The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 53>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2018 at 19:55
Cheers Pat

It took me about 3 hours to count all the days ... Ah no, joke ... I used my special powers ... Also known as Google ...

I am kinda tied up on "good" days between now and a very special event on 5th October!!! But sometime after that, our little gang (as I think of us in here) might consider a little drinkies gathering !? I know it is far from my place to suggest these things, but someone has to suggest it I suppose ... Just a thought ... How Poguey gets across is another issue !!!
One of its legs is both the same
Sponsored Links

Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2018 at 20:03
Hey!--I have an excellent idea...y'all send me drinkin' money and I can Facetime you at the pub.
I accept credit cards.Approve 
Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2018 at 20:33
Super idea Poguey...we will flash up eg €50 notes on the screen on our side and using my magical powers they will turn into big dollars on your side I've just finished a book about witches, which (ha ha) has absolutely no influence on what I'm saying here ...
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2018 at 20:53
Originally posted by Rahenyrhythm Rahenyrhythm wrote:

I've just finished a book about witches, which (ha ha) has absolutely no influence on what I'm saying here ...

Brilliant --throw in  some money for a few sand-witches to go with my beer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-August-2018 at 20:56
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2018 at 09:00
August 10th: On this Day

1959, Four members of The Platters were arrested after a gig in Cincinnati after being found with four 19 year old women, (3 of them white), in various stages of undress. The scandal resulted in radio stations across the US removing Platters records from their playlists.

1961, Helen Shapiro was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You Don't Know'. Aged 14, Shapiro became the youngest act ever to score a UK No.1.

1963, 13 year-old Little Stevie Wonder started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Fingertips part II', making him the youngest singer to top the charts.

1963, The 100th edition of 'Thank Your Lucky Stars' was aired on UK TV, with Cliff Richard, The Shadows, The Searchers, Brian Poole and the Tremeloes, Billy J. Kramer and the Dakotas and Alma Cogan.

1963, Acker Bilk, Chris Barber, Ronnie Ross, Cyril Davies, Long John Baldry and The Rolling Stones all appeared at the third Richmond Jazz Festival held over two days in Richmond, England. A weekend ticket cost 20 shillings.

1964, Mick Jagger was fined £32 in Liverpool for driving without insurance and breaking the speed limit. His solicitor explained that Jagger was on 'an errand of mercy', driving to see two fans injured in a car crash.

1964, The Beatles had four singles re-released in the US: ‘Do You Want To Know A Secret’, ‘Please, Please Me’, 'Love Me Do' and 'Twist And Shout.’

1968, Tom Jones went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Delilah'.

1969, During a North American tour, Led Zeppelin appeared at the San Diego Sports Arena. Jethro Tull were the support act.

1970, Elvis Presley played the first night of a four-week engagement, playing 2 shows most nights at The International Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada.

1970, Simon and Garfunkels album Bridge Over Troubled Water was at No.1 on the UK album chart, The Beatles were at No.2 with 'Let It Be' and Bob Dylan was at No.3 with 'Self Portrait.'

1972, During their Wings Over Europe Tour, Paul and Linda McCartney were arrested in Sweden for possession of drugs. McCartney joked the arrest would “make good publicity” for the tour.

1976, Elton John played the first of ten sold out nights at Madison Sq. Gardens in New York City. The $1.25 million generated from the shows broke the record set by The Rolling Stones in 1975.

1985, Canadian singer, guitarist Bryan Adams scored his first US No.1 album with 'Reckless.'

1985, 'Money for Nothing' by Dire Straits peaked at No.4 on the UK singles chart. Notable for its groundbreaking music video and a cameo appearance by Sting singing the song's falsetto introduction and backing chorus, "I want my MTV" who also co-wrote the song with Mark Knopfler. The video was also the first to be aired on MTV Europe when the network started on 1 August 1987.

1985, Simon Le Bon from Duran Duran was air lifted to safety when his boat 'Drum' overturned while racing off the English coast. Le Bon was trapped under the hull with five other crew members for twenty minutes, until being rescued by the Royal Navy.

1987, Wilson Pickett was found guilty by a New Jersey court of possessing a shotgun with intent to endanger life following his involvement in a fist fight in a bar.

