Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

On This Day

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 53>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 15:41
April 18th: On this Day

1964, The Beatles appeared on the UK TV comedy program The Morecambe and Wise Show, playing ‘This Boy’, ‘All My Loving’, and ‘I Want to Hold Your Hand’ and also participate in comedy sketches with Eric Morecambe and Ernie Wise. The Beatles also held the UK and US No.1 position on this day with 'Can't Buy Me Love'.

1970, Steel Mill, (featuring Bruce Springsteen) played in the Main Gym at Ocean County College in New Jersey. Tickets cost $2.00.

1975, Four Bay City Rollers fans were taken to hospital and 35 others required on site treatment after they attempted to swim across a lake to meet their heroes. The group were making an appearance at a BBC Radio 1 fun day at Mallory Park.

1984, Michael Jackson underwent surgery in a Los Angeles hospital to repair damage done after his hair caught fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial.

1985, Wham! Became the first-ever Western pop act to have an album released in China.

1987, Aretha Franklin and George Michael started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Knew You Were Waiting' also a No.1 in the UK. Aretha Franklin set a record for the artist with the longest gap between US No.1 singles, it had been 19 years, 10 months from her last hit 'Respect' in June 1967.

1992, Def Leppard started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with 'Adrenalize.'

1992, Annie Lennox went to No.1 on the UK album chart with her debut solo release 'Diva.'

1995, Oasis drummer Tony McCarrol was told by phone that he was being sacked from the group. McCarrol sued the Manchester group for millions in unpaid royalties and in 1996 Oasis agreed to pay him a one-off sum of £550,000 ($935,000).

1996, Bernard Edwards bass guitarist and producer from Chic, died of pneumonia in a Tokyo Hotel room while touring Japan. Also worked with ABC, Power Station, Sister Sledge, Sheila and B. Devotion, Diana Ross, Johnny Mathis, Debbie Harry, Air Supply, and Rod Stewart.

2004, R&B singer from New York Eamon started a four week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'f**k It, (I Don't Want You Back)' his debut single. The song earned a listing on the Guinness World Record for "the most expletives in a No.1 song", with 33.

2005, Reebok pulled a UK TV ad featuring 50 Cent after a mother whose son was shot dead complained it glamorised gun crime. Lucy Cope, from London went to the Advertising Standards Authority about the campaign featuring the US rapper. The ASA had been investigating 54 other complaints from viewers over a reference to the rapper having been shot nine times.

2006, A sale of clothes belonging to Sir Elton John raised more than $700,000 (£395,000) for the singer's Aids charity. Over 10,000 pieces were sold during a five-day sale in New York City at the specially-created shop, Elton's Closet, at New York's Rockefeller Centre.

2006, A line from U2's 1992 hit 'One' was voted the UK's favourite song lyric after in a poll of 13,000 people by music channel VH1. The line "One life, with each other, sisters, brothers" came top. The Smiths lyric "So you go, and you stand on your own, and you leave on your own, and you go home, and you cry, and you want to die" from the song 'How Soon is Now' came second in the poll, followed by "I feel stupid and contagious, here we are now, entertain us", from Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' which was voted into third place.

2012, An original and extremely rare 1963 mono copy of The Beatles ‘Please Please Me’ album, signed by the Fab Four, sold on an eBay auction for nearly $25,000. Paul McCartney and John Lennon both signed their names with “love” in royal blue ink whereas George Harrison and Ringo Starr signed their names in midnight blue ink. The autographs were signed in May of 1963.

2013, Storm Thorgerson, whose album cover artwork includes Pink Floyd's The Dark Side of The Moon died aged 69. A childhood friend of the founding members of the band, he became their designer-in-chief. His credits also include albums by Led Zeppelin, Peter Gabriel and Muse. In 2003, Thorgerson suffered a stroke, from which he recovered. He was later diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer, which he battled for several years.

2015, Green Day was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a part of the 2015 class, in their first year of eligibility.

2017, Numerous opioid painkillers were found at US singer Prince's home shortly after his death last year, unsealed court documents show. Some of the pills discovered at Prince's Paisley Park estate in Minnesota had prescriptions in the name of his friend and bodyguard. But the documents do not offer evidence about the source of the fentanyl that killed the singer on 21 April 2016.

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Sponsored Links

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2018 at 15:42
April 18th: Born on this day

1935, Born on this day, Paul A. Rothchild, American record producer, worked with The Doors, 'Break on Through (To the Other Side)', 'Light My Fire', 'People Are Strange'), Janis Joplin, (No.1 album Pearl and her only No.1 single, 'Me and Bobby McGee'). Crosby, Stills, & Nash, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Love. Rothchild died March 30, 1995.

1939, Born on this day, Glen D.Hardin, from American rock and roll band The Crickets, who had the 1957 US No.1 single 'That'll Be The Day', the 1959 UK No.1 single 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore' plus over 15 other UK Top 40 singles.

1942, Born on this day, Mike Vickers, British musician who came to prominence as guitarist, flautist and saxophonist with Manfred Mann, who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy'.

1944, Born on this day, Skip Spence, Canadian-born American musician and singer-songwriter. He was co-founder of Moby Grape, in an early line-up of Quicksilver Messenger Service, and was the drummer on Jefferson Airplane's debut album, Jefferson Airplane Takes Off. He died on 16th April 1999.

1958, Born on this day, Andy Kyriacou, from British pop band Modern Romance who had the 1982 UK No.4 single 'Best Years Of Our Lives' and a string of UK hits.

1958, Born on this day, English musician Les Pattinson, best known for being a member of Echo & the Bunnymen who had the 1983 UK No.8 single 'The Cutter' and the single 'The Killing Moon'.

1962, Born on this day, Shirlie Holliman, English singer, who sang with Wham! on their 1982 UK No.3 single 'Young Guns, (Go For It') and was a member of Pepsi & Shirlie. She is married to Martin Kemp of Spandau Ballet.

1964, Born on this day, Mark 'Bez' Berry, with English alternative rock band Happy Mondays who had the 1990 UK No.5 single 'Step On' and the 1990 hit Kinky Afro'. And with Black Grape had the 1995 UK No.8 single 'In The Name Of The Father'.

1970, Born on this day, Greg Eklund, drummer from American rock band Everclear. The band found success with their first three albums Sparkle and Fade, So Much for the Afterglow, and Songs from an American Movie Vol. One:

1974, Born on this day, Mark Tremonti, lead guitarist from American rock band Creed, who had the 2001 US No.1 & UK No.13 single 'With Arms Wide Open' and the 2002 US No.1 album, Weathered.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2018 at 00:59
April 19th: On this day
1965, The film T.A.M.I. (Teen-Age Music International) Show featuring The Rolling Stones, The Supremes, Four Tops, James Brown, The Beach Boys and Smokey Robinson & The Miracles opened in London, England under the title Teenage Command Performance.
1965, The Beatles single 'Ticket to Ride' was released on Capitol records in the US. The single's label stated that the song was from the upcoming movie 'Eight Arms to Hold You' (the original name for the movie 'Help!').
1968, John Lennon, George Harrison and their wives left the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's ashram in Rishikesh, India two weeks before their study was complete. Ringo and Paul had already left.
1968, Pink Floyd released their fourth UK single 'It Would Be So Nice', written by Richard Wright with Roger Waters' 'Julia Dream' on the B-side. Pink Floyd were on tour in Europe on this day, and played their second night at the Piper Club, in Rome, Italy.
1969, Smile (later to be known as Queen ) appeared at the Revolution Club in London, England.
1974, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band appeared at the State Theatre in New Brunswick, New Jersey. The gig was unadvertised by its promoter, who gambled that word-of-mouth would be enough to fill the 550-seat venue, only 250 people attended. Tickets cost $4.50 and $5.50 in advance.
1980, Blondie went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Call Me', featured in the Richard Gere movie 'American Gigolo', the track was also a No.1 in the UK.
1980, 32 year old English singer Brian Johnson joined Australian group AC/DC, replacing Bon Scott who had died after a drinks binge in February 1980. Johnson's first band was the Gobi Desert Canoe Club. He was also in a band called Fresh. From 1970, Johnson played with cabaret/club band The Jasper Hart Band, performing songs from the musical Hair. He and other members of the band went on to form Geordie.
1980, For the first time ever the Top five artists on the US country chart were all female, Crystal Gayle who was at No.1, with Dottie West, Debbie Boone, Emmylou Harris and Tammy Wynette making up the rest of the Top 5.
1980, R.E.M. played their first gig as R.E.M. at the 11:11 Koffee Club, Athens, Georgia to 150 people. The show ended at 2am when police closed it down due to the venue being unlicensed.
1985, Bryan Adams was on the UK album chart with Reckelss. His fourth studio album was the first Canadian album to sell more than one million units within Canada. Six singles were released from the album: ‘Run to You,’ ‘Somebody,’ ‘Heaven,’ ‘Summer of '69,’ ‘One Night Love Affair,’ and ‘It's Only Love.’ All six singles made the top 15 on the US Billboard Hot 100, a feat that at the time had been accomplished previously only by Michael Jackson's Thriller.
1986, George Michael was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'A Different Corner', the singers second solo No.1. Michael became the first solo act in the history of the UK chart to reach No.1 with his first two releases. The song was also credited with being the second No.1 (after 'I Just Called To Say I Love You' by Stevie Wonder), which was written, sung, played, arranged and produced by the same person.
1986, Prince started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Kiss.' Prince also had the No.2 song 'Manic Monday', by The Bangles, which he wrote under the pseudonym 'Christopher.'
1993, American saxophonist and flautist Steve Douglas died aged 54. He recorded with Duane Eddy, Aretha Franklin, Elvis Presley Willy DeVille, Bob Dylan Ramones and others.
1995, The Stone Roses played their first gig in five years when the appeared at The Rockefeller Club, Oslo, Norway.
1997, Michael Jackson attended an unveiling of a wax statue of himself at the Grevin Museum of Wax in Paris, France. Jackson provided one of his own outfits to dress the figure.
1998, Robbie Williams started a two-week run at No.1 on the UK album chart with his debut solo album Life Thru A Lens. The album spent a total of 218 weeks on the UK chart, with sales of 2.4 million copies.
2000, Phil Collins won £250,000 in a high court case over royalties with two former members of his band. The judge ruled that they had been overpaid in error but because the two musicians had no other income they would not have to pay it back.
2002, Police were investigating how tracks from the forthcoming Oasis album 'Heathen Chemistry' had been illegally circulated on the Internet. They thought the person responsible had access to their private recording sessions.
2003, The oldest working musician in Britain, Conrad Leonard died aged 104. Composer and pianist Leonard had worked with Cole Porter, Petula Clark and at the BBC during his career. Until the age of 103 years, he played the piano every Thursday at lunchtime in the Plantation Cafe at Squire's Garden Centre in Twickenham.
2005, It was announced that two 30-second television commercials designed to attract vacationing families to Graceland to experience the "real" Elvis Presley would air nationally in the US starting in April 2006. It was the first time in the history of Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. that the company has used television advertising to promote Graceland tourism.
2005, Richard Lewis American tenor with The Silhouettes died. The doo wop/R&B groups single 'Get A Job' was a No.1 hit on the Billboard R&B singles chart and pop singles chart in 1958. The doo-wop revival group Sha Na Na derived their name from the song's lyrics. 'Get A Job' is included in the soundtracks of the film American Graffiti, Trading Places and Stand By Me. The Silhouettes performed in the 1986 movie Joey.
2010, A week after Catholic Church officials published an article in the Vatican's L'Osservatore Romano newspaper that said they forgive John Lennon's remarks about The Beatles being "bigger than Jesus", Ringo Starr rejected their forgiveness. The newspaper's editors had written, "The Beatles said they were bigger than Jesus and put out mysterious messages, that were possibly even Satanic... (but) what would Pop music be like without the Beatles?" Ringo was unimpressed and replied "Didn't the Vatican say we were Satanic or possibly Satanic? And they've still forgiven us? I think the Vatican, they've got more to talk about than the Beatles."
2012, Levon Helm, died of throat cancer aged 71. A drummer, singer and multi-instrumentalist, Helm formed his own high school band, the Jungle Bush Beaters, at 17, he later joined The Hawks (who became Bob Dylan's backing group) who then became known as The Band. He sang on Band classics like 'The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down,' 'Up on Cripple Creek,' 'Rag Mama Rag,' and 'The Weight.'
2012, Leonard Cohen's former manager was jailed for 18 months for harassing the singer-songwriter. Kelley Lynch was found guilty by a Los Angeles court after a sending a torrent of expletive-strewn emails and letters to the star. She was also sentenced to five months probation and ordered to attend anger-management courses. Cohen thanked the court for the "even-handed and elegant manner in which these proceedings have unfolded".
2014, The White House refused to comment on a campaign to deport Justin Bieber from the US. Around 275,000 people had signed a petition on its website calling for the Canadian singer to be removed from the country. The campaign had been set up in January of this year when the 20-year-old was arrested on suspicion of drink and drug-driving and illegal drag racing.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2018 at 01:00
April 19th: Born on this day
1928, Born on this day, Alexis Korner, blues singer, musician. He was a major force behind the UK R&B scene, and formed Blues Incorporated with Charlie Watts. Later he had hits with CCS, (1971 UK No.5 single 'Tap Turns On The Water'). He was also a writer and radio presenter. Korner died on January 1st 1984.
1942, Born on this day, English musician Alan Price, keyboards with The Animals who had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'House Of The Rising Sun'). As a solo artsit he scored the 1967 UK No.4 single 'Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear'.
1942, Born on this day, South African producer and engineer Eddie Kramer who has worked with many artists including The Beatles, (Magical Mystery Tour), David Bowie, (Young Americans), Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, The Kinks, Led Zeppelin, (engineered five albums), The Rolling Stones and Carlos Santana. Kramer and his crew attended the 1969 Woodstock Festival where they recorded the entire festival.
1943, Born on this day, Scottish singer Eve Graham from The New Seekers who had the 1972 UK No.1 and US No.7 single 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing' and hits with 'You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me' and 'Beg, Steal or Borrow'.
1944, Born on this day, Bernie Worrell, American keyboardist and composer best known as a founding member of Parliament-Funkadelic and for his work with Talking Heads. Worrell died on June 24, 2016, at the age of 72.
1947, Born on this day, American guitarist Mark Volman, from the The Turtles who had the US 1967 No.1 single 'Happy Together' and the 1967 hit 'She'd Rather Be with Me'. He later worked with Frank Zappa, alongside his friend and partner Howard Kaylan who used the stage names of Flo & Eddie.
1956, Born on this day, Gary Langan from English avant-garde synth-pop group Art of Noise who had the 1988 UK No.5 single 'Kiss' with Tom Jones.
1956, Born on this day, English singer Tony Martin, best known for his time fronting Black Sabbath, initially from 1987 to 1991 and again from 1993 to 1997. Martin was the band's second longest serving vocalist after Ozzy Osbourne.
1966, Born on this day, Marion Hugh "Suge" Knight Jr. American record producer, music executive. He is the co-founder and former CEO of Death Row Records. Death Row Records rose to dominate the rap charts after Dr. Dre's breakthrough album The Chronic in 1992. After several years of chart successes for artists including Tupac Shakur, Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, Outlawz and Tha Dogg Pound, Death Row Records stagnated after Knight's incarceration on probation violation charges in September 1996 and went bankrupt in 2006. In February 2015, Knight was charged with murder and attempted murder following a fatal hit-and-run in Compton, California.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2018 at 13:13
April 20th: On this Day

