The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 53>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2018 at 22:19
Nice one BP - good band, great singer/voice ...
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 08:14
May 29th: On this Day

1942, Bing Crosby recorded the Irving Berlin song 'White Christmas'. Crosby recorded the song with the John Scott Trotter Orchestra and the Ken Darby Singers in just 18 minutes. According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the version sung by Bing Crosby is the best-selling single of all time, with estimated sales in excess of 50 million copies worldwide.

1961, Ricky Nelson started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Travellin' Man'. Sam Cooke turned the song down, the B-side was the Gene Pitney song 'Hello Mary Lou' which became a double A side UK No.1.

1962, Chubby Checker won a Grammy Award for Best Rock and Roll Recording for ‘Let's Twist Again’ and Ray Charles won Best Rhythm & Blues Recording for ‘Hit The Road Jack’.

1965, Bob Dylan's album Bringing It All Back Home was at No.1 on the UK charts, his second UK No.1 album. The black and white pamphlet lying across the Time magazine with President Lyndon B. Johnson on the cover is a publication of the Earth Society, who saw its mission as protecting earth from collisions with comets and planets.

1965, The Beach Boys started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Help Me Rhonda', the group's second US No.1. The recording session was interrupted by the Wilson brothers' drunken father, Murry, who arrived at the studio to criticize the Boys enthusiasm. The recording reel continued to record the confrontation, which still circulates among fans.

1967, The Move, Cream, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, Zoot Money, Geno Washington and The Ram Jam Band all appeared at the Tulip Bulb Auction Hall in Spalding, Lincoln, England. Pink Floyd were only a support band and played in a corner of the shed with a white sheet behind them with the coloured oil shining onto it. Tickets cost £1 ($1.70). The poster advertising the show promised a 'Knockout Atmosphere'.

1969, Crosby, Stills & Nash released their self-titled debut on Atlantic Records label. It spawned two Top 40 hits: 'Marrakesh Express' and 'Suite: Judy Blue Eyes'.

1971, The Rolling Stones started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Brown Sugar', from Sticky Fingers. The first single released on Rolling Stones Records, it was the bands sixth US No.1, and a No.2 hit in the UK. The songs lyrics, which are essentially a pastiche of a number of taboo subjects, include: interracial sex, cunnilingus, slave rape, and less distinctly, sadomasochism, lost virginity, and heroin.

1971, Three dozen Grateful Dead fans were treated for hallucinations caused by LSD after they unwittingly drank spiked apple juice served at a gig at San Francisco's Winterland.

1977, Manchester band Warsaw, (later to become Joy Division) made their live debut supporting The Buzzcocks at The Electric Circus, Manchester, England.

1983, US school boy band (which included Bobby Brown), New Edition were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Candy Girl'. Songwriter & producer Maurice Starr discovered New Edition performing at a local talent show. Starr went on to produce and write for New Kids On The Block.

1991, After just completing the recording of the 'Nevermind' album, Nirvana played a last-minute show at the Jabberjaw in Los Angeles. In the audience was Iggy Pop, Dave Grohl's girlfriend and L7 bassist Jennifer Finch who brought along her best friend Courtney Love.

1992, Concerned that some pupils were overly identifying with Freddie Mercury, the sacred heart School in Clifton New Jersey decided not to sing the Queen song 'We Are The Champions', at their Graduation Ceremony.

1992, The FBI recovered 44 nude photographs of Madonna which had been stolen in America from fashion photographer Steven Meisel.

1997, Sharitha Knight filed a suit at LA, Superior Court claiming she was owed $1 million (£588,000) as Snoop Doggy Dogg's personal manger between 1993-6. The claim alleged that Snoop had withheld the 20 percent she was owed.

1997, Singer songwriter Jeff Buckley disappeared after talking a swim in the Mississippi River, his body was found on 4th June 1997 after being spotted by a passenger on a tourist riverboat.

1997, The Manic Street Preachers won the best song award for 'A Design For Life' at the 42nd Ivor Novello awards. Other winners included The Spice Girls for Hit of the year with 'Wannabe', Elvis Costello for Outstanding contribution to music, George Michael won Songwriter Of The Year and Most Performed work for 'Fastlove.'

1999, Skeletal remains were found by photographers looking for old car wrecks to shoot at the bottom of Decker Canyon near Malibu, California. Based on forensic evidence the remains were Philip Kramer former bassist with rock group Iron Butterfly, who had disappeared on his way home from work on February 12, 1995. His death was ruled as a probable suicide.

2001, The Eagles made their first ever visit to Russia when they appeared at SC Olymisky in Moscow.

2002, A 16ft by 6ft mosaic designed by John Lennon went on display at The Beatles Story museum in Liverpool. The mosaic had been built into Lennon's swimming pool at his Kenwood home in Surrey where he lived between 1964 and 1968.

2002, Australian actress and singer Natalie Imbruglia became the new face of L'Oreal when she signed a deal worth £100,000 ($170,000) with the French cosmetics manufacturer.

2005, Gorillaz scored their first UK No.1 album when 'Demon Days' went to the top of the charts.

2007, A piano used by John Lennon on the night he died was put up for sale for $375,000 (£189,000) on The Moments in Time memorabilia website. The upright grand piano was part of the Record Plant Recording Studios in New York where the former Beatle recorded his 1971 Imagine album. Lennon was said to be so fond of the instrument that he had it moved to whichever studio he was working in and had used the piano hours before being shot on 8 December 1980.

2009, Phil Spector was jailed for at least 19 years for murdering an actress in 2003. The producer, 69, famed for his Wall of Sound recording technique, was last month found guilty of shooting Lana Clarkson at his California home. Spector had pleaded not guilty to the second-degree murder during the five-month retrial in Los Angeles. His lawyers said he would appeal. Spector was given a sentence of 15 years to life for second-degree murder and an additional four years for personal use of a gun.

2010, Sabrosa Park (at the small town of Sabrosa, north of Portugal) was renamed B.B. King Park in honor of King and the free concert he had played before 20,000 people.

2015, Michael Jackson's Neverland ranch went up for sale with a price tag of $100m (£65m). Jackson bought the Santa Barbara development in 1987 for $19.5m but struggled to pay for it, until an investment company stepped in to help him save it from auction.

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 08:15
May 29th: Born on this day

1941, Born on this day, Roy Crewsdon, from the 1960s pop band Freddie and the Dreamers. They scored the 1963 UK No.3 single 'You Were made For Me', and the 1965 US No.1 single 'I'm Telling You Now'.

1945, Born on this day, Gary Brooker, English singer, songwriter, pianist and founder and lead singer of the rock band Procol Harum who had the 1967 UK No.1 and US No.5 single A Whiter Shade Of Pale. (one of the few singles to have sold over 10 million copies) and scored the hits 'Homburg', 'Conquistador'. Brooker founded The Paramounts in 1962 with his guitarist friend Robin Trower and has also worked with Eric Clapton, Alan Parsons and Ringo Starr.

1949, Born on this day, Francis Rossi, guitarist, singer, songwriter with Status Quo. The group have had over 60 chart hits in the UK, more than any other rock band, including 'Pictures of Matchstick Men' in 1967, 'Whatever You Want' in 1979 and 'In the Army Now' in 2010. Twenty-two of these reached the Top 10 in the UK. In July 1985 the band opened Live Aid at Wembley Stadium with 'Rockin' All Over the World'.

