Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

St. Annes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: St. Annes
    Posted: 03-February-2007 at 00:28

They go hand in hand,right?

The Grove on a Saturday night,St. Annes on a Sunday, (maybe St.Annes on a Saturday night,too-with a flagon before the Grove) or maybe you would meet someone on Saturday night and arrange to go for a walk on Sunday.

The park is certainly worthy of a mention,a part of (most of us) our growing up,too.

Arthur Guinness (who was a miller before he was a brewer) bought lands in Clontarf known as Heronstown and Blackbush when his famous stout took off. He was very fond of the area,so much so he decided to use Brian (patriot of the Battle of Clontarf) Boru's harp as his logo.

He married Olive White (from Muckross House in Kerry) and they lived in Thornhill,the large house which once stood at the top of Mansion Avenue,now demolished but some blocks from the house still lay scattered around the park. Arthurs son,Benjamin Lee Guinness and his wife Elizabeth decided to name the estate St. Annes (St. Anne was the mother of Mary) after an ancient holy well near one of the ponds. 

The amenities in the park all have names,even though we know them by something else.

The Old Pond is in fact called Crab Lake Water,the Tower Bridge beside the new pond is called Annies Bridge (after Benjamines first born),the new pond itself is actually called The Sunken Garden, and St. Annes' river is called the Nanniken.The Grove itself (or St. Pauls) was originally known as Sybill Hill,and was sold to Arthur Guinness in 1870.

Lands purchased by the Guinness family,which much later were sold to Dublin Corporation for housing,offer their names to the streets there. For example,All Saints Road is named after the church Olive had built in the grounds,Nanniken Avenue after St. Annes' river.Wades Avenue,after Sarah Wade sold her land to the Guinness family.

Maryville Road,after the townland of Maryville,bought by Arthur Guinness in 1878,and Vernon Avenue,after Lord John Venables Vernon sold the original Thornhill site to Arthur Guinness.

Ok-history lesson over...who will lift the mood with their stories of St. Annes?

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Sponsored Links

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 00:43

Ballyhoy Ave here! Grew up in St. Anne’s estate as did Kay and Polly! We certainly had our life in the park - kiss chasing the lot.  What a way to grow up.  The Tennis courts in the summer and then pitch and put.  I loved the park dearly and it’s so much part of my life when I go home.  A trip home is not complete without a trip to the park.  In the summer we would go down there all day long.  As we got older it was the beach and the park at night.  We played soccer for years there and rounders. ahhhhhhhh St. Anne’s I love you....  My first heart throb was from the grove and yes many days were spent with him down the park and the victims thereafter, but the first person I lay in the grass with near the old pond was a nice french lad.  Laurent Delipene.......ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edited by eejit91
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 02:50

Lovely story T.

Must say I love the Park too.( Great Thread Martin, good on ya.)

From the summer evenings when all the lads would play football just in front of the mound where the house used be, to the sunday afternoons when meself and herself would take the obligatory post Grove stroll.....................doesn't get any better.

Nowadays I'm so lucky, still live close enough to be a regular visitor, small fella plays all his home games on pitch nine.

Have wonderful memories of St. Annes.

Just thinking, we all must have passed each other loads of times without knowing it.

Edited by Rolo
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 11:34
Agree with ya Martin re the Park, part of all our lives really.  Dont forget the ould larks in the park as well!
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 12:18

The larks were great. I remember one particular good lark where Dave Fanning compered. (Met you at that one,Mel)

You couldn't top Sunday afternoons in the summer.The walk up manion avenue,kicking a ball or throwing a frisbee in front of the mound with the gang.The guys would bare their chests and the girls would sit and make daisy chains.

Did you know there was (still is) a tunnel runnng underground from the present Howth Road to Clontarf,under the avenue.On December 24th,1943 the then unoccupied house burst into flames and gutted Thornhill. No one seems to know how or why. What is known is that gun running went on in the tunnel,by (then) Sinn Fein supporters,and possibly members so there was possibly a parimilitary agenda to the fire as the empty house was used as a munitions store.

The only survivng piece from the house was a sculpture of a recling marble figure callrd the Shepherd Boy,which was bought by a Dublin solicitor,John Burke for £28. It is now kept at Iveagh House.

Funny thing is,when we'd go knacker drinking in the park,I don't think I ever drank Guinness...

