Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 169>
Author
I spend too much time here!!!
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stories from your childhood
    Posted: 24-November-2005 at 09:05

Whilst reading through the stories behind peoples usernames I was laughing at Crusty's. He said he got his name from the crusts being taken off his bread.

It reminded me of when I was young and if we were sick me Ma would tuck you up in her bed, which always seemed more comfortable than your own, and would bring you up a boiled egg and bread with no crusts,like little soldiers.

Another time she's mash potatoes and cabbage together and put butter over it and run the fork over the food to make lines like a ploughed field. It was delicious.

Used to love being sick Wink

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Sponsored Links

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 11:36

Ahh Pat what would we do without Mothers! I would come in from school sometimes and my Mam would make "hole in the middle" what might sound awful to some but it was potatoe and she would mash it up and make a wall out of it and put boiled milk in the middle with a little bit of butter - the object was to see how long you could get the wall to stand.  We loved it.  She would also give us tea and we would dip bread into it - what we would later call goody...

When I was sick I was also put into my parents bed, snuggled up. Loved thatBig smile.

My Dad worked for Guinness’s and would normally get home about 8 at night.  Mam would always send me in to ask him what he wanted for dinner and the answer would be "Plum Duff" or "Smadder molally and onions"... or if I said to him "what's that" he'd say "that's a diggery do for catching bladderhawks"... that normally shut me up.  Funny thing is I heard my brother saying that to his little fella not so long ago.. How the traditions carry on, it's wonderful.

We would all clean up with baths on Saturday night and then it was to the sitting room, lights off and The High Chapperal - Manolito sticks out in my mind.  I also remember watching Get Smart, Mission Impossible, Hawaii 50.  On the cartoon front it was Top Cat and Mr Magoo and the woody wood pecker and of course Me Mep The Road Runner.  Then there was wonderly wagon, The magic roundabout - Dougal... and a little older I remember Swap Shop on a Saturday Morning...

Christmas! I remember sitting at the base of the tree thinking it was so tall.  I would later find out it was only about 3ft... One Christmas I remember being led by the hand down the stairs by my older brother to find the best tea set ever.  I remember the days that we got those big stockings and the one thing we loved was the parachute man. I remember getting doll house furniture and cutting up a shoe box and making rooms out of it... what child would do that now.  I remember the paper dolls - so simple.  (I remember getting up one Christmas day and half the ham missing from my heard of brothers who returned home on a Christmas eve with a belly full of beer...)  We would eat a fine dinner and then Dad would set light to the pudding to which we would add brandy butter - yummy.  Then an evening of films - Oliver Twist, Annie get your gun and so on.  Boy we didn't get much but got everything!

In the summer since Mam was from Mayo and Dad from Kilkenny we would head off into the country for a couple of weeks - 8 of us pilled into the car.  Off to Mayo we would go, first stopping in the same restaurant in Longford every year for chips!! Then continue on our journey to Ballina - Castlecloghans actually out in the depts. of the west.  Pulling up I would spot my Granddad sitting at the window and then Grandma would appear to the door in delight to see her daughter.  Nearing the door was the smell of bacon and cabbage the best ever.  Grandma used to bath me in the old bath with legs in the middle of the stone floor kitchen... I remember her black booties and her navy smock and silver grey hair.  Granddad would sit me up on his knee and ask me to sing "Come by the hills" and out would come his wallet and a pound note would be handed to me.  I loved the smell of his pipe.  The one thing that sticks out in my mind was the out house and how I would wake up in the middle of the night and have to run out in the dark to the God forsaken outhouse...I remember going to the bog or going back the fields to bring in the cows for milking or climbing the walls of the castle across the road to find clay pipes. So many great memories in Mayo!

We would travel on then through Ennis and Cork staying a night in each place where aunts and uncles lived and then KILKENNY... yeah we loved Kilkenny. Going to the Hurley matches, playing pongo at the town festival and playing hand ball in the alley.  I learned how to swim in the local river.  I begged every year to be left there for the summer and when that time finally came boy was I made up.  We would sit in the kitchen until the early hours of the morning playing cards and it did not matter what time we went to bed we would always kneel to say the Rosary.   My aunt and uncle had a shop in Mullinavat at the house and they also sold milk to the locals that came straight from the milking parlor.  Sometimes we were sent for milk late at night to the parlor.  The roads were pitch black and we would tell ghost stories along the way - frighten the sh*te out ya.