1992, Def Leppard kicked off the North American leg on their 248-date Seven Day Weekend world Tour at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

1993, The Dave Matthews Band played at The Flood Zone in Richmond, Virginia, the gig was recorded with some of tonight’s songs ending up on the bands first album ‘Remember Two Things.’

1999, it was announced that Oasis rhythm guitarist Paul 'Bonehead' Arthur's had quit the band after finishing his guitar parts on the bands new album.

2002, Lisa Marie Presley married actor Nicolas Cage at a resort in Hawaii. The marriage was Presley's third. She was married previously to musician Danny Keough and pop star Michael Jackson. Cage filed for divorce four months later.

2005, James Blunt was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with ‘You're Beautiful’, Mariah Carey had the US No.1 with ‘We Belong Together’ and Axel F was at No.1 on the Australian singles chart with ‘Crazy Frog.’

2007, Anthony Wilson the UK music mogul behind some of Manchester's most successful bands died aged 57 after suffering from kidney cancer. The TV presenter and entrepreneur founded Factory records, the label behind New Order and the Happy Mondays was also famous for setting up the Hacienda nightclub in Manchester, England.

2007, Spice Girl Emma Bunton gave birth to a baby boy called Beau at London's private Portland Hospital. Bunton and her partner Jade Jones, a former member of defunct boy band Damage, had been together for eight years.

2008, US singer-songwriter Isaac Hayes died at his home in Memphis, Tennessee, at the age of 65. Police were called to his home after his wife found him unconscious. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead. Hayes won an Oscar for the 1971 hit Theme From Shaft as was also known as the voice of Chef from the hit cartoon show, South Park. He was married four times and had 12 children.

2008, American singer-songwriter Katy Perry went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'I Kissed A Girl'. The track was a worldwide hit topping the charts in over than 20 countries.

2013, American singer Eydie Gorme remembered for her 1963, No.7 Billboard hit, 'Blame It On The Bossa Nova', died at the age of 84. She also reached the Hot 100 six other times between 1956 and 1964 and earned numerous awards, including a Grammy and an Emmy.

2016, Ed Sheeran was being sued in America over claims that his track 'Thinking Out Loud' rips off a Marvin Gaye song. The family of the man who co-wrote 'Let's Get It On' says it copies key parts of the track. Ed Townsend's relatives were asking for a jury to decide if they're owed damages.

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2018 at 12:04
my my DelilahSmile
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-August-2018 at 12:08
Love the top 3 in the album chart in 1970.

Ah those were the days when there was great music about.
May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-August-2018 at 08:39
August 12th: On this Day

1960, Pete Best auditioned to become The Silver Beatles' drummer and was asked to travel to Hamburg in Germany for the bands next set of dates. Before leaving for Hamburg, The Silver Beatles changed their name to simply, "The Beatles".

1964, The Beatles first film A Hard Day's Night opened in 500 American cinemas to rave reviews. The film was a financial and critical success. Time magazine rated it as one of the all-time great 100 films.

1966, The Beatles performed two shows at the International Amphitheatre in Chicago, Illinois. This was the first stop on what would turn out to be The Beatles' final US tour. Support acts were the Remains, Bobby Hebb, Cyrkle, and the Ronettes.

1968, Jimmy Page, Robert Plant, John Paul Jones and John Bonham played together for the first time when they rehearsed at a studio in Gerrard Street in London's West End. The first song they played was a version of 'The Train Kept A-Rollin.' They also played 'Smokestack Lightning' and a version of 'I'm Confused' (soon to become 'Dazed And Confused'). The first live dates they played were as The Yardbirds, and it was not until the following month when they started to use the name Led Zeppelin.

1971, John Lennon & Yoko Ono donated £1,000 to the Clyde Shipbuilders Scottish Union fighting fund who were refusing to stop work at the Glasgow site after being made redundant.

1972, Alice Cooper was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'School's Out'. The bands only UK No.1, which was also a No.7 hit on the US chart. Cooper has said he was inspired to write the song when answering the question, "What's the greatest three minutes of your life?". Cooper said: "There's two times during the year. One is Christmas morning, the next one is the last three minutes of the last day of school."