1955, Born on this day, Mike Porcaro, bassist with American rock band Toto who had the 1980s Top 5 hits 'Hold the Line', 'Rosanna', and 'Africa'. The band has released 17 studio albums, and has sold over 40 million records worldwide. Porcaro died on 15th March 2015 following a battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig's Disease).

1956, Born on this day, La Toya Jackson, sister of Michael Jackson. She sang backing vocals with The Jackson 5 and on Michael Jackson's Thriller album and has released various singles and albums none of which ever charted in the UK.

1959, Born on this day, Mel Gaynor, drummer with Scottish rock band, Simple Minds, who had the 1985 US No.1 single 'Don't You, Forget About Me', and the 1989 UK No.1 single 'Belfast Child', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles. In 2016, they won the British Academy's Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Song Collection.

1961, Born on this day, David Palmer, from English pop band ABC who as part of the New Romantic movement had the 1982 UK No.4 & 1983 US No.18 'The Look Of Love'. Their 1982 debut album, The Lexicon of Love, was a UK No.1 and they achieved ten UK and five US Top 40 hit singles between 1981 and 1990.

1962, Born on this day, John Pedder, bassist from British indie band Babybird, who had the 996 UK No.3 single ‘You’re Gorgeous’, and the 1996 UK No. 9 album Ugly Beautiful.

1963, Born on this day, Blaze Bayley, lead vocalist with Wolfsbane and Iron Maiden from 1994 to 1999 after being chosen as Bruce Dickinson's replacement after hundreds of auditions.

1967, Born on this day, English singer, songwriter and guitarist Noel Gallagher, Oasis. First single was the 1994 UK No.31 single 'Supersonic', followed by the 1994 UK No.1 album Definitely Maybe which became the fastest selling UK debut album ever. Their third studio album, Be Here Now (1997), became the fastest-selling album in UK chart history. Gallagher now fronts Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds.

1975, Born on this day, Melanie Brown, (Mel B), Scary Spice, The Spice Girls who scored the 1996 UK No.1 & 1997 US No.1 single 'Wannabe', plus eight other UK No.1 singles. She had the solo 1998 UK No.1 single 'I Want You Back' and has now become a television presenter, talent competition judge, and model.

1978, Born on this day, Daniel Pearce, from British boy band One True Voice, created on the ITV television series Popstars: The Rivals who had the 2002 UK No.2 single 'Sacred Trust / After You're Gone'.

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2018 at 17:27
More good stuff Frank, no particular comment on today's content.,,
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2018 at 07:12
Pending approval notice appears again .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2018 at 10:49
Lol ... Approved in full. Actually, scanning through it agai , I find it hard to believe that "Brown Sugar" was really an attempt to cover all the "forbidden" topics mentioned in the commentary - seems to me it was more an attempt to compose a damn good rockin song - and succeeded admirably in that...
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-June-2018 at 00:27
June 6th: On this Day

1962, The first Beatles recording session took place at Abbey Road studios. The group recorded four tracks, one of which was 'Love Me Do' the four musicians received payments for the session of £7.10 ($12.07) each.

1965, The Rolling Stones released the single '(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction' in the US, which went on to give the band their first No.1. In the UK, (where it was released in August 1966), the song initially played only on pirate radio stations because its lyrics were considered too sexually suggestive.

1966, Roy Orbison's first wife, Claudette, was killed when a truck pulled out of a side road and collided with the motorbike that she and her husband were riding on in Gallatin, Texas, she was 25.

1968, Screaming Lord Sutch appeared at the Freehold Hullabaloo in Freehold, New Jersey, (Sutch was touring the East Coast in a old custom-painted Rolls Royce ‘hearse’). Support band was The Castiles (with Bruce Springsteen on vocals).

1970, Christie were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Yellow River'. Written by band leader Jeff Christie, the song was offered to The Tremeloes, who recorded it with the intention of releasing it as a single. However, they considered it too pop-orientated for their future direction. Producer Mike Smith therefore took their vocals off the recording and added those of Jeff Christie.

1970, Syd Barrett played his first gig since leaving Pink Floyd at the Extravaganza 70, at London's Olympia Hall, England, backed by a band that included his old friend Floyd guitarist David Gilmour. Barrett baffled the audience (and his musicians) when he abruptly took off his guitar during the fourth number and walked off stage.

1971, John & Yoko jammed live on stage with Frank Zappa at The Filmore East in New York. Some of these recordings were released in 1972, on John Lennon's third post-Beatles album, Some Time in New York City.

1979, Def Leppard played at Crookes Workingman's Club in Sheffield. The gig was reviewed in UK music paper 'Sounds' and led to a recording contract with Phonogram Records.

1982, Tom Petty, Crosby Stills & Nash, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Stevie Nicks and Jackson Browne all appeared at The Rose Bowl, Pasadena, California to a crowd of 85,000 fans at the six hour Peace Sunday, We Have A Dream antinuclear concert. Dylan was joined onstage with Joan Baez and duetted with her on Blowin’ In The Wind and With God On Our Side. The show was partly broadcast on ABC TV’s Entertainment Tonight program on the same day.

1986, A&R man Dick Rowe died of diabetes. Rowe became famous for not signing The Beatles to Decca records and made the classic quote 'Nobody cares about guitar group's anymore.' He did however sign The Rolling Stones to Decca.

1987, Whitney Houston had her second UK No.1 single with 'I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)'. It reached No.1 in over a dozen other countries and won a Grammy Award for Best Female Pop Vocal Performance in 1988.

1987, Michael Jackson announced that he was breaking all ties with the Jehovah's Witnesses. Jackson had been raised as a Jehovah's Witness and would don disguises and go door to door with the Watchtower message in cities where he was performing.

1998, B*Witched scored their first UK No.1 single with 'C'est La Vie', making them the seventh act in chart history to debut at No.1. Also today, Boyzone scored their third UK No.1 album with 'Where We Belong', it was also the first time in chart history that both the No.1 positions were by Irish acts.

1999, Australian filmmaker Baz Luhrmann went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)'. Actor Lee Perry read the narrative. The backing is the choral version of 'Everybody's Free (To Feel Good)', a 1991 song by Rozalla, used in the film William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet.

2003, Keyboard player with The Animals Dave Rowberry died aged 62. He replaced Alan Price who left in 1965. The Animals had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'.

2003, A High court judge in London ruled that rap lyrics should be treated as a foreign language after admitting that he was unsure of the meaning of 'shizzle my nizzle' and 'mish mish man.' The court battle was over a copyright issue between the Ant'ill Mob and the Heartless Crew who had used the lyrics on a remix.

2005, John Bonham was voted at No. 1 in Classic Rock Magazine's '50 Greatest Drummers in Rock' listing Moby Dick as Bonham's defining moment. During live sets with Zeppelin his drum solo Moby Dick would often last for half an hour and regularly featured the use of his bare hands.

2006, Billy Preston died of kidney failure. The Grammy-winning keyboard player collaborated with some of the greatest names in the music industry, including The Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Nat King Cole, Little Richard, Ray Charles, George Harrison, Elton John, Eric Clapton and Bob Dylan.

