Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BOOKS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BOOKS
    Posted: 24-November-2006 at 14:30
I thought I might start a new topic with this subject. What can be included here are books you have read and enjoyed, your favourite book, books that moved you (at a stretch this could be guide books!) books that you would recommend. Any genre, I think you get the idea.
- I've got this far but where to start?
I first read Lord of the Rings in 1976 and cannot remember how many imes i have reread it since (suffice to say with wear and tear and move on my third edition.
At random
Marie Antoinnette by Antonia Fraser. A historian who writes in a clear but enjoyable style (some historians  are too dry
Middlesex by  J Eugenides great novel
Caeser Chronicles By Coleen McCullagh (Approx. 7 novels charting the life of Gauis Julius Caesar)
Riotous assembly and Indecent Exposure by Tom Sharpe 2 of the funniest books I have read

Edited by finno
A man must have a code
Sponsored Links

Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 16:16

Oh cool thread Finno..now why didn't I think of this...? hehehe!!!

Gotta head home now..but will think about it and post an exceedingly long post later...

I LOOOVE to read!!
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 17:35
I never go anywhere without a book. My wife and kids are also great readers. It used to be if my wife was buying a handbag ( I hear echoes of Lady Bracknell!) in our pre-car days it had to be capable of containing a book plus a fold up umbrella and then a few bits and bobs.

Look forward to your list
A man must have a code
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 18:29

Ok books dont know where to start so heres a few that spring to mind

Pride and Prejudice Austin

Diary of Anne Frank

LOTR's

Chocolate Joanne harris

Fortunes Rock  Anita Shreeve

Fingersmith Sarh waters

Kite Runner  Khaled hosseini

Any and all of David Gemmel books

God could go on forever

Blondie
I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it !
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 19:18
Originally posted by Blondie Blondie wrote:

Do you know, Blondie, that DG sadly passed away earlier this year.  Very sad.  RIP David Gemmell.

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 19:25

Like you Finno, I have read and re-read LOTR from cover to cover many times.  Being into the Fantasy Genre in general, I like stuff by David Gemmell, Jack Vance, Michael Moorcock, Piers Anthony, Terry Pratchett but my favourite books are the "Game of Thrones" series by George RR Martin - just couldnt put any of the series down (and I really mean that) - amazing books....

Edited by Brunswick
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 21:05
Blondie,
Pride & Prejudice but also really liked Persuasion. Also like Joanne Harris  "Five quarters of the Orange" - when I was buying this and had to ask a sales assistant had they got it got a snotty response "Dont be ridiculous you can only have four quarters!"
Ive read some of David Gemmills, love Terry Pratchett - nothing short of a genius
Read Anne Frank when I was young didnt do much for me as a book.
Haven't read the rest.
Mel as regards fantasy ive read Tolkein as you know, Terry Goodkind, Robert Jordan (although at this point book 12 or is it 13 i think he is taking the piss its just too long drawn out at this point), Stephen Donaldson  (Chronicles of Thomas Covenent thought the final one , the sixth tied up all loose ends better than any other. now stopping to draw breath!

A man must have a code
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 23:48

Finno, lost interest in Robert Jordans "Wheel of Time" after about book 9 although it was enjoyable (mostly) until then..maybe he is tied to a set number of books with his publisher..? 

Allow me to recommend a book I was loaned by a friend - its called "The blade itself" by Joe Abercrombie.  I'm really enjoying it, I must say - check it out if you're looking for a good read...

’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 02:22

Okay..well..where to start..

Favourite authors... Anne Rice..probably my all time favourite..have all of her books ..even the latest gone religious on us tome...Tolkien...likewise have read and re-read LOTR several times..Charles Dickens,...favourite is Great Expectations...Isaac Asimov..my very favourite Sci-fi and Sci-fact writer..Virginia Woolf...fell in love with her novel Mrs Dalloway after watching the movie The Hours...then read several more of her books and a brilliant biography written by her nephew....

