Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Grove Documentary Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Grove documentary - the music

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-November-2007 at 21:06

Met Aries this evening and I gave him a copy that he intends making more copies of.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2008 at 21:11

The webcast debate was discussing that the doc be shown again.

If I remember Joe Mc Elwaine (director) telling me that the viewing figures were somewhere near 200,000, correct me if I'm wrong Joe, I know I have the figure in some forum.

And I met a guy this week who I was working in Aer Lingus and had'nt seen him in 9 years and the first thing he talked about was the doc.

And the reaction I got and from what others told me, the general opinion was that is was a classic piece of TV.

So why not show it again.

It's not like RTE have so much classic material to fill their programme schedule.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
muller View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2008 at 11:07
I agree Pat. We should all commit to e-mailing RTE to rebroadcast the show and our Webcast as well. I started watching the RTE2 movie last night - a local production called Goldfish Memory or something like that. I just didn't get it and switched off.
Life is for living
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2008 at 20:39
I cant see why RTE shouldnt show the doc. again.  I'm sure there are many who havent seen it, Sky + it or recorded it in some form.  I know it's a Dublin thing, so to speak, but if Pat's/Joe's figures are correct then why not show it again??  I'm gonna e-mail 'em anyway.
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 22:40

Bruns,

It was actually near 290,000 people who watched it.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2008 at 22:47
Wow!  Thats pretty impressive alright, Pat!
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-June-2008 at 23:13

See response below from RTE

Dear Pat

Thank you for your request which will be logged for circulation to the senior Editorial Team.

Your interest in RTÉ output is appreciated.

Kind Regards

Brigitte Murphy
RTÉ Information-Communications

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
maryi View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
74-80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 20:40

Pat,

that is fantastic - could you post the email address you sent it to?  So we can all send to the same one.

thanks

mary
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-June-2008 at 21:53

info@rte.ie

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShawnRaven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShawnRaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2008 at 01:58
Just curious on if there was ever any update on this?
"I don't need this, I'm not even supposed to be here today!"
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2009 at 18:38

This is Bitch, the band whose single, "Good Time Coming", I played on the documentary.

Originally called "The Clevedonaires", from Clevedon just south of Auckland, New Zealand they came to UK in 1971.

Line up Graham Brown, Rob Aicken, Gaye Brown, Ron Brown. The Browns were all related, two brothers and Gaye the sister.

"Good Time Coming" was not a commercial success which makes it all the more amazing that Cecil had their record and played it and that I heard it and got it eventually and that it ended up on the documentary.

So if I'm ever in Clevedon, I expect a couple of free beers

p.s thanks to Derek Farrell for the pic

Edited by Biker Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2009 at 14:39

We put on the Doc last night with a glass of wine...what a fab show. It has Jackie,Kay,our own Crusty,a shot of Hayseed, oh,and some fellah with a bike... (  )

It has a great shot with Tonto's brother,Dave,showing Cecil his original Grove pass.

It's very hard to keep up with the soundtrack sometimes. When the intro to a tune comes on,no sooner do you remember it then anothe starts. Tune after tune,memory after memory,each one a true (as Cecil puts it) 'Grove song'.

Was a great evenings viewing,but leaves you a little sad,only because you immediatley want to be transported to a re-union,or back to the real thing twenty odd years ago.

A fitting but slightly final little twist at the very end after the credits is where Cecil slides closed one of his famous singles boxes,as if sadly never to be opened again.

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-July-2009 at 18:56
Originally posted by Floyd Floyd wrote:

Was a great evenings viewing,but leaves you a little sad,only because you immediatley want to be transported to a re-union,or back to the real thing twenty odd years ago.

A fitting but slightly final little twist at the very end after the credits is where Cecil slides closed one of his famous singles boxes,as if sadly never to be opened again.

I guess Cecil did really close those boxes in 1997 thinking they would remain shut. But the wonderful thing is that he continues to play those songs at reunions and we can all get together to celebrate on a reasonably regular basis. Plus the Grove finally got the recognition it deserved through the documentary and subsequently by 32a, DJing on Phantom FM and general interest in the website. So the spirit of 67-97 lives on.

Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
Aries View Drop Down
70’s ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2009 at 13:54

Well said Sister

Hear hear

THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE
BUT IT'LL PISS YOU OFF FIRST
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-August-2009 at 23:41

Yes-hear,hear,hear.

And Pat-any similarities to the vocals on Good Time Comin to CCR being the reason you liked the song??? Think it's a ringer for early Fogarty...

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-August-2009 at 11:15
Originally posted by Floyd Floyd wrote:

Yes-hear,hear,hear.

And Pat-any similarities to the vocals on Good Time Comin to CCR being the reason you liked the song??? Think it's a ringer for early Fogarty...

Martin,

I think you're right Floyd but the riff really got me and stuck in my head for years.

Pat

Edited by Biker Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2010 at 22:35

Had a friend who's home from Germany who came to visit last night-we showed her the doc and as SOON as Bitch came on she said-'Oh-thats CCR!!!'

I laughed out loud just as Pat came into the picture strumming beside the stereo!

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2010 at 11:51

Floyd,

Resemblance to CCR but not a conscious comparison to CCR when i first heard it in the Grove.

I just love the riff

Pat

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345