2008, Ki McPhail and Owen Doyle from Busted lost their £10m royalties battle. The former band members claimed they were forced to sign away their rights before being sacked from the band in October 2001. They pair said they wrote songs with the two other band members James Bourne and Matt Willis, including 'Year 3000' and 'What I Go To School For', when the group formed in 2001, but the judge in the case, Mr Justice Morgan, dismissed their claims and criticised the evidence they gave.

2010, Marvin Isley, the youngest member of the American R&B band, the Isley Brothers, died, aged 56. Marvin Isley, who was the group's bass player, stopped performing in 1996 because of complications from diabetes, including the loss of his legs.

2012, Adam Clayton's former personal assistant and housekeeper went on trial, accused of stealing almost 3m euros (£2.4m) from the U2 bass player. Carol Hawkins, from Dublin, pleaded not guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to 181 counts of theft. She was accused of stealing money from two of Clayton's bank accounts over a four year period from 2004 to 2008. According to the latest Sunday Times Rich List, Bono, the Edge, Larry Mullen, Mr Clayton and their manager had a combined fortune of €628m, ($788m).

2015, Singer Ronnie Gilbert, a member of the influential 1950s Folk quartet The Weavers, passed away at the age of 88. At the height of their popularity the quartet sold millions of records and are most often remembered for 'On Top Of Old Smoky', 'Kisses Sweeter Than Wine' and 'Rock Island Line'.

2017, The site of the 1969 Woodstock music festival was officially recognised for its place in history when Democratic Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced that Bethel Woods Center for the Arts had been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2018 at 00:08
June 7th: On this Day

1963, The Rolling Stones released their debut single, 'Come On'. Recorded the previous month, the track was originally written and released by Chuck Berry in 1961. The B-side was also a cover version, Willie Dixon’s 'I Want to Be Loved'. The single reached No.21 in the UK chart.

1964, During their first ever US tour The Rolling Stones were booed off stage at a gig in San Antonio, Texas. Some performing Monkeys who had been the act on before the Stones were brought back on stage for another performance.

1964, During a world tour, The Beatles flew from Amsterdam to Hong Kong. When the plane stopped to refuel in Beirut, police turned firefighting foam on hundreds of fans who had invaded the runway at the airport.

1969, British supergroup Blind Faith, featuring Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Rick Grech and Steve Winwood made their live debut at a free concert in London's Hyde Park. Their only album release provoked controversy because the cover featured a topless pubescent girl, holding a silver space ship which some perceived as a phallic symbol. The US record company issued it with an alternative cover which showed a photograph of the band on the front. Rumours about the girl's relationship to the band fuelled the controversy; among them were that she was a groupie kept as a slave by the band members.

1969, The Who's fourth album, 'Tommy' album entered the UK chart, peaking at No.2. One of two full-scale rock operas from The Who (the other being the 1973 'Quadrophenia'). The double album tell's a loose story about a "deaf, dumb and blind boy" who becomes the leader of a messianic movement, Tommy was the first musical work to be billed overtly as a rock opera.

1969, Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchell both appeared on the first ABC TV Johnny Cash Show from Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. Dylan sang I Threw It All Away and Living The Blues and duetted with Johnny Cash on Girl From The North Country. Joni Mitchell performed 'Both Sides Now'.

1975, Elton John's ninth studio album 'Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboys', went to No.1 on the US album chart, the first album ever to enter the US chart at No.1. (where it stayed for seven weeks). Captain Fantastic' is a concept album that gives an autobiographical glimpse at the struggles John (Captain Fantastic) and Taupin (the Brown Dirt Cowboy) had in the early years of their musical careers in London.

1977, Led Zeppelin played the first of six sold out nights at Madison Square Garden, in New York City during their 11th and final North American tour. Playing a 3 hour set, tickets cost $8.50 - $10.50.

1987, David Bowie played a concert in West Berlin in front of the Reichstag with the speakers pointing towards the nearby Berlin Wall where thousands of young East Berliners stood and listened.

1995, Radiohead guitarist Jonny Greenwood was admitted to hospital after his ear was leaking blood. The problem was diagnosed as his arm movement from continuous guitar playing.

1997, Hanson started a three-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'MMMbop'. Originally called The Hanson Brothers, lead singer Zak Hanson was just 13-years-old at the time of the hit. One of the biggest debut singles of all time; reaching No.1 in 27 countries.

1997, Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher played a five-song set at the Tibet Freedom Concert, Downing Stadium in New York City. U2, Patti Smith and Radiohead also appeared at the concert.

1998, Songwriter Wally Gold died in a New Jersey hospital aged 70. Wrote 'It's My Party' hit for Lesley Gore and 'It's Now or Never', hit for Elvis Presley. Member of late 50s group The Four Esquires, produced Kansas & Gene Pitney.

2002, Virgin Records announced they had dropped Victoria Beckham after her debut solo album, which cost over £3 million ($5.1 million) to make, had sold only 50,000 copies.

2007, The funeral of guitarist, singer Bo Diddley took place in Gainesville, Florida. Many in attendance chanted "Hey Bo Diddley" shortly after family members had passed by his coffin as a gospel band played Bo Diddley's music. At the service, they presented a floral tribute in form of his trademark square guitar.

2010, Former Stereophonics drummer and BBC Radio Wales presenter Stuart Cable, was found dead at him home near Aberdare in Wales aged 40. His new band Killing for Company had been due to appear at the Download rock festival at Donington Park in a few days time. Cable had also been presenting a Rock show on BBC Radio Wales.

2010, Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh was granted a restraining order against an elderly neighbor who allegedly threatened to kill him. The man was also ordered to pay more than $1,500 in legal fees.

2012, Bob Welch, an early member of Fleetwood Mac who enjoyed a successful solo career with hits such as 'Ebony Eyes,' was found dead after an apparent suicide at home in Nashville. He was 66. Police said Welch's body was found by his wife Wendy with a single gunshot wound to the chest, and he had left a suicide note. Welch was part of Fleetwood Mac in their early years from 1971 to 1974 and worked on such albums as Future Games and Bare Trees.

2015, Sir Elton John lost his cool during a performance at Gloucester's Kingsholm Stadium in England after he likened a steward to Hitler as she tried to stop crowds from surging forward during a gig. In an expletive-laden rant, John went on to say it was "not China" and he picked out a female steward, telling her: "You put a uniform on and you think you're Hitler - well you're not."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2018 at 08:04
Very good stuff Frank - lol the Stones being upstaged by a bunch of monkeys; the story is so mad it has to be true!
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-June-2018 at 19:07
"1969, British supergroup Blind Faith, featuring Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker, Rick Grech and Steve Winwood made their live debut at a free concert in London's Hyde Park. Their only album release provoked controversy because the cover featured a topless pubescent girl, holding a silver space ship which some perceived as a phallic symbol. ....Rumours about the girl's relationship to the band fuelled the controversy; among them were that she was a groupie kept as a slave by the band members.

I dont't get it - If she was their slave, surely they had the right to publish half naked pictures of her.

