Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > The Slow Sets
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Slow Sets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 39>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow Sets
    Posted: 04-May-2005 at 08:21

Ah yeah, one of the great memories from the "old" Grove was a slow set with a lovely blond girl named Pat. Back in '72 it was.

The song was "Jean Genie" and all around were boppin but me and Pat were oblivious to that. We just swopped tongues !! for the whole song.

Way to go Pat, hope you're still rockin in the free world.

Biker Pat

Sponsored Links

aungier View Drop Down
72-78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aungier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2005 at 15:53

There were never enough slow sets at the Grove, that was my only complaint. Otherwise rock on.

René

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2005 at 09:05

Hi Aungier,

I thought there were loads of slow sets. But I remember the girls use to run for cover when the fast set was about to end. You had to hurry sometimes to catch one. Otherwise they hung in groups and you had to fish one out. God, the innocence of it now.

Biker Pat

aungier View Drop Down
72-78

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aungier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-July-2005 at 10:09

There were never more thna 3 slow sets in the night and even then they were relatively short so if you missed one, you were lost.

René

crusty View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
89-93

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crusty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-July-2005 at 20:11
Thank God for the slow sets! What if there were no
slow sets?! How would we have learned in the ways
of the opposite sex? I was shy back then (but then I
discovered Dutch Courage, or was that Autumn
Gold, what ever it was they sold it in cans and it
really helped the cause) I don't think I'd be half the
man I think I am today without the help of The
Eagles, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Judy Tzuke, Hazel O'Connor
and Co.!?
wowo mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wowo mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-July-2005 at 14:18
My first snog ever was during a slow set, god knows what song, with Steven Davidson from Kilbarrack. He had longish greasy hair and I thought he was gorgeous. No tongues!
trazilicious View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trazilicious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-October-2005 at 04:59
God yeah mine too! Oh the memories!! And it was in the hall, at the back in the annexy type place....I was so nervous...bless! Have no idea what the song was though, and I remember I was trying very hard not to laugh! It was probably the poor guys first time too...but god I remember feeling like my lips wer bruised to bits afterwards! GAS! Also didnt help that my girlfriends wer standing right beside us sl*gging me off! Thanks girls.
geraldo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geraldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2005 at 06:15

I am ashamed to say that I was one of the girls that boldly would say No Thanks when a boy asked me to dance. How cruel! but they were usually Geeks that asked and never the boy you fancied.

Sorry to all those lads whose ego's got deflated.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2005 at 15:25

I remember this one guy who would seek one of us out every week for a slow dance to Free Bird or Stair Way to Heaven and he would paste his gonads up against your crotch! He was the most disgusting person ever - we never had the heart to tell to go to hell - I often wondered what ever happened to him - the dirty git!  Probably a flasher in St. Anne's Park now...

LOL... I am cracking up here as now I know this guys name... he was from Howth.... name began with P..... ya feckin eejit ya....LOL

Edited by eejit91
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Eclectic:87-90 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclectic:87-90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2005 at 15:06
Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

I remember this one guy who would seek one of us out every week for a slow dance to Free Bird or Stair Way to Heaven and he would paste his gonads up against your crotch! He was the most disgusting person ever - we never had the heart to tell to go to hell - I often wondered what ever happened to him - the dirty git!  Probably a flasher in St. Anne's Park now...

Interesting! There was always a weird and wonderful range of social interaction during the slow sets. (It was a human zoo I suppose). Some couples would be a Taliban-friendly distance apart. Others would look like host and creature in a scene from "Aliens". Given what allegedly goes on at teenage events nowdays it seems that some things never change.

Breda View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Breda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-November-2005 at 06:25
I got my first hickey in the Grove when I was about 14.  I remember parading around school on the Monday with my neck stuck out so everyone would see it EmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassedEmbarrassed
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:29
I bet that wasn't Manor House Breda!
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:32

I bet you never did any thing like that Wink

Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:35

Hi Ya Kay, Teresa here! Never in me life.  Us Manor House girls had manors alright.  Kay do you remember in 6th year they had those communication studies - there were four subjects and sex ed was one of them - I don't believe anyone ever attended any of the other classes but sex Ed.  LOL we would be jammed in there to learn it from no less a NUN....

Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:37

Ye and look at what she thought us  LOL

Kay Fagan
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:38

I am lucky not to have any girls as they wouldn't be going To Manor House........

But I would have no problem sending them to the Grove

Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:40

No Kidding!!

Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:41

Do you remember all the nights down the park Knacker Drinking before the grove and the night that all the drink was taking of Timmy and he wasn't even drinking.

Or the night that Janette said we had enough and through all the drink away

Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:45

I remember the night all the booze was taken but not Janette throwing all the booze away! Hell no, they were the practicing years I would have leveled her…  Ah those were the days, I am trying to picture us sitting down there now knacker drinking... instead of a nice cozy pub!!!  I am also trying to picture someone taking my drink away - like taking a bone away from a dog!!!!  I ate them..

Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-November-2005 at 16:49

Do you remember lighting the fireligher's and walking up the mile road and getting up to the door and told not 2 night Then going back out side changing coats and trying again in a while and getting into the grove

Kay Fagan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 39>