Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOOKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>
Author
Really Really Senior Member
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 22:53
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

I've just started the Robert Fisk and am enjoying it. I think he is the No. 1 journalist  fantastic writer inciteful articles.

Think he's very biased in his writing Finno.

Read the big book on hols this summer and was struck by his very strong Pro Palestinian bias.

I'm not gonna start to argue the pros and cons of the great debate here, as obviously everyone has their own opinions on the subject. Just the stuff was very one sided.

I'm pretty sure he says that himself in his book. Goes so far as to say that he can't abide by the "must always be balanced"  type of journalism. He wears his convictions on his sleeve and has lived among the people he writes about for many years. How many journalists would try to write an unbiased piece on the Nazi's or the Holocaust or any modern neo fascist group?..and rightly so..sometimes journalists have to take a stance. Personally I have always found Robert Fisk takes the side of the most vulnerable and oppressed people wherever he reports from..including our own conflict. I think that this book is as equally scathing of Arab and Muslim leaders and extremists as it is of Israeli and US leadership, and his description of the horror that was the Iran/Iraq war was rivetting and horrifying at the same time, and he didn't write it from the comfort of a BBC studio like a lot of so called journalists at the time.

In fact the one major figure in  the whole Palestinian conflict I think he is most scathing about in the book is Yasser Arafat who was and still is considered a great leader among a lot of Palestinian people, but who Fisk clearly believes was a self promoter and more interested in his own political advancement than the plight of the people he was supposed to be leading.

I would not see Fisk as Anti American as a lot of the right wing press like to paint him, in fact if you read a lot of his articles he has a deep admiration and respect for the American people. It is people like Bush and Chaney that he despises, and in that respect he is in tune with more than 50% of the American electorate at the moment.

I have always found in reading his books and articles that he has a genuine kinship with victims of war everywhere, be they Palestinians, Iraqi's, Israeli's, Americans and irrespective whether they are murdered by suicide bombers, Israeili tanks, American missiles or brutal dictators. A dead child is a dead child in any country and in any language. From a personal viewpoint I think the world needs people like Robert Fisk to stand up and be counted and tell us what is really happening. I for one dont want to be relying on Fox or CNN or Al Jazeera or even RTE for that matter.

Anyway..sorry for rabbiting on...is something I feel quite strongly about as you might have gathered..plus I like to drag out my soapbox every now and then..hehehe!!

Peace and love and all that
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Sponsored Links

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 08:24

Hey HD dont hang back now just come right out and say wot you think !!!!

Ok have not read Robert Fisk so cant give an opinion will check him out though

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 10:00

Hayseed we must have a chat.

Earlier this year i read "This Thing of Darkness" by H Thompson, This is from a review in the Times

CHARLES DARWIN HAD an odd-shaped life. Young, in debt, a conventional believer due to become a parson, he made a journey that was supposed to take two years. It lasted five. He was ill for ever thereafter (probably from a disease contracted in South America), but raised a large family while dissecting, observing and speculating about nature in his Kent garden. He gathered proofs and illustrations for a theory begun on that voyage, and on the way lost his belief in God. Twenty years after the voyage of The Beagle, On the Origin of Species pitchforked him into public battles with the Church.

But Darwin had a happy marriage, money, success. The action-packed life of the secretly manic-depressive captain who invited him onto The Beagle ended in suicide.

It is a brave, sad tale. Socially, practically, Robert Fitzroy was far ahead of his time. He championed the rights of people whom Victorian gentlemen and rapacious white settlers in New Zealand called savages, believing they should be treated equally. He brought Fuegian natives to England and returned them home at his own expense. He promoted meteorology and weather bulletins, which saved many lives but were halted in England by vested interests. Owners lost money not when fishermen died, but when boats did not go out because of forecasts.

Fitzroy constantly fought for ideals and lost. The Fuegians were damaged by coming to England. His young sailors died. And despite his scientific interests, he passionately defended biblical truth. Mutation of species, as they called it then, threatened belief in the literal truth of Genesis.

This became a dangerous issue on The Beagle. It later divided Darwin and Fitzroy. And this conflict drives Harry Thompson’s fictionalised picture of Fitzroy’s life. This Thing of Darkness does not work as a novel. Thompson has done fantastic research but cannot step back from it; the sentences are not alert enough. But as fictionalised biography, this is a fascinating read. Behind the rich textures, all those sailors, storms and places — Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego, Galapagos — is a grim battle about the origin of life."

I found it a fascinating book to read and as as a first novel it promised a lot. Unfortunately just after it was published the author died of cancer.

Another very moving was "Suite Francaise" by Irène Némirovsky was written in France under the occupation( in 1942) and was set as france was overrun by Gernam army. the first half is a gripping description of people trying to get away from paris a mass exodus with the roads clogged with people fleeing with cars/ carts ,baggage and then abandoning them. The author died in Autchwitz.  