Edited by Pogue Mahoney - 08-June-2018 at 19:09
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2018 at 00:24
June 8th: On this Day

1963, The Crystals' 'Da Doo Ron Ron' peaked at No.3 on the US singles chart. Produced by Phil Spector, who used a multi-track recording system to build the song layer upon layer to achieve a result that become known as a "wall of sound". Backing musicians include Glen Campbell on guitar, Leon Russell on piano, Hal Blain on drums and Nino Tempo on sax.

1967, Procol Harum were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Whiter Shade Of Pale' the group's only UK No.1. In 2004 the song was named the most played record of the past 70 years. More than 900 recorded versions by other artists are known.

1967, The Beatles Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band went to No.1 in the UK. Costing £25,000 ($42,500) to produce the album was recorded over 700 hours of studio time. It was also the first album to print the lyrics on the sleeve. The album spent 27 weeks at No.1 on the UK chart.

1969, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Charlie Watts visited Brian Jones at his home in Cotchford Farm to discuss his future in the group. The Stones later issued a press statement saying that Brian was leaving The Rolling Stones.

1970, Deep Purple had their van and equipment impounded by East German police while on an European tour, after mistakenly driving too close to the border.

1974, Bill Wyman became the first Rolling Stone to release a solo album with Monkey Grip, (it peaked at No.39 in the UK and No.99 in the US). The album featured guest appearances by, Dr John, Leon Russell and Lowell George.

1974, David Bowie started a four-week run at the top of the UK charts with his third No.1 album 'Diamond Dogs'. The cover art features Bowie as a striking half-man, half-dog grotesque painted by Belgian artist Guy Peellaert. It was controversial as the full painting clearly showed the hybrid's genitalia. Very few copies of this original cover made their way into circulation at the time of the album's release.

1974, Dolly Parton was at No.1 on the US country chart with 'I Will Always Love You'. Elvis Presley indicated that he wanted to cover the song. Parton was interested until Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker, told her that it was standard procedure for the songwriter to sign over half of the publishing rights to any song Elvis recorded. Parton refused. 'I Will Always Love You' later became a worldwide No.1 hit for Whitney Houston in 1992 when featured in The Bodyguard.

1974, Paul McCartney and Wings went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Band On The Run' his third solo US No.1, a No.3 hit in the UK. McCartney later stated that George Harrison unwittingly contributed the first line of one part of the song: "If we ever get out of here" when he said it during one of the many Beatles' business meetings.

1985, Tears For Fears started a two-week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Everybody Wants To Rule The World', the group's first US No.1. In 1986, the song won Best Single at the Brit Awards. Band member and co-writer Roland Orzabal argued that the song deserved to win the Ivor Novello International Hit of the Year award, claiming that the winner, '19' by Paul Hardcastle - was not an actual song, but only a "dialogue collage."

1987, Yogi Horton a session drummer with Luther Vandross, jumped to his death from a 17th floor hotel window, having told his wife he was tired of Living in the shadow of Vandross Also worked with The B-52's, Diana Ross and Debbie Harry.

1989, At a Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior's press conference, vegetarian Chrissie Hynde claimed that she once firebombed a McDonalds restaurant. The following day a McDonalds in Milton Keynes, England was firebombed and Hynde was threatened with legal action.

1991, Color Me Bad had their only UK No.1 single with 'I Wanna Sex You Up'. The song was a No.2 hit in the US where some radio stations edited out the word "sex" with disc jockeys announcing the song 'I Wanna Love You Up'.

1996, The Fugees scored their first UK No.1 single with their version of the Roberta Flack 1973 hit 'Killing Me Softly'. The song composed by Charles Fox and Norman Gimbel in 1971 was inspired by Lori Lieberman's poem 'Killing Me Softly with His Blues', written having seen a performance by US singer, songwriter Don McLean.

1998, Oasis guitarist Noel Gallagher, Paul Weller and Martin Carr from The Boo Radleys were all involved in a fight at Dingwalls, Camden in London.

2002, Months of secrecy surrounding Paul McCartney's wedding plans were blown when John Leslie the owner of the 17th century Castle Leslie in Co Monaghan, let slip to reporters that Sir Paul had booked the Castle for the wedding.

2003, Led Zeppelin were at No.1 on the US album chart with their triple live album How The West Was Won, the band's seventh US No.1 album. The performances were from the band's 1972 tour of the United States, recorded at the LA Forum on 25 June 1972 and Long Beach Arena on 27 June 1972.

2007, George Michael was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and banned from driving for two years at Brent Magistrates court, north London. The 43-year-old who was arrested last October after being found slumped at the steering wheel of his car pleaded guilty to driving while unfit, blaming "tiredness and prescribed drugs" for the offence.

2008, Rolling Stone magazine published a list of the Top 50 guitar songs of all time. No.5 was 'Brown Sugar' by The Rolling Stones, No.4 , ‘You Really Got Me’ by The Kinks, No.3, ‘Crossroads’, by Cream, No.2 ‘Purple Haze’, by Jimi Hendrix and No.1 ‘Johnny B Goode’, Chuck Berry.

2012, Lauryn Hill was charged with willfully failing to file income tax returns in the US. Authorities said the singer earned more than $1.6m (£1.03m) during the three years that she failed to file returns. US prosecutors said her main source of income during the period 2005 - 2007 was royalties from her music and films. According to court papers, the 37-year-old owned four corporations - Creations Music, Boogie Tours, LH Productions 2001 and Studio 22.

2016, Two US musicians were suing Ed Sheeran for $20m (£13.8m) over his single 'Photograph'. Martin Harrington and American Thomas Leonard claimed it had a similar structure to their song, 'Amazing'. Martin Harrington and Thomas Leonard said they penned Amazing in 2009 and in documents, that include musical note comparison and chord breakdowns of the two songs, the pair claimed the chorus of 'Photograph' shares 39 identical notes with their track.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-June-2018 at 09:37
Hmmmmm ... My Top 5 guitar songs of all time :

5. I'm shaking - Jack White
4. All day and all of the night - Kinks
3. Lazy - Deep Purple
2. Mississippi Queen - Mountain
1. Brighton Rock - Queen

But the list will be different next week.   
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 00:15
June 9th: On this Day

1963, The Beatles on the last night of their tour with Roy Orbison, performed at King George's Hall, Blackburn, Lancashire. It was during this tour that The Beatles' fans started throwing jelly babies at them while they were on stage, after an off-the-cuff remark on television that George Harrison enjoyed eating them.

1964, During an evening session Bob Dylan recorded Mr. Tambourine Man at Columbia Recording Studios in New York City. This was the first session for the Another Side Of Bob Dylan, which saw Dylan recording fourteen original compositions that night. The Byrds later recorded a version of Mr. Tambourine Man that was released as their first single and reached No.1 on both the US & UK Chart. The Byrds' recording of the song was influential in initiating the musical subgenre of folk-rock, leading many contemporary bands to mimic its fusion of jangly guitars and intellectual lyrics in the wake of the single's success.

1967, Pink Floyd played two gigs in one day, the first at the College of Commerce in Hull, and then the UFO at The Blarney Club, Tottenham Court Road, London, England.

1972, Elvis Presley made entertainment history by performing four sold-out shows at New York's Madison Square Garden. George Harrison, John Lennon, David Bowie, Bob Dylan and Art Garfunkel were among music stars that attended the shows. The shows were recorded and became the album 'Elvis as recorded at Madison Square Garden'.