1957, Elvis Presley started an eight week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'All Shook Up.' It went on to be the biggest single of 1957 selling over 2 million copies.

1959, Goldband Records released 'Puppy Love' by a 13-year old Dolly Parton in the US, a song that was recorded two years earlier when she was just eleven years old. The song didn't chart, (later to be a hit for Donny Osmond ).

1966, During a 12 hour session at Abbey Road studios in London The Beatles worked on a new John Lennon song 'And Your Bird Can Sing', and a new George Harrison song 'Taxman'.

1968, Deep Purple made their live debut at a gig in Tastrup, Denmark. Formerly known as Roundabout, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore suggested a new name: Deep Purple, named after his grandmother's favourite song (which had been a hit for Peter De Rose), after his grandmother had repeatedly asked if they would be performing the song.

1968, Apple Music ran advertisements soliciting tapes from unknown artists, offering financial grants as part of a deal to release records on the Apple label. Artists such as Badfinger, James Taylor, Mary Hopkin, Jackie Lomax, David Peel and Elephant's Memory were signed up.

1969, Session drummer Benny Benjamin died. One of 'The Funk Brothers' played on many Tamla Motown hits including, The Four Tops, Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes and Stevie Wonder. The film 'Standing In The Shadows Of Motown' released in 2003 features his work.

1979, Lighting director Billy Duffy was killed in an accident during a Kate Bush concert in Southampton, England. 21-year old Duffy fell twenty feet through an open trap door on the stage. Kate Bush held a benefit concert on 12th May with Peter Gabriel and Steve Harley at London's Hammersmith Odeon for his family.

1980, 84 year old George Burns, who starred in the movie Oh God with John Denver, became the oldest person to have a hit on the Billboard Hot 100 when 'I Wish I Was 18 Again' peaked at No.49. When asked if he wished he were 18 again, Burns replied "I wish I was 80 again." Before this, his most recent charting record had been a spoken word comedy routine with his wife and partner Gracie Allen in the summer of 1933.

1981, John Phillips of The Mamas & the Papas was jailed for five years after pleading guilty to drug possession charges; the sentence was suspended after 30 days. Phillips started touring the US lecturing against the dangers of taking drugs.

1985, The charity record 'We Are The World' by USA For Africa was at No.1 on the UK singles chart. The US artists' answer to Band Aid had an all-star cast including Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, Diana Ross, Bob Dylan, Daryl Hall, Huey Lewis, Ray Charles, Billy Joel and Paul Simon plus the composer's of the track, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie.

1987, A record store in Callaway, Florida was forced to closed down and a part-time clerk was arrested after selling a copy of '2 Live Is What We Are' by 2 Live Crew to a 14 year old boy. Officials had deemed the recording "obscene" because of its pornographic lyrics.

1991, Steve Marriott leader of Small Faces and Humble Pie, died in a fire at his home in Essex. His work became a major influence for many 90s bands. Small Faces had the 1967 UK No.3 & US No.16 single 'Itchycoo Park', plus 1968 No.1 UK album 'Ogden's Nut Gone Flake', Humble Pie, 1969 UK No.4 single 'Natural Born Bugie'. As a child actor he played parts in Dixon of Dock Green and The Artful Dodger in Oliver.

1992, 'A Concert For Life' took place at Wembley Stadium as a tribute to Queen singer Freddie Mercury and for aids awareness. Acts appearing included; Elton John, Roger Daltrey, Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath), David Bowie, Mick Ronson, James Hetfield, George Michael, Seal, Paul Young, Annie Lennox, Lisa Stansfield, Robert Plant, Joe Elliott and Phil Collen, Axl Rose and Slash.

1993, Aerosmith released 'Get A Grip' their 11th studio album which became their best selling album to date with sales over 20m. The album which featured the hits: 'Livin' On The Edge' and 'Crazy' also featured guests Don Henley and Lenny Kravitz.

1996, English R&B singer Mark Morrison had his first UK No.1 single when 'Return Of The Mack' started a two-week run at the top of the charts. A No.2 hit in the US, the beat was sampled from Tom Tom Club's 'Genius of Love.'

2001, A memorial concert for former Small Faces and Humble Pie front man Steve Marriott took place at the London Astoria with Peter Frampton, Midge Ure, Chris Farlowe and Humble Pie.

2002, American singer Alan Dale died. During the 50s he had his own US TV & radio show, had the 1955 US No.7 single 'Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White.'

2002, In the dispute over who owned the rights to Nirvana's recordings former members Dave Grohl and Kirst Novoselic asked a Seattle Court to prove that Courtney Love was mentally stable. They told the court that Love was 'irrational, mercurial, self-centred, unmanageable, inconsistent and unpredictable.' They also claimed a contract was invalid because Love was 'stoned' at the time.

2006, Babyshambles singer Pete Doherty was arrested in east London on suspicion of drugs possession only hours after a court appearance. Doherty had earlier admitted to seven charges of possessing drugs when he appeared before magistrates in east London. He was given a community order with two years supervision and 18 months drug rehabilitation and was also banned from driving for six months.

2012, Bert Weedon, whose Play in a Day guitar guide set some of the biggest names in rock and roll on the road to greatness, died, aged 91. Play in a Day, released in 1957, sold over two million copies and helped inspire a generation of budding musicians including Eric Clapton, Brian May of Queen and the late John Lennon.

April 20th: Born on this day

1939, Born on this day, American singer-songwriter Johnny Tillotson who had the 1960 US No.2 and 1961 UK No.1 single 'Poetry In Motion'. He enjoyed his greatest success in the early 1960s, when he scored nine top-ten hits.

1945, Born on this day, English musician Jimmy Winston who was the original keyboard player with Small Faces, (he left in Nov 1965).

1948, Born on this day, Craig Frost, keyboardist for 1970s hard rock band Grand Funk Railroad who had the US No.1 single with their version of 'The Loco-Motion' which was produced by Todd Rundgren and is also a member with Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band.

1948, Born on this day, American multi-instrumental musician Rob Stoner. His work can be heard on Don McLean's classic 'American Pie'. In the summer of 1975 he was hired as bandleader, opening act and bass player in Bob Dylan's band and has also worked with many other artists as well as Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr, Chuck Berry, Lou Reed and Joni Mitchell.

1951, Born on this day, American singer, songwriter Luther Vandross who scored the 1989 UK No.13 single 'Never Too Much', first released 1983, and the US N0.10 and UK No.2 single with Janet Jackson 'The Best Things In Life Are Free'. Vandross also worked with David Bowie, Mariah Carey. Vandross died on 1st July 2005 aged 54 two years after suffering a major stroke.

1971, Born on this day, Mikey Welsh, bassist from American rock band Weezer who had the 1995 UK No.12 single, 'Buddy Holly'. Weezer achieved mainstream success, helped by music videos directed by Spike Jonze.

1972, Born on this day, Stephen Marley from Ziggy Marley & The Melody Makers who had the 1988 UK hit single 'Tomorrow People'. The Jamaican American musician is the son of Bob Marley and his wife Rita Marley. His 2011 album Revelation Pt. 1 – The Root of Life won the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album in 2012.

1972, Born on this day Carmen Electra, The Pussycat Dolls, (2005, US No.2 & UK No.1 with their debut single ‘Don't Cha’ featuring Busta Rhymes). The Pussycat Dolls became only the fourth ever girl band to enter the UK charts at No.1 with their debut single. (The other’s being the Spice Girls, B*Witched and Girls Aloud). Carmen has appeared in Playboy magazine and Baywatch and MTV's Singled Out.

1978, Born on this day, Clay Cook American musician with the Grammy Award winning country music group, Zac Brown Band. Their 2015 album Jekyll + Hyde which debuted at No.1 on the US chart featured the single 'Heavy Is the Head' with vocals from Chris Cornell.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-April-2018 at 09:58
April 21st: On this Day

1958, US country music singer Marvin Rainwater was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Whole Lotta Woman'. Rainwater was a full-blooded Cherokee Indian, known for wearing Native American-themed outfits on stage.

1962, Elvis Presley started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Good Luck Charm', his fifth US No.1 of the 60s. Also an UK No.1 hit.

1967, Working at Abbey Road studios in London, The Beatles completed the sessions for Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The final recordings were a short section of gibberish and noise which would follow 'A Day in the Life', in the run-out groove. They recorded assorted noises and voices, which engineer Geoff Emerick then cut-up and randomly re-assembled and edits backwards. At John Lennon's suggestion, they also added a high-pitch 15 kilocycle whistle audible only by dogs. These were omitted from the American version of the album.

1969, Janis Joplin appeared at The Royal Albert Hall, London, (her first London appearance). The opening act was Yes.

1970, Tyrannosaurus Rex, Spooky Tooth, Jackie Lomax, Elton John (making his solo concert debut) and Heavy Jelly all appeared at The Roundhouse, London, tickets cost 25 shillings.

1973, Tony Orlando & Dawn started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Tie A Yellow Ribbon Round The Old Oak Tree', (it became the biggest seller of 1973, selling over 6 million copies). The song was based on a true story of a prisoner who wrote to his wife asking her to tie a yellow ribbon around an oak tree in the town square in White Oak, Georgia, if she still loved him.

1976, Women Against Violence Against Women called for a boycott of all Warner Communications albums because of the promotional campaign for The Rolling Stones' new album Black and Blue. The album was being promoted with a controversial advertising campaign that depicted the model Anita Russell, bruised and bound, under the phrase ‘I'm Black and Blue from the Rolling Stones - and I love it!’

