Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOOKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 10:25
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Yeh Rolo decided to treat myself in Hughes and Hughes omnio today.

For anyone who is interested hes signing his book there on 8th of December.

Also had a chat with guy there re Gemmel he reckons third book was finished and will dhortly be available

That's Super news....but feel a bit selfish that I'm delighted over that, wish he was around to write a whole heap more trilogies.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
Sponsored Links

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 11:04

Have you ever tried Tad Williams

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
1. The Dragonbone Chair 2. The Stone of Farewell 3. To Green Angel Tower

or Stephen Donaldson?

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

A man must have a code
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 12:49
Yes Read Tad Williams 1 2 & 3 also read his Otherland Saga...a bit patchy in places but when it was good it was fabulous.
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 13:01
Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

Have you ever tried Tad Williams

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
1. The Dragonbone Chair 2. The Stone of Farewell 3. To Green Angel Tower

Firstly how I have managed to not see this post till now?  I devour books, fiction, non fiction, historic novels, read my first graphic novel recently and loved it!  Basically I will read anything.

Yep, read them several times Finno and really enjoyed them. first time I read them I borrowed Bruns copies - thanks Mel! I have my own copies now.  biggrin1  Anyone read his Otherland series?  i found them hard going very different to MS and T, but I did enjoy it.   I see he has a new epic series out.

Would really recommed Marge Piercy - Gone to Soldiers and Ursula Heigi - Stones from the River, both with a WWII setting, brilliantly written and gripping stories.

Have loads of non fiction in the bookcase to read, never seem to get near them these days though.  Robert Fisk is there as is Diarmaid Ferriter, "The Transformation of Ireland" and Frank McDonald "Chaos at the Crossroads".  Must get to them.

I enjoyed Wally Lamb.  If you like him try Richard Russo - Empire Falls and Straight Man.

Could go on and on but there's still work here to be done!  Happy Reading and lets hope Santa brings lots of books next week.

Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 13:56

Anyone read any Robin Hobb (Farseer Trilogy & Liveship traders) if not highly recommend to anyone interested in Fantasy. Read the two Farseer trilogy's backto back when the second set came out. Pure Magic!

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 14:02

Originally posted by Hayseed Dixie Hayseed Dixie wrote:

Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

No worries on the Soap Box HD, will enjoy the debate, as Finno says, over a couple of lemonades, one of the days.

Oh yeah...defo...just one thing tho...

Forget the lemonades...can't have a proper debate over non alcoholic substances..hehehe!!

All the fun debates are drink fueled and passionate...

So plenty of the blackstuff and whiskey....yee haaar!!

Damn I will just hate to miss that brawl!!!! that just might finish this website for good!  I suggest you drink quite a few before the debate and when your good and drunk then start into it!!!!! you know at that point when you clearly know your perfect and right in every way.

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:14
I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident" as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!
A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:15
Probably tripping over Mins plo scarf
A man must have a code
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:29

I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident" as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!

Sorry Finno,

I'll have all me mates along, all the Goldbergs, Goldsteins and their brothers to look after me !

finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 15:31
I'll just bring Sheflin and the rest of the cats  - like cream always on top.
A man must have a code
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 17:31

I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will
be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident"
as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!

It will be like having a gihad with a geehead

Nyuk, nyuk...just kiddin Rolo
star View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
89-92 I think so anyway!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 19:30
Originally posted by Pogue Mahoney Pogue Mahoney wrote:

[QUOTE=finno] I hate to disapoint you but there will be no brawl! There will
be a mature discussion as why Rolo is wrong or where he has an "accident"
as he leaves the premises with a fatwa ringing in his ears!

It will be like having a gihad with a geehead ...horrible word POGUE mahoney

Never Again on a school night! Famous last words
star View Drop Down
89-92 I think so anyway!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 19:33

One of the books I most remember from my days of my early teens and that had a great impact on me is called "Where The Red Fern Grows". Don't know who the author was but you will find it on Amazon. Get it for your kids, it's a fantastic story and heartwarming and heartbreaking, covers every emotion really. And of course read it yourself, or better still read it to them at night.

ooh and who can forget "To Kill A Mockingbird ".. need i say more!   

Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 21:09
"To Kill A Mockingbird "....Classic!
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 22:18
Originally posted by star star wrote:

horrible word POGUE mahoney

Ah- I apologise for using it. The original joke where I heard it was about
Bush, so it was used in its proper context.
star View Drop Down
89-92 I think so anyway!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 23:23

That's ok Pogue, just hate that G word.. yeuch.

Dunno that Bush joke, is it good?

Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-December-2006 at 23:50

Jaysus!! What's this lads..I go away for a week or so and this place turns into Vice City with all this talk of my gang and your gang and fatwahs and Gihad's...

We are all peace lovin' hippies right...? Mostly in suits and ties now..but hey....

hehehe!!

Damn..I've been away too long
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2006 at 00:11
Im not in a suit let alone a tie!
A man must have a code
Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-December-2006 at 00:23

Oh well..right...everyone cept Finno...ya oul rebel ya...hehehe
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 09:46
Any Harry Potter fans out there amongst you?  The seventh and last book is being finished off apparently and will be published later this year!!  Can't wait myself.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 40>