1972, Bruce Springsteen signed with Columbia Records and started to assemble the E Street Band from various Asbury Park ex-band mates.

1978, The Rolling Stones released Some Girls, their first studio album recorded with Ronnie Wood as a full member. The album cover was designed by Peter Corriston and featured The Rolling Stones in garish drag alongside select female celebrities and lingerie ads. The cover immediately ran into trouble when Lucille Ball, Farrah Fawcett, Liza Minnelli (representing her mother Judy Garland), Raquel Welch, and the estate of Marilyn Monroe threatened legal action.

1979, The Bee Gees went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Love You inside Out', the group's 9th US No.1 and a No.13 hit in the UK.

1984, Cyndi Lauper started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Time After Time' a No.3 hit in the UK. Lauper co-wrote 'Time After Time' with Philadelphia based Rob Hyman of The Hooters.

1990, Englandneworder started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'World In Motion'. England's song for the World Cup in 1990, following their No.1 in 1970. In the game they were knocked out by Germany on both occasions.

1990, M.C. Hammer's debut album started a record breaking 21 week stay at the top of the US album charts, making it the longest uninterrupted stay at the top since the album charts started.

1990, Bailiffs repossessed the mansion owned by the group 5 Star after non-payment of the mortgage. The group had achieved 15 top 20 hits over five years.

1990, Wilson Phillips went to No.1 on the US with 'Hold On'. 25 years earlier to the day Wendy and Carnies father Beach Boy Brian Wilson had been at No.1 with 'Help Me Rhonda'.

1994, After an argument TLC singer Left Eye set fire to her boyfriend's Atlanta mansion, worth $2 million (£1.176 million), burning it to the ground. She was charged with arson and fined $10,000 (£5,882) with five years probation.

1998, Oasis singer Liam Gallagher and Simply Red singer Mick Hucknall were involved in a brawl at The Metropolitan Hotel, London.

1998, The Ronettes appeared in the Supreme Court of New York for their lawsuit against producer Phil Spector. The Ronettes, whose hits included 'Be My Baby' and 'Walking In The Rain', claimed that Spector had breached the group's 34-year-old contract by paying the members no royalties since 1963. Although The Ronettes went on to win the case, the New York State Court of Appeals overturned the decision in October, 2002, saying that the contract the Ronettes signed with Spector in 1963 was still binding.

2003, Former Boyzone frontman Ronan Keating raised more than £100,000 ($170,000) for cancer charities during a 23 day walk from the Giant's Causeway in County Antrim to Kinsale in County Cork. He visited 610 towns along the way, walking an average of 32km (20 miles) each day.

2007, George Michael became the first music artist to perform at the new Wembley Stadium in London when he played the first of two shows at the venue during his '25 Live Tour'.

2011, A Belgian music festival, which prides itself on its horse-meat sausages announced it was going meat-free on the day that vegetarian singer Morrissey appeard. The 10-day Lokerse Feesten, which boasts online about sales of sausage rolls and snails, will order stalls to sell vegetarian food only on 4 August, the day Morrissey is due to appear. In 2009, the singer left the stage at California's Coachella festival saying he could "smell burning flesh". The booking "meant a welcomed catering challenge for one day", it added.

2015, A Toronto-based company called Nutritional High announced that they had secured the licensing rights to manufacture and distribute marijuana and hemp-based products using the song titles and bearing the likeness of iconic guitarist Jimi Hendrix.

2016, Paul Simon said he was "elated" to notch up his first UK No.1 studio album in 26 years after his 13th solo album, Stranger To Stranger, topped the charts.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2018 at 23:32
June 10th: On this Day

1956, American singer, actor Pat Boone was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I'll Be Home.' Boone scored over 30 UK Top 40 hit singles during the 50s and early 60s and was the second biggest charting artist behind only Elvis Presley.

1964, The first edition of the official The Rolling Stones book was issued, priced at one and six, (the publication ran for 30 issues). Also on this day, at producers Phil Spector’s suggestion, The Stones recorded 'It's All Over Now', 'I Can’t Be Satisfied' and 'Time Is On My Side' at Chess studios in Chicago. During the day, the Stones got to meet, Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Buddy Guy and Chuck Berry.

1964, On their first world tour The Beatles took a flight from Hong Kong to Australia making an unscheduled fuel stop in Darwin, where over 400 fans greeted their aircraft. The Beatles then flew on to Sydney, where they arrive in the middle of a heavy downpour. The group were required to appear in an open-top truck in the pouring rain to wave at the 1,000's of fans greeting them at the airport.

1966, Steve Marriott of the Small Faces collapsed while performing on UK TV show Ready Steady Go! The group were forced to cancel the following weeks gigs.

1966, The Monkees first recording sessions took place. These sessions featured members of the Wrecking Crew, a group of studio musicians in Los Angeles but proved to be unsuccessful.

1972, The Rolling Stones double album Exile On Main Street went to No.1 on the UK chart, the bands seventh UK No.1 album. In 2010, the re-released album entered the UK chart at No.1, almost 38 years to the week after it first occupied that position. The Rolling Stones are the first act to ever have a studio album return to No.1 after it was first released.

1977, Joe Strummer and Nicky Headon from The Clash were each fined £5 ($8.50) by a London court for spray-painting The Clash on a wall.

1978, John Travolta and Olivia Newton John went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'You're The One That I Want' also No.1 in the UK.

1982, Addie Harris from The Shirelles died of a heart attack after a show in Atlanta. 1961 US No.1 & UK No.4 single 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow'. Became the first all girl group to have a number one single on the Billboard Hot 100.

1983, Chris Sievey of UK group The Freshies released the first computer game single. When played on a Sinclair ZX 81 computer via a record deck the lyrics of the song came on the screen.

1989, Jason Donovan was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of the Brian Hyland 1962 hit 'Sealed With A Kiss'. Donovan became the first Australian act to enter the UK charts at No.1.

1991, Temptations member Eddie Kendricks was arrested while attending the funeral of soul singer David Ruffin in Detroit on charges of owing $26,000 ($15,294) in child support.

1993, Irish singer Sinead O'Connor took out a full-page ad in the Irish Times asking the public to "stop hurting me please." She blamed her troubles on abuse she suffered as a child. O'Connor was still being criticized for ripping up a picture of the Pope during an appearance on Saturday Night Live the previous October.

2001, Radiohead went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Amnesiac'. The band's fifth studio album debuted at No.2 on the US Billboard 200 and produced three singles, 'Pyramid Song', 'I Might Be Wrong' and 'Knives Out'.

2004, US singer, songwriter Ray Charles died aged 73. Glaucoma rendered Charles blind at the age of six. He scored the 1962 UK & US No.1 single 'I Can't Stop Loving You' plus over 30 other US Top 40 singles and the 2005 US No.1 album 'Genius Loves Company.' Charles who was married twice and fathered twelve children by nine different women appeared in the 1980 hit movie, The Blues Brothers was also the winner of 17 Grammy Awards.

