The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Compound
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

the courtyard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
84 to 88...ish..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-March-2007 at 22:21
The compound was a place where I had to lock my bike on the Monday morning and avoid the puke... 

Grover 84-88...ish... I think..
I dunno! I was all dazed and confused...(with Floyd)..
http://www.facebook.com/tmirolo
Sponsored Links

irish_mammy View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
80-84 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_mammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 05:38
Wouldn't happen if you could hold your drink 
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 16:32

Originally posted by Maureen O'Hara Maureen O'Hara wrote:

what is it with this whole 'compound' thing? When I attended it was called 'the courtyard'.

Discuss.

Hi Maureen,

When I went to the Grove (86-90) it was definitely referred to as the Compound, this is the first I've heard of it being called the courtyard but as we went different years.....

Anyone else out there remember it being called the Courtyard?

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 20:34
I THINK it was called the Courtyard in the early 80s, June, but I'm not certain
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
LORRI View Drop Down
83-86

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LORRI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 22:54
Definitely knew it as the compound
Tonto View Drop Down
84 to 88...ish..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 23:56

Deffo the compound. It was built in the early '80s... about 82-83.

And it probably was me own puke...

Grover 84-88...ish... I think..
I dunno! I was all dazed and confused...(with Floyd)..
http://www.facebook.com/tmirolo
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 00:07
Hmm, built in the early 80s?  - maybe I'm mixed up then as the place I remember for 'air' was out through the glass-doors of the long hallway, that ran the length of the main hall, into a grassy and gravel area with fencing.  Everyone used to spill out there for a breather.  Pretty sure the place I remember was built before 1980 as that was the year I left school, and you could see the grassy/gravel place from our pre-fab classroom (the old cloakroom) in St. Pauls.  Maybe this explains the mix-up between compound/courtyard?
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 11:50

I'm with Tonto - the compound was the place for bikes.

Never heard of the courtyard - more Jane Austen than St Paul's I would have thought?

I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
freebird View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
Really Really Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freebird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 12:06
I think Jane Austin would turn in her grave if she knew the 'courting procedure' in the Courtyard  
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 12:32
Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Hmm, built in the early 80s?  - maybe I'm mixed up then as the place I remember for 'air' was out through the glass-doors of the long hallway, that ran the length of the main hall, into a grassy and gravel area with fencing.  Everyone used to spill out there for a breather.  Pretty sure the place I remember was built before 1980 as that was the year I left school, and you could see the grassy/gravel place from our pre-fab classroom (the old cloakroom) in St. Pauls.  Maybe this explains the mix-up between compound/courtyard?

Thats the way I remember it too Mel, back in '81/'84

Edited by Bluebell
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
LORRI View Drop Down
83-86

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LORRI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 13:06

Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

That is the place I knew as the compoud in the mid 80s

irish_mammy View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
80-84 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_mammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2007 at 12:53
All I remember is that's where all the bold girls and boys went (if they were lucky!!)
Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-March-2007 at 13:56

Originally posted by freebird freebird wrote:

I think Jane Austin would turn in her grave if she knew the 'courting procedure' in the Courtyard  

Probably just be jealous that she'd missed all the fun!!

Knew it as the Compound in my day, never a whisper of the Courtyard, sounds very posh - sure you're not thinking of Wesley Maureen?

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 12:06
Always the compound when I went, go out for some air and maybe a "chat" with some nice girl if you were lucky. Did anyone go to or know anyone who went to Chanel in Coolock? Thats where i went, left in '85! Just wondering????  
Impotence; nature's way of saying no hard feelings!
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2007 at 17:50

Donal go out to off topic forum and I just brought back up a topic on that very thing - you'll find some school mates in there

Topic "What school did you go to"

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
verh View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2007 at 15:18

Donal,

Family not 2 far from here I think the lads went to Chanel 4

Names - Maurice Michael Morgan Crowley - am I right ???

V

Verona
Kate View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster
84-88ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 20:45
Donal, herd you did a bit more than "chat" in the compound!!!
more than a feeling!!!   
verh View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 19:34

Welcome Kate - fill us in on the gossip re: Donal PLEASE

V

Verona
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-May-2007 at 20:46

Welcome aboard Kate!

Kate View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster
84-88ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-May-2007 at 11:28

Thanks for that Brunswick... I'll never walk alone!!! , beats being a Spurs fan any day.....

Checked my sources again Verona...... apparentley all he did was chat!!!! ha ha ha.....

more than a feeling!!!   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>