Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Members Gig Reviews

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 32>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2007 at 16:11

Kelly I got a Ticket for next Wednesday for REM €120 euro I paid. The guiy had another one to sell  too..

Here the Link to the Camera I have

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/high-zoom/dmc-tz3eb-a/index.htm

"Legal downloads is killing Piracy"

http://www.flickr.com/groups/th
Sponsored Links

Floxi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2007 at 22:24
Great reviews Crustry & Trixie - agree with the pair of you. The audience & atmosphere was a LOT better for The Who the same week, so it does matter! Saw BellX1 yest & Malahide Castle (although absolutely freezing) is a great venue!!
Floxi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floxi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2007 at 22:26
Originally posted by kelly h kelly h wrote:

Fab pics...what camera do u have???... Ok I am sure it was ur skill that came into play Pete...but am interested...

That's called a "proper digital camera" & using the zoom in - doh!!!!!!!!!!

muller View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-July-2007 at 12:48
Not a gig review but I have to share this with you. L was going out on the p*** last Friday, I mean to a social event at work. So rather than go home to an empty house I decided to take an early Friday and go to the cinema. I watched "la vie en rose" at the Screen. What a great movie - €7 was great value. After watching some of the crap that passes for a movie these days it was breath of fresh air. However, bring your tissues. It is a bit of a weepie. Can't wait to get the soundtrack.
Life is for living
Black Russian View Drop Down
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 11:48
Ozzy Osbourne review

EXCELLENT SHOW. To be honest I didn't know what to expect of Ozzy with the whole "The Osbourne" show on MTV. It was the hardest rawist and heaviest rock show I have been at in a long time. Forget about the MTV show ever existed and you will go to a great Heavy Rock show. I have to admit I didn't know a lot of his solo stuff even though I have a lot of it here on my MP3. To be honest I never really got into Ozzy solo stuff other than "Crazy Train" and one or two songs.

Before Ozzy came on he was chanting and getting the crowd going. He came on stage on from the start he got the crowd going. There was plenty of aging rockers and rock chicks and plenty of young up and coming "Rockers" .  Songs played that I recognized were No more Tears, Road to Nowhere, and great version of Suicide Solution and duet with the crowd for "Mama I'm coming home".

He asked the audience "DO YOU WANT A "F**king Black Sabbath song" and played a great version of "War Pigs"  and crowd went mental and I even put the camera away to do some headbanging.
For the Encores he Ozzy got the crowd to chant for "One More song" I wanted 5 more more but I don't think he could hear me. He played "Crazy Train" and ended with "Paranoid" to great songs and the neck is a bit stiff from just those two songs.

Have to say it was the Heaviest and the sweatiest gig I have been at in years. (Like a good Grove night if you know what I mean)

P

Deadman Rocking

Edited by Black Russian

Sister1 View Drop Down
88-91

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sister1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 13:51

Black Russian,

Went to see Ozzy myself last night. Highlights were definitely 'Crazy Train', 'War Pigs' and of course 'Paranoid'. Would be familiar enough with his solo stuff and agree about 'Suicide Solution'. The only thing was he sang opener 'Bark at the Moon' completely out of key. Thankfully it improved after that...

Ozzy is a one off. He must be pushing 60 now, but has clearly lost none of his enthusiam despite years of addiction. I must admit to being uncomfortable with the whole MTV thing - I hate reality TV, but good look to Ozzy.

The best tribute I can say to a gig is that if the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, then its a great sign. I think 'Paranoid' may have done just that. Its 36 years old, but still sounds great after all that time.

Keep it Local, Keep it Near!
whippersnapper View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
85-89

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whippersnapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 15:06
Originally posted by Sister1 Sister1 wrote:

Its 36 years old, but still sounds great after all that time.

Like meself then!

Good reviews guys - thought about going to see Ozzie and just couldn't get round to forcing myself to make a decision, hence didn't go. Starting to look like a bad move based on the reviews.  Wouldn't know much of his solo stuff, but love most of the Sabbath stuff.