2006, The surviving members of Led Zeppelin met at a secret rehearsal space in England to run through songs for the forthcoming 02 Arena benefit tribute to Atlantic Records co-founder, the late Ahmet Ertegun. It was the first time the three members had been in the same room with instruments since their four-song set at Led Zeppelin's 1995 induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

2007, The Rolling Stones played their first UK festival in over 30 years when they appeared at the Isle of Wight Festival. The Stones arrived at the Isle of Wight on their own privately chartered ferry for their 200-strong entourage including five Winnebago trailers and private security team. The Stones last UK festival appearance was Knebworth Fair in 1976.

2007, Rihanna went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her third album Good Girl Gone Bad, featuring the single ‘Umbrella’. which spent 10 consecutive weeks at No.1 in the UK making it the longest running No.1 single since Wet Wet Wet's ‘Love Is All Around'.

2007, R. Kelly was at No.1 on the US album chart with Double Up. His eleventh studio album featured guest appearances by Snoop Dogg, Nelly, T.I., Usher, Huey, Ludacris and Kid Rock.

2009, The daughter of Cher, Chastity Bono was set to undergoing a sex change to become a man. The gender-swap process began shortly after Bono's 40th birthday in March and more than a decade after she came out as a lesbian.

2009, Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page was inducted into the Mojo Hall Of Fame at the magazine's award ceremony. Singer Richard Hawley won the best album prize, while Kasabian's single ‘Fire’ was named song of the year. Mojo had become the best-selling music magazine in the UK, selling more than twice as many copies as NME. A further 16 honorary prizes were handed out. They included the classic album award, which went to The Stone Roses for their 1989 self-titled debut LP and veteran space rockers Hawkwind accepted the Mojo Maverick honour.

2016, Rod Stewart was knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours list for services to music and charity. Stewart said: "I've led a wonderful life and have had a tremendous career thanks to the generous support of the great British public. This monumental honour has topped it off and I couldn't ask for anything more."

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-June-2018 at 08:48
June 12th: On this Day

1964, The Beatles arrived in Adelaide, Australia and were greeted by an estimated 250,000 fans, (the biggest welcome the band would ever receive), who lined the ten mile route from the airport to the city centre. The group gave their first four shows in Australia at the Centennial Hall, Adelaide over two nights, playing: I Saw Her Standing There, I Want To Hold Your Hand, All My Loving, She Loves You, Till There Was You, Roll Over Beethoven, Can't Buy Me Love, This Boy, Long Tall Sally and Twist And Shout. Temporary member Jimmy Nicol was standing in for Ringo on drums who was recovering from having his tonsils removed.

1965, The Beatles were included in the Queen's birthday honours list to each receive the MBE. Protests poured into Buckingham Palace, MP Hector Dupuis said 'British Royalty has put me on the same level as a bunch of vulgar numbskulls'.

1965, The Supremes scored their fifth consecutive US No.1 single (they were the first American group to accomplish this feat), when 'Back In My Arms Again', went to the top of the charts.

1966, Pink Floyd appeared at The Marquee Club in Wardour Street, London, England. It was at this show that future co-manager Peter Jenner saw the band live for the first time. Floyd went on to sign a management contract with Peter Jenner and Andrew King on 31st Oct of this year.

1967, Bob Dylan's album Greatest Hits peaked at No.10 in the US chart. The cover photograph of the album was taken by Rowland Scherman at Dylan's November 28th, 1965, concert in Washington, D.C., winning the 1967 Grammy award for Best Album Cover, Photography. The original album package also included Milton Glaser's now-familiar psychedelic poster depicting Dylan.

1970, David Bowie released the single 'Memory of a Free Festival', which featured guitarist Mick Ronson and drummer Mick Woodmansey's studio debut with Bowie's band, bringing together the line-up that would shortly record The Man Who Sold the World. The track also featured Marc Bolan on lead guitar and backing vocals.

1972, With the help of her mother, a bare footed Ronnie Spector left her husband Phil's Beverly Hills mansion for the last time, leaving behind her adopted sons, three year old Donté and six year old twins, Louis and Gary. Within days she filed for a divorce that would be granted in 1974.

1976, The Who, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Little Feat, Outlaws and Streetwalkers all appeared at Swansea City Football Club, Swansea, Wales, Tickets cost £4 ($7).

1982, Bruce Springsteen, James Taylor, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt and Gary 'US' Bonds all appeared at a rally for nuclear disarmament in Central Park, New York to over 450,000 fans.

1989, The Elvis Presley Autoland Museum opened at Graceland. The museum contained over 30 cars which were owned by Presley including his famous Pink Cadillac, Harley-Davidson motorcycles, Stutz Blackhawks, a 1975 Dino Ferrari, a 1956 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible, and the red MG that Elvis drove in the film Blue Hawaii.

1999, It was reported that Oasis had paid Gary Glitter £200,000 ($340,000) as an out-of-court settlement after being accused of using the Gary Glitter lyric, 'Hello, hello, it's good to be back' in the song 'Hello'.

2000, Sinead O'Connor announced that she was a lesbian. The mother of two told the American magazine Curve that she had been in the closet for years saying "I am a lesbian. I haven't been very open about that, I've gone out with blokes because I haven't necessarily been terribly comfortable about being a lesbian."

2002, Clive Calder the man who is credited with discovering Britney Spears, sold his record company Zomba to BMG Music for $2 billion. Calder started Zomba in 1975 and had hits with Billy Ocean, Sam Fox and Tight Fit.

2004, Lee Ryan from Blue was found guilty of criminal damage and ordered to pay £500 ($850) compensation from charges relating to an incident outside London nightclub 10 Rooms the previous December. Ryan admitted to throwing punches at a photographer after being bombarded by snappers when leaving the club, but argued that he was provoked into doing so. Judge Caroline Tubbs accepted that Lee was acting in self-defence, so dismissed any assault charges.

2005, Pink Floyd announced they would reunite with former bassist Roger Waters, who left the band in 1985, on July 2 for the Live 8 London concert. This would be the first time the band had played together as a quartet since The Wall tour in 1981.

2006, Prince received a Webby Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of his "visionary" use of the Internet; Prince was the first major artist to release an entire album, 1997's Crystal Ball, exclusively on the internet.

2008, Amy Winehouse performed an exclusive gig at a Moscow art gallery for Chelsea FC owner Roman Abramovich and his girlfriend Dasha Zhukova. It was reported that the singer was paid £1m for the gig at the launch of The Garage gallery, which has been set up by Ms Zhukova.

2013, An inquest jury was told how Reggae star Smiley Culture had plunged a kitchen knife into his own chest after being arrested at his home in Surrey, England. Police had arrived at to arrest the singer and search his premises as part of an inquiry into allegations of conspiring to import Class A drugs into the UK. The singer later died from his injuries.

2013, Mumford & Sons bassist Ted Dwane was rushed into hospital to have an operation to remove a blood clot on his brain. Scans revealed a blood clot on the surface of his brain that required an operation.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-June-2018 at 09:53
June 14th: On this Day

1961, Patsy Cline was seriously injured in a car accident. During her two month hospital stay, her song "I Fall to Pieces" gave the singer her first Country No.1 and also became a huge country-pop crossover hit.

1963, During a UK tour The Beatles played at New Brighton Tower in Wallasey supported by Gerry and the Pacemakers. Tickets cost 6 shillings in advance. Between 1961 -1963, The Beatles played at The Tower Ballroom on 27 occasions.