1973, The Eagles, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young and the Santa Monica Flyers all appeared at the Corral Club in Topanga, California.

1977, Henri Padovani guitarist with The Police quit the group after nine months leaving them a trio.

1978, The Commodores started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Three Times A Lady', also No.1 in the UK and becoming Motown's biggest British selling single. Lionel Richie wrote the song about his love for his wife, mother and grandmother hence 'Once, Twice, Three Times a Lady.'

1984, As The Olympic Games came to a close, Lionel Richie performed, 'All Night Long' live from Los Angeles to an estimated television audience of 2.6 billion people around the world.

1985, Kyu Sakamoto was killed in a plane crash when JAL Flight 123, a 747, crashed and burned on a thickly wooded mountain about 60 miles northwest of Tokyo. He was 43. He had the 1963 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Sukiyaki', the first Japanese artist to hit the top of the US singles chart.

1986, Prince started a run of five nights at Wembley Arena, London, his first UK shows for five years.

1989, The two day Moscow Music Peace Festival was held at The Lenin Stadium in Moscow, Russia. Western Acts who appeared included Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, Bon Jovi, Skid Row and The Scorpions. This was the first time that an audience had been allowed to stand up and dance at a stadium rock concert in the Soviet Union. Previous to this, all concerts had to be seated.

2003, Lee Ryan from Blue was arrested whilst driving a Porsche around central London and was charged with drink driving. Ryan had spent the night knocking back drinks at Browns night-club in Covent Garden with his cousin and a record company executive. After annoying others in the club with rowdiness, and his cousin's throwing up in the VIP area, bouncers threw Lee out. Police pulled the star over just after 4am on Tower Bridge Road and breath tests showed him to be twice over the legal drinking limit.

2006, Founding member of Destiny's Child, LeToya was No.1 on the US album chart with her debut solo album 'LeToya.' It was released six years after being dismissed from the group and staying away from the spotlight.

2007, UK singer, songwriter Kate Nash went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her debut album 'Made Of Bricks.'

2010, Richie Hayward, drummer and co-founder of Little Feat, passed away at the age of 64 after contracting pneumonia as he battled liver cancer.

2012, The London 2012 Olympics ended with a spectacular musical closing ceremony. The three-hour show featured some of the biggest names of British music from decades past, including the Spice Girls, George Michael, The Who, Take That, Muse, Jessie J, Emeli Sande, Elbow, Madness, The Pet Shop Boys, One Direction, Ray Davies, Liam Gallagher, and Brian May and Roger Taylor from Queen.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 09:50
August 13th: On this Day

1952, The original version of 'Hound Dog' was recorded by Willie Mae (Big Mama) Thornton. It would become the first hit for the song-writing team of Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller and went on to top the Billboard R&B chart for seven weeks, selling nearly two million copies.

1964, Manfred Mann were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy', the bands first of three UK No.1's. The song which was written by Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich was originally recorded in 1963 by the American vocal group The Exciters.

1964, The Supremes recorded 'Baby Love', written and produced by Motown's main production team Holland–Dozier–Holland, the song went on to be the group's first UK No.1 and second US chart topper. It was also the second of five Supremes songs in a row to go to No.1 in the United States.

1965, Jefferson Airplane made their live debut at San Francisco's Matrix Club. The photograph of the members of Jefferson Airplane that was featured on the front cover of their best-known album, Surrealistic Pillow (1967), was taken inside the Matrix.

1965, Mike Smith, lead singer of The Dave Clark Five, suffered two broken ribs when he was pulled off the stage by fans. The group were in Chicago at the beginning of a US tour.

1965, The Beatles arrived at Kennedy International Airport for a tour of North America. The set list for the tour was ‘Twist and Shout’, ‘She's a Woman’, ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘Dizzy Miss Lizzie’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, ‘Everybody's Trying to Be My Baby’, ‘Can't Buy Me Love’, ‘Baby's in Black’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘A Hard Day's Night’, ‘Help!’, ‘I'm Down’ and ‘I Wanna Be Your Man.’ The tour was not a happy one for The Beatles, John Lennon took to screaming off-microphone obscenities at the audiences.

