Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Slow Sets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Sets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 39>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:53
Jasus you have a better memory than me.  I don't ever remember been turned away except for the 1st night when we had to get Trasa's Dad to get us in - we were no less than 14 just a hair away from 15.  I remember this big tall fella asking me to dance and only coming up to his knee and all his friends laughing. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Sponsored Links

Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:54

Ye that night I thought Joan was going to kill her.I don't think she came down much with us afterthat.Do you remember Mick Nolan and Joe How did we ever thing they were cool Confused

Well we learn from R mistake.................

Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:57
Yeah now that you say it I do, oh I've come a long way since then.  Ah but there were a few nice Artane lads.  Remember them - let's just call one of them Alan?
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:58

R the new year eve that there was a bom scare we only just got in and we all had to leave the hall we couldn't belive it that must have been around 1980 was it........

Kay Fagan
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 17:02
Go and do some work and maybe you will be able to make it home for Christmas  LOL
Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 17:04

I must have drank far too much over the years as I just don't go back that far! If I was there that night I would have been devastated altogether.  I remember one night getting all ready to go and was just about to go out the door when my Dad said "where are you going" - The Grove I said positively - "No your not, said he" and that was it final - said and done - I was never so pissed off in all my life.  Still feeling a little bad about it. Had a hot date that night.. Crushed

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 17:07

Yeah I know - not a bit motivated - it's terrible.  Anyhow it's after 5 now and there's a bottle of beer in the fridge with my name on it so that's where I'm going now.

I'll talk to you soon ok

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 09:22

[QUOTE=eejit91]

Love all the stories girls LOL

That what the forum is about.

If I'm every in Columbus, Ohio I know where to go to get a cold one Wink

Biker Pat

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 09:29
Pat if your ever in Columbus Ohio, look me up and I'll feed you a slurry of them. That conversation you were reading between Kay and myself - well we have not spoken in over 14 years - I met up with her on this web site - how cool eh!  Yes we have had some great fun over the years.  by the way Pat my hubby was an avid biker from the Grove also.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2005 at 09:14

[QUOTE=eejit91]

Way to go Eejit..................he would be a later generation than me I guess.

What's happening in Columbus?

By the way it's great to see you chattin with old pals on the forum.

I bet a lot more friendships and memories will emerge on the forum over time.

After all it's a small woorld.

Biker Pat

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2005 at 09:24

Pat you shared the grove with my sisters, Mary and Bernardine Kelly - although Bernardine was not one for the grove - she went to some dance down by St. Gabriel’s.  I bet my brothers Joe and Gerard were also there at times.  Do you recall a Celine (spelling?) or Sara O Brien?  Breda Fahey maybe - trying to remember the names of their friends. They were Holy Rosary girls back then - the first class ever in the Holy Rosary actually.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2005 at 09:01

[QUOTE=eejit91]

Teresa,

Those names don't ring a bell.

But then again we're going back 33 years. I know a Mary Kelly who I worked with before but she never went to the Grove.

Biker Pat

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2005 at 12:39
What do you mean you don't remember 33 years ago, says she who can remember yesterday.  Your correct - it was a long time ago.  Amazing to think of it!  Anyhow do you remember club 74? I hear talk of that among my siblings but not much out here?

Edited by eejit91
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 08:44

[QUOTE=eejit91]Waht do you mean you don't remember 33 years ago,

I remember 33 years ago alright, it's the names of all the girls I can't remember. So many....................Wink

I wish.....................

Club 74. Don't mean anything either. What is it?

Biker Pat

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 09:26

I have heard of it a few times - I think it was on a Friday night in the new grove location - a disco from what I hear the all the hippies would flood in on Saturday.  Quite the mix...

Stevie View Drop Down
1976-81ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 15:10

I always thought club 74 was the event that was the early format of the Grove, maybe in the Cricket Club or thereabouts or even perhaps Belgrove origionally,

Someone clear this up

StevieConfused

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-November-2005 at 15:42
Stevie my husband went and said it used to be in Pauls on a Friday night, now it's been a while since he told me that.. so I will run it by him again.
Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-November-2005 at 11:56
DIdnt they change the name of the grove to club G for a while, to see if that would work out. dont think it did.
work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
aungier View Drop Down
72-78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aungier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 04:10
>I always thought club 74 was the event that was the early format of >the Grove, maybe in the Cricket Club or thereabouts or even perhaps >Belgrove origionally,

>Someone clear this up

>StevieConfused

Club 74 was held every Friday in St Paul's College, the exact same location as the Grove. It was more disco music and it was definitely not as well run as the Grove. There was alomost always fights there either inside the place ot outside. I saw some with chains and knives inside on the dance floor.

Outside there was also almost always fights. I saw some terrible thing there. Once a gang was chasin 1 guy up the road towards Killester Church and I hope that they would not catch up with him for his sake. The bouncers were useless but also the crowd that came from Donneycarney and other parts who were only looking for trouble.

In the beginning it was trouble free limited to people from a number of schools like Manor House, St Pauls and I don't remember what other schools. I missed it when ti closed down from a musical prospective but the Grove was a very safe place. The people who frequented the Grove were seldom trouble makers.

René

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-March-2006 at 14:50
Originally posted by aungier aungier wrote:

>I always thought club 74 was the event that was the early format of >the Grove, maybe in the Cricket Club or thereabouts or even perhaps >Belgrove origionally,

>Someone clear this up

>StevieConfused

Club 74 was held every Friday in St Paul's College, the exact same location as the Grove. It was more disco music and it was definitely not as well run as the Grove. There was alomost always fights there either inside the place ot outside. I saw some with chains and knives inside on the dance floor.

Outside there was also almost always fights. I saw some terrible thing there. Once a gang was chasin 1 guy up the road towards Killester Church and I hope that they would not catch up with him for his sake. The bouncers were useless but also the crowd that came from Donneycarney and other parts who were only looking for trouble.

In the beginning it was trouble free limited to people from a number of schools like Manor House, St Pauls and I don't remember what other schools. I missed it when ti closed down from a musical prospective but the Grove was a very safe place. The people who frequented the Grove were seldom trouble makers.

René

Rene,

I went to the Grove when it was in Mount Prospect and I can't recall any major hassle. I think the music and the crowd and the DJ.......forget his name Wink just made it work.

I wouldn't go near a disco/club now.........even pubs are mad now with fights etc.. and not just in Dublin.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 39>