Forum Home Forum Home > Non Grove Related Stuff > Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from your childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 169>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:31

But Ryder Cup's in September.

As mentioned previously,I've a mate in Edinburgh ( remember 40th Kilt etc.) so I hop over quite a bit and have got to several of the famous championship venues. All magic and good value at certain off peak times.

Actually got to St.Andrews on the Monday after Tiger won the Open this summer.The grandstands and scoreboards were still up.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
Sponsored Links

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:33
Yep so what I mean is if there is any chance of him getting tickets for that it will be more like September than May.  I sent away for lottery tickets for the Rider cup just after the last one here.  I also wrote to them... The things we do...
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2005 at 11:39

Ah right,sorry.

So potential EGM of ( can't remember what I called it on the other thread ) The Hopelessly Addicted Senior Forum Members ......... whatever could be a runner then ?

This is like when you were a kid on the phone " You hang up first " etc.

See ya later. Defo this time.

Rolo.

Edited by Rolo
Stevie View Drop Down
1976-81ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 11:25

Hi Eeejit91,

Actually had tears in my eyes reading about your Mom, how terrible for you -but what a way to go...I'm lucky too, we've had some close situations but both parents are here 73 & 75 respectively and I depend on them a lot.

As for Lenny, we shouldn't be talking about things that are too advanced for him..sure he still belives in Santy...schuuuh

Stevie

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2005 at 13:37
Yeah Lenny, what is Santy bringing you for Christmas. 
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:52
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Lenny, you'll have nothing to contribute to this topic,seeing that you're still in your childhood.

Rolo.

jealousy will get you no where! :)

work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:56

Originally posted by eejit91 eejit91 wrote:

No not my Aunt my Mom.   Yep she got to spin the wheel and won a couple of other things.  She brought her sister over from England and they both went there for the weekend.  She even sent me a postcard which I received after I got back from her funeral!! My Mother was 71.  They had a great time there, my cousin came to pick them up on the Sunday and bring them to Ballina for a few days but she had the heart attack that night.

dont want to sound insensitve or anything eejit, but it sounds like she was having a great time before she passed, and didnt suffer!

i lost my father a couple of years ago tocancer and it was a horrible way to go. also lost my younger brother (22) last year which was also pretty rough.

he never got to go to the grove, but would have absolutely loved it. we are bringing his girlfriend to the grove on the 27th!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 03:59

Yeah Lenny, what is Santy bringing you for Christmas. 

hopefully a nice honda crf450! but probably not :(

xgrovehead View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!

88/89 ish to 1992ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xgrovehead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 05:28

Jaysus,

What a first post for me to pick on after a week off the site.

Sitting here in work reading all this with tears in my eyes.  Teresa - god rest her as Lenny said it sounds like she had a great time at the end and at least it was quick.

Bit over emotional, close aunt is having tests at the mo and its not looking good, but thats life isn't it.

Lovely memories of childhood from you all, I'll try and post later if I'm feeling less teary!

xgh

We have not inherited the earth from our ancestors, we have only borrowed it from our children.
-Ancient Proverb.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 05:30

my earliest childhood memory was last week :)

seriously, i was about 5, it was my birthday and i walked into my mam and dads bedroom. my dad was showing my cousin his trainset, that he wouldnt show me cos id wreck it (i wrecked everything as a kid) so of course, i ended up getting the trainset and wrecking it.lol

eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 12:51
Originally posted by Stevie 
<P>Hi Eeejit91,</P>
<P>Actually had tears in my eyes reading about your Mom, how terrible for you -but what a way to go...I'm lucky too, we've had some close situations but both parents are here 73 & 75 respectively and I depend on them a lot. Stevie

Hi Eeejit91,

Actually had tears in my eyes reading about your Mom, how terrible for you -but what a way to go...I'm lucky too, we've had some close situations but both parents are here 73 & 75 respectively and I depend on them a lot. wrote:

Thanks Stevie it was the best way to go and I would see it no other way.  Keep enjoying your parents, it's great to have them.

Edited by eejit91
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2005 at 12:56

Originally posted by Lenny3fingers Lenny3fingers wrote:

dont want to sound insensitve or anything eejit, but it sounds like she was having a great time before she passed, and didnt suffer! 

Lenny not insensitive at all - the best way it could ever have went for us and we know that.  I am so sorry to hear of your Dad, my own Dad had a pretty rough end.  Terrible thing to see.  I was only 18.  Then to hear of your brother - gosh what a loss.  My story was never supposed to be sad just interesting at the end.

