before I even opened the car boot!

Southeast Asia? We flew into Singapore for a couple of days (primarily to purchase a half price video camera to document the rest of the travels), then we flew up to Hanoi, North Vietnam. From there we trained and bussed our way south, then into Cambodia, up through Laos to the Golden Triangle and Northern Thailand. Then we made our way south and into Malaysia, and back up into Southern Thailand where we spent the last month island hopping on the west coast. It was a life changing experience, especially Cambodia and Laos. We went scuba-diving, snorkelling, trekking, sampled many fine national beers - I even petted a fully grown tiger!!! Which looking back, maybe wasn't such a smart thing to do, but at the time...

If the opportunity ever arises for any of you, grab it with both hands. Even to go to the Thai Islands - Ko Phi Phi, Ko Lanta, Ko Lippeh, etc. for a couple of weeks, if you're interested in doing something that little bit different, beats any of the standard Irish destinations - Greece, Spain, Canarys... and the price you pay for the flights you more than compensate for when you're there, as living is so cheap. It would work out the same if not cheaper! Beautiful people, beautiful environment! I'm even working on bringing a Thai rock covers band over to do a small Irish tour (including one Grove Night). They play all the classics - Metallica, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Motorhead, Pearl Jam, Dio, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Maiden etc. - and they do it well!

Have you been to that neck of the woods yourself Pat?

Crusty,

I discovered Thailand in '92 and go back there every year.

The Far East is where its at. I used to work in Aer Lingus and have travelled extensively but Thailand  just changed  my whole direction in holidaying.

The rock music from the old days gets played everywhere. I have a bar in Bangkok that when I go in the man Dom puts on Creedence Clearwater Revival immediately for me. Jaysus, I've air guitared in that bar a lot over the years, usually with a broom smiley12

Last trip I brought my own CD's and was allowed do DJ (no mike) in a pool bar in Bangkok for a few nights. No big deal but I met so many people who were into the music, it was a real blast.

The Cecil of the Orientsmiley2

The whole pace of life, attitude, prices, food, weather. Hey, I'm hooked.

Already booked to return 17 Dec 06.

I'm lucky, my wife is Thai. We met in Wales. Her sister works here in Co Clare for a friend of mine who has a hotel chain and we got introduced and the rest as they say is history.

It makes discovering Thailand and it's cultures etc.. so much easier.

I plan over time to hit Laos/Cambodia etc..

And my advice to all other forum folks is to head east if you get the chance.

Crusty is not exaggerating.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
aurnia View Drop Down
88-90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aurnia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2006 at 10:10
Ok late going into this thread - only joined here yesterday..

Anyhow ehm from what I can remember from '88 - '90 and bear in mind after what 20 odd yrs of listening to music, my mind could be a bit fuzzy and blurring into other disco's, 80's nights and of course the club Dominion that I dj for.

Here's the list :

Waterboys - Whole Of The Moon
B52's - Rock Lobster (with the special dance)
REM - Stand (with the special dance)
Ram Jam - Black Betty - Defo remember the moshes from this!
The Smiths - Panic And How Soon Is It Now?
Sinead O'Connor - Mandika
Rainbow - Since You've Been Gone.
Boston - More Than A Feeling. He did do this didn't he?!
The Mission - Wasteland
The Sisters Of Mercy - This Corrosion.
The Pixies
Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama
Steppenwolf - Born to be Wild
Bob Dylan - Lady Lay
Depeche Mode - Can't Get Enough
The Kinks - Lola
Motorhead - Ace of Spades
The Cure - A Forest
U2 - Sunday Bloody Sunday, Gloria or I Will Follow?
Clime Fisher???
Gary Numan
Duran Duran?
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Come On Eileen - this was near the end wasn't it?
New Order - Blue Monday
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary
The Police?
Stiff Little Fingers - Alternative Ulster
The Troggs - Wild Thing
Alice Cooper - School's Out For Summer?
Bryan Adams - Summer Of '69
Golden Earring - Radar Love??
Guns and Roses - Paradise City
The Jam - Going Underground & A Town Called Malice
The Specials - Ghost Town?
The Doors.
Talking Heads - Psycho Killer
The Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant & God Save The Queen
Siouxsie And The Banshees - Dear Prudence & Hong Kong Garden??
Iggy Pop - The Passenger
Human League
Ian Dury - Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll or was it Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick?