How the man keeps going is beyond me - that was probably my big fear that he wouldn't be able to create the atmosphere, but there's life in the auld dog yet seemingly!

I'm searching for that cash I should have saved for the crash
Floyd View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
84 to 89 (ask Tonto)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 22:01

Good reviews guys-nice to see how gigs go that I missed...

BR-knew you'd get good pics-well done.

There are three kinds of people in the world,those who are able to count,and those who can't...
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 00:51
REM gig

GREAT

P

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 10:02
Still got your camera P?!!
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 10:55

I do indeed. Will post the pics in a while

P

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 12:15
R.E.M Live Rehearsal 5 nights at the Olympia

Last time I saw R.E.M was in Slane. Not a big R.EM fan but I like a lot of their stuff. At Slane Michael Stipe hardly talked to the crowd a few words here and there and probably introduced the next song and that was about it, last night he was full of chat and laughing and joking with audience.

This was my first time at a gig in the Olympia and I was surprised at how small and intimate a venue it is. It was fab. Before REM came on there was a support act who name eludes me now(Wasn't really that interested in them).

Before R.E.M came on the words "THIS IS NOT A SHOW" was projected on to the stage backdrop. R.E.M came on stage and Mike Mills announce that This is not a show and the crowd just laughed. Michael Stipe thank everyone for coming and explained why they were here playing the Olympia. They wanted to "get out of the studio and practice some new songs in front of a live crowd and where better to do it than the Olympia Theatre in Dublin" he also promise that "They will play 11 new songs but will play some old songs that they haven't played in 15-20 years live"
I didn't know any of the new songs that they played and worse I didn't even know any of the old songs they were old album tracks of their first few albums.
From the start they rocked. The new songs sound really really good live and were very rock orientated like old R.E.M. Michael Stipe had his laptop with his lyrics on it and some sheets paper with lyrics. While he was singing and performing he was writing down changes and adding notes to his lyrics. During the set Stipe would start talking about the older songs that they started to rediscover and the meaning of the lyrics behind them now and some songs that didn't have any meaning behind them.
Overall I have to say it was a great gig enjoyed by the crowd and the band seem to enjoy it to. I think it might have  converted me to a fully pledged R.E.M fan

Click Here for Photos

Edited by Black Russian

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 12:21
Brill review Peter, sounds similar to Saturday.  great pics too.
We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 12:26
Thanks X
I think there are tickets on sale at 4pm today for tonights show too. I am so tempted to go

P

chi chi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chi chi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 17:10

Pete- great pics.....

sounds like Stipey was in fine form.. was also at Slane and agreed with u on all counts...

verh View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 20:57

Great Pics & Reviews - Have to say chap from REM looks a hell of a lot better than poor old OZZY.  Well done

V

Verona
chi chi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chi chi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-July-2007 at 23:28

BR

Did u go to rem again...?

86-92 and Still going

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Russian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2007 at 01:29
No I didn't went to see Die Hard though... Anyone want a review of that ???

P

Trixie View Drop Down
Really Senior Member
Really Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2007 at 09:18
go on....am looking forward to see if its any good or not...heard conflicting reviews so far in the mags!!!
softlad View Drop Down
88 - still rockin’ hard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2007 at 20:08
Originally posted by whippersnapper whippersnapper wrote:

Originally posted by Sister1 Sister1 wrote:

Its 36 years old, but still sounds great after all that time.

Like meself then!

Good reviews guys - thought about going to see Ozzie and just couldn't get round to forcing myself to make a decision, hence didn't go. Starting to look like a bad move based on the reviews.  Wouldn't know much of his solo stuff, but love most of the Sabbath stuff.

How the man keeps going is beyond me - that was probably my big fear that he wouldn't be able to create the atmosphere, but there's life in the auld dog yet seemingly!

just for anyone that missed Ozzy here's a little clip to keep ya going.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=dfKKVCZTa9Q

softlad

"remember if you wanna get aHEAD you gotta give a little"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 32>