Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What Album are you listening to most at the moment

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 150>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 23:21
I told ya I had fond memories of that song
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 23:23
Originally posted by star star wrote:

It was played alot, maybe that's why? I'd say all the lads loved it though, their chance for a feel!

LOL Star...........

A feel to Black Betty.

Give me a slow song like "Whiter Shade Of Pale" and now we're talking serious feeling
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 00:18
Originally posted by LORRI LORRI wrote:

Yeah Pat, I have often had the strangest compilation cds.  With some songs it is just the memories attached to it.

Curious, any particular song evoke a particular memory?

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 09:17

Originally posted by star star wrote:

It was played alot, maybe that's why? I'd say all the lads loved it though, their chance for a feel!

LOL Star,ya mad thing a_smil17a_smil17.

Lorri, with you on the Foreigner thing. Just don't get it. Always hated " Urgent " and "Waiting or a Girl like You ".

Pat, that Heads song on your compilation " Life During Wartime " is one of my all time favourites.

As for " Rock and Roll ", legend, particularly on The Song Remains the Same at the start of the show.

Rolo.

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 09:42

Originally posted by LORRI LORRI wrote:

Sorry Star but it always made me feel sick. 

Was that anything to do with that feeling of dread when the slow sets started, if you weren't "going out with/shifting" someone or jsut particular to the song?

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
finno View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
�77 to 82ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 10:49
Originally posted by Brunswick Brunswick wrote:

Finno,

Where did ya get that CD from?? Is it still on sale out there?  Not big into CDs myself but I'd make an exception for that one. 

Think I got it in Record shop in Kilkenny. I came accross it by chance.

Just tried searching online but appears to be available only secondhand online on amazon.

While looking, came accross the "top of the pops" compilations from the 70's. these were cheap to buy as they were cover versions anyone remember them? (they used to sell them in Woolworths - another blast from the past!)

A man must have a code
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 11:50
Originally posted by finno finno wrote:

[QUOTE=Brunswick]

While looking, came accross the "top of the pops" compilations from the 70's. these were cheap to buy as they were cover versions anyone remember them? (they used to sell them in Woolworths - another blast from the past!)

Despite my relatively tender years(!) I do remember these.  My brother bought a few and i inherited the vinyl collection when the gaff was sold a few years back.  Nothing very good in it unfortunately, Boney M and the Top of the Pops records......!

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 11:53

Hi Finno, yeah, remember them...............only 'cos Sharon told me about them on another thread somewhere, swear.

Didn't they always have pictures of supposedly attractive looking girls on the sleeve.

Rolo.

Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 11:57
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Didn't they always have pictures of supposedly attractive looking girls on the sleeve.

Rolo.

supposedly attractive looking girls - yes falling out of skimpy bikini tops in the couple I have.............filth, pure filth.

-Ancient Proverb.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 13:37

Pat, that Heads song on your compilation " Life During Wartime " is one of my all time favourites.

My favourite Heads song.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 13:40

Pat, one of my biggest regrets is that I never got to see Talking Heads live. Have seen David Byrne solo a few times and he does a few Heads songs in his set ( that one included ).

You going to Quo in October or whenever ?

Edited by Rolo
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 13:44

Pat, one of my biggest regrets is that I never got to see Talking Heads live. Have seen David Byrne solo a few times and he does a few Heads songs in his set ( that one included ).

You going to Quo in October or whenever ?

Rolo, not decided re Quo yet.

I think they're great live but with the hols on the horizon I need to watch the Bob Dylan's

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 13:48

Never seen them Pat .

D'ya think they'd be worth a look ?

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 14:11

Never seen them Pat .

D'ya think they'd be worth a look ?

Deffo..don't know how much the tickets are. If you like Quo's music they are really good live. I've seen them so many times and have never been disappointed.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 14:55

I saw them a few years back in the Point...but have to admit..was only cos I got freebies.

I used to be a big Quo fan when I was a teenager..but really..in the last 15-20 years they have just become a joke band in my opinion. The first half of the set was great..they played all the old stuff from Hello and On the Level and Piledriver...but the second half was pure rock and roll cabaret...in the bad sense of the word...

And in my mind...a "rock band" who have barely a slow song in their set list and who's concert is all seated are suspect to say the least..

That's my rant over with....hehehe!!
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
IanL View Drop Down
81-84

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 15:28
Originally posted by Biker Pat Biker Pat wrote:

My favourite Heads song.

Talking heads were probably the first non mainstream
heavy rock/blues bands which I got hooked into as
a result of going to the Grove. Cecil only played
the one song (Psycho Killer ... if I recall) by
them but I got most of their albums on vinyl at
one stage and went regularly in early college years
to the Ambassador where they had these mad
"Stop making sense" showings every Saturday.
The atmosphere was great ... not as sublime as
the Grove but getting there ...
Some mad antics too. Folks jumping on to the
raised stage area in front of the screen and
bouncers stepping in to calm it down a little   
Ian - Grover '81-'84
Exiled to Mayo since 2005
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 15:43

Never made one of those screenings Ian..would have loved to.

One of my favourite bands of all time and like you..have most of their vinyl releases too..tho funnily enough..have never gotten around to getting them on CD.

Think my fave Heads song has to be Once In A Lifetime..and I just LOVEthe video for it..where he dresss up in the overlarge suit and mimics a guy having a nervous breakdown..brilliant.

Plus they gave a name to probably my favourite band ever ..after The Beatles of course...Radiohead...

Nothing more to say on that really
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 15:47

Yep Ian, remember that well. Also remember walking home afterwards with some friends at all hours of the morning.

Fear of Music is one of my favourite albums.Love Life During Wartime as I said, also Cities, Air and Animals from that Album.

Did ya ever get your hands on the other Live Album," The Name of This Band is Talking Heads " ? It's magic too.

’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 15:56

Have that one on Vinyl Rolo...

actually..might just dig out the old turntable and set it up this evening just to play it...you're right..it's a brilliant album...
IanL View Drop Down
81-84

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-September-2006 at 15:58

Did ya ever get your hands on the other Live Album," The Name of This Band is Talking Heads " ? It's magic too.

I did Rolo but I sold it on during some moment of
temporary insanity. Much regretting that now.
I needed the cash for some electronic item or other
and I sold most of my Talking heads vinyl having
taped a few of the good tracks. Since lost the
tapes, of course.

Ian - Grover '81-'84
Exiled to Mayo since 2005
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 150>