The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Compound
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the courtyard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:09

Donal,

"CHAT" is that what it is called now ???

V

Verona
Sponsored Links

Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 12:51
It's what would take place before anything else, I think. Been so long now I wouldn't know where to begin.
Impotence; nature's way of saying no hard feelings!
Trixie View Drop Down
Really Senior Member
Really Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 14:29
Oh purr-leassseee!!!!!!! Do ya expect us to believe that!!!

Edited by Trixie
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 16:23

HATED-absolutely HATED all the 'chat' as you refer to it,Donal.

'Do you come here often'...'what music do you like'...'can I walk you home'. Ugh. Half the time the girls didn't know if you were just out for a quick shift or really wanted to get to know them.

I do remember the unspoken rule was,the first slow set you could dance,the second,if you brought your face close enough and she responded by bringing hers to yours,it was OK to kiss.

If you could walk her home,it was a date,and if you asked to go for a walk in St Annes the next day,you were an item.

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 16:29
Jaysis Martin, you musta been spying on meself and herself, that's exactly how it panned out..................now here we are 26 years later .
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 16:38
You and hundreds others,no doubt  
There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 20:06
Remember asking one girl - Lisa her name was - what her favourite music was and she responded with one word "Disco" - I nearly fainted on the spot!!
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 21:30
LOL Mel, what happened next?
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 21:51

Hiya June, hope you're well!

We danced for the slow set but it was pretty obvious that we werent really compatible - should have guessed from the garb she was wearing - pinks and pastel colours - very "saturday night fever".  Anyway, it didnt become too much of an issue because she "went to the loo" and didnt return!!   (saw her at the end of the night, leaving with some other bloke!!)  

Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 23:09
Sounds like a lucky escape Mel
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 23:21
Ah mel agree with June lucky escape that been said have used the whole " goiing to the loo " excuse meself
Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 00:59

I used a "just going down to my mates" excuse once (and only once!) and I felt so guilty after.  The guilt was compounded later when I went up to the stage close to 1pm to ask Cecil to play a song and, as I was leaving, I saw the girl I had scarpered from standing on stage, giving me daggers!  If you're reading this, *girl in question*, sorry about that!

freebird View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2007 at 14:08

Jaysis Mel it was you! remember that night well, thought you were the bees knees and that things were going well, until you said you were going down to see a  mate for a moment and you'd be back.

Waited through two slow sets all by myself. Then spent the rest of the time on the stage alone. Took me ages to recover from that rejection, been in therapy for years after...

sorry only pulling your leg

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-May-2007 at 10:38
 Phew....!
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 08:27

Ah - why did nobody explain these "unwritten rules". Too late now Martin. So when I asked three or four question and tried a mooch, I was an entire slow set too early? Explains a lot

The "chat" was a vital necessity. Many moons back I "got off" with what I thought was a fine thing on a Saturday night in the grove, only to be greeted by huge laughter on the Monday morning. The friend we had in common informed that this girl was three years younger than she had let on. she was a second year or some such.

After that, there were a few extra questions thrown into the "interrogation" to try and ensure that didn't happen again. The cunning ask the same question in three different ways and see does she trip herself up with the answers.

I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 08:29

Remember another night very early in my grove days (or maybe even a social in Paul's?). Must have been very early because the auld fella gave me a lift home. He noticed something, turned out it was puke on the shoulder of my jacket.

Now, I can understand the girl in question (I assume a slow set was the lost likely place to get someone puking on you?) feeling a bit queasy, but puking on me. Was that really necessary

I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 13:44

Uggghhh at that story Whipper!!  Did you start asking them to quote from whatever play was on for the Leaving or something to verify their age? 

THose unspoken rules are interesting - the wait till second slow set for a shift rule was well gone when I was there, sometimes the lads didn't wait till the end of the first song!!!

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 16:44
Now X...who was so ungentleman like???? Anyone I know????
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 20:11

Think I know someone who can better that,'Snapper (or 'worse' it)...we'll call him Kev (cos I know he doesn't be on here) was slow dancing with someone who he had his eye on and,as she was drunk she too puked during the dance.

Trouble is,they were snogging at the time...

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2007 at 20:12
Don'r mean to lower the tone or anything but this did happen-I know this was an urban myth for a while in the 80's but poor Kevvy-it happened to the poor sod.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>