1978, UK folk singer Sandy Denny died aged 31. While on holiday with her parents in Cornwall, England, Denny was injured in a fall down a staircase. A month after the fall she collapsed at a friend's home; four days later she died in Hospital, her death was ruled to be the result of a traumatic mid-brain hemorrhage. She was a member of Fairport Convention and a solo artist. Her 1967 song 'Who Knows Where the Time Goes', was covered by Judy Collins. Denny sang on the Led Zeppelin track 'Battle Of Evermore' on the bands fourth album, (the only guest vocalist on a Led Zeppelin album).

1982, Clash frontman Joe Strummer disappeared for three weeks, which resulted in the group cancelling a tour. The singer was found living rough in Paris, France.

1984, Phil Collins started a three week run at No.1 in the US singles chart with the theme from 'Against All Odds'. It was Phil's first US No.1, a No. 2 in the UK.

1990, Paul McCartney played in front of 184,000 fans at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Jnaeiro, creating a new world record for the largest crowd attending a rock concert.

1990, Sinead O'Connor started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with her version of the Prince song 'Nothing Compares To You'. The track was also a No.1 hit in 18 other countries. The video was shot in Paris, and consists almost solely of a close-up on O'Connor's face as she sings the lyrics. Towards the end of the video, two tears roll down her face. The clip won Best Video at the 1990 MTV Video Music Awards - the first video by a female artist to win in this category.

2000, Neal Matthews of The Jordanaires died of a heart attack. Sang on Presley's 'Don't Be Cruel' and 'Hound Dog.' Also worked with Ricky Nelson, Patsy Cline, Red Foley, Johnny Horton, Jim Reeves, George Jones, Marie Osmond, Tom Jones and Merle Haggard.

2001, R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck was charged by police at Heathrow airport with being drunk on an aircraft and assaulting British Airways crew. Buck was taken into custody after landing on a flight from Seattle and questioned by police for 12 hours.

2002, Oasis went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Hindu Times', the bands sixth UK No.1 and the first single to be released from their fifth album Heathen Chemistry.

2004, Former Pogues frontman Shane MacGowan was attacked in a London pub. The singer was assaulted at the Joiner's Arms pub in central London and suffered a fractured cheekbone after being kicked, punched and hit with a metal bar. Two men, aged 20 and 21, were arrested and later released on bail.

2007, Doris Richards died of cancer. The 91-year-old mother of Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards bought her son his first guitar for his 15th birthday. He learned some chords from her father, Gus Dupree, a musician who instilled him with an early passion for music.

2008, American soul singer and songwriter Al Wilson died of kidney failure at the age of 68. Wilson had a number of US hits, including The 'Snake' in 1968 and 'Show and Tell' in 1974.

2013, Calvin Harris made chart history by becoming the first artist to have eight top 10 hits from one studio album. His track 'I Need Your Love', featuring singer Ellie Goulding, climbed to No.7 on the Official UK Chart. The DJ and producer from Dumfries, Scotland had overtaken Michael Jackson, who previously held the record with seven top 10 hits from both his 1987 album Bad and his 1991 record Dangerous.

2014, Robin Thicke's controversial hit single Blurred Lines was named the UK's most-downloaded song of all time. The song had sold 1.54 million copies since it was released in May 2013, despite criticisms of its explicit lyrics. About 20 university student unions banned the track, saying it promoted "date rape culture", an accusation Thicke consistently denied.

2015, Phil Rudd, drummer of AC/DC, changed his plea to guilty on a charge of a threat to kill, in a court in Tauranga, New Zealand. The court heard Rudd was unhappy about his album's launch party and asked for a former employee to be "taken out". He had previously denied the charge. He also pleaded guilty to cannabis and methamphetamine possession. The court heard that he had fired a number of employees last August after the launch of his solo album, Head Job.

2016, Adele was named as Britain's richest ever female musician, in the latest Sunday Times Rich List. A list of the top 50 music millionaires in the UK and Ireland placed the singer's £85m fortune in 30th place - an increase of £35m compared to last year.

2016, Prince was found dead at his home in Minnesota at the age of 57, after Police were summoned to his Paisley Park estate and found his body in a lift. The acclaimed and influential musician became a global superstar in the 1980s, with albums such as 1999, Purple Rain and Sign O' the Times and recorded more than 30 albums.

2016, American rock, blues and country singer-guitarist Lonnie Mack died of natural causes in hospital near his log-cabin home, seventy miles east of Nashville, Tennessee. In the early 1960s, he was a "pioneer" in virtuoso rock guitar soloing whose recordings were pivotal to the emergence of the electric guitar as a lead voice in rock music. For this, it has been said that he launched the era of "modern rock guitar". He scored the hit single instrumentals, 'Memphis' and 'Wham!'

April 21st: Born on this day

1947, Born on this day, Alan Wagner, from British soul band The Foundations who scored the 1967 UK No.1 single 'Baby Now That I've Found You' and the 1969 US No.3 single 'Build Me Up A Buttercup'. The group was the first multi-racial group to have a No.1 hit in the UK in the 1960s.

1947, Born on this day, American singer-songwriter, musician and actor James Osterberg, (Iggy Pop). Member of The Stooges and solo artist, Pop is sometimes credited with the invention of stage diving. Hits include: 'Lust for Life', 'The Passenger', 'Real Wild Child', and 'I Wanna Be Your Dog'.

1947, Born on this day, John Weider, English rock musician who plays guitar, bass, and violin. He is best known as the guitarist for Eric Burdon & the Animals from 1966 to 1968. He was also the bass player for Family from 1969 to 1971.

1951, Born on this day, Nicole Barclay, from American all-female band Fanny who were active in the early 1970s. They were one of the first notable rock groups to be made up entirely of women.

1958, Born on this day, Mike Barson, keyboardist from English ska band Madness. They have had 15 singles reach the UK top ten, hits include 'One Step Beyond', 'Baggy Trousers', 'Our House' and 'It Must Be Love'.

1959, Born on this day, Michael Timmins, guitarist with Canadian alternative country/blues/folk rock band, Cowboy Junkies.

1959, Born on this day, singer, songwriter and musician Robert Smith with English rock band The Cure who had the 1989 US No.2 single 'Love Song', the 1992 UK No.6 single 'Friday I'm In Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles. He was also the lead guitarist for the band Siouxsie and the Banshees from 1982 to 1984.

1960, Born on this day, John Maher, drummer with English punk rock group Buzzcocks who had the 1978 UK No.12 single 'Ever Fallen In Love, With Someone You Shouldn't've'.

1963, Born on this day, Scottish guitarist and songwriter Johnny McElhone who with Altered Images had the 1981 UK No.2 single 'Happy Birthday'. He joined Texas who had the 1997 UK No.3 single 'Say What You Want', and the 1997 UK No.1 album White On Blonde.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2018 at 13:11
April 22nd: On this Day

1957, Elvis Presley had his custom built 'Music Gates' installed at Gracelands. The gates were designed by Abe Saucer and custom built by John Dillars Jr, of Memphis Doors inc.

1964, The President of The National Federation Of Hairdressers offered a free haircut to the next No.1 group in the UK pop charts. He said The Rolling Stones are the worst, one of them looks as if he's got a feather duster on his head.'

1965, The Beatles were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Ticket To Ride.' Taken from the film Help! it was the group's seventh UK No.1.

1966, 'Wild Thing' by The Troggs (who were originally called The Troglodytes) was released in the U.S. on both the Atco and Fontana labels. The song went on to reach No.1. Fronted by Reg Presley, 'Wild Thing' became a major influence on garage rock and punk rock.

1966, Two dozen local group's appeared at a ‘battle of the bands’ gig in Matawan Keyport Roller Drome in New Jersey. All acts performed three songs each. The Rogues won first place, second was Sonny & The Starfires, and third place went to The Castiles, (with Bruce Springsteen on vocals). The three winners were given an opportunity to perform at the Roller Drome the following week as part of a major concert headlined by The Crystals.

1967, In the most popular Monkee poll conducted in the music paper Disc & Music Echo, Davy Jones received 63% of the votes, Mickey Dolenz 22%, Peter Tork 8% and Mike Nesmith 7%.

1972, Deep Purple scored their second UK No.1 album with Machine Head. The album which features 'Smoke on the Water' and 'Highway Star', is often cited as a major influence in the early development of the heavy metal music genre and commercially, it was Deep Purple's most successful album.

1977, The Jam released their first single 'In The City', which peaked at No. 40 in the UK charts. The English punk rock/mod revival formed in Woking, Surrey, fronted by Paul Weller, achieved 17 other Top 40 hits including four UK No.1's.

1978, Bob Marley and the Wailers performed at the 'One Love Peace Concert' in Jamaica. It was Marley's first public appearance in Jamaica since being wounded in an assassination attempt a year and a half earlier.

1989, Madonna started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Like A Prayer', the singers seventh US No.1, also a No.1 in the UK.

1991, The Dave Matthews Band played their first ever-live show when they appeared at The Earth Day festival in Charlottesville, Virginia.

2001, Destiny's Child went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Survivor.' Their second chart topper, they were the first US female band to have more than one UK No.1. The song won the trio a Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance by a Group.

2003, Songwriter Felice Bryant died of cancer. Wrote many hits with her husband Boudleaux including; The Everly Brothers, 'Bye Bye Love', 'All I Have To Do Is Dream', 'Wake Up Little Susie' and 'Raining In My Heart' a hit for Buddy Holly. Other acts to record their song include Bob Dylan, The Beatles, Tony Bennett, Simon and Garfunkel, Sarah Vaughan, Grateful Dead, Dolly Parton, Elvis Presley, Beach Boys, Roy Orbison, Elvis Costello, Count Basie, Dean Martin, Ruth Brown, Cher, R.E.M. and Ray Charles.

2007, Beyonce & Shakira were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Beautiful Liar'. The track won the Most Earth-Shattering Collaboration award at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards and the song won an Ivor Novello Award for Best-Selling British Song.

2008, It was revealed that 60s singer Tommy Steele took Elvis Presley on a secret tour of London in 1958 after Presley struck up a friendship with Steele. When the rock legend flew into London for a day, Steele apparently took him round the city, showing him famous landmarks such as the Houses of Parliament. For more than 50 years, Presley fans had believed the only time Elvis ever set foot in the UK was during a stop-over at Prestwick Airport in Scotland in March 1960.

2013, Richie Havens, the folk singer who opened the legendary 1969 Woodstock rock festival, died of a heart attack at 72. He died at his home in Jersey City, New Jersey.

April 22nd: Born on this day

1922, Born on this day, American jazz double bassist, pianist, composer and bandleader Charles Mingus, His final project was the collaboration with Joni Mitchell Mingus. He died 5th January 1979 aged 56.

1936, Born on this day, Glen Campbell, country singer, songwriter, TV presenter. Hits include ‘By the Time I Get to Phoenix’, ‘Wichita Lineman’, and ‘Rhinestone Cowboy’. As a session musician in the 1960s he worked with Bobby Darin, Ricky Nelson, The Monkees, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra. His guitar playing can be heard on ‘Strangers in the Night’ by Frank Sinatra, ‘You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'‘ by The Righteous Brothers and ‘I'm a Believer’ by The Monkees. Campbell became a patient at an Alzheimer's long-term care and treatment facility in 2014 and died of the disease in Nashville, Tennessee on August 8, 2017 at the age of 81.

1937, Born on this day, Jack Nitzsche, producer, songwriter. Produced The Rolling Stones, Neil Young and The Walker Brothers. Co-wrote, 'Up Where We Belong' with Buffy Sainte-Marie. Died of a heart attack on 25th August 2000.

1944, Born on this day, drummer Howard Wyeth, who has worked with Bob Dylan, Don McLean, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell. He died of a heart attack 27th March 1996.

1950, Born on this day, British-American rock musician Peter Frampton who with The Herd, had the 1968 UK No.5 single 'I Don't Want Our Loving To Die', with Humble Pie, the 1969 UK No.4 single 'Natural Born Bugie'. As a solo artists he scored the 1976 UK No.10 single 'Show Me The Way' taken from his live release Frampton Comes Alive!. Frampton has worked with David Bowie, George Harrison, Harry Nilsson. Frampton is known for his work as a guitar player and particularly with a Talkbox.

