The Grove Social Club Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Grove Social Club > Knacker Drinking & Pre-Grove Activities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Knacker Drink in St. Annes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Grove Years 1979-1983-84ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knacker Drink in St. Annes
    Posted: 13-October-2005 at 20:14

After speaking with my husband which also was a true Grove goer he told me some crazy stories.

To start he was off out for a Saturday night  and proceeded to go for a few ciders down St. Anne’s Park and onto the beach front where he smoked himself to death - black Moroccan I believe… yikes… from there it was up to the Grove where he desecrated the place per the words of one of bouncers.  His friend was pulled by the collar and sent out to take care of him.  What a sight – you’d never believe that of him now…  He was left by one of the bouncers hanging over his motorbike and when asked by his friend could he drive home – he said, start my motorbike, which he did… he then drove home and was greeted by his Mother… Jasus Martin she said to her husband – will ya look at the state of him… the rest was pure history.  Grounded for a week!

Edited by eejit91
"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
Sponsored Links

Lenny3fingers View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-November-2005 at 12:33
i remember the oul knacker drinking in st annes allright. one night i was in there with a mate and my gf and her sister, cops come over and take all their drink and leave me with my lovely bulmers!! strange
work. the curse of the drinking classes!

-----grover 90 - 96 ish------
Li''leGer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Li''leGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 19:55

Where to start with St. Annes ....... I remember the special branch out one night and they chased us through st. annes, up the avenue and across the fields (just at texaco garage). I still managed to hang on to my Ritz and outran them, the things we had to do! 

Ger
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 20:24

LOL - go on Ger ye mad thing!!

Everyone, This is Ger, my better half. We met at the grove, 12 years later still going strong!!

Hayseed Dixie View Drop Down
Really Really Senior Member
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 20:42

Hey Ger...welcome

Another Grove couple joins ..yaaay!!

I'm telling Ya Lenny..never mind Zhivago's..Love stories began in the Grove..hehehe!!

Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 20:43
Just thinking actually..

bet the Gards wish that's all they had to worry about these days huh!

Chasing a bunch of half stoned hippies around Raheny..hehehe!!
Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again. - (Henri Cartier-Bresson)
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 21:02
Originally posted by Hayseed Dixie Hayseed Dixie wrote:

Hey Ger...welcome

Another Grove couple joins ..yaaay!!

I'm telling Ya Lenny..never mind Zhivago's..Love stories began in the Grove..hehehe!!

Funny that you say that! I had an email from my sis in law this morning regarding the grove and she told me that herself and my brother met at the old grove - and in her words said "Love stories begin at the grove" ditto....

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better."
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 21:08
wow!! That is probably unique..

they should have been on the documentary...

Can't imagine there are too many people who met at the original Grove and are still together now..
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 21:20

i wasnt even born when the original grove was on!!

’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 21:24

I was ..but I lived across the water and was probably still listening to Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers..

was the only record me ma had ....!!

...There was a wild colonial boy...Jack duggan was his name....Yeee Haaar!!
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 13:00
Stop lying.....you still listen to them.....
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
’79 - ’84 (approx)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hayseed Dixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 13:21

HAHA!!

Well if I did..still better than George Michael....and god forbid.....Robbie Williams...ahem,!!
BakerBabe View Drop Down
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster
84/88 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BakerBabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 19:38

Hi all groveys - I am so glad that I found this site!! I was a grovey back in 84 til about 88/89 - I have to say that I learnt all I know in the Grove !!!!!!!!!!!! Ah the documentary the other nite had me in tears - poor Cecil he was so upset - I am dying to go to the reunion now - naturally my younger sisters will be there as will my Future Brother in Law !!! Thanks Len !!! 

A womans place is on the Phone......
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny3fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-September-2006 at 21:01
no problemo!

irish_mammy View Drop Down
Die Hard Grover!
 Die Hard Grover!
80-84 ish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_mammy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2006 at 07:01

My friends and I were too "posh" or lazy to go knacker drinking in St. Annes. We just plastered the make up on and went to "the sheds". For years my mother thought I was knacker drinking, she didn't realise it was a pub!! We liked our comfort even back then. Plus the guys were better looking in the pub.

irish_mammy

Lesley

25th June - 25th July. Get organising my nights out. Child can stay in the car.

Grove 1980-1984
Bluebell View Drop Down
I have no life!
I have no life!
1981 to 1984

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bluebell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2006 at 14:02
Hi and welcome to the forum Irish mammy... We (me and my girlfriends) never went knacker drinking in St Annes either cos like you by the time we were 16/17yrs we were getting served in pubs....I was... a still am tall, so like you we would slap on the make-up and off the the pub we would trot....only got refused about once or twice.....
You are what you wanna be....age doesn't matter
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2006 at 16:06
Ah you missed out on an entire era in the park... Nothing like swigging out of a bottle walking up the mansion road...
Vinyl Junkie View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
79-86 (roughly)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vinyl Junkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-October-2006 at 23:38

Welcome Irish_Mammy

Ah, knacker drinking was the business.  Bit of a pain on winter nights but there used to be droves drinking down the park down near the old mansion during the summer.  Scoff 3-4 polo mints or mint gum on the way back up and you were sorted.

TPFKAB (The Poster Formerly Known As Brunswick).
Kay Fagan View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kay Fagan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-October-2006 at 22:32
knacker drinking was the best.There was always a big gang of us we had some great nights down there.Wouldn't walk down the park now at night
Kay Fagan
eejit91 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eejit91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 14:20
Me neither Kay but we did have some great nights didn't we walking up the mansion road.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>