1966, Lovin Spoonful started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Summer In The City', it made No.8 in the UK. The song features a series of car horns during the instrumental bridge, starting with a Volkswagen Beetle horn, and ends up with a jackhammer sound, in order to give the impression of the sounds of the summer in the city.

1966, Revolver The Beatles seventh album release in three years started a seven-week run at No.1 on the UK charts. It spent a total of 34 week's on the UK chart and was also a US No.1. The title "Revolver", like Rubber Soul before it, is a pun, referring both to a kind of handgun as well as the "revolving" motion of the record as it is played on a turntable.

1967, Fleetwood Mac made their live debut when they appeared at the National Jazz and Blues Festival in Windsor. Also on the bill Jeff Beck, Cream, Small Faces, The Move, The Pink Floyd, Donovan and Chicken Shack.

1971, Saxophonist King Curtis Ousley was stabbed to death by a vagrant on the front steps of his New York home. Ousley had worked with John Lennon and also played on The Coasters 'Yakety Yak'.

1971, John Lennon flew from Heathrow Airport to New York, he never set foot on British soil again.

1971, Pink Floyd played their first ever Australian date when they appeared at the Festival Hall in Melbourne. The group, who were on an Asia Pacific tour, played just one other date in Australia - Sydney, two nights later.

1975, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band played the first of a three night, six show residency at the newly-opened Bottom Line in New York City. The shows received rave reviews and created a buzz in the music industry.

1977, Yes scored their second UK No.1 album with their eighth studio album'Going For The One'. The album marked the return of keyboardist Rick Wakeman, who departed in 1974 over musical differences.

1980, Four masked robbers broke in to Todd Rundgren's New York house and proceeded to steal Hi-Fi equipment and paintings after tying the musician up. It was reported that one of the intruders had been humming his hit 'I Saw The Light'.

1982, American soul singer Joe Tex died at his home in Navasota, Texas, following a heart attack, just five days after his 49th birthday. Had nine US Top 40 hits including the 1972 US No.2 single 'I Gotcha'.

1982, Major American record companies including CBS Atlantic and Warner Brothers all made staff cut-backs as the industry plunged into 'the worst shape in its history'.

1983, KC and the Sunshine Band were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Give It Up'. The American disco group's only UK chart topper spent three weeks at No.1

1992, Neil Diamond played the first of six sold-out nights at Madison Square Garden in New York. Diamond would bring in over $40 million from touring this year, the second highest in the music industry.

1994, Members from Oasis and The Verve were arrested after smashing up a hotel bar and breaking into a church to steal communion wine. Both bands had been appearing at Hulsfred Festival in Sweden.

1994, Woodstock '94 was held in Saugerties, New York, attended by over 350,000 fans, the festival featured Green Day, Nine Inch Nails, Aerosmith and Red Hot Chili Peppers. Tickets cost $135.00, (£89.00).

1999, Ex Guns N' Roses member Slash was arrested accused of assaulting his girlfriend at his Sunset Boulevard recording studio by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies. He was released on bail.

1999, Mick Jagger's marriage to model Jerry Hall was been declared null and void at the High Court in London. Neither Jagger nor Hall were present for the 30-minute hearing before Mr Justice Connell. After hearing evidence on behalf of Hall the judge ruled their "marriage" in Bali in 1990 was not valid either in Indonesia or under English law, and a decree of nullity was granted to Hall. The annulment avoided what had been expected to be a long and costly court battle, in which Ms Hall, 43, was reportedly seeking a £30m share of Jagger's wealth.

2002, Adam Ant pleaded guilty to threatening drinkers at The Prince Of Wales Pub in London in January of this year. The former 1980s pop star had returned to the bar with a starting pistol after being refused entry. He had also thrown a car alternator through the window of the pub.

2004, 'Angels' by Robbie Williams was voted the best single which should have been a No.1 but never was, in a poll for VH1. The ballad, which reached No.4 in December 1997, beat Savage Garden's ‘Truly, Madly, Deeply’ and Aerosmith's 'I Don't Want To Miss A Thing.' Other songs said to have deserved a No.1 included Madonna with ‘Ray of Light’, ‘Beautiful Stranger’, ‘Crazy For You’ and ‘Material Girl’, Bon Jovi with ‘Always’ and Oasis with ‘Wonderwall’ and ‘Live Forever’. Sir Cliff Richard's hit 'Millennium Prayer' was voted the worst No.1 single of all time.

