The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What school did you go to in Grove years?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>
Author
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-May-2007 at 21:56

Ha Ha! Yeah-Fred was of a nervous diposition alright...stopped teaching anyone past 2nd year.

Remember the woodwork and leatherwork classes on wednesday nights? A true Grover from Chanel (who's name bloody escapes me now) used to run one of them. He was made into collecting bootlegs-had a great Mama's Boys one he lent me once.

Remember John Figin (Fidgin? Figeon? not sure).

Really tall guy,curley hair,always in his black reefer jacket.

I hope I don't cause mayhem saying this if I'm wrong but someone told me he died shortly after the school years?

Ken Costigan-remember him? Always in the combat jacket-real nice bloke.

Yep-probably the best days of our lives even though we didn't think so at the time...

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Sponsored Links

Stoner View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
83-86ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 06:58
Hey Floyd, I was just wondering what year you left Chanel?? I left in '85 after my leaving cert (less said the better).
Impotence; nature's way of saying no hard feelings!
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 18:38

Dim and distant past now,Donal...pretty sure it was '86. (or '87?)

Were you in Gary O'Brien's year/class (Brookwood Rise)?

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
Floxi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-May-2007 at 22:56
Originally posted by irish_mammy irish_mammy wrote:

Just reading this post and noticing a lot of our schools have closed or are closing soon.

Where do the school kids go to secondary now or are there just less of them.

The ol' reliables are still there - Manor House, Holy Faith, St Pauls, Loreto.. but it's interesting to see how the demographics change, for isntance some school is closing in Ballymun coz there arent enough kids going to it, on the other hand you have places like Lucan crying out for schools and parents queing overnight to get their kids places/fundraising to set up schools. 

Drbinoche View Drop Down
95-96ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drbinoche Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 21:44
I attended the wonderful St Josephs in Fairview until 1997. The Grove closed just as I started to really get my feel for the place. I recognised one or two names on these posts as neighbours and that.

Jesus Ive been out of school for a decade........god I feel old now!
Paranoia - You only have to be right once to make it all worthwhile
Black Russian View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 22:14
Originally posted by Drbinoche Drbinoche wrote:

I attended the wonderful St Josephs in Fairview until 1997. The Grove closed just as I started to really get my feel for the place. I recognised one or two names on these posts as neighbours and that.

Jesus Ive been out of school for a decade........god I feel old now!

Oh Shut up I left school in 88 that nearly 2 decades ago

Oh and welcome to the site DrBINOCHE

P

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 22:41
Echo that P! Yer only a young one Drbinoche!! (lucky you!).  Welcome to the site dude!!
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
chi chi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chi chi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-June-2007 at 23:54
I was a Manor farm gal...Anyone remember Miss Slevin...?
Caroloz View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
77- 80

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caroloz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 16:19
I went to Holy Faith Killester, left in 79 I think. Sister Hilary was our principle - Hitler as she was affectionately known!
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 20:44

Oh-why's that Carol??? She had a black moustache under her nose???

Welcome along,DrBinoche...didn't know anyone myself in Joey's but I'm sure someone here will pipe up...

grainne_witch View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’78 -81

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grainne_witch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 21:17
I went to Holy Faith killester too, from 76 to 81. She was called Hitler because she ran the school like a concentration camp!
chi chi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chi chi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 23:14
God  - she must have ben related to Ms Slevin in manor house so.... @pull ur socks up girls@....said in 6 million decibel screeeeeeeeeeeeeeecccccccccchh!!!
cathyd View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

79 - 82

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cathyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 12:50
I went to Mercy (or Virgo Clemens as it was in my day) 1976 to 1981.  Am trying to arrange a reunion for my year so if anyone knows anyone who was in my year, could you let me know
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 13:20

Originally posted by chi chi chi chi wrote:

I was a Manor farm gal...Anyone remember Miss Slevin...?

"Walk on the right hand side of the corridor girls, with your bags on your left hand shoulder"...

"Young lady come back here".....

She was some women!!!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 14:22

Wow Cathy...never went to a school re-union but would love to. (once everyone wouldn't pretentiously 'boast' (or lie) about how well they are doing.

I went to Chanel accross the road from you---we could make it a double???

My sisters went around the same time as you...you might know them-but I couldn't possibly divulge that information here! Have to be via PM's... 

Robbie63 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
80-83

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 15:24
I went to Ārd Scoil La Salle on the Raheny Road between 1975 and 1980. I got expelled about a month before the leaving during a mass expulsion of roughly 70 students.Would they be allowed to do that today?
They let us back in for the exams, but a bunch of us spent a month in St Annes while our parents thought that we were at school.Mine still donīt know to this day.
Robbie     
star View Drop Down
89-92 I think so anyway!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 16:56
I went to Mercy College opp Chanel too. Left in 1990. Hated the place..uggh.
Never Again on a school night! Famous last words
muller View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2007 at 23:42

Originally posted by Robbie63 Robbie63 wrote:

I went to Ārd Scoil La Salle on the Raheny Road between 1975 and 1980. I got expelled about a month before the leaving during a mass expulsion of roughly 70 students.Would they be allowed to do that today?
They let us back in for the exams, but a bunch of us spent a month in St Annes while our parents thought that we were at school.Mine still donīt know to this day.

Nothing to do with school but in a similar vein. A few years ago I got laid off work and hadn't got the nerve to tell L. Each morning I got dressed in my suit and tie and went to town with herself. Spent the day in the internet store sending applications and going for the occasional interview. I got busted when we met some of my former colleagues who asked where i was working? Doh! To be fair, she took it very well and we can now laugh about it.

Life is for living
Evangeline View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
86-88

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evangeline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2007 at 01:23

I went to St Mary's Holy Faith, Killester 82-87. Ironically Sister Hillary left the same year we did. I always found her to be very nice, undeserving of the 'Hitler' tag. Apparantly Sister Cyprian took over and there were no more class reunions after that. I went back there some years ago to a car-boot sale and met Sr Cyprian (sans habit!) and she remembered me and gave me a full tour round the school to show me all the changes that had been made since I left and filled me in on which teachers were still there and which had since retired.

Any other St Mary's girls out there from the same era?

Jen ;->

"Gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"
grainne_witch View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
’78 -81

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grainne_witch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-August-2007 at 08:19
E - I have 5 sisters and there is 17 years in the difference between the eldest and the youngest. When my youngest sister started the first day Sr Hilary was doing the roll call and when she called out her name she said ' Oh my God another Adams! Anymore of you at home? I think it is time I retired!!' She did shortly after that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 14>