Slow Sets
Eric Clapton - Wonderful To Night
Led Zepplin - Stairway To Heaven
Hazel O'Connor - Will You
The Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin - my fav!
Bob Dylan - Knocking On Heaven's Door. He did play this didn't he? I'm nearly certain.
Reo Speedwagon - Keep On Loving You. Another one I think he did.
Cyndi Lauper - True Colours
Richard Marx - Right Here Waiting For You
Roxy Music - Jealous Guy - I think?
Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg - J'taime Moi Non Plus. Another I think he did..
Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares To U

More will come to me..

Orla

***Edit 1***

Just thought of more - I'll keep adding as I remember

The Primatives - Crash?
Transvision Vamp - Baby I Don't Care. Defo 'cause I saw them in the Point in 89 and I was at the Grove the next weekend with the bunch of lads, that I went to the gig with - all from my repeat Leaving class.
The Clash - ?
U2 - With Or Without You - Slow set, I think..
Alice Cooper - Poison. Love this track
The Cure - In Between Days & Lullaby
David Bowie - Heroes? Ashes To Ashes?
Joy Division - Love Will Never Tear Us Apart
Siouxsie and the Banshees - Cities In Dust?

***Edit 2***

Eurythmics - Sweet Dreams
Billy Idol - Rebel Yell, Mony Mony, White Wedding. I'm defo he played at least one of these.
Kraftwerk - The Model. Not sure if he played any of the other great tracks, such as Radioactivity, Autobahn. Probably did but it was before my time.
Bon Jovi - Living On A Prayer?

***Edit 3***
Bananarama?
The Stranglers - I think Peaches but not sure on Golden Brown, but probably yeah.
Prince - Doves Cry, Purple Rain
Shakespeares Sister - History? I think perhaps he did but couldn't swear on it

***Edit 4***

Slow Sets - I think these were played - well I do remember dancing to them around this time.

Chicago - Glory Of Love
Foreigner - I Want To Know What Love Is
Percy Sledge - When A Man Loves A Woman

***Edit 5***

And how could I forget, there would be *No* Grove without:
REM - The One I Love
REM - It's The End Of The World and I Feel Fine

I'm sure Violent Femme's - Blister in the Sun got a look in somewhere.

It's a pity, I don't remember some of the Gothy one's. Grrr.. should do! :p

I'm done for tonight anyhow! Gotta get moving - DJ'ing tonight. Have fun reminiscing

Edited by aurnia
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2006 at 07:43

Great list of songs Orla Here are few mor that I can think of

AC/DC  Highway to Hell-Whole Lotta Rosie-Back in Black ?
The Clash  London Calling-Should I stay or should I go
Deep Purple  Smoke on the Water
Guns and Roses Sweet Child of mine
Simple Minds  Waterfront
Def Leppard  Animal
Patti Smith  Because the Night
Led Zeppelin  Black Dog-Rock n' Roll-Whole lotta love-Communication breakdown
Black Sabbath  Paranoid-War Pigs
Thin Lizzy
Nirvana  Smells like Teen spirit- Come as you are ???? I think I can vaguely remember these
Steve Earle  Copperhead road ????? YAY or Nay
Sister of Mercy  This Corrosion and Dominion
Faith no more  Epic and Edge of the World
Hazel O' Connor   8th Day
The Damned  Eloise ???

Metallica   Enter Sandman- One
Lynard Skynard   Freebird  It was tough to get get Cecil to play this had to keep nagging him every week :)

Edited by Black Russian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>