Back to school then for another year.  Back to the house where the smell of brown bread and apple and rhubarb tarts were a trade mark of the Kelly household. Even when I went back to Ireland for my Mothers funeral what would I find upon entering the house but a fresh batch of brown bread she had baked before leaving for a weekend to Ashford Castle from which she would never return. Ya see she had won spin the wheel with Mike Murphy and part of her winnings was that weekend away.  She went out on a blaze of glory.

Edited by eejit91
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 11:57

My mother never cooked think that is why none of us do either

We would have to wait till my Father came home from work and cook the dinner But it would me worth the wait He was a great cookBig smile

Kay Fagan
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 12:02

What's this,

A Raheny tradition or what ?

Eejit doesn't cook ,Ommelette excepted , Kay doesn't cook, maybe ye skipped all the Home Economics classes in M.H.

Rolo.

Ann Whelan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 15:47

Re: Ahh Pat what would we do without Mothers!

We wouldn't be here! Unless we waz concieved imaculato conceptionay a la carte if ye know wat I means!Amazing how many of the memories are food related!

My mother use to do the 'Soldiers' also and bring me up my breakfast in bed each morning during the holidays and on w/e's. One time in the days before we had a phone she had bought me a twin set of phones that were connected via a long wire and were battery operated. If you dialed a number the other phone rang and the little red light flashed. It was very exhilarating a la carte. The only setback was that you did not get the "Je T'aime" soundtrack answering service. I had one phone next to my bed and the wires were flung over the banisters and lead to the kitchen where I would dial down with my order. My mother  use to get up my wick each time that she answered the phone and with her newly acquired telephone voice where she would say "The Whelan Residence. Who is speaking please?". Naturally enough she always got a full blast of "Who do you think is speaking!" back at her. I would phone down putting in orders for freshly squeezed orange juice etc and she would be running up & down the stairs with trays of stuff! She got great exercise in those days.

My father also worked in Guinness's and in the summer as soon as I would hear the front door closing and he was off to work I would run into my parents room and jump into the bed next to my mother. I loved how the bed was still warm! Loved the luxury of lying there all snug and warm next to my mother. My brother and I use to use her bed as a trampoline and her lying in it! Great fun!

We use to go to the Guinness shows such as "Oliver" and the Swimming up by James St. Each year I use to enter the Guinness Safety First Competition for art and each year won prizes. At Christmas we were tres popular in de hood as my mother use to give out the free pint bottles of the black stuff to all the neighbours for the Christmas pudding making industry. My father would only ever drink draft and he use to give the freebies away all year long, except at Christmas when my mother dispatched them to all on the Crescent. Arthur G RIP. I also recall how on Christmas morning it was traditional that our neighbours called into the house and hot mince, pudding, Christmas cake, After Eights etc were all passed around. My mother would dish out large wine glasses of Harvey Bristol Cream Sherry to her friends still unaware of the shot measures. She would get the glasses and have them all on a crystal tray, if I asked could I have uno glass, she would stare me in the eye and say "Well just the one". When I saw all the glasses filled to de brim and next to them was a lone anorexic microscopic sherry glass semi full, I would daringly say to her "I suppose this one is for Mary!" Knowing full bloody well that one was intended for me! When she wasn't looking I refilled it. Several times!

When I was sick as in a cold, since I was rarely ill in my life, my mother use to make a bed for us on the sofa so that we could relax in the comfort and warmth of the living room and watch TV. She would put a small table next to us with hankies, Ribina, cough sweets, a large bar of Cadbury's milk chocolate and I remember one time she bought me a Yogi Bear book which I loved for years! To this day I can still remember the joy I got of looking thru the book at the colourful illustrations. I never forgot that book. When I was older and was sick, I remember she had to go into town and she came home with some singles for me "Lost Without your Love"-Bread and "Everyman must have a Dream"-Liverpool Express. My mother was quite good and could be let out in a record store! They were the "Golden Disc" days.  She loved Rod Stewart, John Lennon,  Cat Stephens, Bruce Springsteen, Rory Gallagher....and would buy their albums so I could live with that!!! As I always have claimed, it is all in de training, you really do have to train them well in the early stages. The funniest thing I ever remember was when "Rumors"-Fleetwood Mac was out I had that on the turntable for years with the repeat button pressed on. In my bedroom at home I had a life size mural of the front of that album on my wall and I use to love just hanging out in my room listening to the music, especially in the summer or before I went out when I was getting ready to go out. One weekend I had the music blasting away when my grandmother popped her head into my room and said and I quote "That is very nice music. Who is that playing?" I informed her that it was Fleetwood Mac and she nodded in approval and said "Very nice" before trotting back downstairs! Amazing the memories that stick in your head.