1950, Born on this day, Pete Carr, American guitarist best known as part of the studio backing band known as the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section of Alabama. He has contributed to hit recordings by Joan Baez, Luther Ingram, Bob Seger, Joe Cocker, Boz Scaggs, Paul Simon, The Staple Singers, Rod Stewart, Barbra Streisand, Wilson Pickett, Bob Seger and many more.

1951, Born on this day, English singer, songwriter Paul Carrack who was a member of Ace, who had the 1974 UK No.20 single 'How Long'. He replaced keyboardist Jools Holland in Squeeze in 1981 (sang on the hit single 'Tempted'). Was a member of Mike And The Mechanics, (sang lead on their 1989 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'The Living Years'). Carrack has also worked with artists such as Elton John, The Pretenders, B.B. King and played keyboards on The Smiths' eponymous debut album, The Smiths. He now works as a solo artist.

1956, Born on this day, Kenny Lyons, from American alternative rock band The Lemonheads. A cover of Simon and Garfunkel's 'Mrs. Robinson', became one of the band's most successful single in the early 90s.

1969, Born on this day, Craig Logan from English pop band Bros who had the 1988 UK No.1 single 'I Owe You Nothing' plus 10 other UK Top 40 singles.

1974, Born on this day, Shavo Odadjian, bassist with Armenian-American heavy metal band System of a Down who had the 2001 US No.1 album Toxicity and the 2005 US No.1 & UK No.2 album Mezmerize.

1979, Born on this day, Daniel Johns from Australian rock band Silverchair who had the 1997 Australian No.1 single 'Freak' and the 1995 Australian No.1 album Frogstomp plus three other Australian No.1 albums. During their career, Silverchair won more ARIA Music Awards than any other artist in history with 21 wins.

1984, Born on this day Amelle Berrabah, singer with British girl group Sugababes who had the 2002 UK No.1 single, 'Round Round'. In 2006, British Hit Singles & Albums named the Sugababes as the most successful female act of the 21st century with six UK No.1 singles and eighteen UK top ten hits.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2018 at 00:56
April 24th: On this day
1955, Perez Prado was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White'. Known as the 'King of the Mambo' the instrumental was the theme from the film 'Underwater' where Jane Russell can be seen dancing to 'Cherry Pink'.
1959, Buddy Holly was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with the Paul Anka song 'It Doesn't Matter Anymore.' A No.1 hit six weeks after Holly's death.
1961, Bob Dylan appeared on Harry Belafonte's album 'The Midnight Special' playing harmonica on the title track. Dylan was paid a $50 session fee for this his first ever recording.
1961, Del Shannon started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Runaway', also a No.1 in the UK. Del was the first person to have a hit with a Beatles song in the US with his version of 'From Me To You.'
1965, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Game Of Love', a No.2 hit in the UK. Wayne took his name from DJ Fontana the Elvis Presley drummer. Eric Stewart guitarist in the Mindbenders went on join Hotlegs and 10CC.
1968, The Beatles new company, Apple Records turned down the offer to sign new artist David Bowie. (Apple later signed Mary Hopkin, James Taylor, Badfinger and Billy Preston).

1968, Louis Armstrong was at No.1 in the UK with the single 'What A Wonderful World / Cabaret.' At 69 years of age, it made Armstrong the oldest act ever to score a UK No.1.
1972, John Lennon's controversial single, 'Woman Is the Nigger of the World' was released in the US. The song peaked at No.57, despite virtually every radio station in the country refusing to play it. Yoko Ono said the phrase during a magazine interview in 1967 and Lennon later explained that he was making a point that women deserved higher status in society.
1975, Peter Ham, British singer, songwriter with Badfinger committed suicide by hanging himself in the garage of his Surrey home, aged 27. Ham co-wrote 'Without You', with band mate Tom Evans (who also later committed suicide). The song won an Ivor Novello award for Song Of The Year in 1973, and was a hit for Harry Nilsson and Mariah Carey. Ham was a founder member of The Iveys, who became Badfinger, were signed to the Beatles' Apple label, their first hit 'Come And Get It' was written by Paul McCartney.
1976, Paul and Linda McCartney spent the evening with John Lennon at his New York Dakota apartment and watched Saturday Night Live on TV. Producer of the show Lorne Michaels made an offer on air asking The Beatles to turn up and play three songs live. Lennon and McCartney thought about taking a cab to the studio, but decided they were too tired. This was the last time Lennon and McCartney were together.
1979, Ray Charles' 'Georgia On My Mind' was proclaimed the state song of Georgia. The music to the song was written in 1930 by Hoagy Carmichael who also recorded a version of the song in New York in the same year. Ray Charles, a native of Georgia, recorded it in 1960 on the album The Genius Hits the Road.
1992, David Bowie married Somali born supermodel and actress Iman in Switzerland. Iman first got married at the age of eighteen to a young Somali man, in 1977, she married American basketball player Spencer Haywood.