2007, Amy Winehouse pulled out of two Rolling Stones gigs in Hamburg Germany citing exhaustion, British group Starsailor replaced Winehouse for the shows.

2009, Guitarist Les Paul died in hospital in White Plains, New York at the age of 94 suffering from severe pneumonia. Paul is credited with developing one of the first solid-body electric guitars, which went on sale in 1952 and contributed to the birth of rock. He also developed other influential recording innovations such as multi-track recording and overdubbing. In the early 50s, Paul and his wife Mary Ford had a string of hits including 'Mockin' Bird Hill', 'How High the Moon', and 'Vaya Con Dios'.

2013, Jon Brookes, the drummer with The Charlatans died aged 44. He had suffered a seizure on tour with the band in 2010 and had been receiving treatment for a brain tumour. Another original band member, keyboardist Rob Collins, died in a car accident in 1996.

2014, 2014, ‘Rude’ the debut single by Canadian band Magic! was at No.1 on the US singles chart. It became the ninth best-selling song of 2014, with global sales of 8.6 million units, and won the Juno Award for Single of the Year.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-August-2018 at 11:16
Love the 1967 line up 👍

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 09:40
August 14th: On this Day

1958, Elvis Presley's mother Gladys died. At her funeral two days later Presley was so overcome with grief he was unable to stand and had to be supported. Over 500 police were at the service to keep the gigantic crowd at bay.

1962, Unhappy with drummer Pete Best's role in The Beatles Brian Epstein and the other three members decided to sack him. Best played his last gig the following night at The Cavern, Liverpool. Ringo Starr who was nearing the end of a three-month engagement with Rory Storm & the Hurricanes at a Butlin's holiday camp received a telephone call from John Lennon, asking him to join The Beatles. Ringo gave Rory Storm three days notice and on August 18, appeared as a member of The Beatles for the first time.

1964, US singer Johnny Burnette was killed in a boating accident on Clear Lake California, aged 30. His unlit boat was struck by an unaware cabin cruiser, the impact threw him off the boat and he drowned. Burnette scored the 1961 US No.8 & UK No.3 single 'Your Sixteen'.

1965, Sonny & Cher started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Got You Babe'. Sonny Bono is said to have been inspired to write the song to capitalize on the popularity of the term "babe," as heard in Bob Dylan'ss 'It Ain't Me Babe'.

1965, The Beatles taped an appearance for CBS-TV's The Ed Sullivan Show at Studio 50, New York City. They performed ‘I Feel Fine’, ‘I'm Down’, ‘Act Naturally’, ‘Ticket to Ride’, 'Yesterday' and ‘Help!’ Also today, The Beatles fifth album 'Help!' started a nine-week run at No.1 on the UK charts.

1966, Little Anthony & The Imperials, (Steve Van Zandt’s band), The Shadows and The Castiles (with Bruce Springsteen on vocals) all appeared at the Surf ‘n See Club in Seabright New Jersey.

1967, All UK offshore pirate radio stations were closed down when the marine broadcasting act came into force. Radio Caroline continued to broadcast until March 68.

1968, 'Fire' by The Crazy World of Arthur Brown was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. As part of his act Brown would perform the song on stage with his hat set alight!

1970, Stephen Stills was arrested on suspected drugs charges while staying at a San Diego Hotel after being found crawling along a corridor in an incoherent state. Still's was later freed on bail.

1970, The first day of the three day UK Yorkshire Folk, Blues & Jazz Festival at Krumlin, Yorkshire took place featuring Atomic Rooster, Pink Floyd, (who didn't appear after being fog bound at Paris Airport), The Kinks, Elton John, Mungo Jerry, Yes, Alan Price, Georgie Fame, Juicy Lucy, Pretty Things and The Groundhogs. Weekend tickets, £3.