Re:My Dad worked for Guinness’s and would normally get home about 8 at night.  Mam would always send me in to ask him what he wanted for dinner and the answer would be "Plum Duff" or "Smadder molally and onions"... or if I said to him "what's that" he'd say "that's a diggery do for catching bladderhawks"... that normally shut me up.  Funny thing is I heard my brother saying that to his little fella not so long ago.. How the traditions carry on, it's wonderful.

I hope that some of the traditions in our house here are never passed on such as this one! One day whilst embarking on the dinner for my next of kin and de minors I decided to become creative with the presentation of the meal, which for me is nothing unusual as Tom Jones and his knicker collection would reinforce. In order to surprise the minors I decided to make the dinner resemble a little caricature face. So I did the mash potatoes in a round face shape, gave my little character Alpha Organic Beansprout Hair (Vidal Sassoon would have turned Eco friendly green had he seen this!), a beaming smile make out of McCann's sweet green peas, thin arched carrot strip eyebrows, cucumber eyes with dilated black olive pupils and a vegetarian sausage standing erect to resemble what I thought looked like a Pinocchio nose after a mega lying session. I had the table set beautifully and called everyone to the dine. Andres and Veacha, food addicts that they are came first to the table and their eyes were in awe as they looked at this culinary object d'art that was surprisingly awaiting them. I was standing there feeling snug as a bug at my Delia Smith Delights efforts until my next of kin arrived at the table, looked in wonder at what was on his plate and rather confused asked in monotone "What is this?" I told him to look, study the dinner and then tell me what he thought it was. Before I go any further may I just say that this man has no vivid imagination or is into the creative arts. Object de Farts would be more down his street but there you go. Each to his own.  He attempted to concentrate on the plate as Andres and Veacha's eyes glittered with delight watching him to see if he could guess correctly, just like they had. We were all channeling imaginary brain waves in his direction hoping for a miracle when suddenly he dashed all our dreams. He looked me in the eye and as serious as anything said and I do not jest, nor am I making this up. He said solemnly "It is a male Body part". Imagine!!!!! All he must have looked at was the said sausage because as I said to him looking at the extremely thin & wilting arched vegetarian sausage, if that is what a 'male body part' looks like then I have been living in de dark for decades. It just shows the perverted mind I married! Thank God his reply was wasted on de minors and they got the greatest of joy out of telling him what everything was, as in eyebrows, hair, teeth,  nose (male body part)....later on I summonsed him over to de sink where I questioned him privately as to the whereabouts of the said testicular missing section that should have accompanied the said lone sausage. Needless to say he was left speechless ......

Gosh you could write volumes on this topic .... love hearing other people's fond or funny memories I must admit!

Ann
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 17:42

Hi Ann

Love all your stories

We had some traditions in our house on Christmas morning My Father would get up early and have the fire lit when we all came down and we open Santa Presents.He would cook a great big BreakfastThen we go to Mass and after we would have to go to our Grandparents house in a huff As all we wanted to do is stay at home and play with all our toy's

As we all got older and moved away we all still had to wait till we were all together to open all the presents on Christmas

Kay Fagan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 17:43
Between Simon Le Bon missing one and my next of kins dinner missing both ...Confused ...
Ann
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 17:45

Hi Rolo

How right you are Home Economics Classes where a load of Bull in M.S

Kay Fagan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann Whelan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2005 at 18:20
My mother use to take us into Cleary's each year to see Santa and visit wonderland there. I loved queuing up by the main stairs and the excitment as you moved a little further on down in the line nearer to Santa's grotto. When we eventually got to Santa I'd hid behind my mothers in tears...was very shy as a child.... I loved getting the presents tho! I made my poor mother (RIP) take us into every Santa in town and proceeded to do the waterworks scenario at each one. The best presnt for Christmas that I ever got was a dolls house.....I never recovered from the joy of that. After I left college and started working the first thing I did was buy a collectors piece Georgian Dolls house....it has about 15 rooms.....spent all my wages on decorating it ....bought another Tudor style Dolls house in Browne Thomas another year for myself for Christmas.......I could spend years in Dolls House shops.........................Embarrassed Talk about tradition. Last year I bought my then 3yr old daughter Veacha the most beautiful dolls house.....it lit up, had a doorbell that when you rang the bell, the bell rang and a dog barked.....it was magical or so I thought. She had not got it 24hrs, and had removed the roof, double glazing windows, doors and patio doors, removed all the mechanical mechinism so that nothing worked.....to this day I still cannot talk about it. I will be seeking therapy next week with Dr. PhilEmbarrassed
Ann
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 04:30

Didn't think I'd have anything to contribute to this topic but when Ann mentioned Christmas and her grandmother in the same post it got me thinking.