Modern writers I like tend to be Crime and thrillers...Jonathon Kellerman..John Connolly (one of our own)...Patricia Cornwell...Val McDermid...

I do tend to read more factual books than novels these days...particular favourite is Robert Fisk..The Great War for Civilisation is a fantastic book...I like to read historically based books...have read a lot of books on the Vietnam conflict and American civil rights history..plus our own history..like science based books too...particularly anything dealing with genetics and evolution at the moment..

Right now I'm interested in photography so am reading several books on that subject...

Anyway..is late..and I've babbled enough...if I think of more I'll post tomorrow....
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 12:42
Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Do you know, Blondie, that DG sadly passed away earlier this year.  Very sad.  RIP David Gemmell.

God no I didnt Bruns jesus thats awful.

Blondie
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 12:46

Yeh Bruns and Finno agree about Wheel of time by Jordan think i gave up at book 8 or 9 started to get boring then.

If going to talk classice wot you think of

Wuthering Heights

Lorna Doone

Women In Love

??????????????

Blondie
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 12:48

Havent read many factual book though love anything to do with Arthurian legends.

Went to Tintagnel in Crornwell really magical place.

Mainly autobiographies

Blondie
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 13:21

What's the most interesting Bio or autobio you've read Blondie?

Think mine would probably be In Memory Yet Green..Isaac Asimov..(had to get it second hand from Amazon..First Edition too...is long out of print). It's the first volume of his Autobiography..can't get my hands on the second one...least not for a half decent price..

Probably my other favourite would be Virginia Woolf: A Biography  by Quentin Bell...who was her nephew...and features in the film The Hours if anyone's seen it..he was one of the two little boys who comes to visit with Virginia's sister.

Anyway..it really is a great read if you ever come across it.

I like Biographies like yourself Blondie..and love the Biography Channel on Sky...

Edited by Hayseed Dixie
Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 14:22

Current books to be read.

1. Rose Coloured Thistle by Lerato Mokone (Muller's lovely wife).

2. Cycling Around Dublin by Jim Brady (a loan from Muller)

3. Pandemic by James Barrington

Just haven't had time recently to read these but will soon.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 19:13
I've just started the Robert Fisk and am enjoying it. I think he is the No. 1 journalist  fantastic writer inciteful articles.

Read "An Evil Cradling"  by Brian Keenan, of all the books about hostages this was the most moving.
A man must have a code
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 20:25

Hd mostly people interested in Bob Dylan Billy Connolly JFK Martin Luther god will hav to check book shelfs.

Would be interested in Virginia Woolf book and the movie must put it on my list.

DH Lawrence would be on my book shelves too hav to be honest never without a book if bstuck will read cornflake box !!!!!!!!!

Blondie
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 12:59

Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

I've just started the Robert Fisk and am enjoying it. I think he is the No. 1 journalist  fantastic writer inciteful articles.

Think he's very biased in his writing Finno.

Read the big book on hols this summer and was struck by his very strong Pro Palestinian bias.

I'm not gonna start to argue the pros and cons of the great debate here, as obviously everyone has their own opinions on the subject. Just the stuff was very one sided.

Esthalon View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86 - 90

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Esthalon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 15:34

Where to start....

Definitely LOTR....it's so far ahead it hardly seems fair to compare anything else to it.

P&P Jane Austen (Love all her stuff but I'm potty about P&P....be warned DO NOT get me started)

Huge Gemmell Fan so anything by him. Can't believe I'll have to content myself with his 30 odd books....He was just in his prime as a writer.

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for Breakfast!
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 17:19
Rolo, He may seem to be a bit biased but when he's practically the only one giving the view from the other side. Not a topic for here I agree but over a pint some time.

Some other books:
The Diaries of Victor Klemperer. Survived the war living in Dresden as a jew.
Anything By Carl Hiaasen

A man must have a code
Blondie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
1978 - 1981 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blondie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2006 at 20:55
Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Just started to read his Troy trilogy of Troy books cant  believe be's gone did he finish third one ?????????????

Blondie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>