Grove Reunion - November 16th 2018, Abbey Tavern

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grove Reunion - November 16th 2018, Abbey Tavern
    Posted: 22-November-2018 at 15:18
Ah he is, yeah, fond of a curse word or two as well....
TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Sponsored Links

Rahenyrhythm View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2018 at 10:41
Lol, he is sound ... Generally !
One of its legs is both the same
joey the lips View Drop Down
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2018 at 10:22
I am beginning to like this Porky guy Approve
You can checkout anytime u like but u can never leave

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2018 at 23:28
Hmmmmm Mel, sounds like Porky a bit revved up ok...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2018 at 22:42
He spends a day or two a week these days now, down in Mayo, involved in sessions a lot I think. As we left work yesterday evening, at the lift, at around 6.30pm, I was saying "see ya tomorrow" and he said, "nah, ya won't, I'll be in a recording studio!" He seems to have developed a bit of an "ahf**kit!" attitude around the office and just says it as he sees it - if you didn't know the bloke, you'd think him a bit tactless to put it mildy, but I admire his honesty.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 19:12
He sure is Mel, lovely guy. Is he gigging at all I wonder, he is really very talented...
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 18:06
Yeah - I think he told me once that the Porky reference comes from school - you're dead right Gerry - Lorky/Porky.  He won't answer to his real name in the office at all or on the phone.  He's a gas character.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 10:39
Lol - or Elvis being dead, all these myths!!!

Lorcan ... Lorkey ... Porky I assume Poguey. It's gas, he doesn't look anything like whatever mental picture a "Porky" conjures up! I often wondered was it something to do with "Porky and Larry", a cartoon strip in the "In Dublin" magazine of years ago - but I suspect it's just the rhyming thing. A brilliant musician actually, but he'd prob loaf me if I said that to him!!!
Pogue Mahoney View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 10:18
RR-I would guess that having the name "Porky" didn't do his professional career any favours. –"Ladies and gentlemen, on the fiddle in the middle we have Porky! with Daffy and Donald backing on trombone and drums."
HAHThumbs Up
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 10:14
one giant leap for mankind ,The Grove
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 10:12
Originally posted by Vinyl Junkie Vinyl Junkie wrote:

The only ones I have seen of the reunion are on Facebook, Pogue. Frank is normally one of our resident Website photographers but he wasn't there.

It's like a tree falling in the forest. If there was a reunion and no pictures were taken was there really a reunion?

I think you guys just made the reunion thing up...just like the moon landingApprove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-November-2018 at 09:19
He sure is Fank, and a very talented one (I worked with Porky for years). If there was a proper structure for supporting musical talent here, Porky would be a full-time musician. Lorcan Murphy is his real name.
monarch View Drop Down
Oldest Grover 67-72?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monarch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 23:44
Originally posted by Vinyl Junkie Vinyl Junkie wrote:

Heya Gerry, I was telling the lads in here - Mick H, Porky and Ciaran Parnell that I met you at the reunion and they were all asking for you.  Ciaran is a member on here (as "Roundabouttoo") and he is also on the Grove page on FB.  He says he will be in touch. Thumbs Up

Mel is Porky a fiddle player ? .

There is a crack in everything ...... that's how the light gets in
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 21:01
The only ones I have seen of the reunion are on Facebook, Pogue. Frank is normally one of our resident Website photographers but he wasn't there.
I have no life!
I have no life!
68-71

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogue Mahoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 19:20
All of this is very well and good but I'm still waiting to see pictures Stern Smile 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 15:58
Lol Joey, you and a couple of million others
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 14:33
Afraid not RR,I did have to visit them in the 90s all the same Stern Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 13:07
Ha ha Joey, I'll keep an eye on him ok. Don't tell me you're a "Social warfare" alumnus as well?!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rahenyrhythm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 13:05
Ah thanks Mel, delighted the lads said hello. Tell them hello back, and every best wish to them. Tell them I said bring ISTS back, it was the best lol! (maybe duck when you say that )

Yeah I recognised Ciaran OK, I didn't want to be at him in case he wouldn't like it or whatever (I know, stupid of me). I'd be thrilled if he got in touch ...

Thanks Mel for being such a mate...
1979 -1983

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joey the lips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-November-2018 at 13:02
If you think Rolo needs watching around your pint LOL RR that Ciaran Parnell fella will try and take it out of your hand Hug
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>