As kids,we'd invariably spend Christmas Eve,Christmas Day and St.Stephen's Day at my Grandmother's house ( I'd say 'til I was about nine )  ,the highlight of which was her annual Stephen's night Party 'cos we were allowed stay up real late.Also remember Grandad cooking the traditional fry up at about seven on Christmas morning.

I remember the first year we spent Christmas at home,panicking in case Santa wouldn't realise that we weren't at the Granny's gaff anymore.

Same Granny used rent a cottage in a small fishing village in East Cork every August and the three of us and my three cousins would spend the whole month there being looked after by Granny,Grandad and a couple of Great Aunts and Uncles.This went on for about 10-12 years ,reckon I went from about aged 5 'til 16. My sister made some really good friends during these years and still keeps in touch with them. ( I was just a moody,unsociable little brat.)

I've tried to instill the same sense of responsibility into my own old pair,( I mean imagine being able to dispose of the kids for a whole month and them having the time of their lives ) but to no avail.

Having said that though,they're quite good on the babysitting front.

Anyway,that'll do for the moment.

Lenny, you'll have nothing to contribute to this topic,seeing that you're still in your childhood.

Rolo.

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:43

Teresa,

You're kidding, you mean your Aunt won a big prize on spin the wheel, went to Ashford Castle and actually died there. How old was she ?

That's an amazing story altogether.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:48
No not my Aunt my Mom.   Yep she got to spin the wheel and won a couple of other things.  She brought her sister over from England and they both went there for the weekend.  She even sent me a postcard which I received after I got back from her funeral!! My Mother was 71.  They had a great time there, my cousin came to pick them up on the Sunday and bring them to Ballina for a few days but she had the heart attack that night.

Edited by eejit91
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 10:54

Teresa,

For once I'm speechless.

With both mine still alive can't imagine.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:02

Rolo if only you had seen the church at both of their funerals, now you know Raheny church is big, well there was no parking in Raheny at all.  There could be no better tribute than that.  Mam died July 4th and I remember flying out of New York and the fire works going off over the hudson!!! Such is life...  Your lucky to have both of your parents, I say that to everyone who has.  Treasure them.

Edited by eejit91
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:07

Yeah, funny isn't it.

When you're a kid,you rely on them for everything and here we are at 40+ still asking them to help us out with babysitting and stuff.

You'd think they'd done their bit at this stage and should be entitled to the bit of relaxation.

Having said that,they wouldn't have it any other way, 'specially the oul fella. He'd bring the older lad golfing a fair bit which he enjoys.

You said Martin was a golfer, did he play here before the big move ?

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:11

Martin played on and off when at home but was a big soccer player, playing for Olten and then Lusk UTD. 

Took up golf big time when he came here and holds a 4 handicap.  He has a standing tee time every Sunday.

I'm a very understanding wife!

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:16

No only asking 'cos I've been in St.Annes for a good number of years.

Never got anywhere 4 though. 13 was the best I've managed.

You ever try it ?

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:19
Now and then - don't care much for it.  Get fed up of chasing a ball around after about 6 holes.  We live on a golf course, Martin plays with the lads and I SHOP!!!! I have about 2 handicap in that department!!!!Big smile
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:24

That's like the old joke 'bout the fella who's Credit Card was stolen but never reported it to the Gardai 'cos the thief was spending less than his wife.

Has he ever got to Scotland to play,now there's a treat for a keen golfer.

Rolo.

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:27
No but I am sure he would love to - he's been to the Carolinas alright and when we go home my brothers grab him away normally to the country for a few days.  Seems like we always pick the perfect time to go home to blend with a golfing weekend my brothers have planned.... by the way coming home in May by the looks of things - see perfect golfing time - he really wants to go to the Rider cup....

Edited by eejit91
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 169>