1971, The Who released their fifth studio album Who's Next which featured the classic song 'Won't Get Fooled Again' and has since been viewed by critics as the Who's best record and one of the greatest rock albums of all time. The cover artwork shows a photo of the band apparently having just urinated on a large concrete piling, but according to photographer Ethan Russell, most of the band members were unable to urinate, so rainwater was tipped from an empty film canister to achieve the desired effect.

1976, Funded by a £400 loan, 'So It Goes' by Nick Lowe became the first record released on Stiff Records. The label's marketing and advertising was often provocative and witty billing itself as "The World's Most Flexible Record Label". Other slogans were "We came. We saw. We left", and "If It Ain't Stiff, It Ain't Worth a f**k".

1985, Michael Jackson won a bid over Yoko Ono and Paul McCartney to secure the ATV Music Publishing catalogue. At $47.5m he gained the rights to more than 250 songs written by Lennon and McCartney. McCartney had been negotiating with Yoko Ono, who had decided to withdraw her side of the deal because of 'astrological' reasons.

1988, Lead singer, poet and frontman of Hawkwind Robert Calvert died of a heart attack. He was a member of Hawkwind from 1972-1979 during which time he co-wrote their hit single 'Silver Machine' and directed their Space Ritual Tour.

1988, Guitarist Roy Buchanan died after hanging himself with his own shirt in Fairfax County Adult Detention Center having been arrested for drunkenness. Buchanan released over 15 solo albums; Jeff Beck dedicated the song 'Cause We've Ended As Lovers' to Buchanan in 1975 on his Blow by Blow album.

1992, Tony Williams lead singer with The Platters died in his sleep of emphysema aged 64. He sang most of the group's hits up until 1961 when he was replaced by Sonny Turner. Had the 1959 UK & US No.1 single 'Smoke Gets In Your Eyes'.

1993, Freddie Mercury had his first solo UK No.1 single with 'Living On My Own'. The song had been a minor hit in 1985 when released from his solo album Mr. Bad Guy, this remixed version was reissued.

1995, Foo Fighters made their network television debut on The Late Show with David Letterman when they performed their new single 'This Is A Call'.

1999, Ronan Keating had the UK No.1 single with 'When You Say Nothing At All'. The debut solo single from the Boyzone lead singer. The song was from the film Notting Hill.

2001, A pizza-stained piece of paper signed by three of the four Beatles sold for $48,000 (£17,441) to an anonymous collector at an auction in Melbourne. John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison all signed the paper during their 1964 tour of Australia. Drummer Ringo Starr had laryngitis and was not on the tour. A fan managed to get the autographs while the band was staying in a hotel in Adelaide.

2002, Dave Williams lead singer of US heavy rock band Drowning Pool was found dead on the band's tour bus during Ozzy Osbourne's Ozzfest tour in Manassas, Virginia. The autopsy concluded that he suffered from a form of heart disease. The bands debut album, Sinner, had sold over 1 million copies in the US since its release in June 2001.

2003, One True Voice the boyband formed from the ITV1 pop talent show Popstars: The Rivals split up. The group were formed alongside Girls Aloud after winning their places in the Popstars: the Rivals series. One True Voice were later voted Britain's worst group in a poll just a day after their tour was cancelled due to poor ticket sales.

2005, James Blunt topped both the UK singles chart (with 'You're Beautiful'), and album charts ('Back to Bedlam'), for a fifth week in a row, a feat last achieved by Celine Dion. Her single ‘Think Twice’ and album ‘Colour Of My Love’ topped both charts simultaneously for five weeks in 1995.

2005, Babyshambles frontman Pete Doherty was forced to endure an all-body strip search at Gardermoen Airport in Norway after being held by customs officers for three hours while they ensured he was carrying no drugs.

2005, Faith Hill was at No.1 on the US chart with 'Fireflies', Hill's third consecutive album to debut at number 1 on both the country and Billboard album charts.

2006, Boy George was seen sweeping streets in New York as part of a five-day community service sentence. The former Culture Club frontman was moved into a fenced-off area after only 30 minutes after he was mobbed by the media. The 45-year-old singer was found guilty of wasting police time earlier this year and was threatened with jail if he failed to complete the court-imposed sentence.