1995, Oasis released 'Some Might Say' which went on to give the band their first UK No.1 single. The planned promo video for the song was cancelled due to Liam not turning up for the shoot. Instead, a makeshift video was created using footage from the 'Cigarettes & Alcohol', US 'Supersonic' and UK 'Whatever' videos.
2003, The first official UK download chart was compiled after the big five record companies - EMI, Warners, Sony, BMG and Universal combined for a Digital Download day. Over 150,000 computer users had downloaded 1.1m tracks. The Net Parade Top 3: No.3, Tatu, 'All The Things She Said', No, 2, Coldplay 'Clocks' and No.1 Christina Aguilera, 'Beautiful.'
2003, Dixie Chicks launched a publicity campaign to explain their position after the controversy of Natalie Maines' statement regading the Iraq war. During a prime-time interview with TV personality Diane Sawyer, Maines said she remained proud of her original statement. The band also appeared naked (with private parts strategically covered) on the current cover of Entertainment Weekly magazine, with slogans such as "Traitors", "Saddam's Angels", "Dixie Sluts", "Proud Americans", "Hero", "Free Speech", and "Brave" printed on their bodies. The slogans represented the labels (both positive and negative) that had been placed on them in the aftermath of Maines' statement.
2004, Marion "Suge" Knight, the founder of Death Row records was released from Mule Creek State Prison in California after serving 10 months for breaking his parole on a 1997 assault. Knight was sent back to prison on 4 August for a second parole violation after he punched a parking attendant outside a Hollywood night-club in 2003.
2007, Sheryl Crow said a ban on using too much toilet paper should be introduced to help the environment. The singer suggested using "only one square per restroom visit, except, of course, on those pesky occasions where two to three could be required". Crowe made the comments on her website after touring the US on a biodiesel-powered bus to raise awareness about climate change. Crow had also designed a clothing line with what she called a "dining sleeve". The sleeve is detachable and can be replaced with another "dining sleeve" after the diner has used it to wipe his or her mouth.
2012, Sinead O'Connor cancelled the remaining dates of her world tour, saying she was still recovering from a "very serious breakdown". In a statement on her official website, she said she had scrapped all concerts this year due to her bipolar disorder. Her website was also now being deleted along with her Twitter account.
2016, Papa Wemba, the King of Rumba Rock died aged 66 during a show. The musician collapsed on stage in Abidjan, Côte d'Ivoire, during the FEMUA urban music festival. He was one of the most popular musicians of his time in Africa and played an important role in world music.
2016, American soul singer Billy Paul died at his home in the Blackwood section of Gloucester Township, New Jersey, from pancreatic cancer at the age of 81. He was best known for his 1972 hit 'Me and Mrs Jones', which won a Grammy award and reached No.1 in the US.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2018 at 00:56
April 24th: Born on this day
1942, Born on this day, American singer, songwriter, actress, and filmmaker Barbra Streisand who had the 1974 US No.1 single 'The Way We Were', and the 1980 UK & US No.1 single 'Woman In Love'. She is among a small group of entertainers who have been honored with an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award. Films include, Funny Girl, The Owl and the Pussycat, The Way We Were, and A Star Is Born.
1945, Born on this day, Doug Clifford, drummer with Creedence Clearwater Revival who scored the 1969 US No.2 & UK No.1 single 'Bad Moon Rising', and the 1970 US & UK No.1 album Cosmo's Factory. The band has sold 26 million albums in the United States alone.
1947, Born on this day, Glenn Cornick, bass guitarist with Jethro Tull from 1967 to late 1970. He played in the three first studio albums of the band, This Was, Stand Up and Benefit. Cornick died on 28th Aug 2014 due to congestive heart failure.
1947, Born on this day, Ann Kelly, from American pop and soul trio The Hues Corporation, who scored the 1974, US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Rock The Boat' which sold over 2 million copies.
1948, Born on this day, Steve York who with Manfred Mann had the 1964 UK & US No.1 single 'Do Wah Diddy Diddy' and the 1968 UK No.1 & US No.10 single 'Mighty Quinn'.
1951, Born on this day, English musician Nigel Harrison who bass player who spent several years as the bassist of the American rock band Blondie during the 1970s and 1980s.
1954, Born on this day, Jack Blades, bassist with Night Ranger and Damn Yankees, 1990 album 'Damn Yankies.'
1957, Born on this day, David Jay from English post-punk band Bauhaus, who had the 1982 UK No.15 single with their version of the David Bowie song 'Ziggy Stardust'.
1958, Born on this day, Boris Williams, drummer with English rock band The Cure who had the 1989 US No.2 single 'Love Song', the 1992 UK No.6 single 'Friday I'm In Love', plus over 20 other UK Top 40 singles.
1960, Born on this day, Paula presenter on UK music TV show The Tube. Yates is the ex-wife of Sir Bob Geldof and was the girlfriend of INXS singer Michael Hutchence. Yates died on September 17th 2000.
1963, Born on this day, Billy Gould, bassist from American rock band, Faith No More who had the 1993 UK No.3 and US No.4 hit single with their version of The Commodores 'I'm Easy'. They had the best-selling albums The Real Thing (1989) and Angel Dust (1992).
1964, Born on this day, Paul Ryder, bassist with English alternative rock band Happy Mondays who had the 1990 UK No.5 single 'Step On' and the 1990 hit Kinky Afro'.
1967, Born on this day, Patty Schemel, with American alternative rock band Hole. The band has been noted for being one of the most commercially successful female-fronted rock bands of all time.
1967, Born on this day, Shannon Larkin, drummer, with Ugly Kid Joe, Godsmack, who had the 2003, US No.1 album ‘Faceless’, and the 2006 US No.1 album ‘IV’.
1968, Born on this day, Aaron Comess, drummer, with American rock band The Spin Doctors who had the 1993 UK No.3 & US No.7 single 'Two Princess' and the hit 'Little Miss Can't Be Wrong'.
1971, Born on this day, Jasbinder Mann (Jas Mann) musician, producer, 1996 UK No.1 single 'Spaceman', No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Spaceman', the fastest selling non-charity single ever. (420,000 copies in 6 days). The song was used as the backing for a Levi Jeans TV commercial.
1974, Born on this day, Brian Marshall, bassist, from American rock band Creed, who had the 2001 US No.1 & UK No.13 single 'With Arms Wide Open' and the 2002 US No.1 album, Weathered.
1982, Born on this day, Kelly Clarkson, singer, who came to prominence after winning the first season of American Idol, and scored the 2002 US No.1 single 'A Moment Like This'.
1987, Born on this day, English singer-songwriter Ben Howard who won two BRIT Awards in 2013: British Breakthrough Act and British Solo Male Artist.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 00:44
April 25th: On this day
1954, Johnnie Ray was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Such A Night.' The singer's first of three UK No.1's. He became deaf in his right ear aged 13 after an accident and would later perform wearing a hearing aid. Dexys Midnight Runners' 1982 music video for 'Come On Eileen', used footage of Ray from 1954. The lyrics of the song say, "Poor old Johnnie Ray sounded sad upon the radio / he moved a million hearts in mono".
1960, Elvis Presley started a four week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Stuck On You', his first hit single after his two-year stint in the US Army. It became his first No.1 single of the 1960s and thirteenth overall.
1967, Just days after the completion of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles embark upon their next project, recording the theme to 'Magical Mystery Tour' at Abbey Road studios in London.
1970, The Jackson Five started a two week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'ABC'. It was the group's second US No. 1, a No.8 hit in the UK.
1974, Pamela Courson the long-term companion of the late Jim Morrison died of a drugs overdose. It was Courson who found The Doors singer dead on July 3, 1971 in the bathtub of their apartment in Paris, France.
1977, Elvis Presley made the last recordings of his life during a concert at the Saginaw, Michigan Civic Centre. Three songs from the show appeared on the posthumously released Presley album, 'Moody Blue'.
1979, The Police made their debut on BBC TV's Top Of The Pops performing 'Roxanne'. The single which was taken from their album Outlandos d'Amour was written from the point-of-view of a man who falls in love with a prostitute.
1980, Stranglers singer, guitarist Hugh Cornwell was released from a London prison after serving six weeks for possession of drugs.
1982, Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Ebony And Ivory.' This was McCartney's 24th No.1 hit single as a songwriter. The title was inspired by McCartney hearing Spike Milligan say "black notes, white notes, and you need to play the two to make harmony folks!". It was later named as the tenth worst song of all time by Blender magazine and in 2007 was named the worst duet in history by BBC 6 Music listeners.
1987, Madonna went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'La Isla Bonita.' The fifth and final single from her third studio album, True Blue, made her the only female artist to score four UK No.1 singles. The song had been offered to Michael Jackson for his Bad album.
1987, U2 started a five-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with their fifth studio album The Joshua Tree. Inspired by American tour experiences, literature, and politics, the album topped the charts in over 20 countries, and is one of the world's all-time best-selling albums, with over 25 million copies sold. The album which won a Grammy Award for Album of the Year produced the hit singles 'With or Without You', 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For', and 'Where the Streets Have No Name'.
1988, Bon Jovi's manager Doc McGee was convicted on drug offences arising from the 1982 seizure of 40,000lb of marijuana smuggled into north Carolina from Colombia. McGee was sentenced to a five year suspended prison term and a $15,000 fine.
1990, The Fender Stratocaster that Jimi Hendrix played at the Woodstock festival was auctioned off for a record $295,000. His two-hour set at the 1969 festival became the longest of his career.
1994, The Eagles played the first of two shows where they recorded their 'Hell Freezes Over' album. Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh, Don Felder and Timothy B. Schmit first got back together the previous December for the making of a Travis Tritt video of their song, 'Take It Easy' The name of the album was taken from an earlier quote by Glen Frey, who responded to the question "When will the Eagles get back together?"
1997, U2's 'Pop Mart' world tour kicked off at The Las Vegas San Boyd Stadium in front of 35,000 fans. The tour featured the largest video screen in the world and would visit 80 cities around the planet.
2002, TLC member Lisa Lopes was killed in a car accident in La Ceiba, Honduras, aged 30. Seven other people, including Lopes' brother and sister, who were in the Mitsubishi Montero sports utility vehicle when the crash happened, were taken to a hospital. Lopes who was driving the car when it crashed had spent the past month in Honduras working on various projects including a clothing line, a new solo project and a book.
2003, In this year's Sunday Times Rich List, Paul McCartney was confirmed as the world's richest musician with a fortune worth over £760m. Madonna was 4th in the list with £227m, Mick Jagger 6th with £175m and Elton John 7th with £170m. Ozzy Osbourne became the 24th richest musician after earning an estimated £42m from his MTV show The Osbournes. And Simon Fuller was said to have earned over £50m from sales of the 'Pop Idol' TV show.
2007, During The Rolling Stones current world tour, aides to George Bush were told they couldn’t book a luxury five star hotel suite because Mick Jagger had already booked it. Jagger had splashed out £3,600 a night for the suite at the five-star Imperial Hotel in Vienna, Austria, in advance of the band's appearance there. Prior to the attempted booking, US Secret Service agents had already vetted the hotel, but to no avail.
2007, American singer Bobby "Boris" Pickett died of leukaemia at the age of 69. Scored the Halloween anthem 'The Monster Mash' in 1962. The song had been banned by The BBC in the UK, deemed offensive and wasn't a hit until 1973. It was a spoof on the dance crazes popular at the time, including the Twist and the Mashed Potato.
2008, The Empire State Building in New York City was lit up in Mariah Carey's motif colours, lavender, pink, and white, in celebration of her achievements in the world of music. Carey was the first person in history to be honoured with this event.
2009, A man suing rapper Snoop Dogg told a court he received a 'brutal' beating from the star's security. Richard Monroe Jr also claimed that the rapper hit him with a microphone after he climbed on stage. Mr Monroe was asking for $22m (£15m) in damages from the rapper and others. Jurors were told that as the performer started his hit 'Gin and Juice', at the White River Amphitheatre in Seattle, Mr Monroe thought there was an open invitation to go up on stage and party.
2014, Spotify removed a album of silence by American funk band Vulfpeck from its streaming site. The band's fourth record, Sleepify, was made up of 10 tracks of silence which they encouraged fans to stream on repeat overnight. The idea was aimed at generating money so that the band could go on tour and not charge admission fees.
2016, Motley Crue co-founder Nikki Sixx launched a campaign asking Google to pay musicians more money when their videos appeared on YouTube. The bass player was urging Google to remember its former slogan - "Don't be evil" - in its dealings with artists.
2017, Sir Elton John suffered a potentially deadly bacterial infection during a tour, forcing him to spend two nights in intensive care and cancel concerts in the US. The singer became violently ill at the end of a tour of South America, requiring him to return to the UK for urgent treatment. Nine concerts that were due to be staged in Las Vegas and California were cancelled.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2018 at 00:45
April 25th: Born on this day
1918, Born on this day, American jazz singer Ella Fitzgerald With Verve Records she recorded some of her more widely noted works, particularly her interpretation of the Great American Songbook. Fitzgerald died from a stroke on 15th June 1996 at the age of 79.
1923, Born on this day, American blues guitarist and singer Albert King, best known for the influential 1967 album Born Under a Bad Sign and the title track. He died of a heart attack on 21 December 1992.
1933, Born on this day, Jerry Leiber, (& Stoller), songwriter and producer for Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, The Monkees, Cliff Richard. Among their hit songs: Hound Dog, Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, Don't, There Goes My Baby, Searchin', Yakety Yak and Kansas City. Leiber died on August 22, 2011 in Los Angeles at the age of 78 from cardio-pulmonary failure.
1943, Born on this day, Tony Christie, UK singer, 1971 UK No.18 single (‘Is This The Way To) Amarillo’, re-released in aid of Comic Relief in 2005 becoming a UK No.1 with comedian Peter Kay. This broke the record set over 18 years previously by Jackie Wilson. His "Reet Petite" topped the chart in Dec 1986; 29 Years, 1 Month, and 11 Days after it first entered the chart. The new record set by Christie was 33 Years, 3 Months, and 27 Days.
1944, Born on this day, Charlie Harper, singer with English punk band, UK Subs, who scored the 1979 UK No.26 single 'Stranglehold'.
1945, Born on this day, Bjorn Ulvaeus, Swedish singer, songwriter, producer who started his musical career at 18 when he fronted the Hootenanny Singers, a popular Swedish folk–skiffle group. After forming ABBA in 1972 they became one of the best-selling music artists of all time. Their first UK hit was the 1974 No.1 single 'Waterloo', followed by eight other UK No.1 singles and nine No.1 albums. He is the co-composer of the musicals Chess and Mamma Mia! (and co-produced the film) with fellow ABBA member and close friend Benny Andersson.
1945, Born on this day, Stu Cook, bassist with Creedence Clearwater Revival, who had the 1969 UK No.1 and US No.2 single 'Bad Moon Rising' plus 11 other US Top 40 singles and the 1970 US & UK No.1 album Cosmo's Factory.
1945, Born on this day, Michael Kogel, from Spanish beat group Los Bravos who had the 1966 UK No.2 & US No.4 single 'Black Is Black'. They were the first Spanish rock band to have a UK & US hit single.
1946, Born on this day, Ronnie Gilbert, from American rock group The Blue Magoos, who scored the 1967 US No.5 single, 'We Ain't Got Nothin' Yet'. They were at the forefront of the psychedelic music trend, beginning in 1966.
1949, Born on this day, Michael Brown, singer, 1966-67 he was in the Left Banke, which had a 1966 US No.5 hit, 'Walk Away Renee' and was a member of Stories, who had the 1973 US No.1 single 'Brother Louie'. The song was written by Errol Brown from Hot Chocolate who had a UK No.7 with the song the same year. Brown died on March 19, 2015, at age 65.
1950, Born on this day, Steve Ferrone, former drummer with the Average White Band, who had the 1975 US No.1 & UK No.6 single 'Pick Up The Pieces'. Ferrone is now best known for being the drummer for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers for the last 25 years, replacing original drummer Stan Lynch in 1994. He has also recorded and performed with Duran Duran, Stevie Nicks, Laura Pausini, Christine McVie, Slash, Chaka Khan, Eric Clapton, Bee Gees, Scritti Politti, Aerosmith and Johnny Cash.
1958, Born on this day, Fish, (Derek Dick), from British rock band Marillion from 1981 until 1988. They had the 1985 UK No.2 single 'Kayleigh'. Fish has since been a solo artist and occasional actor.
1964, Born on this day, Andy Bell, lead singer of the English synth-pop duo Erasure who achieved 24 consecutive Top 40 hits in the UK, while having three Top 20 hits in the US.
1964, Born on this day, Maya Gilder, keyboards, from British new wave band Furniture, who had the 1986 UK No.21 single 'Brilliant Mind'.
1965, Born on this day, Eric Avery, bassist and co-founding member of alternative American rock metal band Jane's Addiction.
1965, Born on this day, Simon Fowler, singer with English rock band Ocean Colour Scene who formed in Moseley, Birmingham in 1989. They scored the 1996 UK No.4 single 'The Day We Caught The Train', plus over 12 other Top 40 singles and the 1997 UK No.1 album Marchin’ Already.
1980, Born on this day, Jacob Underwood, from American boy band O-Town, who were the winners of US TV show 'Making The Band' They scored the 2001 US No. 3 single 'All Or Nothing'.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2018 at 01:00
April 26th: On this day
1964, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones and the Dave Clark Five headlined the NME poll winner's concert at Wembley Empire Pool, London.
1966, Dusty Springfield was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'You Don't Have To Say You Love Me', the singers only UK No.1. When recording the track, Springfield was not satisfied with her vocal until she had recorded forty-seven takes.
1969, During the band's second North American tour Led Zeppelin played the second of two nights at The Winterland Ballroom, San Francisco in California. It was during this show that 'Whole Lotta Love' was played live for the first time.
1976, 'Wings At The Speed Of Sound' went to No.1 on the US album chart. Paul McCartney's fifth No.1 album after The Beatles became his most successful American chart album, spending seven unconsecutive weeks at No.1. The album featured the hits 'Let 'Em In' and 'Silly Love Songs'.
1980, Blondie were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Call Me', the group's fourth UK No.1, featured in the Richard Gere movie 'American Gigolo', the track was also a No.1 in the US where it became the band's biggest selling single. Producer Giorgio Moroder originally asked Stevie Nicks from Fleetwood Mac to help compose and perform a song for the soundtrack, but she declined.
1982, Out on a day's shopping, Rod Stewart was robbed by a gunman of his $50,000 Porsche on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles.
1984, Mike McCartney unveiled the £40,000 statue of The Beatles by John Doubleday at the new £8 million Cavern Walks shopping centre in Liverpool, England. John's first wife, Cynthia, was also in attendance.
1988, Mick Jagger appeared in White Plains, New York, Federal Court in the copyright infringement case brought by reggae singer Patrick Alley, who claimed the Mick Jagger solo track Just Another Night was a plagiarism of his own song of the same name. Alley was claiming $7m in profits from the track. During the case Sly Dunbar played drums to the court to show how the beats were different in each song and Mick sang and played demos of his song to show the court the development of the track. At the end of the week-long trial, Jagger won the case.
1990, Nirvana appeared at the Pyramid Club in New York City. The bands label Sub Pop filmed the show and the performance of 'In Bloom' was later used as a promo clip.
1994, Grace Slick pleaded guilty to pointing a shotgun at police in her California home. She claimed she was under stress because her home had burned down the previous year. She was later sentenced to 200 hours of community service and told to attend four Alcoholics Anonymous meetings a week for three months.
1995, Courtney Love reportedly turned down an offer of $1m from Playboy to pose nude for the magazine.
1997, Ernest Stewart, keyboard player with KC and the Sunshine Band, died of an asthma attack. (1975 US No.1 single 'That's The Way, I Like It', 1983 UK No.1 single 'Give It Up').
2001, Destiny's Child were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Survivor', Janet Jackson was at No.1 on the US chart with 'All For You' and Shaggy and Ricardo RikRok Ducent had the Australian No.1 single with 'It Wasn't Me'
