Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Tribute to Cecil

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-October-2011 at 00:59

Rock 'n Roll I Gave You The Best Years Of My Life - Kevin Johnson

For you Cecil.

You gave us the best years of our life and your life Clap

No Cecil, no Grovers......hand in hand.............rock on.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8t4gdsJfFM

Edited by Biker Pat - 25-October-2014 at 00:55
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2012 at 12:28
Hi folks,
this year marks the 45th year of the Grove when it started in 1967 in Belgrove's football ground......

It's also the 37th year since it burn't down on the 16 May 1975.

The Site is now a housing estate and the entrance to the estate has a curved High wall.
It would be perfect to have an appropiate plaque to commemerate the start of the Grove......... and have Cecil unvail it at a special ceremony. and then a gig at the castle that evening
Just a though Friends ....just a thought
Don Don
Grover from 73(old Grove)

In the year of the bankers and developers
When recession raged across the land
there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2012 at 13:33
Originally posted by DONDON DONDON wrote:

Hi folks,
this year marks the 45th year of the Grove when it started in 1967 in Belgrove's football ground......

It's also the 37th year since it burn't down on the 16 May 1975.

The Site is now a housing estate and the entrance to the estate has a curved High wall.
It would be perfect to have an appropiate plaque to commemerate the start of the Grove......... and have Cecil unvail it at a special ceremony. and then a gig at the castle that evening
Just a though Friends ....just a thought
Don Don

I've envied those who went to Saint Paul's

because they have a physical manifestation

of their time Groving. As Gerry said nothing

remains for those of us who went to "The Psychedelic Shack"

as Biker Pat calls it.

I for one would love to see some small memorial to that special

place.

Well done Gerry.

Edited by monarch - 02-March-2012 at 13:36
There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2012 at 15:25
Well I'm going to give this a go and see what response I get.
I will let everybody know how things pan out over the next few weeks or so.
But first I intend to do a recky tomorrow and see if there is a Management company and have a chat re permission............
It may come to a full stop there and then..but nothing ventured nothing gained
I will take a photo of the wall and see what people think.......
I am approaching this in a tentative way.....and if any GROVERS want to come onboard I would be delighted with their advice and ideas

there were many driven by the hopelessness to set sail for the Americas and Australia
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-March-2012 at 19:08
Make it like the Vietnam Memorial and we can all get our names on it-"DONDON 1956-1971 died in battle at The Grove"...All in All we're JUSTAAHHH!

Post a picture of the wall... we can have a design competition, but make a rule "No funny Cecils"
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2012 at 14:30
Nice one Pogue, good thought.

The builders were called McCabe.They contructed the Grove Lawn estate.There is a plague on the wall stating Mc Cabe builders Grove Lawn 1989.

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2012 at 14:35
This would be a idea.If a replica could carved out of bronze from this photo.It's a very early pic of Cecil doing his thing

DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-March-2012 at 16:25
Hi guys and gals........ would like some comments re idea..
The idea may be good or not a good idea or even not appropiate
But your comments would be welcome none the less.
Gerry

Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-March-2012 at 09:40
I think it's a great idea, Gerry - not sure how the 'locals' living there would feel about it but they may think it's great as well, especially if any ex Grovers live there. Smile
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2012 at 14:12
Think it is a great idea...Thumbs Up
Kay Fagan
DONDON View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
73-77

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DONDON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2012 at 14:15
Thanks Kay,

Sharon View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sharon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-March-2012 at 14:37
Just sitting here reading back on some posts ive missed been a while since ive been on the site..and you know what.............
As much as i love Cecil and only for him we wouldnt have the Grove..but.......without ourselves There would be no Grove either......ive often heard Cecil say the"without you guys......" speech.
so yes great idea a tribute to Cecil but its a tribute to all who have been involved over the Yrs from the man himself down to whoever cleaned the hall after us when we left  after a fantastic grove night

A grove tree planted perhaps in St Annes might be worth thinking about with a plaque on it might be easier than something in a housing estate to get permission to do
All I wanted was chips!!
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 18:34

The Grove Social Club was an Irish alternative discothèque social club started in Clontarf, Dublin, Ireland. It opened in 1967 on Mount Prospect Avenue in Clontarf, in Belgrove Football Club (from which the club got its name). It moved to St. Paul's College, Raheny in 1975 when the old pavilion was burnt down.

The Grove was known as the Northside's (of Dublin, Ireland) original alternative disco, because the music being played there was different from anything being played in any discos in Dublin throughout the whole 30 years of its existence. (e.g. Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Yes, Jackson Browne, Focus, Deep Purple, Wings, Black Sabbath, Steely Dan, Golden Earring, Queen, The Eagles, ZZ Top, The Boomtown Rats, Supertramp, Guns N' Roses, Rory Gallagher, Fleetwood Mac, Stiff Little Fingers, Thin Lizzy, Sex Pistols, Horslips, Roxy Music, Joy Division, UFO, Genesis, U2, Bruce Springsteen, The Ramones, Whitesnake, Simple Minds, The Cure, Metallica, The Cult, Neil Young, Nirvana, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, AC/DC, B52s, Pearl Jam, Talking Heads, plus many others).

Cecil Nolan was the DJ for the whole 30 years at the Grove until it closed in 1997. Cecil influenced the musical taste of three generations of young northside Dubliners, and shaped their record and CD collections as well. The list of Grove alumni that went on to successful careers on radio and TV is truly impressive, and many of Ireland's best known media personalities regularly wax lyrical about their time at the Grove and acknowledge the debt they owe Cecil.

In 2001 Andy Colbert began running Grove tribute nights at The Isaac Butt Venue in Dublin's city centre. In late 2004, he eventually persuaded Cecil Nolan to make guest appearances, hence these tributes became reunions and relocated to The Sheiling Hotel, Raheny. These reunions ran four times a year - Easter, Summer, Hallowe'en and Christmas, until the beginning of redevelopment of the Sheiling Hotel into an apartment building in Spring 2008. The Grove Reunions now happen twice year at Clontarf Castle and attract huge crowds of people who want relive a little bit of their youth, meet old and new friends, and listen to fantastic music.

The spirit of the Grove is also kept alive all year round on the grove social club website (see link below)

A documentary about the Grove was commissioned by Raidió Teilifís Éireann and televised in 2006.

Source : Wikipedia

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2014 at 21:57
Don't they already have a statue of Cecil in St.Anne's?Wink

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-April-2014 at 13:28
That's brill Pogue Clap

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-April-2014 at 10:59
Cool! Thumbs Up
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2014 at 00:48

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2018 at 15:01
Just reading through all the posts here. Touching stuff, I wouldn't possibly attempt to add to it, everything I feel about the Grove, Cecil, the "groovy grovers" has already been eloquently said here...

...and that poem by "Noodles". I hope he/she appreciates the talent they have, what I wouldn't give to be able to do that ...

Did anything happen about plaques, trees etc? I assume not ...
One of its legs is both the same
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 14:07
Probably mentioned on an earlier thread, but Cecil also had a long-term second gig as DJ in the Flamingo Club, O'Connell Street on Wednesday nights. Playing the sameGrove sets and despite the mirrored ceiling ball and fist fights it just couldn't capture the Grove atmosphere. The place was filthy, smelly and sweaty and the girls were nasty... sometimes after begging to leave them home they expected you to pay their bus fare. 

My friend Bubbles White asked a girl up once and her reply was –"No, I'm sweating like a pig" ...really charming crowd.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2018 at 14:09
Or Chris Rooney's favourite line  - "Are ya dancing?"...."Yeah"...."Well, give us your seat, my feet are killing me!".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>