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
BakerBabe View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster
84/88 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BakerBabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 12:58
Martin - brill history lesson - Mr Shevlin never taught me as much in school ! You are such a web of information - but in all honesty that is something that we should all have been taught about in school - our local history instead of some of the c**p we were taught.  The lark in the park was great - how come they stopped or does anyone know - the last one I recall was probably circa '89 - then again I moved out around then......
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 16:02

Do any of you remember Manresa House in Clontarf; gosh I had the greatest memories of that.  Each summer they had a big festival there and we were always brought.  I hope I have the spelling correct.

I could not agree more that local history would have been fantastic to learn.  Our communities were steeped in history and the interest would have been fantastic.  Of course growing up beside the park we knew of the tunnels alright.  Some of the lads used to venture into them and bring out gas masks and the likes.  I believe there is one near the clock tower.  They filled them in some years ago due to the danger.  My brothers and sisters remember well the day they took the mansion down and I clearly remember playing on the huge marble stones from the mansion that were put in the green railing in St. Anne’s.

Some years later they built all kinds of wooden play objects.  I remember a maze that was built over behind the band stand.  Do you remember the old hippy garden behind the mound?  When I think of the dangers that face the kids today and then think back to how we played for hours and hours in around the hippy garden all through the deep woods there.  I remember a few of the gang getting into the tower that is on the hill in front of the old pond.

I am the youngest of eight and I remember being brought to the park with my sisters I must have only been around 4 or 5.  They would join all their gang on the mansion road and lay on the grass beside the mound just like we did years later.  I can remember their long hair and their bell bottoms.  My brothers used to take me for walks early on a Saturday morning to see the wild life – fantastic memories I must say.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 21:15
Jeez, all the great memories of the park T!  I remember the old garden behind the mound alright, and hanging out down by the clock tower and that little rocky area by the river, where you could just sit and chill - we used to call that place hobbiton in honour of the great Mr Tolkien...used to spend many a summers evening down the park until after dark (some Harmo lads gave us a few digs down there one night - near the old red bricked shelter across from the clock tower - that was the only bad experience I ever had down there).
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-February-2007 at 23:52
Great bit of info there Floydman Thanks!  Nice down there this afternoon. (bit chilly you'll be glad to hear T.!)

Anyone hear the path through the woods from the old pond to the new one being called the Elf Path? Or the 'Ghost Tree' beside the old Fountain at the Walled Garden?
There used be a green metal arch bridge over the river too.

The Nanniken runs (mostly underground) between Kilmore road and Ardlea road to the Malahide road beside the Esso station, through St Brigids estate and under St Brigids road at the schools then between Brookwood/ Rosemount Avenue to the park.

Teresa, the Hippy garden must've been the old Walled garden - used to be very overgrown. You mention Ballyhoy - theres a Ballyhoy river but don't know where it ran/runs. Used to have a book 'the rivers of Dublin' must search it out.

as a kid I remember lots of people in bell bottoms making daisy chains all right!

CP

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 00:07

Originally posted by RoundaboutToo! RoundaboutToo! wrote:

Teresa, the Hippy garden must've been the old Walled garden - used to be very overgrown.

When I was small I was brought down to 'The Gardens' as my sister would call it. Early seventies. There would be lots of 'beautiful people' (man) just hanging out,smoking stuff (although I didn't know it at the time) and someone would have one of those top loading portable cassette players,playing T-Rex or something.

I believe it was originally called the Italian Garden by the Ardilauns (Lord and Lady Guinness) but Olive Guinness also had a pet cemetry in the estate and some research I managed (as I was gung ho to write a book on the park's history some time ago) showed it was on that site. These 'hippie dudes' probably all had rituals at midnight on the graves!!!

I'm sure I had pictures of the park in it's youth...

RoundaboutToo! View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’75-’79 and ’06 - present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoundaboutToo! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 00:26
I'd love to read a bit more about the park - go for it! Amazing to think it was all constructed before the JCB age!  I believe the boathouse and more will be restored this year.
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 00:43

Found some. These are photocopies so not brilliant quality I'm afraid.

This is the boat house,or 'Tea House',probably 1890's,modelled on an Italian model Annie Lee had as a toy.The lake was formed by damming the river and channeling it into the excavated site.The upturned earth was used to form islands,which you could walk onto when the pond was frozen over.(Did that once!)

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 00:45

This is Thornhill,the Guiness family home,as it stood in the 1870's,at the very top of Mansion Avenue. (the 'mound').

Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 00:47

Some different views of Thornhill,after Arthurs son,Benjamin made some extenions...

Mins View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
1984-1987

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 06:46
Appreciate the photos...

Fantastic !!

Mins.
Mins View Drop Down
1984-1987

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 13:42
St Annes...