1964, Touring Australia The Beatles arrived in Melbourne and were greeted at the airport by over 5,000 fans. Another 20,000 fans lined the route from the airport to the hotel, army and navy units were brought in to help control the crowds, cars were crushed, hundreds of girls fainted and over 50 people were admitted to hospital with broken bones.

1964, The Manish Boys, (featuring David Bowie) auditioned for the UK television talent show Opportunity Knocks.

1967, The Doors appeared at Steve Paul's Scene, New York City, Jimi Hendrix was in the audience to see the show.

1974, Ray Stevens was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Streak' a song about the latest British craze of streaking, (running naked in a public place).

1977, Led Zeppelin played the last of six sold out nights at Madison Square Garden, in New York City during their 11th and final North American tour. The 3-hour set included: The Song Remains The Same, Since I’ve Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, 'Stairway To Heaven', Whole Lotta Love, Rock And Roll and When the Levee Breaks.

1980, Billy Joel started a six-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Glass Houses', his second US No.1 album. The album features Joel's first song to peak at No.1 on Billboard's Pop Singles chart, 'It's Still Rock and Roll to Me.'

1984, A model of Boy George from Culture Club was unveiled at Madame Tussaud's Waxworks in London, England on his 23rd birthday.

1986, Bob Geldof was named in HRH The Queen's Birthday Honours List, receiving an honorary Knighthood in recognition of his humanitarian activities.

1986, Three fans died during an Ozzy Osbourne gig at Long Beach Arena, California after falling from a balcony.

1987, Madonna played the first date on her Who's That Girl World Tour at the Osaka Stadium, Osaka, Japan. The tour became the highest-grossing tour ever, grossing over $20 million.

1987, 30 hired hands moved 800 rented NHS beds onto Saunton Sands in North Devon for Storm Thorgerson to shoot what would be the cover of the forthcoming Pink Floyd album 'A Momentary Lapse Of Reason'. Rain interrupted the shoot and the team were forced to repeat the exercise two weeks later.

1989, Pete De Freitas drummer with Echo And The Bunnymen was killed at the age of 27, when his motorbike collided with a car.

1994, Composer Henry Mancini died aged 70. Wrote the music to 'Moon River, which was originally sung in the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's by Audrey Hepburn, was also the theme song for the Andy Williams television show. Had the 1969 US No.1 single 'Love Theme from Romeo And Juliet.' Recorded over 90 albums, contributed music to over 100 movies, including 'Theme From The Pink Panther.'

1995, Irish guitarist Rory Gallagher died after a chest infection set in following a liver transplant. Had been a member of Taste before going solo, sold over 30m albums worldwide. Voted Melody Maker's Top Musician of the Year in 1972, auditioned for The Rolling Stones following the departure of Mick Taylor. Gallagher made his final performance on 10 January 1995 in the Netherlands.

1995, ABC's Diane Sawyer interviewed Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley on ABC-TV's Prime Time Live. It was the couple's first interview since their surprise marriage a year earlier and was part of the publicity push for Jackson's album 'HIStory - Past, Present and Future: Book One'. Jackson and Presley declared they were a "normal married couple who hoped to have a baby". When asked if they had sex, they replied "yes, yes, yes!" They also confirmed that a prenuptial agreement had been signed.

1997, Puff Daddy and Faith Evans started a 11 week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I'll Be Missing You', a tribute to the late Notorious B.I.G. Also a No.1 in the UK.

2000, Noel Gallagher from Oasis was voted into first place in Melody Maker's annual 'Un-coolest People in Rock' survey. Marilyn Manson came second and Robbie Williams was voted third.

2000, American pianist and session musician Paul Griffin died aged 62. He who recorded with hundreds of musicians from the 1950s to the 1990s. Griffin worked with Bob Dylan, Steely Dan, Don McLean, the Isley Brothers, Van Morrison, The Shirelles, and Dionne Warwick. He is best known for playing on the albums Bob Dylan albums Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, and Steely Dan's Aja.

2002, During an UK visit Michael Jackson made a tour of Parliament and was shown the monarch's throne in the House of Lords. Whenever Jackson went outside he called for an umbrella to shield his face from the sun.

2002, Mick Jagger became a Sir when he was knighted in the Queen's Birthday Honours.

2007, Bob Dylan won Spain's Prince of Asturias Arts Award, one of the country's most prestigious honours. Jury chairman Jose Llado called Dylan a 'living legend of popular music and the guiding star of a generation that dreamed of changing the world'. Previous winners of the annual prize include US film-maker Woody Allen.

2012, Ringo Starr's birthplace in Liverpool was saved from the threat of demolition. The house, a run-down three-bedroom Victorian terrace, was one of 400 buildings marked for demolition in the Dingle area of Liverpool, but Beatles fans and city residents had successfully lobbied to save the house, along with 15 others in the area. The Liverpool City Council has agreed to give locals the opportunity to fix up the properties.

2016, Irish rock guitarist, Henry McCullough died after never fully recovering from a severe heart attack he had suffered four years earlier. He recorded with Paul McCartney and Wings, featuring on the hit James Bond theme, 'Live and Let Die' and 'My Love', the solo which he made up on the spot in front of a live orchestra. He was also a member of Spooky Tooth and The Grease Band.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 13:14
June 18th: On this Day

1948, Columbia Records started the first mass production of the 33-RPM long player. The new format could contain a maximum of 23 minutes of music per side versus the three minutes that could be squeezed on to a 78 RPM disc.

1955, Jimmy Young was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with his version of 'Unchained Melody', (a theme for the obscure prison film Unchained and a hit for the Righteous Brothers in 1965). Young scored another ten Top 40 hit singles and went on to become one of UK's favourite radio DJ's

1964, Touring Australia The Beatles played at Sydney Stadium in Sydney. This was Paul McCartney 22nd birthday and after the show his guests included 17 girls who were winners of the Daily Mirrors 'Why I would like to be a guest at a Beatles birthday party' competition.

1976, ABBA gave a special live performance in Stockholm for Sweden's King Carl XVI Gustaf and Silvia Sommerlath on the eve of their wedding.

1977, Fleetwood Mac went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Dreams', the group's first and only US No.1, was also a No.24 in the UK. Stevie Nicks has stated she wrote the song at the Record Plant studio in Sausalito, California, in about 10 minutes.

1977, Johnny Rotten and Paul Cook of the Sex Pistols were stabbed and beaten when they were attacked in a car park outside a London pub. They objected to the Pistols' anti-monarchist song 'God Save the Queen'. The next day, another member of the Pistols, Paul Cook, was beaten by a gang armed with iron pipes.

1983, Swiss band Yello released the first three- dimensional picture disc, complete with 3-D glasses.

1988, 'Doctorin' The Tardis' by The Timelords was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The Timelords were Scottish duo Bill Drummond and Jimmy Cauty, who formed KLF. The song was a mash-up of the Doctor Who theme music, Gary Glitter's 'Rock and Roll (Part Two)' with sections from 'Blockbuster!' by Sweet.