Edited by eejit91
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 02:23

My story was never supposed to be sad just interesting at the end.

its still sad to loose a loved one no matter how they go. It was interesting, and im glad your mother had a good time before she moved on.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
I spend too much time here!!!
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 08:42

My Ma and Da used to lock the door on Christmas morning so we couldn't see what Santa brought. They'd leave the curtains open a bit in the front of the house so we could see the presents as we went to Mass !!. In Mass you couldn't think of anything but what was in those presents.

Then they'd leave a plate with some Christmas cake crumbs and an empty bottle of Guinness.

My Da would shout on Christmas morning "He came !!!" .

God, the excitment of it all.

I used do the same with my 2 lads.

Do you all remember the games you played when kids.

Who remembers Releaveo where you had sides and you'd be chased and if caught had to stand until one of your team came and releaved you.

Or Rounders. Cowboys and Indians. Marbles. Conkers.

May be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride.

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 08:45

Yeah Pat,

My kids still play it,only now it's called " Kick the Can " or something.

Sure, we still do the Carrot and Whiskey bit for Santa,though the small fella's starting to get a bit suspicious.

What about Red Rover ?

Rolo.

Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 08:51
Originally posted by Rolo Rolo wrote:

Yeah Pat,

My kids still play it,only now it's called " Kick the Can " or something.

Sure, we still do the Carrot and Whiskey bit for Santa,though the small fella's starting to get a bit suspicious.

What about Red Rover ?

Rolo.

Yeah, Red Rover............I remember the name but how did it go?

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:11

There was broken statues, aunts and uncles, Pussy 4 corners, witches in the well, good angels and bad angels, Red Rover, Relieveo, curb, marbles, concors, 5 asides, tying the rope around the tree and that would be the place to hang out for the summer.  Kiss chasing down St. Anne’s park.  ahhh those were the days.

Sally may we cross the golden water, remember that.  Gosh I remember my mam and dad going to England and bringing me back new “dare I say it” knickers with big splashes of color on them - they were the bee’s knees.  Anyhow we would play "Sally may we cross the golden water" and then they would say” not unless you have the color lets say red.  Well I would always drag up me dress and say "I have" - those knickers we great -EXCEPT- I had about 20 pairs of them and someone would always say " you had those knickers on ya yesterday"... of course I would roar back at them I have about 20 pairs of them - they must of been giving them out free on the boat... I would go running off in tears....

Do you remember the sweets, dodger bars and winger bars, trigger bars and snowballs, milk teeth...?

I remember two dogs getting stuck together as we thought!!! So young and innocent.  Well I remember a gang of us standing there going it's a dodger bar and someone else saying no it's a winger bar! Only because there was a wrapper off a bar stuck to one of the dogs arses... until someone came out with a bucket of water!!! Oh the stories could go on for ever....

Edited by eejit91
Biker Pat View Drop Down
72-75

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biker Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:16

There was broken statues, aunts and uncles, Pussy 4 corners, witches in the well, good angels and bad angels, Red Rover, Relieveo, curb, marbles, concors, 5 asides, tying the rope around the tree and that would be the place to hang out for the summer.  Kiss chasing down St. Anne’s park.  ahhh those were the days.

Sally may we cross the golden water, remember that.  Gosh I remember my mam and dad going to England and bringing me back new “dare I say it” knickers with big splashes of color on them - they were the bee’s knees.  Anyhow we would play "Sally may we cross the golden water" and then they would say” not unless you have the color lets say red.  Well I would always drag up me dress and say "I have" - those knickers we great -EXCEPT- I had about 20 pairs of them and someone would always say " you had those knickers on ya yesterday"... of course I would roar back at them I have about 20 pairs of them - they must of been giving them out free on the boat... I would go running off in tears....

Do you remember the sweets, dodger bars and winger bars, trigger bars and snowballs, milk teeth...?

I remember two dogs getting stuck together as we thought!!! So young and innocent.  Well I remember a gang of us standing there going it's a dodger bar and someone else saying no it's a winger bar! Only because there was a wrapper off a bar stuck to one of the dogs arses... until someone came out with a bucket of water!!! Oh the stories could go on for ever....

Sweet cigarettes Wink

The original Tayto with the salt satchet in it.

Penny bars

Getting a rifle for Christmas and putting caps in it.

We used to play a game where we'd put up fences and pretend we were horses in the Aga Khan cup and we'd have 3 faults for a refusal and four for fence down etc..

Who remembers Bubble Cars ?

Biker Pat

Grove 1972-1975
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:22

Yeah Pat we used to do the Aga Khan cup thing also!!! now your talkin....

Rolo View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
�79 - �85

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2005 at 09:53

Jaysus Teresa,

Knickers again...............................................

Is there anything you need to tell us ?

Rolo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 169>