2008, Amy Winehouse spent the night in custody after being arrested on suspicion of assault. Police said Winehouse had been "in no fit state" to be questioned when she arrived at the London station and she was kept in the cells. The 24-year-old was to be questioned about an incident said to have occurred 3 days earlier after a 38-year-old man claimed he was assaulted.
2009, Tinchy Stryder feat N-dubz     started a three week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Number 1', the first time ever that a single called 'Number 1' has made it to the top of the UK charts.
2013, US country singer George Jones who had a string of number one songs between the 1950s and 1990s, died aged 81. Nicknamed Possum, his signature song was He Stopped Loving Her Today, a track about love and death. He was married to Tammy Wynette between 1969 and 1975 and the pair recorded several songs together in the 1970s.
2016, A list of tracks by a death metal band was accidentally printed on the back of a new album by UK comedian Bernie Clifton. The 80-year-old (who is famous for riding a yellow ostrich), said he was "fuming and furious" about the error, which saw songs by the group Abhorrent Decimation printed on his new CD.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2018 at 01:01
April 26th: Born on this day
1938, Born on this day, American guitarist Duane Eddy, who had a string of hit records in the late 1950s and early 1960s, produced by Lee Hazlewood, which were noted for their characteristically "twangy" sound, including 'Rebel Rouser', 'Peter Gunn', and 'Because They're Young'.
1938, Born on this day, Maurice Williams, from American doo-wop singer who had the 1960 US No.1 & 1961 UK No.14 single 'Stay' with The Zodiacs. The song was also a hit for Jackson Browne and The Hollies.
1940, Born on this day, Italian singer, songwriter, DJ and record producer Giorgio Moroder who had the 1979 US No.33 & UK No. 48 single, 'Chase' from the film Midnight Express. He produced all of Donna Summer's world- wide 1976 hits including 'Love To Love You Baby', and the 1984 UK No.3 single with Phil Oakey, 'Together In Electric Dreams.' He also created a score of songs for performers including David Bowie, Kylie Minogue, Irene Cara and Janet Jackson.
1942, Born on this day, American singer Bobby Rydell who had the 1960 US No.2 & UK No.7 single 'Wild One', plus 17 other US Top 40 hits.
1945, Born on this day, Tony Murray, with English garage rock band The Troggs, who had the 1966 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Wild Thing' and the hits 'With a Girl Like You' and 'Love Is All Around'.
1945, Born on this day, American singer, songwriter Gary Wright who was a member of Spooky Tooth. He had the 1976 solo US No.2 single 'Dream Weaver'. The song was inspired by Autobiography of a Yogi, which was given to him by George Harrison. Wright also played on Harrison's 1970 All Things Must Pass triple album.
1945, Born on this day, American keyboard player and vocalist Mike Finnigan, his speciality being the B3 Hammond Organ. Finnigan has worked with many artists including, Jimi Hendrix (Electric Ladyland), Joe Cocker, Crosby Stills and Nash, Peter Frampton, Cher, Ringo Starr, Leonard Cohen, Tower of Power and Rod Stewart.
1951, Born on this day, Nick Garvey, guitarist and singer from British pub rock band The Motors who had the 1978 UK No.4 single 'Airport'.
1952, Born on this day, Neol Davies from 2 Tone ska revival band Selecter who had the 1979 UK No.8 single 'On My Radio'.
1960, Born on this day, Roger Taylor, drummer with Duran Duran who scored the 1983 UK No.1 single 'Is There Something I Should Know' plus 25 other UK Top 40 singles, and the 1984 US No.1 single 'The Reflex'. Also a member of Arcadia who had the 1985 UK No.7 single 'Election Day' and The Power Station.
1961, Born on this day, Chris Mars, drummer from American rock band The Replacements, who released the 1984 album Let It Be. Initially a punk rock band, they are considered pioneers of alternative rock.
1967, Born on this day, English session drummer Darrin Mooney who has worked with Gary Moore, Primal Scream, Colin Blunstone, Cliff Richard, Dionne Warwick and David Holmes.
1970, Born on this day, Ruth Anne, English singer with Olive who scored the 1997 UK No.1 single 'You're Not Alone'.
1970, Born on this day, Tionne Watkins, T- Boz, singer with American girl group TLC. They scored nine top-ten hits on the Billboard Hot 100, including four No.1 singles, 'Creep', 'Waterfalls', 'No Scrubs', and 'Unpretty'. Their 1999 US No.1 album Fanmail spent 57 weeks on the UK chart. Having sold over 65 million records worldwide, TLC is the best-selling American girl group.
1971, Born on this day, Jay DeMarcus, (real name: Stanley Wayne DeMarcus Jr.), bassist with American country band Rascal Flatts who scored the 2004 US country No.2 single ‘I Melt’, and the 2006 US No.1 album ‘Me And My Gang’.
1975, Born on this day, Joey Jordison, drummer with American heavy metal band Slipknot. Their 2008 fourth album All Hope Is Gone gave them their first US No.1. Jordison played in Slipknot since their formation in 1995 until his departure from the band in December 2013. He is also the guitarist in the American horror punk band Murderdolls.
1976, Born on this day, Jose Antonio Pasillas II, drummer, from American rock band Incubus, who had the 2001 US No.9 & UK No.40 single, 'Drive', and the 2004 US No.2 and UK No.6 album A Crow Left of the Murder’, and the 2006 US No.1 album Light Grenades. Worldwide, Incubus has sold over 23 million albums.
1981, Born on this day, Ms Dynamite, (Niomi McLean Daley), English rapper, singer, songwriter. She is the recipient of the Mercury Music Prize, two Brit Awards and three MOBO Awards.
1982, Born on this day, Jonathan Lee, from English pop group S Club 7 who had the 1999 UK No.1 single 'Bring It All Back'. Their 2000 UK No.1 album 7 spent over a year on the UK chart. The group was formed in 1998 and quickly rose to fame by starring in their own BBC television series, Miami 7.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2018 at 00:43
April 27th: On this day
1957, In a rare appearance outside the United States, Elvis Presley performed at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, Canada where he wore his full gold lame suit for the last time.
1963, Little Peggy March started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'I Will Follow Him'. At 15 years, 1 month and 13 days old, Little Peggy March became the youngest female singer to have a US No.1 record.
1965, Bob Dylan was interviewed by BBC journalist and radio presenter Jack DeManio in the Savoy Hotel, London, for the BBC’s Home Service, which was broadcast on the Today programme the following day. Later on the 27th, Dylan and Joan Baez were filmed singing the traditional song Wild Mountain Thyme in the Savoy. Parts of the interview and the song were used in the film Don't Look Back.
1966, The Beatles started recording the new John Lennon song 'I'm Only Sleeping' at Abbey Road studios London, England. The song features the then-unique sound of a reversed guitar duet played by George Harrison. It was released two months earlier in the United States on the album Yesterday And Today and did not feature on the original US version of Revolver.
1967, Sandie Shaw was at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Puppet On A String', her third UK No.1 and the Eurovision Song Contest winner of 1967.
1969, Pink Floyd appeared at Mothers Club in Erdington, Birmingham, England. Radio 1 DJ John Peel reviewed the gig as '...sounding like dying galaxies lost in sheer corridors of time and space'. Recordings from this show were included in the group’s 1969 album Ummagumma.
1971, The Grateful Dead appeared at the Fillmore East in New York City. The Beach Boys also appeared on stage with the Dead, who together performed a short set of Beach Boys songs.
1974, A free afternoon event was held in the parking lot of the University of Connecticut, Ice Hockey Arena in Storrs. The four acts that appeared, Aerosmith Bruce Springsteen, Fairport Convention and Fat Back. Springsteen then went on to play another gig that evening at the University of Hartford in Connecticut.
1976, Customs officers on a train at the Russian/Polish Border detained David Bowie, after Nazi books and mementoes were found in his luggage. Bowie claimed that the material was being used for research on a movie project about Nazi propaganda leader Joseph Paul Goebbels.
1981, Ringo Starr married actress and one time 'Bond girl' Barbara Bach. The pair met while filming the movie, Caveman, with Dennis Quaid and Shelley Long. In attendance at the wedding were George Harrison and Paul McCartney.
1985, USA For Africa started a three-week run at No.1 on the US chart with 'We Are The World'. The US artists' answer to Band Aid had an all-star cast including Stevie Wonder, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, Diana Ross, Bob Dylan, Daryl Hall, Huey Lewis, Cyndi Lauper, Kim Carnes, Ray Charles, Billy Joel and Paul Simon plus the composer's of the track, Michael Jackson and Lionel Richie.
1996, Oasis played the first of two nights at Manchester's Maine Road football ground as a 'thank you' to their fans, the 80,000 tickets sold out in hours.
1999, UK band The Verve announced that they had split. They scored the 1997 UK No.1 single 'The Drugs Don't Work' and their 1997 UK No.1 album 'Urban Hymns' spent over 100 weeks on the UK chart. Leader of the group Richard Ashcroft went solo scoring the 2000 UK No.3 single 'A Song For The Lovers' and the 2000 UK No.1 album 'Alone With Everybody.'
2003, Madonna went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'American Life', the singers eighth No.1 album. Also a US No.1 album.
2008, The Last Shadow Puppets went to No.1 on the UK album charts with 'The Age of the Understatement', a side project of Alex Turner of Sheffield band Arctic Monkeys and Miles Kane of Liverpool band The Rascals.
2009, Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament was the victim of a robbery outside Southern Tracks Recording studios in Atlanta, where the band were recording. Ament and a band employee had arrived at the rear of the studio when three assailants brandishing knives emerged from the woods wearing black masks and smashed the windows of a rented Jeep. The robbers grabbed a BlackBerry and Ament's passport and stole $3,000 in cash and $4,320 worth of goods.
2009, Aerosmith were to hold a free concert in Hawaii to placate angry fans who brought a legal case against them. Fans filed a class action case, which claimed the band had cancelled a sold-out show in Maui two years ago, leaving hundreds of fans out of pocket in favour of a bigger gig in Chicago. Lawyers for the would-be concert-goers said Aerosmith had now agreed to put on a new show, and would pay all expenses. Everyone who bought a ticket to the original concert would receive a free ticket.
2010, Music sales in the UK had grown for the first time in six years, according to music industry body the British Phonographic Institute (BPI). Revenue increased by 1.4%, bringing the total income for 2009 to £928.8m. Download sales provided the shot in the arm, rising by more than 50% to earn £154m, compared with £101.5m in 2008.
2013, A blue plaque was unveiled at Swansea railway station, Wales, honouring Peter Ham who co-wrote 'Without You', a hit for both Harry Nilsson and Mariah Carey. Ham who was a member of Badfinger were signed to The Beatles Apple Records label, (and enjoyed their biggest hit in 1970 with a Paul McCartney penned, 'Come And Get It'. Ham took his own life in 1975 at the age of 27.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2018 at 00:44
April 27th: Born on this day
1944, Born on this day, Cuba Gooding, singer with American soul and R&B group Main Ingredient, best known for their 1972 hit song 'Everybody Plays the Fool'.
1947, Born on this day, American singer and songwriter Ann Peebles, who had the 1973 hit single 'I Can't Stand The Rain'. She also recorded a version of 'I'm Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down' which was later a hit for British singer Paul Young.
1947, Born on this day, English musician and songwriter Gordon Haskell who first gained recognition as bass player for the British band The Fleur de Lys, and subsequently spent a short period in King Crimson. As a solo artist he scored the 2001 UK No.2 single 'How Wonderful You Are', and the 2001 UK No.2 album, Harry's Bar.
1947, Born on this day, Welsh singer, songwriter and guitarist, Peter Ham who was a member of The Iveys and then Badfinger, who had the 1970 UK No.4 single 'Come And Get It'. He also co-wrote the ballad 'Without You', a worldwide No.1 hit for Harry Nilsson that has become a standard song covered by hundreds of artists. Ham was granted two Ivor Novello Awards related to the song in 1973. Ham committed suicide on 24th April 1975.
1948, Born on this day, Kate Pierson, vocals with the American new wave band The B-52's. Best known for their 1978 debut single 'Rock Lobster and the 1990 UK No.2 & US No.3 single 'Love Shack'.
1949, Born on this day, Clive Taylor, from Welsh rock group Amen Corner who had the 1969 UK No.1 single 'If Paradise Is Half As Nice' plus five other UK Top 40 hits.
1949, Born on this day, Herb Murrell, singer with the Philadelphia soul group The Stylistics who had the 1974 US No.2 single 'You Make Me Feel Brand New', and the 1975 UK No.1 single 'Can't Give You Anything But My Love' and twelve consecutive US R&B top ten hits.
1951, Born on this day, Paul Frehley, from American hard rock band KISS. They scored the 1974 US No.5 single 'On And On', their 1976 US No 11 album Rock and Roll Over spent 26 weeks on the chart and they had the 1987 UK No.4 single 'Crazy Crazy Nights'.
1959, Born on this day, Marco Pirroni, guitarist from English rock band Adam and the Ants who scored the 1981 UK No.1 single 'Stand And Deliver' and 15 other UK Top 40 singles.
1959, Born on this day, Scottish singer, recording artist and actress Sheena Easton, who had the 1980 UK No.3 & 1981 US No.1 single 'Morning Train, Nine To Five'. Easton's other hits include the James Bond theme 'For Your Eyes Only', 'U Got the Look' with Prince and 'We've Got Tonight' with Kenny Rogers.
1972, Born on this day, Bob Coombes, keyboards, from English rock band Supergrass who had the 1995 UK No.2 single 'Alright'. Their 1995 UK No.1 album I Should Coco spent 35 weeks on the UK chart.
1979, Born on this day, Will Boyd, bass, with American rock band Evanescence who had the 2003 UK No.1 & US No.5 single ‘Bring Me To Life’, and the 2003 UK No.1 & US No.3 album Fallen.
1984, Born on this day, Yonah Higgins, singer from R&B/pop girl group Cleopatra who had the 1998 UK No.3 single 'Cleopatra's Theme'.
1984, Born on this day, Patrick Stump, lead singer, rhythm guitarist, with American rock band Fall Out Boy, who had the 2007 US No.1 album Infinity on High. The group's sixth studio album, American Beauty/American Psycho (2015) peaked at No.1, making it the band's third No.1 album and the group's fifth consecutive top 10 album.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2018 at 00:20
April 28th: On this day
1964, The Beatles recorded the TV special ‘Around The Beatles’ at Wembley studios England. As well as performing songs they played Act V Scene 1 of Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummer Nights Dream’ with John playing the female role of Thisbe, Paul as Pyramus, George as Moonshine and Ringo as Lion. Paul later named his cat Thisbe.
1968, The Broadway musical Hair opened at the Biltmore Theatre in New York City. The show featured the songs 'Aquarius / Let the Sunshine In', 'Good Morning Starshine' and the title song. The production ran for 1,729 performances, finally closing on July 1st, 1972.
1973, Pink Floyd’s The Dark Side of The Moon went to No.1 in the US. The album went on to enjoy a record-breaking 741 discontinuous weeks on the Billboard chart, and has now sold over 45 million copies world-wide. After moving to the Billboard Top Pop Catalog Chart, the album notched up a further 759 weeks there, and had reached a total of over 1,500 weeks on the combined charts by May 2006.
1980, Marshall Tucker Band bass player Tommy Caldwell died of injuries from a car accident aged 30 in his hometown of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Caldwell was the original frontman for the Marshall Tucker Band between 1973 and 1980.
1981, Former member of T. Rex, Steve Currie was killed in a car crash returning to his home near Vale de Parra, Algarve, Portugal, he was 33 years old. Joined T. Rex (recently renamed from Tyrannosaurus Rex) as bass guitarist in late 1970, also worked as a session player, played on 'Motorbikin' by Chris Spedding.
1982, The California State Assembly consumer-protection-committee heard testimony from "experts" who claimed that when 'Stairway To Heaven' was played backward, contained the words: "I sing because I live with Satan. The Lord turns me off, there's no escaping it. Here's to my sweet Satan, whose power is Satan. He will give you 666. I live for Satan."
1990, Guns N' Roses leader Axl Rose married Erin Everly, daughter of The Everly Brothers Don at Cupid's Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas. They divorced in January 1991 after a stormy nine months of marriage.
1999, The tour bus carrying The Clint Boon Experience was involved in a near fatal accident when it was involved in a crash outside Glasgow. Members of the band had to be airlifted to hospital.
1999, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
2000, A blaze swept through James Brown Enterprises, the office that co-ordinate the superstar's tours. Nobody was injured, but memorabilia and live tapes were destroyed in the blaze. An employee was later arrested charged with arson.
2000, Paul Atkinson was jailed for three years after being found guilty of stealing more than £25,000 from Rolling Stone Charlie Watts. Atkinson had been the manager of an Arabian stud farm owned by Watts.
2002, Sugababes scored their first UK No.1 single with 'Freak Like Me.' The song was originally by American Adina Howard (1995) and was mixed with the synth line from Gary Numan's 1979 hit 'Are 'Friends' Electric?'.
2006, ABBA star Bjorn Ulvaeus was accused of avoiding paying 87m Swedish kronor (£6.5m) in taxes on the band's hit songs and musicals. The Swedish government was demanding he repaid the money. Abba sold over 370 million records and he also co-wrote the musical Mamma Mia.
2008, Scott Weiland singer with The Stone Temple Pilots was sentenced to 192 hours in county jail for his November 2007 drink driving offence. He was also fined $2000, required to complete an 18-month alcohol programme and was placed on probation for four years.
2009, A TV commercial for insurance featuring Iggy Pop was ruled as misleading by the Advertising Standards Authority. In the advert, the singer was seen exclaiming that he had an insurance policy with Swiftcover but the company did not cover musicians at the time of the ad being shown. Swiftcover had since started to offer policies to musicians, and stated that Mr Pop would continue to endorse the company.
2013, Emeli Sande set a new record for the most consecutive weeks on the UK's Official Album Chart top 10 of any debut album. 'Our Version Of Events' was released in February 2012 and went on to become the biggest selling album that year. The album hadn't dropped out of the top 10 since its release and had been in the UK's Official Album Chart for 63 weeks. The 26-year-old singer had overtaken The Beatles who previously held the record.
2014, Scorpions drummer James Kottak was sentenced to one month in jail in Dubai for offensive behaviour after an incident at Dubai airport on 3 April of this year. He was convicted of insulting Islam, raising his middle finger and being under the influence of alcohol.
2014, Paul Simon and his wife Edie Brickell appeared in court after being arrested over a domestic dispute. The arrest came after a caller from the singers' home phoned the emergency services and then hung up. Simon told a Superior Court judge in Norwalk, Connecticut, he had a rare argument with his wife on Saturday night at their home and they were now fine.
2015, Jack Ely died at the age of 71 after a long illness. The Kingman singer's hit 'Louie Louie' reached the top of the charts in 1963 and sparked an FBI investigation into whether or not its lyrics were obscene.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2018 at 00:21
April 28th: Born on this day
1945, Born on this day, John Wolters, drums, Dr Hook, (1972 UK No.2 and US No.5 single 'Sylvia's Mother').
1952, Born on this day, American musician Chuck Leavell who was a member of the The Allman Brothers Band during the height of their 1970s popularity. He is the longtime keyboardist and musical director with The Rolling Stones and Leavell has also toured and recorded with Eric Clapton, George Harrison, David Gilmour and John Mayer.
1953, Born on this day, Kim Gordon, bassist, artist, record producer, video director and actress. She has sung and played bass and guitar in the alternative rock band Sonic Youth, and in Free Kitten.
1955, Born on this day, Eddie Jobson, English keyboardist and violinist noted for his use of synthesizers who with Curved Air had the 1971 UK No.4 single 'Back Street Luv'. Jobson has also worked with Roxy Music, Jethro Tull and Frank Zappa.
1968, Born on this day, Daisy Berkowitz, with American rock band Marilyn Manson who had the 1998 US No.1 album, Mechanical Animals.
1968, Born on this day, Howard Donald, Take That (1995 UK No.1 single 'Back For Good' and seven other UK No.1 singles, 1993 UK No.1 album 'Everything Changes spent 78 weeks on the UK chart). Re-formed without Robbie Williams in 2006 for a sold-out European tour. Topped the UK singles and album charts simultaneously for the first time in their career when the single ‘Patience’ and album ‘Beautiful World’ both reached No.1 in Dec 2006.
1969, Born on this day, English singer, Mica Paris, who had the 1988 UK No.7 single, 'My One Temptation'.
1973, Born on this day, Bigg Gipp (born Cameron Gipp), US rapper, member of Goodie Mob, features on the US No.1 single ‘Grillz’ by Nelly with Ali & Paul Wall.
1993, Born on this day, Tom Ogden, English singer and guitarist best known as the frontman of the indie pop band Blossoms. Their the self-titled debut studio album peaked at No.1 on the UK chart in Aug 2016.

monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2018 at 00:15
April 30th: On this Day

1957, Elvis Presley recorded the Leiber and Stoller song 'Jailhouse Rock' as featured in his third motion picture of the same name. In the movie, Mike Stoller had a small role as a piano player. 'Jailhouse Rock' later became the first song to debut at No.1 in Great Britain.

1960, The Everly Brothers started a seven week run at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Cathy's Clown', giving Warner Bros a No.1 with their first release.

1964, During a UK tour The Beatles played two shows at The Odeon Cinema in Glasgow. They were also interviewed by BBC Scotland and STV for the evening news programs.

1966, The Rolling Stones fourth album 'Aftermath' went to No.1 on the UK chart, the group's third UK No.1 album. The album is considered an artistic breakthrough for the band and is the first to consist entirely of Jagger–Richards compositions, while Brian Jones played a variety of instruments not usually associated with their music, including sitar, Appalachian dulcimer, marimbas and Japanese koto.

1968, BBC TV launched The Cilla Black Show making Cilla the first British female performer to have her own TV show. The theme song, 'Step Inside Love', was written by Paul McCartney.

1970, Twiggs Lyndon, the road manager for The Allman Brothers Band was arrested for murder after he stabbed a club manager during an argument over a contract. At the ensuing trial, Lyndon's lawyers argued that he had been temporarily insane at the time of the incident and that touring with the Allman Brothers would drive anyone insane. Lyndon was acquitted.

1976, The Who's drummer Keith Moon paid nine cab drivers to block-off both ends of a New York street so he could throw the contents of his hotel room out of the window.

1977, Glen Campbell went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Southern Nights', his second US No.1.

1977, Led Zeppelin broke a new world attendance record at a concert when they played to 76,229 people at a gig at the Pontiac Silverdome, Pontiac, Michigan. The Who held the previous record at the same venue with 75,962 people.

1980, The film 'McVicar' with Roger Daltrey from The Who in the title role premiered in London, England. John McVicar was a 1960s armed robber turned writer who Scotland Yard publicly announced to be Public Enemy Number One and "wanted dead or alive".

1983, American Blues legend Muddy Waters (McKinley Morganfield) died in his sleep at his home in Westmont, Illinois, aged 68. Major influence of many acts, Cream, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones named themselves after Waters' 1950 song 'Rollin' Stone.' Best known songs include 'I Just Want To Make Love To You', 'I'm Your Hoochie Coochie Man', 'Got My Mojo Working.'

1983, Michael Jackson started a three week run at No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Beat It', his fifth solo US No.1. The third single from the singer's Thriller album featured Eddie Van Halen on the song's distinctive overdriven guitar solo, but Halen was prevented by his record label from appearing in the music video.

1988, S'Express were at No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'Theme From S'Express'. One of the landmarks of early acid house and late 1980s sampling culture, the British track sampled Rose Royce, TZ's 'I Got the Hots for You' and the count-in 'Uno, dos, uno, dos, tres, quatro' is from Debbie Harry's 1985 single 'Feel the Spin'.

1990, Prince played a concert at Rupert's Night-club, Minneapolis. The $100 a head ticket proceeds all went to the family of his former bodyguard Charles 'Big Chick' Huntsberry, who had died from a heart attack.

1991, Nirvana signed a recording contract with Geffen's DGC label for $290,000.

1999, Nazareth drummer Darrell Sweet died aged 52, after suffering a fatal heart attack before a show in New Albany, Indiana. Nazareth had the 1973 UK No.9 single 'Broken Down Angel' 1976 US No. 8 single 'Love Hurts'.

1999, The three former members of Spandau Ballet lost a court case against band songwriter Gary Kemp. They had claimed they were owed £1 million in lost royalties. The Judge said he had become a fan of the bands during the case.

2004, New child abuse charges were made against Michael Jackson including a count of conspiracy, covering allegations of child abduction, extortion and false imprisonment. A new court date of May 28th 2004 was set.

