Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Memory Lane
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When you stopped going to the Grove?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When you stopped going to the Grove?
    Posted: 07-July-2018 at 20:05
Hi lads and lassies,

I don't know about you, but I didn't know what to do with my Saturday (and Sunday) nights after I stopped going to the Grove - it was such a regular part of my social life for about 5 years, from the late 70s into the mid-80s. I was probably a bit unfair on other venues I went to, but they just couldn't measure up to the Grove, so I didn't take to them.

What did you do, after you left the Grove?

Cheers,

Mel.

Edited by Vinyl Junkie - 08-July-2018 at 21:32
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-July-2018 at 22:16
Mel,

I stopped going to the Grove shortly before it burnt down.

I never went back to the Grove after that for a number of reasons.

1. St Pauls could never replace the Mount Prospect Grove in my heart.
2. Besides that I had moved away from Celtic Park and was too far away to attend the Grove even if I wanted to.
3. I never attended another disco because I knew the music could never live up to what I heard in the Grove. The odd disco I went to on a birthday or whatever played complete sh*te crap and I could never wait to get out of the place.
4. I started building up my own music collection, both singles and albums, and didn't feel the need to go out to hear music as I had all I wanted at home. Of course I went to concerts and local gigs.
5. Having built up my singles collection, I bought 100's of singles from a former DJ, I became a DJ myself using the Cecil model, less talk more music. Did that on and off for a few years. Loved it.

So that's my story Mel.

Rock on,

BP 

Edited by Biker Pat - 08-July-2018 at 21:22
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 21:11
Cool, Pat. On a related note, I've lost track of the amount of weddings I have been to and the music at the reception has been pure garbage. Our wedding was different and we had the band "Loose Change" play at it - I think I may have mentioned this on here before? Almost every track from the lads was a Grove tune, from both Mt. Prospect and St. Pauls. I think people were genuinely stunned (in a nice way) hearing, for example, "Teenage Kicks" at a wedding reception.
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 21:21
Jaysus VJ,

What a great band to have at your wedding Thumbs Up

BP
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 23:07
VJ/BP - I knew most all of the lads in Loose Change I think ... Gary Dixon on guitar, Wes on vocals, guy called Paul Flynn was involved for a while I think. Can't remember the drummer. Excellent band.

I am also a long-standing mate of Brian Kennedy (not that one!), who's brother Ger Kennedy played guitar with Stryder. Myself and Brian played many and manysthe gig together in different bands, and we formed a band with Ger as well (long after Stryder for a while ...

2 degrees of separation in Ireland, not 6
One of its legs is both the same

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-July-2018 at 23:10
After I stopped the Grove (it was gone to Pauls, not the same, I reckoned I was too old then anyway), I didnt try substitute any other dance etc for it. I was working away full-time, playing in different cover bands etc., and the pub just took over as meeting place. Nothing strange or unusual there I guess...
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2018 at 14:17
Ah, remember Stryder alright.  Was the song "Forcin' through" by them?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2018 at 14:26
To be honest VJ, I couldn't tell you. I think I might have seen them once but don't really remember the gig that well. I do remember they were very good musicians, Ger and the other lead guitarist really knew their stuff. As I said earlier, I was in a blues/rock band with Ger for a while. He was one of the most "naturally" talented guitarists I've come across, he just had to pick up the guitar and it would just seem to ask him what he wanted - searing heavy-metal solo, cup of tea, whatever - and the guitar would just respond! Plus Ger another of those incredibly talented musicians who was a really nice, decent guy. I remember playing some blues thing in that band with him, I stopped concentrating for a minute and starting playing the drums kinda 3/4 instead of the 4/4 it should have been - this in the middle of the song. Ger just picked up on it straight away, adjusted slightly, and the band followed suit. I was waiting to get the hole kicked off me after the gig but he never said a word! A sound guy ...

Edited by Rahenyrhythm - 09-July-2018 at 14:31
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2018 at 12:27
I went to the Cricket a couple of times post Grove,couldnt take to the music at all...ended up in Fibber McGees,and various other rock bars around town,which most of are gone now...Mc Gonagles,the William Tell for example
upon us all,a little rain must fall

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-August-2018 at 13:01
I went McGonagles few times, also went to the Cricket a few times in between going to the Grove (traitor - I know ), just to see what it was like. One night myself and the brother were in the Cricket, both with couple bevvies on us. At one stage, dunno why, there was nobody behind the bar. Myself and Col stepped in behind and started taking orders from people - now we didn't touch the taps or anything. We thought this was the funniest thing ever. They didn't throw us out either, decent of them

Also went a few times to a rock place in town - Zeroes - it was owned by Ollie Byrne I think. Saw the Bell and Brush band there. It was the dingiest kip I was ever in, but went on late, I think you could get a drink there, not certain though. Walked home to Raheny from there a few nights...
 Post Reply Post Reply