2008, Lita Roza died in Liverpool, England. She had the 1953 No.1 hit with her version on the of Patti Page hit ‘How Much Is That Doggie In The Window’’ Roza was the first British female singer to top the UK singles charts.

2009, George Michael was arrested and held on suspicion of driving under the influence of drink or drugs after his Land Rover was in collision with a lorry on the A34 in Berkshire. The singer was later released without charge.

2015, Jazz Summers, manager of bands such as Wham!, Snow Patrol, Scissor Sisters and The Verve, died from lung cancer. He co-managed Wham! and is credited with the duo breaking into the United States market in 1985 and to go onto to become the first western pop group to tour China.

2015, American record producer Bob Johnston died aged 83. Johnson produced a string of notable and highly influential albums including; Bob Dylan: Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, John Wesley Harding, Nashville Skyline, Self Portrait, New Morning, as well as Simon & Garfunkel: Sounds of Silence, Leonard Cohen: Songs from a Room and many others.

2016, American keyboard and synthesizer player James Woolley died at the age of 49. Woolley was known for his playing with industrial metal group Nine Inch Nails as well as Rob Halford's one-time band 2wo, which also included John 5 of Marilyn Manson.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 10:50
I often wondered what Pete Best did to get sacked from the Beatles? Or did he just not look the part? Or did he actually leave of his own volition? 🤔
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 12:15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-August-2018 at 12:48
Ah that's brilliant Poguey, thanks very much for that. Another one of the many, many gaps in my musical knowledge plugged. To be honest, it's easy to believe there was some bit of jealousy onthe part of the band maybe - Best was about a million times better looking than the rest of them put together. I can see why they would have wanted Ringo instead
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2018 at 09:16
August 16th: On this Day

1958, After being drafted in the US Army, Elvis Presley was assigned to the 3rd Armored Division in Friedberg, West Germany. On the anniversary of his death today in 1977, listen to how the world's most popular recording artist adapted to military life and kept his career on track.

1962, Little Stevie Wonder (aged 12), released his first single, 'I Call It Pretty Music, (But The Old People Call It The Blues)', the single featured Marvin Gaye on drums.

1962, Brian Epstein told Pete Best that the other Beatles wanted him out of the group, and that he was being replaced. Epstein then asked Best to perform with The Beatles that night at the Riverpark Ballroom in Chester, Cheshire. Pete Best does not show up, drummer Johnny Hutchinson of The Big Three filled in the temporary vacancy.

1968, The Jackson Five made their formal debut with Diana Ross and The Supremes at the Great Western Forum, California.

1968, Working at Abbey Road studios on The White Album, The Beatles recorded 14 takes of the new George Harrison song 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps', taking the song from its early acoustic version into an electric version.

1968, Bruce Springsteen's new band Earth made their live debut at the Off Broad Street Coffee House in Red Bank, New Jersey, admission was 75c. The lineup of the group consisted of Springsteen (guitars & vocals), John Graham (bass), Michael Burke (drums) and ‘Flash Craig’ (organ). The group only had a 6-month existence.

1969, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young supported by Joni Mitchell appeared at the Auditorium Theater in Chicago, Illinois.

1969, During a North American tour Led Zeppelin appeared at the Convention Hall in Asbury Park with Joe Cocker as support. Zeppelin had been asked to perform at Woodstock but due to this gig commitment were unable to attend. And down the road Bruce Springsteen's band Child played the first of two shows over two days at the Student Prince, Ashbury Park. Springsteen was also unable to attend Woodstock due to these gigs.

1969, Hippie leader Abbie Hoffman was knocked offstage by Pete Townshend while attempting to make a political statement during The Who's set at Woodstock. Later, Townshend said he didn't know it was Hoffman at the time.

1970, This week's UK Top 5 singles: No.5, Free, 'All Right Now', No.4, Shirley Bassey, 'Something', No.3, Hotlegs, 'Neanderthal Man', No.2, The Kinks, 'Lola' and No.1, Elvis Presley, 'The Wonder Of You', (his 16th UK No.1).

1970, The final day of the three day UK Yorkshire Folk, Blues & Jazz Festival at Krumlin, Yorkshire took place featuring The Kinks, Mungo Jerry, Yes, Ginger Bakers Air Force and Edgar Winter. Weekend tickets, £3.