2005, The Dave Matthews Band agreed to pay $200,000 (£105,000) after their tour bus dumped human waste on a boatload of tourists in Chicago in August 2004. Bus driver Stefan Wohl who was alone on board the bus at the time the sewage was dumped was fined $10,000 (£5,200), the band had already donated $100,000 (£54,252) to two group's that protect the Chicago River and its surrounding area. The Dave Matthews Band offered their "deepest apologies" to more than 100 boat passengers who were on an architectural tour.

2005, American guitarist Norma-Jean Wofford died. Known as 'The Duchess', she worked with Bo Diddley as a Bo-ette from 1962 to 1966. (Diddley was one of the first artists to have female musicians in his group).

2008, Mariah Carey married actor Nick Cannon in the Bahamas following a whirlwind two-month romance. The pop diva met Cannon, 27, while shooting the music video for her single 'Bye Bye.' It was the second marriage for Carey, who married Columbia Records executive Tommy Mottola in 1993, which ended in 1998. 

2008, Gail Renard, who was given the hand written lyrics to 'Give Peace A Chance' by John Lennon in 1969, announced plans to sell the lyric sheet at a Christie's auction. At the time, Lennon told Renard to hang on to the piece of paper, saying "It will be worth something someday." The piece of music history was expected to fetch around $400,000, but when it was actually sold in July of this year, it went for $790,000 (£400,000).

2014, Guitarist Wilko Johnson had a major operation in an attempt to treat his pancreatic cancer. Johnson was diagnosed at the end of 2012 and was given 10 months to live after rejecting chemotherapy. Johnson told Q magazine that a cancer doctor had become curious as to why he wasn't dead. And why I wasn't even sick which resulted in more tests.

2015, Ben E King, (Benjmin Earl Nelson), soul and R&B singer with The Drifters, died at the Hackensack University Medical Center at the age of 76. The Driffters had the 1960 US No.1 & UK No.2 single 'Save The Last Dance For Me', and King scored the the 1987 UK No.1 solo single 'Stand By Me', (first released in 1961).
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2018 at 00:15
April 30th: Born on this day

1929, Born on this day, American country music and rockabilly singer Johnny Horton who had the 1959 US No.1 & UK No.16 single 'The Battle Of New Orleans'. Horton was killed in a car crash on 5th November 1960.

1936, Born on this day, American musician Bobby Gregg who performed as a drummer and record producer. Gregg is best is known for his work as a drummer on several seminal 1960s songs, including Bob Dylan's 'Like a Rolling Stone' and Simon and Garfunkel's 'The Sound of Silence'. He was also temporarily a member of The Hawks, which later became known as The Band. Gregg died on 3 May 2014.

1943, Born on this day, Bobby Vee, American singer, songwriter and musician who was a teen idol in the early 1960s. He scored the 1961 US No.1 single & UK No.3 single 'Take Good Care Of My Baby' and thirty-eight Hot 100 chart hits, ten of which reached the Top 20. Vee died on October 24, 2016 aged 73.

1948, Born on this day, Wayne Kramer, guitarist, singer, songwriter from American rock band MC5 (Motor City 5) who formed in 1964. Best known for their energetic live performances, one of which was recorded as their 1969 debut album Kick Out the Jams.

1951, Born on this day, Des Tong, bassist with English group Sad Cafe who had the 1979 UK No.3 single 'Every Day Hurts'.

1953, Born on this day, Merrill Osmond, from American family group The Osmonds. They had the 1971 US No.1 single 'One Bad Apple', the 1974 hit 'Crazy Horses' and the 1974 UK No.1 single 'Love Me For A Reason'. They had their own 1972–1973 Saturday morning cartoon series, The Osmonds, on ABC-TV. The Osmonds have sold over 75 million records world wide.

1958, Born on this day, Wonder Mike (Michael Anthony Wright), rapper from The Sugarhill Gang who were the first hip hop act to have a hit with the cross-over single 'Rapper's Delight' in the pop charts in 1979.

1962, Born on this day, Robert Reynolds, bassist from the American band The Mavericks who had the 1998 UK No.4 single 'Dance The Night Away'. The Mavericks won a Grammy Award for the song 'Here Comes the Rain'.

1967, Born on this day, Turbo B American musician, rapper and beatboxer from German Eurodance group Snap! who scored the 1990 UK No.1 & US No.2 single 'The Power' and their 1992 hit 'Rhythm Is a Dancer'.

1968, Born on this day, Ben Ayres, guitar, vocals, from British indie rock band Cornershop, who had the 1998 UK No.1 single 'Brimful Of Asha'.

1969, Born on this day, Paulo 'Destructor' JR, Sepultura, from Brazilian heavy metal Sepultura. Formed in 1984 by brothers Max and Igor Cavalera, the band was a major force in the thrash metal and groove metal genres during the late 1980s and early 1990s.

1971, Born on this day, Darren Emerson, keyboards, from British electronic music group Underworld who had the 1996 UK No.2 single 'Born Slippy'.

1971, Born on this day, Chris Henderson, guitarist, with American rock band 3 Doors Down who had the 2003 US No.4 single When I'm Gone', and the 2005 US No.1 album Seventeen Days.

1981, Born on this day, Justin Vernon, American multi-instrumentalist, singer, songwriter and producer best known as the frontman of indie folk band Bon Iver.

1981, Born on this day, British DJ David Zowie best known for his song 'House Every Weekend', which topped the UK Singles Chart in July 2015.

1982, Born on this day, Cleo Higgins, singer from R&B/pop girl group Cleopatra who had the 1998 UK No.3 single 'Cleopatra's Theme'.

1982, Born on this day, Lloyd Banks, (Christopher Lloyd), US singer, rapper, G-Unit , solo, (2004 US No.1 album ‘The Hunger For More’).

1987, Born on this day, Nikki Webster, Australian singer and model, who had the 2001 Australian No.2 single ‘Strawberry Kisses’. Performed at the 2000 Sydney Summer Olympics Opening Ceremony.

1992, Born on this day, American rapper, singer, songwriter and record producer Travis Scott. His 2016 album Birds in the Trap Sing McKnight went to No.1 on the US chart.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2018 at 00:17
May 1st: On this day
1962, The Beatles started a month long residency at The Star Club, Hamburg, Germany. American musicians including Ray Charles, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Everly Brothers, Bill Haley, Jimi Hendrix and Jerry Lee Lewis also all appeared here.
1964, The Beatles received $140,000 dollars for the rights to having their pictures included in packages of bubble gum in the USA.
1965, Herman's Hermits started a three week run at No.1 in the US singles chart with 'Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter'.
1966, The Beatles played live for the last time in the UK when they appeared at the NME Poll Winners concert at Wembley Empire Pool. The Beatles set included; 'I Feel Fine', 'Nowhere Man', 'Day Tripper', 'If I Needed Someone' and 'I'm Down'. Also on the bill, The Spencer Davis Group, The Fortunes, Herman's Hermits, Roy Orbison, The Rolling Stones, The Seekers, The Small Faces, Dusty Springfield, The Walker Brothers, The Who and The Yardbirds.
1967, 32 year old Elvis Presley married 21 year old Priscilla Beaulieu, a girl he first met in 1959 when she was just 14 years old. When Elvis got out of the army in 1960, Beaulieu moved into the singer's Graceland mansion with her family's blessing. The wedding ceremony took place at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas and although the marriage license was only $15, the wedding cake cost $3,500. The couple divorced after five years of marriage on October 9, 1973.
1967, The F.B.I. arrested The Beach Boys' Carl Wilson on charges of avoiding the military draft and refusing to take the Oath of Allegiance. He was later released and joined the rest of the band in Ireland for a British tour.
1969, Bob Dylan recorded an appearance for The Johnny Cash Show at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, Tennessee. After two solo numbers from Dylan, Johnny Cash joined him for a rendition of 'Girl From The North Country'. In this primetime show, Cash enjoyed booking contemporary performers as guests; Neil Young, James Taylor, Ray Charles and Eric Clapton were all booked to appear on forthcoming shows.
1971, Dave and Ansel Collins were at No.1 in the UK singles chart with 'Double Barrel'. It featured renowned drummer Sly Dunbar who was only 14 when the song was recorded.
1973, In the US, Washington DC, proclaimed a 'Marvin Gaye Day'.
1974, The Carpenters performed at the White House, at the request of President Nixon.
1976, Led Zeppelin started a two-week run at No.1 on the US album chart with Presence, the group's fifth No.1 album.
1976, The Bellamy Brothers went to No.1 on the US singles chart with 'Let Your Love Flow', the duo's only US No.1, a No.7 hit in the UK.
1977, The 'White Riot Tour' kicked of at the Roxy in London with The Clash, The Jam and The Buzzcocks.
1979, Elton John became the first pop star to perform in Israel. In three weeks time he also became the first Western solo pop performer to tour Russia.
1980, The South African government banned Pink Floyd's single 'Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2)' after black children adopted the song as their anthem in protest against inferior education.
1984, Fleetwood Mac drummer Mick Fleetwood filed for bankruptcy. It was reported that the drummer had spent thousands of dollars of cocaine a month, and had refused to listen to financial advisers, buying up several homes, a $400,000 spread in Hawaii and a $1.8 million farm outside Sydney, Australia.
1986, American songwriter and producer Hugo Peretti died aged 70. Wrote and produced many classic hits including, 'Can't Help Falling In Love', 'Twistin' The Night Away', 'Shout', 'The Hustle' and 'You Make Me Feel Brand New.'
1993, George Michael, Queen and Lisa Stansfield went to No.1 on the UK singles chart with 'The Five Live EP' which was recorded at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert held in April 1992, at Wembley Stadium, London.
1997, Status Quo guitarist Rick Parfitt had a quadruple heart by-pass operation after visiting his Harley Street doctor and complaining of chest pains.
1997, The house where Kurt Cobain committed suicide went up for sale. The asking price for the five-bedroom house built in 1902 was $3 million. The carriage house where the Nirvana guitarist died had been demolished.
1999, The Paintings of Paul McCartney exhibit opened at the Lyz Art Forum, Siegen, Germany. The exhibit featured 70 paintings by the former Beatle, including a piece called 'Bowie Spewing' McCartney's representation of a young David Bowie.
2000, A writer who claimed Neil Young went back on an agreement to have a biography written about him filed a $1.8 million civil fraud suit against Young in Los Angeles Superior Court. Young had blocked the book's publication.
2003, American soul singer Barry White suffered a stroke while being treated for kidney failure. The singer died two months later on July 4th 2003.
2005, Coldplay became the first British band to have a new entry in the US Top 10 singles chart since The Beatles. Coldplay's latest single 'Speed Of Sound' entered the chart at number eight, only the second time a UK band has achieved the feat. The Beatles managed it with 'Hey Jude' in 1968.
2005, Tony Christie made chart history by hanging on to the UK number one spot for the seventh week in a row with '(Is This The Way To) Amarillo.' The last single to spend that long at number one was 'Believe' by Cher from October to December 1998.
2005, Bruce Springsteen went to No.1 on the UK album chart with 'Devils & Dust' the American singer songwriters sixth UK No.1.
2005, Matchbox Twenty singer Rob Thomas went to No.1 on the US album chart with his first solo album Something To Be. This marked the first time a male artist from a rock group had debuted at No.1 with his first solo album since the Billboard Top 200 was introduced 50 years ago.
2013, A Minnesota man was accused of pretending to be a member of Pink Floyd at a US hospital racked up as much as $100,000 in unpaid medical bills. Phillip Michael Schaeffer, 53, went for treatment April 20 and claimed he was Pink Floyd singer-guitarist David Gilmour and that he didn't have health insurance. The man was treated and released from the St. Cloud Hospital, Minnesota, but not before he signed an autograph for an employee’s son.
2013, Chris Kelly, one half of the 1990s rap duo Kris Kross, died in an Atlanta hospital at the age of 34. Kelly had been found "unresponsive" at his home. Kris Kross was made up of Kelly, known as "Mac Daddy", and Chris "Daddy Mac" Smith. They are most widely remembered for their 1992 hit 'Jump'.
2014, Justin Bieber's personal assistant was ordered to do community service after police found ecstasy in his room. Xavier Domonique Smith, who is also known as Lil Za, was also sentenced to probation and ordered into a drug treatment programme. He was fined $1,000 (£592).
2015, Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars gave The Gap Band a writing credit on their huge hit 'Uptown Funk', due to its similarities with their 1979 track 'Oops Up Side Your Head'. 'Uptown Funk', which had topped the UK chart for seven weeks and the US chart for 14, originally had six songwriters but was now credited to The Gap Band as well.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 53>