1993, A&M Records chairman Jerry Moss and vice-chairman Herb Alpert announced they were leaving the company they founded more than 30 years earlier. They had sold A&M in 1990 to Polygram for $500 million. Moss and Alpert started the label in the garage of Alpert's Los Angeles home in 1962. The label was the home to such acts as The Police, Bryan Adams, Joan Baez, Flying Burrito Brothers, The Carpenters, Joe Cocker, Supertramp and Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass.

2002, The ex-husband of Spice Girl Mel B appeared in court on a charge of assaulting a three year-old boy. Dancer Jimmy Guizar denied assaulting the child in a play area at London Zoo.

2002, U2 lost a bid to prevent the demolition of Hanover Quay studio in Dublin.’Over 8,000 fans signed an online petition to preserve the studio, where the group recorded ‘All That You Can't Leave Behind’ and some of their 'Pop' album.

2003, Pop Idol creator Simon Fuller became the first British music manager since The Beatles Brian Epstein to hold the top three positions in the US singles chart. Fuller, who steered the Spice Girls and S Club 7 to success, was in charge of bestselling artists Clay Aiken and Ruben Studdard, together with the American Idol 2 Final 10. During 2003 Fuller sold more than ten million records around the world and has had 96 No.1 singles and 79 top-placed albums in both the US and UK during his career. He was named in the latest Sunday Times Rich List as the 359th wealthiest person in the UK with assets of £90 million ($153 million).

2007, American singer and record producer Hank Medress died of lung cancer at 68. He was the vocalist on The Tokens 1961 US No.1 hit 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight', Medress was also in the vocal quartet The Linc-Tones with Neil Sedaka and produced the hit single 'He's So Fine' by The Chiffons, as well as Tony Orlando's 'Knock Three Times'.

2008, A Lost Angeles hotel filed a lawsuit against Phil Spector for failing to pay more than $100,000 (£61,000), in outstanding bills for lawyers and expert witnesses in his murder trial. The Westin Bonaventure Hotel claimed that by the time Spector's trial ended with a hung jury, the defendants owed the hotel more than $104,000 (£63,400).

2010, John Lennon's handwritten lyrics to The Beatles song 'A Day In The Life' sold for $1.2m (£810,000) at an auction at Sotheby's in New York. The double-sided sheet of paper with notes written in felt marker and blue ink also contained some corrections and other notes penned in red ink.

2015, Van Morrison, Cyndi Lauper and Toby Keith were among the inductees into the Song Writers Hall Of Fame at a star-studded gala in New York City. The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia was also inducted posthumously alongside the band's lyricist Robert Hunter.

2016, Adele was named songwriter of the year at the prestigious Ivor Novello Awards, which recognise achievement in songwriting. The singer was honoured for her multi-million selling album, 25, which emerged last year after a long struggle with writer's block.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-June-2018 at 21:33
Very interesting stuff there as always Frank, I really enjoy these posts...
One of its legs is both the same
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2018 at 09:57
June 20th: On this Day

1965, The Beatles began a 14-day European tour with two performances at the Palais Des Sports in Paris, France. The Beatles' set list for this tour: ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I'm a Loser’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's In Black’, ‘I Wanna Be Your Man’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Rock and Roll Music’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, and ‘Long Tall Sally’.

1969, David Bowie recorded 'Space Oddity' at Trident Studios London. The track went on to become a UK No.1 when re-released in 1975. Written about the launch of Major Tom, a fictional astronaut; Bowie would later revisit his Major Tom character in the songs 'Ashes to Ashes', 'Hallo Spaceboy' and 'Blackstar'.

1969, The first of a three day Festival in Newport, California, featuring: Ike And Tina Turner, Marvin Gaye, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Byrds, The Rascals, Steppenwolf, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Janis Joplin, Johnny Winter, Eric Burdon and Love. A three day ticket cost $15 (£8.80). Hendrix received $125,000 for his appearance, at the time it was the highest fee ever paid to a rock act for a single appearance.

1974, Van Morrison, The Allman Brothers Band, The Mahavishnu Orchestra, Tim Buckley, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band and The Doobie Brothers all appeared at Knebworth Park, Stevenage, England. A special PA system was used for the event, claiming to be the best ever for an outside show, weighing 12 tons and needing five technicians.

1981, Stars on 45 went to No.1 on the US singles chart, a medley of Beatles songs set to a disco beat. It was the start of a flood of 'Stars On' hits including Stars on Stevie Wonder, punk songs, Status Quo and Chas & Dave.

1987, Aerosmith appeared at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, Texas, the first night on their Permanent Vacation 147 date world tour. Over the years the venue has been the home to the Texxas Jam, which has featured Deep Purple, Boston, Journey, Ted Nugent, Scorpions, Cheap Trick, Van Halen, Blue Öyster Cult, Sammy Hagar, Rush, Nazareth, Styx, Foghat, Santana and The Eagles. Eric Clapton notably held his first massive 3-day Crossroads Guitar Festival here in 2004.

1992, Mariah Carey scored her sixth US No.1 single with 'I'll Be There', a No.2 hit in the UK. The song was also a US No.1 for The Jackson Five in 1970.

1997, Lawrence Payton of The Four Tops died from liver cancer aged 59. (1965 US No.1 single 'I Can't Help Myself', 1967 UK No.6 single 'Standing In The Shadows of Love').

1998, Baddiel, Skinner & Lightning Seeds went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Three Lions '98' released for the football World Cup 98.

1999, Jamiroquai went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Synkronized', the group's second No.1 album.

2000, The Ronettes were awarded $2.6 million (£1.5 million) in back earnings from Phil Spector. New York judge Paula Omansky ruled that the legendary producer had cheated them out of royalties.

2004, Organisers at a Paul McCartney gig hired three jets to spray dry ice into the clouds so it wouldn't rain during the concert. The gig in Petersburg, Russia, was McCartney's 3,000 concert appearance. He had performed 2,535 gigs with the Quarrymen and The Beatles, 140 gigs with Wings and 325 solo shows.

2006, Claydes Charles Smith, co-founder and lead guitarist of Kool & the Gang died aged 57 after a long illness. They had the 1981 US No.1 & UK No.7 single 'Celebration' and 15 other Top 40 hits.

2008, American singer songwriter Jimmy Buffett announced that his Margaritaville Holdings has partnered with New York gambling company Coastal Marina to buy the Trump Marina Hotel Casino for $316 million. His vast business empire also included tequila, beer, frozen food, footwear, restaurants, a resort, a record label and a recording studio. In 2006, Rolling Stone magazine estimated Buffett's earnings at $44 million.

2014, Songs by Elvis Presley, ABBA and the Spice Girls were among those being used in research that hoped to unlock the secret of how our memory works. Researchers from the University of Amsterdam had created an online game in an attempt to shed light on why some tunes get stuck in your head. Fans were asked to identify song clips and compare them by their catchiness.

2016, Lawyers for Led Zeppelin asked a judge to throw out a case accusing the band of stealing the riff for 'Stairway To Heaven'. Singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page and Warner Music argued that the claimants had failed to make their case after three days of testimony. The band were accused of basing Stairway on the 1968 Spirit song, Taurus.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-June-2018 at 10:12
More Good stuff Frank. Does anyone know if that Stairway to Heaven lawsuit was ever concluded or is it still going on? I've heard Taurus, and there are similarities for sure...
One of its legs is both the same
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 53>