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 11:53
No worries on the Soap Box HD, will enjoy the debate, as Finno says, over a couple of lemonades, one of the days.
Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:23
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Hey HD dont hang back now just come right out and say wot you think !!!!

Ok have not read Robert Fisk so cant give an opinion will check him out though

hehehehe!! Do ya think?

Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:26
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

No worries on the Soap Box HD, will enjoy the debate, as Finno says, over a couple of lemonades, one of the days.

Oh yeah...defo...just one thing tho...

Forget the lemonades...can't have a proper debate over non alcoholic substances..hehehe!!

All the fun debates are drink fueled and passionate...

So plenty of the blackstuff and whiskey....yee haaar!!
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:34
Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

Hayseed we must have a chat.

Sure thing. Those two books seem well worth checking out. Especially the Darwin book. Am fascinated with the whole genesis of the theory of evolution and it's conflict with popular religious belief.

I find books on the Holocaust extremely difficult to read though..have read quite a few...and they always leave me feeling angry and depressed that human beings are capable of such cruelty and savagery.

On a lighter note, I have a book on the life of the great Brazilian footballer Garrincha which I haven't got around to reading yet....but it looks fascinating...so gonna have to get dug into it soon.

Would also like to find a good book on the life of Bobby Darin...(and no..haven't seen the movie yet). I saw a documentary on his life on the Biography channel about 2 years ago and it was amazing. If a Hollywood scriptwriter had written it it would be laughed out of every book publishers in town it was so unbelievable.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 13:51

Yeah HD,  my two favourite topics for reading material over the years have been The Holocaust and the Northern " Troubles."

Jaysis must've read everything ( obviously open to correction here ) ever written on the North up to two or three years ago. In fact, my first encounter with Fisk was his book on the UWC Strike in the early seventies.

Nowadays give me a well written Biography any time. Can recommend Paul McGrath's bio, " Back From The Brink."

’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 14:56

I have a whole wardrobe full of books at home that Bluebell keeps threatening to throw out someday when I'm not there...but so far she hasn't on pain of divorce..hehehe!!

Of course every now and then I have to do a bit of trimming and give a few books to the local bring and buy sale...but I hate parting with them..there is something magical about a book and the memories it can hold.

I remember the first book that made a really strong impression on me was Alex Haley's "Roots"...which subsequently turned out to be almost a complete fabrication..although the stories were based on genuine family history...it just wasn't his family history but an amalgamation of stories he'd picked up from people he'd interviewed.

I'm sure there's a good book in the story of the writing of the book
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 17:54
Robert Fisk wrote a book a number of years ago on the "Emergency" aka ww2 to the rest of the world very good
A man must have a code
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 19:14

Heard Paul McGrath do an interview the other week seems like book has full story warts and all as they say .

Must put it on my christmas list

Blondie
Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2006 at 22:31

Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Any and all of David Gemmel books

Do you know, Blondie, that DG sadly passed away earlier this year.  Very sad.  RIP David Gemmell.

Just started to read his Troy trilogy of Troy books cant  believe be's gone did he finish third one ?????????????

As far as I know he only finished the 2nd one in the trilogy....if anyone knows otherwise please let me know!!!

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 00:09
I reckon I get the best value out of a book...cos it takes me around 6 months to read a book. I hate reading during the day so I only read at night, but I'm so tired then that I read about 3 pages and I fall asleep  ...I do love reading though, but the books I read are "mushey love stories"....the last book I read was "temptation" by Anne Dillion, great book....well I thought so 
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 07:17
Originally posted by Esthalon Esthalon wrote:

Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Any and all of David Gemmel books

Do you know, Blondie, that DG sadly passed away earlier this year.  Very sad.  RIP David Gemmell.

Just started to read his Troy trilogy of Troy books cant  believe be's gone did he finish third one ?????????????

As far as I know he only finished the 2nd one in the trilogy....if anyone knows otherwise please let me know!!!

Was wondering that myself just finished the second one which was fantastic as usual .

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 10:48

Heard Paul McGrath do an interview the other week seems like book has full story warts and all as they say .

Must put it on my christmas list

Defo Blondie. For me Ooh Aah Paul McGrath was the second best player ever to play for Ireland and to read this book just makes you wonder how he ever managed to get his boots on, let alone perform the way he did for so long.

Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 15:10

Yeh Rolo decided to treat myself in Hughes and Hughes omnio today.

For anyone who is interested hes signing his book there on 8th of December.

Also had a chat with guy there re Gemmel he reckons third book was finished and will dhortly be available

Blondie
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 23:18
Neil Gaiman is an interesting writer novels and graphic novels.
A man must have a code
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2006 at 22:38

Reading "1215 the Year of Magna Carta" Its basically a snapshot of life in that year

"Have you forgotten Magna Carta? Did she die in vain?" - Tony Hancock

A man must have a code
LORRI View Drop Down
83-86

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LORRI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2006 at 23:01
 "I Know this much is true" by Wally Lamb is a really good story
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-December-2006 at 23:03
never heard of him what sort of books does he write?
A man must have a code
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 40>