Hard to put into words what it means to me, meant to me. Everytime I walk there now I have flashes of when I was a kid, a teenager and a struggling Mum of toddlers.

The Avenue seemed too long to me as a kid and NOT long enough as a teenager.

I have brought my kids to the park and they have done probably what I did, albeit a thirty year gap.

Running up and down the hills in the Rosegarden, leaning in TOO far in the little pond in the " Secret Garden" and chasing sticks in the river all the way down to the scary dark " Old Pond" to feed the ducks ( and the rats !! ) Humungus things.....

I have sat in front of the mound with my kids where I used to Jim Redmond watch, read Karl Marx, make Daisy Chains and dream of Jim Morrisson.

I trace the trails I took with boyfriends where kisses were shared and break ups were staged.

I turn corners and breathe paths suffocating sometimes with familiar faces and ghosts of the past.

I am sure if I walked the Avenue from Sybill Hill down to where the Great House SHOULD still stand, I could pinpoint the very clump of trees where once about 6 of us ladies supposedly, took a very long pre-Grove wee in unison.

I remember the lazy Summer days spent playing tennis and buying ice creams in the Sugar Loaf Cake Shop near the park.

I glance up at the spot where I used to lie listening to Marillion on a Sunday for hours, trying to keep Monday at arms length..doing the post mortem on the Grove experience from the night before. Anything to keep Monday and school away for as long as possible.

I remember MY dog and HIS dog and us throwing sticks into the new pond. Dogs long gone now.

Cycling from Clontarf through the Rose Garden and by the Tennis courts was a adrenaline rush in the early hours of the morning. This short cut sure beat the long way around, via the Seafront and up Watermill Road BUT had the disadvantage in that it WAS scary at 02:00 or whatever and many occasion encountered the weirdo.

Ah.........too many memories....

Floyd..just don´t want to go there !!!!

Mins

( Good Thread though buddy !! ).

Edited by Mins
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 15:31

Those pictures are fantastic! I had a long chat with a guy a while ago out on the Irish Emigrant about the park and he was trying to find some info on it - Floydman (Martin) if you have a link I would appreciate it so much.

I can give you a bit of info from a very young Childs standpoint! We used to walk the length of the river in our bare feet from the tennis court all the way up to the Howth Road! Oh yuck.  We once built a dam in the river at the back of the tennis courts and captured a bunch of water and the lads would swim in it! Again Yuck!  We had our favorite trees we would climb and our hideout at the back of the tennis courts along the river where first kisses took place. Finding a good tree where you could get a swing going and that would take up weeks of pleasure.

I remember when they put in the soccer pitches beside the river, and running through the hills of dirt there before it was all leveled out for pitches.

Our sports day would be held in the field just beside the mansion road.  I remember walking across the fields one day with a giant Australian cigarette in my mouth feeling so cool with my friends only to spot my Mother in the distance.  I nearly ate it! She beat me in syllables all the way home.  Then made me apologies to my uncle for robbing his cigarettes off the mantle!

Robbing the daffodils to give to your Mother for Mother’s Day!

Oh Gosh Floydman you have brought so many memories back to me with this topic, you can tell now it was my home away from home! 

http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/safaripark/eagles/16/stannes/st annes.htm

Edited by eejit91
Fester View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-February-2007 at 22:23
What a brilliant thread, can't wipe the smile off me face reading all these memories.  
Taylor View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
77-80ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2007 at 09:07

< name="AdsSignaller">if(document.body){document.body.off_complete = "yes"; window.status = "off_end"; window.status = ""}

Great thread Floydman - and super photos - pity the house was let go to rack and ruin and finally pulled down. I remember the ruins when I was a child - enjoyed cycling along the magical hidden world of the Nanniken years later, with all those phoney Greek Temples and Roman ruins, also remember winning a goldfish at a Manresa House garden fete when I was 8, latest experience was a visit with my family last June to the beautiful Rose Gardens (another hidden jewel) after a high tide swim at a sunny and warm Dollymount Strand, followed by a drink in the remaining walls of the old Norman keep inside Clontarf Castle ...

The Universe is a void full of infinite possibilities
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-February-2007 at 12:41
We haven't been in St Annes in about 18/19yrs.....think during the summer we should all try to meet up some sunday afternoon down there....we could have a "grove reunion picnic" bring Pete's CD's with us a few bottles of wine or whatever you drink (for those who are not driving) We can sit and reminisce while the kids kick ball or climb the trees or make daisy chains. Now all we need is guarantee sunshine 
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>