1975, The Stylistics were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Can't Give You Anything (But My Love)', the Philadelphian soul group's only UK No.1.

1975, Peter Gabriel announced that he was leaving Genesis. The group auditioned more than 400 singers during the next 18 months before deciding that Phil Collins, who had been the drummer for Genesis since 1970, could front the band.

1977, Elvis Presley was found dead lying on the floor in his bathroom by his girlfriend Ginger Alden, he had been seated on the toilet reading 'The Scientific Search For Jesus'. He died of heart failure at the age of 42. His first record for RCA, 'Heartbreak Hotel' was also his first US No.1. He starred in 31 films. Elvis holds the record for the most entries on the US Hot 100 chart with 154. Elvis became the first rock 'n' roll artist to be honoured by the US Postal Service with a stamp.

1979, The biggest single of the summer in the US, The Knack's 'My Sharona' was awarded a Gold record for selling one million copies. The Knack's Doug Fieger wrote the song for his girlfriend, Sharona Alperin, whose picture appeared on the single's cover.

1983, After dating for six years, Paul Simon married actress Carrie Fisher, who played Princess Leia in the first Star Wars trilogy. The marriage would last less than two years, but the two continued to date off and on after they split.

1986, Madonna started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Papa Don't Preach.' The singers fourth US No.1, & No.1 in the UK. Also on this day Madonna went to No.1 on the US album chart with 'True Blue'.

1988, KISS played at The Marquee Club in London, England on their current 129-date Crazy Nights world tour.

1997, On the 20th anniversary of Elvis Presley death over 30,000 fans descended on Memphis Tennessee for a 10-minute mourning circuit circling his grave. A poll found that almost a third of the fans were keeping an eye out for him in the crowd.

1997, Will Smith started a four-week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Men In Black' taken from the film of the same name. The song won Smith a Grammy in 1997 for Best Rap Solo Performance.

1997, Blur, Prodigy, Beck, Kula Shaker, Dodgy, Foo Fighters, Placebo, James, Ash, Dodgy and Gene all appeared at the two day V97 UK festival in Chelmsford and Leeds, weekend tickets, £50.

2000, Alan Caddy guitarist with The Tornadoes died. He had the 1962 UK & US No.1 single 'Telstar' which became the first major hit from a UK act on the American chart. Caddy also played on sessions and worked on arrangements for Spencer Davis Group, Kiki Dee, Pretty Things and Dusty Springfield.

2005, Madonna suffered three cracked ribs, a broken collarbone and a broken hand in a horse-riding accident on her country estate. The accident happened when she fell off a new horse in the grounds of her Ashcombe House on the border of Wiltshire and Dorset on her 47th birthday. The singer was treated at hospital in Salisbury, 90 miles (150 kilometres) south-west of London.

2005, P Diddy appeared on the US TV Today Show and announced that he was altering his stage name again, dropping the "P." and referring to himself simply as "Diddy." The name change to Diddy upset Richard "Diddy" Dearlove, a London based DJ who took out court proceedings against P Diddy over the use of the name. He won when an out of court settlement of £110,000 was agreed and as a result, Combs is no longer be able to use the name Diddy in the UK.

2007, A fan of the 1980s pop band Wham! was silenced after becoming the first noise nuisance to be prosecuted by Newcastle city council's night watch team. Brian Turner had tormented neighbours by playing their hit song 'Last Christmas' all night at full volume from 1am onwards. Magistrates fined Turner, of Sandyford, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, £200 and ordered him to pay £215 costs.

2015, One Direction were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Drag Me Down'. It was the band's first single since Zayn Malik's departure earlier in this year The track won the fan-voted 'Best Video Award' at the 2016 Brit Awards.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2018 at 13:21
Look at the top 5 in 1970.

Pure magic.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2018 at 13:23
The 1969 entries are tasty as well.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
ShortHairHippie View Drop Down
86-present

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ShortHairHippie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2018 at 14:00
Elvis Presley 41 years gone today,Ronnie Drew 10 years gone today
upon us all,a little rain must fall
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-August-2018 at 15:43
And now Aretha Franklin. 
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 53>